The Anime Appreciation Thread Page 27

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Apr 2018 21:35:06 3,739 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FrostPan Hah, I didn't really get the #bitchigo thing. I thought the previous episode was necessary character work and enjoyed it. But yes, it goes full-on Gurren Lagann this week (right down to what looks very much like a Giga Drill Breaker).

This week's ep felt like an arc-ender. I suspect we're headed for whatever big plot twist they've been doing all that world-building for soon.

I'll post some broader thoughts on the new season later or tomorrow.
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Apr 2018 21:44:50 6,496 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ohoho, that reveal at the end had me belly laughing. Just when you thought you'd seen everything......

Didn't really understand the whole furore over that episode (certainly not the death threats) because the clues were there (Goro especially). But no, let's all lose our collective shit over it and have a tantrum.

It's Trigger, so you knew they'd have the OP-playing showpiece trope to pull out.

As for the rest, there's soooo much ticking boxes. Hinamitsuri is probably the fave, almost a seedy Barakumon, with brillant comedy and those Terminator gags. Hisone no Maso-tan is off to a slow start, but interesting. The ED though has me worried about it devolving into CGDCTWD (with dragons) but the writing has been great so......yeah, fingers crossed. The shades of Patlabor are just too strong.

As for the cafe/ensemble anime, Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai just edges it, and the last cat-POV episode was hilarious throughout, but blond bird is easily a 'Luxembourg' princess, Alec a bodyguard/handmaid.Hoping it continues strongly, and the VA for Kaoru-kun has been particularly great. Runner up cafe Rokuhoudou is far more comfy SoL, and I'm thankful it's not some reverse harem or straight out fujoshii nonsense.

Wotakoi (Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii) started strongly, but thon second episode came across very awkwardly, and I'm hoping it's down to the situation/cast, and not the slightly off direction. Golden Kamuy too, as good as it's been suffers a bit with all those tonal shifts throughout, making it difficult to settle into, not to mention CGI nightmare bears.

Rounding up, Megalo Box is playing the retro card, nice vibe/art, and soundtrack to boot. LotGH is, well LotGH, but shiny and new to me, and Gurazeni could easily be an all time fave or dropped by the end.
    Other mentionables I'm still sticking with are the awful 3D Kanojo for the trash factor, Comic Girls for the poor man's Yuru Camp slot, and SAO:A-GGO, which so far has been pretty dry and disappointing. Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu is a nice short hoot, and the crossing antics of Fumikiri Jikan have lived up to expectation.

At least I've not manged to cut myself on all the edge: Devil's Line, Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru, Mahou Shoujo Site and Dorei-ku have all upped the ante in the most desperate ways, although the latter does seem somewhat interesting - probably in a Mayoiga sense, and that can't be good......

Still, AoT/SnK returns in a couple of months. Yay.
  • Ror 22 Apr 2018 23:03:32 17,559 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quote for new page.

Ror wrote:
    Has anyone watched the Danganronpa anime? I will probably start the second game soon, but could do with a recap as it's been a while (and I don't really want to play the first game again, as much as I loved it), so I'm wondering if the anime will work as a reasonable catch-up. I've heard some mixed things about it, but never really read into it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Apr 2018 08:58:34 3,739 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror I watched the first season. I didn't watch either of the two more recent series that aired side by side.

The first season was ok, but not mind-blowing. It's very faithful to the game's art style and has some tense scenes. However, things start to break down a bit towards the end of the show. Plus it suffers from the same problem as many adaptations of games with significant player-agency; with that agency removed, the events just aren't as interesting (I'm finding the same with the new Persona 5 anime).

If you want it purely as a catch-up for the game, then knock yourself out. It will do that much, for sure.

Edited by Rogueywon at 08:58:46 23-04-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Apr 2018 09:09:33 3,080 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Watched first two episodes of My hero season 3, so far i am not feeling it :( which is a shame as i loved the first two series.
  • Ror 23 Apr 2018 13:59:29 17,559 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon Thanks Roguey. Yeah, I just want to use it as a refresher, but wasn't sure if it was one of those shows that diverges quite a bit from the source material, like Disgaea.
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Apr 2018 20:33:15 6,496 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ninja Batman seems to have surfaced, and a lot of folk crowing good things.

Guess that's my afternoon loitering at work sorted. Summer sorted with a FULL 24ep run for S3 AoT too.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 20:34:30 27-04-2018
  • Ror 27 Apr 2018 20:57:37 17,559 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good God, this Ragnarok arc of SAO is utter balls so far. I know the show has failed to reach the highs of the Aincrad arc since that one ended, but this is quite the low point. I still quite enjoyed ALfheim and GGO (despite really disliking what they did to Asuna post-Aincrad), but I'm struggling to continue with this. These people barely even feel like the same characters, and so far it just feels like pure filler.
  • Ror 27 Apr 2018 20:58:05 17,559 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Skipped over OSS' post there in my haste, but a full season of AoT is top news.
  • FrostPan 27 Apr 2018 22:36:17 1,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Episode 13 blew me away, so anxiously waiting for a week on that follow up really disappointed me. Not enough to throw toys out of a pram like some people did, jeezus. I did understand it wasn't going to be that simple.

