The Anime Appreciation Thread Page 25

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Feb 2018 22:14:00 3,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FrostPan I was uncertain about FranXX for the first few episodes, but am largely sold on it now. It spends quite a lot of time on world-building and setup, rather than jumping straight into the thick of things.

That's one of the big advantages of a 2-cour show, though. You have the time to do that kind of thing. Trigger only seem to do 2-cours. Good on them.
  • Ror 4 Mar 2018 13:15:35 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I finished Net-juu last night, really enjoyed it. Now a little bit sad it's finished :( Still have the OVA though...

I might get back to Sword Art Online, having only ever watched the first episode. See how I go.

Edited by Ror at 17:43:24 04-03-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Mar 2018 15:52:40 3,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror SAO is a mixed bag. Its first arc, which covers most of the first series, is generally very strong despite some occasional wobbles. The remainder of the first series and the first two thirds of the second is mostly uninspired genre fair, though things really, really pick up again towards the end of the second season.

It's a good adaptation of patchy source material. Good production values and a decent initial concept fighting against some intermittent juvenile writing.
  • Ror 4 Mar 2018 17:43:04 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah, I've always heard very mixed things about it. I'll give it a go and see how I feel.
  • FrostPan 4 Mar 2018 21:18:07 1,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ror

I found Sword Art Online to be a decent anime. Has flaws, but overall good times to be had. If you looking for other recommendations on Crunchyroll, I recommend these shows:

Poco's Udon World (Absolute cuteness. Endearing story and at times had me in brink of emotional tears. Since you enjoyed Dragon Maid, you may enjoy this).

ReLIFE (Pretty great and consistently enjoyable).

Flip Flappers (Visually pleasing and overall a fun adventure with a decent story).

I recommend the first two the most, but the last one is still pretty good.

Edited by FrostPan at 21:20:29 04-03-2018
  • FrostPan 4 Mar 2018 21:25:27 1,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got around to finishing Blend-S. Meh. Pretty average. Quite enjoyed it at first but as episodes went on it became less interesting, including the characters.

Latest episode of Dancing in the Franxx didn't do it for me too.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Mar 2018 21:29:30 3,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FrostPan Blend-S was a kind of 6/10 show, I agree.

I actually like what FranXX is doing. It's a 2-cour, so it needs to take its time on character development. Having a few lower-tempo episodes is essential for a longer series. I think the latest episode was mostly playing around with ideas on how a group of teenagers with an upbringing which has specifically excluded "the birds and the bees" react to puberty. It's following a general Evangelion template and covering some of the same themes, but with its own twist on it.
  • Ror 4 Mar 2018 21:35:51 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FrostPan Ta! I was looking at Poco's Udon World a while back, actually. Might take a closer look later.
  • FrostPan 4 Mar 2018 21:48:52 1,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm probably too harsh towards the latest episode. Seeing these teenagers learning the concept of love not from adults, but from their own understanding is intriguing.

Still loving the show, and have high hopes it delivers overall.

Edited by FrostPan at 22:10:13 04-03-2018
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 Mar 2018 00:22:35 6,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Another vote for Poco. Typically charming "return to your rural towns, and create families nao" propaganda. :)

Anyone else started this B:The Beginning touted on Netflix ? It feels like a 'designed by committee greatest hits package' of recent years....the police unit ala Psycho Pass, the genius archives detective from Zankyou no Terror, a dash of GiTS and military hardware. Don't know quite where the tattooed folk fit mind.
  • Rhaegyr 7 Mar 2018 15:52:28 4,529 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally watching Death Note after years of procrastination.

Just got to the part where L died. Is there any point continuing? The dynamic between the two leads is the only reason I've kept watching after Misa was introduced and destroyed my enjoyment of the show (not to mention moving to the tower block). The online consensus seems to be it goes downhill after this part and I can't say I'm too fussed about seeing Light get his comeuppance .

Quite surprised me that the show was willing to kill of its most interesting character. Now the shock has subsided I think I don't really give a shit about watching the rest.
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Mar 2018 15:56:57 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Rhaegyr Yeah, 100% carry on. That bit was a bit bullshit but they have some new interesting characters to introduce + a bit more on why L was the way he was.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Mar 2018 15:57:00 3,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rhaegyr The show goes massively, massively downhill from that point onwards. Stop where you are. Going further will ruin your experience and your memories of the show.
  • Rhaegyr 7 Mar 2018 16:16:00 4,529 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decisions :)

Misa's character is absolutely ridiculous and is seriously ruining my enjoyment of the show - I'm starting to skip any parts when she's on (which is a fair few).

Quite enjoyed it up to now, particularly when it focuses on the two leads. Any idea why they decided to kill off one of the most interesting characters I've ever watched in an anime?

Are any of the films worth a watch to wrap it up quickly if I don't continue with it?
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Mar 2018 16:24:23 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Rhaegyr Cos they are Dumb!!!
  • silver0708 7 Mar 2018 16:28:52 2 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Anyone here loves hunter x hunter like me?
    Anyway, I wish to be Killua's sister :) He is so cool :*
  • GarlVinland 7 Mar 2018 17:11:45 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I too would like to know why they killed L, other than a Game of Thrones-style shock. Never seen such creative hara-kiri for a show entirely centred around a duel between 2 characters. At least other shows have a deep bench to pick up the slack. Really spoiled it for me. I'd just stop right here.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Mar 2018 17:23:18 3,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @GarlVinland When it comes to the anime and manga industry, the most cynical explanation is usually true. I strongly suspect the manga was supposed to stop with Kira's victory over L but that the decision was made to extend it because, by that point, it was an absolute cash cow. It's no secret that the back half of the Attack on Titan manga was drawn out for similar reasons.