But I'm happy with the character developments that happened with the latest episode.

I really still need to get back to watching Gurren Lagann at some point. Only seen like 7 episodes and it was quite a long while ago, so will have to start over.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Apr 2018 23:13:27 3,739 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FrostPan Gurren Lagann is awesome. Definitely among the top 3 shows of the '00s and a good contender for the #1 spot.

Funnily enough, I've just been getting a dose of it via Super Robot Wars X, which had its English-language release on Wednesday. The Gurren Lagann is among the top units in it. My tactics at the moment (15 missions in) boils down to "Villkiss on the right flank, Gurren Lagann on the left flank and everything else sits in the middle to mop up anything that gets through".
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Apr 2018 23:15:22 3,739 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror It is pure filler. It's watching people play a rather unconvincing MMO with zero stakes.

But stick with it. After the bullshit arc comes Mother's Rosario, which is (IMO) the strongest arc SAO has to offer.

When you've watched it, google the link between that arc and Final Fantasy XIV. Really weird, definitely downbeat but also kinda-awesome instance of fantasy and reality going hand in hand.
  • Ror 27 Apr 2018 23:48:12 17,559 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah, that's one of the main issues I'm having with it - there are no stakes. It's just a bunch of friends playing around in a virtual world. Which... on paper, appeals a bit, given the amount of time they've spent assembling this cast of characters. In practise? Not so much.

As for your last point, you've piqued my interest as an FFXIV player. And if nothing else I'll stick with it just having come this far.
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Apr 2018 00:00:21 3,080 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Ror It is pure filler. It's watching people play a rather unconvincing MMO with zero stakes.

But stick with it. After the bullshit arc comes Mother's Rosario, which is (IMO) the strongest arc SAO has to offer.

When you've watched it, google the link between that arc and Final Fantasy XIV. Really weird, definitely downbeat but also kinda-awesome instance of fantasy and reality going hand in hand.
    Mother Rosario is really good, really made me a bit sad.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 00:01:45 28-04-2018
  • Ror 28 Apr 2018 21:04:53 17,559 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, so that 'arc' was only about three eps. Definitely filler material. I'll crack on.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Apr 2018 21:11:01 3,739 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror The good news is, you've now made it through the weakest bits of SAO. The last arc of season 2 is great and the movie is entertaining enough.
  • ilmaestro 28 Apr 2018 22:38:17 32,919 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Good God, this Ragnarok arc of SAO is utter balls so far. I know the show has failed to reach the highs of the Aincrad arc since that one ended, but this is quite the low point. I still quite enjoyed ALfheim and GGO (despite really disliking what they did to Asuna post-Aincrad), but I'm struggling to continue with this. These people barely even feel like the same characters, and so far it just feels like pure filler.
    It'll pick up again in five years time when they get around to animating all of Alicization.
  • Ror 8 May 2018 02:49:23 17,559 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ;_______________________;
  • Graxlar_v3 8 May 2018 11:05:55 3,080 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    :)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 May 2018 11:59:47 3,739 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So that'll be Mother's Rosario finished then...
  • Ror 12 May 2018 12:39:04 17,559 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had to have a few days away from anime after that D:

Anyway, I decided to get back to Kill La Kill, seeing as I own all of it on blu ray (the collectors editions, to boot). I watched about seven episodes of it when it first came out, but the show moves so fast, and there's just text all over the screen, so I couldn't keep up with the subs.

I've decided to watch it dubbed, as I know I just wouldn't get through it otherwise, and I'm pleased to say the dub is actually pretty good! I've only watched one ep so far, but I'm enjoying it, and I will make it through this time.
  • FrostPan 14 May 2018 14:25:13 1,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The last few episodes of Franxx have been consistently great. Again, really liked the character developments that happened with the majority of the main cast.

Latest episode: Wonder what's the deal going to be with Futoshi now? Would be too obvious that he will die. But most likely something major will happen with him, given that he's pretty much the least developed and liked character of the show so far.

Also, Mitsuru and Kokoro getting it on was something... even more so before the main couple.

Saw A Silent Voice the other day. Really great film. Didn't pull my heartstrings that much like it did with other people, but there were some close moments. Definitely wanna watch it again soon. I might actually prefer this to Your Name (great film mind you).

A Silent Voice is on Netflix, so if you got that, definitely give it a watch.

Edited by FrostPan at 14:29:34 14-05-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 14 May 2018 14:27:08 3,080 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I am getting increasingly fustrated by black clover... the current creepy brother storyline is the worst

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 14:30:15 14-05-2018
  • FrostPan 16 May 2018 15:30:07 1,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Started and up to date with Hinamatsuri. Really good show so far! Second half of the latest episode. The feels man.

Also watched a bunch episodes of Umamusume Pretty Derby. Enjoyable, but mostly above average stuff.
  • oldschoolsoviet 16 May 2018 15:45:38 6,496 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hinamitsuri is great, but as great as it is, the feels have overtaken the comedy massively recently and I want more laughs dammit. Still wondering how the original opening scene fits into it all too.

Horsey girls is too much for my delicate tastes.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 May 2018 15:50:27 3,739 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thoughts on this season so far...

Of the two continuing shows from last season that I'm watching - Darling in the Franxx and Beatless, both are decent. Franxx is the better of the two and has been on an upward trajectory for a good run of episodes now. Its latest episode seems to have managed to trigger a lot of the usual internet loons, but this show has form in that respect. Beatless is a clever show, but its pacing gets thrown off by its habit of making every 5th episode a scheduled recap (something that both Full Metal Panic and Gun Gale Online are apparently planning on doing as well).

Of the new shows...

Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory is very solid, though it feels a bit weird to be picking up the narrative again almost 15 years after the last anime season. Sadly, Super Robot Wars V (which adapts the later part of the light novel series as one of its plotlines) already spoilered me on a lot of the upcoming major events.

Stein's Gate 0 is decent, though I did have to spend some time reminding myself of what happened in the original. It could do with a slightly lighter tone in places, perhaps, as it misses some of the original's humour.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is an interesting show. It's a modern adaptation of an old and very long OVA series. It's beautifully animated and has some fascinating space-warfare tactics sequences. It does sufferer, however, from being a) a bit dry and b) a total sausage-fest.

Magical Girl Site is trashy grimdark stuff, but I kinda like it. I do have a degree of affection for shows that throw themselves so wholeheartedly into their premise.

Persona 5: The Animation is a competently executed but soulless adaptation of the game. Suffers from being overly faithful in places and much of the game's unique atmosphere doesn't survive the jump in formats.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online had a terrible first episode, which was basically 20 minutes of watching other people play PUBG. It's improved somewhat since then, though I'd like to see more of the out-of-game stuff and perhaps slightly fewer protracted gunfights.

3D Kanojo: Real Girl had a decent first two episodes, but has now settled down too far into familiar josei tropes.

My Hero Academia Season 3 is also now starting to feel too much like a standard demographic-genre piece (albeit shonen rather than josei). I've enjoyed the earlier seasons because of the panache with which they were executed, but can see myself drifting away from this.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii is decent. I've a soft spot for shows centered on working adults who can and do get drunk legally. A few pacing issues here and there (a few scenes allowed to run longer than they can hold), but overall it's good stuff.

Umamusume: Pretty Derby is ok, I guess. It's basically Kancolle with horse-girls. I don't hate it, but it feels very "middle of the road".

Amanchu season 2 has frustrated me a bit. I really liked the first season, but the second has sidelined many of its strengths in favour of new characters who don't quite gel, or protracted and fairly boring dream sequences.

Comic Girls is the strongest of the new comedies that I've found. It's nothing spectacular, but it does have a good sense of comic timing and its jokes hit more often than they miss.

Edited by Rogueywon at 15:50:50 16-05-2018
  • RawShark 16 May 2018 17:36:16 352 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I enjoyed Aggretsuko - binge watched it in a couple of sittings. Something for anyone who has ever been 25 and worked in an office.

Late to the party, but I'm currently working through One Punch Man - probably one of the funnier anime series I've seen in a long time.
  • FrostPan 20 May 2018 19:17:29 1,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Honestly don't know what to think of Franxx now. Really disliked the latest episode, quite a bore at this point. There's no way they can wrap everything up six more episodes right?

Started watching Comic Girls the other day. A few episodes in and I like it. Kaoruko is so adorable.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 May 2018 20:21:02 3,739 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FrostPan I still like FranXX a lot, but reaching for yet another reset button at the end of the latest episode did feel like a mistake.
  • FrostPan 22 May 2018 20:06:09 1,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wow, Mahou Shoujo Site is actually better than I'd expected it to be. That'll teach me not to use MAL as a gauge to whether to watch a particular show. I think it's a good show. The first episode was indeed freaking brutal. Wish they get rid of the brother shtick now though. What a cunt.

Also had a start on Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, and doesn't seem to be my cup of tea at the moment.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.