I like shows which have a defined start, middle and end. I don't like shows which rumble on for season after season caught in some kind of perpetual-middle and then just stop when the viewers drift away and the money men lose interest. Anime does produce self-contained stories more frequently than Western TV (where many shows just get extended for as long as they can get away with), but the biggest hits do tend to get milked for all they are worth.

All of my favourite shows over the years have been self contained (and usually, but not always, 2-cours): Gurren Lagann, Madoka, From the New World, Cross Ange, Mai-HiME, Simoun and so on.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2018 23:58:20
    I just finished Devilman: Crybaby. All I can say is: I wasn't prepared for the amount of titties and violence.

Anyone interested in classic anime I can't recommend Gunbuster enough. A main plot point is the dialation of time in relation to space travel. It applies some pseudoscience but makes for an interesting plot device when characters can pass 20 years in a matter of hours.
  • Rhaegyr 8 Mar 2018 08:58:28 4,529 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decided to blast through to the end of Death Note yesterday - you guys were right, I should've stopped when L died.

While Mello was a half decent character Near was absolute trash. The end two episodes were pretty good (if just for a bit of closure) but the 10 or so episodes preceding it were a huge dive in quality and suspense. Didn't realise how much I was attached to L and seeing Near defeat him with spurious jumps in logic felt like a hollow victory - L's shadow looms over the whole show since his death.

The silver lining was it really highlighted how great the 'Silence' episode was. The moments between L and Light were done to perfection and the line "From the moment you were born, has there actually been a time where you actually told the truth?" with the audio dropping out was one of my favourite moments of the show. Telling Light "It'll be lonely won't it? We'll be parting soon" was a heart-breaker too - the voice actor deserves huge credit.

Wonder if someone can answer my question (for those who've seen it through) - when L dies and he's seeing the church bells and what I assume is his orphanage, who are the two children he sees as he's dying? It really bugged my and I couldn't find anything online about it.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Mar 2018 09:50:02 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Rhaegyr I thought they were Mallo and Near.

Also, i liked Near... i also liked how Light become complacent following the 'event' and that was what caused his downfall.
  • Waffleaber 8 Mar 2018 10:12:37 703 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The main issue with Near is he's pretty much identical to L in how he operates. What's the point of killing a character if you've going to replace him with someone who's essentially a re-skin? At least Mallo, flawed as he was, offered something different.

Like most I disliked the drop in quality at the end but the last two episodes were still very cathartic. Ryuk's detached "It was good while it lasted, we relieved each others boredom, right?" while Light was dying was great.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Mar 2018 10:29:33 3,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Waffleaber As I say, I really wouldn't see L's death and replacement as an artistic decision. The manga was almost certainly originally planned to end with L's death and Kira's victoy, which would have been a slightly bleak but nevertheless effective ending to a neat and self-contained story.

But with the manga pulling in frankly insane profits by that point, nobody had an incentive to let things stop there, least of all the author and illustrator, for whom this was a major breadwinner. Very few manga authors make it so big and those who do produce a mega-hit very rarely go on to produce a second. As it happens, the author/illustrator duo behind Death Note did slightly break the usual pattern by going on to have a second success with Bakuman, which didn't pull in Death Note-level numbers, but still did very well indeed by industry standards.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2018 14:01:41
    Am I one of the few people that can't stand dubs? The only dubs I've ever enjoyed are Howl's Moving Castle and, surprisingly, yu-gi-oh.

Edited by Glunge at 14:02:11 08-03-2018
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Mar 2018 14:18:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Think the only universally okay dub is for Ghost Stories. :)
  • Ror 8 Mar 2018 15:24:18 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I decided to start SAO last night, watched two episodes. Seems alright.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Mar 2018 15:43:14 3,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I always avoid dubs. The level of over-acting in them makes my flesh crawl. Japan has a pretty large voice acting and radio drama scene that develops a lot of good voice talent. The US doesn't. Note how US-made animated movies almost always use "normal" actors. Anime dubs can't afford that level of talent and are often very amateurish.

I can think of a single example of an English dub being better than the original Japanese voice track and that's for a game rather than an anime movie/show - Final Fantasy 12 (and note how much of FF12's voice cast is British rather than American).
  • Ror 8 Mar 2018 15:45:21 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think I've ever met an anime fan that would watch a dub over a sub.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Mar 2018 15:55:03 3,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror Meh, they exist. I used to be a regular on the animenewsnetwork forums, before they got too toxic (every thread turned into a microcosm of the US culture wars) and there was a minority (but a substantial minority) who would only watch dubs.

In my experience, Americans are more likely to be pro-dub than Brits. I think they find the accents less jarring.
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2018 15:56:53 74,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I don't think I've ever met an anime fan that would watch a dub over a sub.
    I would/do

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.