The Anime Appreciation Thread Page 32

• The-Bodybuilder 5 Nov 2018 22:57:46 17,540 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah that's pretty much my take on it. When it steps out of the shone jump cliché it's all the more better for it, and S2 and first half of S3 did so. Second half seemed to fall right back in again.
  • FrostPan 15 Nov 2018 22:39:49 1,562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seeing a lot of praise for the Bunny Girl Senpai show recently. I personally think it's decent, but not great. I just don't just find the main couple interesting.

Finished season 3 of Overlord. Disappointing season finale, especially compared to the previous two seasons. Because of that, I'm not really clamouring that much for a season 4, but will still be happy whenever it gets announced.

Edited by FrostPan at 22:44:43 15-11-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Nov 2018 10:22:05 5,452 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    so goblin slayer huh....

i put it on for ten minutes, started out strong... then for some reason they decided that the goblins needed to gang rape the women and... no thanks.

I will never understand the need for it :/
  • oldschoolsoviet 23 Nov 2018 12:22:08 6,668 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh.

I remember all that fuss. That was weeks ago. The manga is even darker according to the crowd.

It's settled into a somewhat interesting show btw, but might have a few more shocks in store for the remaining episodes.
  • Rivuzu 23 Nov 2018 12:27:57 17,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The first episode of Goblin Slayer is the only "shocking" one so far. But it's the tone it's going for.

Don't understand the switching it off though. Happy to watch people/creatures get murdered in anime, but not this?

It's taking the fantasy trope, and then giving it a hardline gritty sort of "realism" for lack of a better word. Also does a lot to make you want to cheer for what is an unlikable main character.
  • Rivuzu 23 Nov 2018 12:31:44 17,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That said totally get if it ain't your thing. I'm enjoying it, but that's because it's a shake up to the fantasy anime tropes and not just a rehash of the last ten years worth we've had.
  • The_Goon 28 Nov 2018 13:24:19 1,194 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So apparently Netflix are planning to make a live action Cowboy Bebop...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Nov 2018 13:29:52 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @The_Goon I thought that already existed and was called Firefly? :)

More seriously, as was covered fairly acrimoniously a few pages back, I am not, to put it mildly, a fan of Cowboy Bebop. But it was a fairly obvious candidate for an adaptation, given its strong Western/live action sensibilities.
  • FrostPan 28 Nov 2018 13:34:31 1,562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The classic Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019 guyssss.

Wasn't enamoured with the show when I watched it through years back, but I can see why people like it a lot.
  • Malek86 28 Nov 2018 13:41:59 8,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Evangelion is one of those things that really raised the bar in its time, but much like other "pioneers", it's been left behind since.

There's still a lot to like (and a lot ot dislike), but what was once revolutionary will seem tripe and done to death today.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:42:20 28-11-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Nov 2018 13:50:20 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Evangelion was a really important show at the time - it completely re-shaped the mecha genre, inspired a slew of imitators and helped to cement the 90s shift from OVAs to longer-form TV shows. It remains culturally significant in Japan today and is one of the very, very small number of non-kids anime shows to have made a breakthrough into mainstream culture, rather than just otaku culture.

Personally, I think it still stands up generally well today. Parts of it haven't aged brilliantly. Some of its early episodes feel a bit filler-ish (and slightly dull at times). But compared to most other mid/late 90s shows, it's held up.

If some elements of it feel "done to death" today, I suspect it's because it was so influential and inspired so many imitators that repetition has taken away some of its impact. In a similar vein, I remember a couple of years back watching Aliens with a friend who'd never seen it before and who remarked that it was "full of action movie cliches". On one level, that's true, but many of them have become cliches because Aliens set the pattern for them to begin with.

The 2010s equivalent would be Madoka Magica, which deconstructed the Magical Girl genre as Evangelion did for mecha. That also inspired a whole sea of imitators looking to cash in on it.
  • Malek86 28 Nov 2018 13:59:17 8,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The problem isn't just the imitators, but how the audience's expectations are shattered to the point where it takes a very long time to rebuild them.

As a matter of fact, because of Madoka Magica, anyone looking to do an old-school magical girls show (that is not an established franchise like Precure or a modern remake like Sailor Moon) will be laughed off the timetables.

Similarly, it's been near impossible to make a non-realistic mecha show for years, simply because of Evangelion.

However these things tend to come full circle eventually. Just like how there's been something of a resurgence of older-style mecha shows lately (see Gridman for a modern take), perhaps one day the old magical girl genre will once again be viable.

Edited by Malek86 at 14:00:32 28-11-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Nov 2018 14:05:14 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 Yeah, it was hard to do a traditional mecha show for a good few years after Evangelion. Probably not a bad thing, though, given how staid the genre (or rather, the two sub-genres of Military Mecha and Super Robots) had become. Sunrise and the like were absolutely pumping out formulaic stuff like Mightgaine right through the early 90s, most of which never made it out of Japan.

I think the first really successful post-Evangelion mecha show without Gundam or Macross in the title was probably Gainax's own Gurren Lagann.
  • Rivuzu 28 Nov 2018 14:08:12 17,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wasn't Code: GEASS before Gurren Lagann?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Nov 2018 14:12:48 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rivuzu Ah yes, just about. I think I was mentally sticking it in the Sunrise Gundam-spinoff pile, though that's probably unfair. Sunrise do insist on very, very tight content-control for their Gundam series, particularly those in the main UC timeline, while they use the not-quite-Gundam shows like Code Geass, Valvrave and Cross Ange to cut loose and have a bit more fun.

Though I remain of the view that Code Geass R2 is one of the worst shows I've ever watched (and find the Geass franchise's politics and their flirtation with the Japanese hard-right a bit uncomfortable).
  • nickthegun 28 Nov 2018 14:13:02 76,796 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And even then, I don't think it was really a proper mecha show as such since they all ran on magic, traditional Japanese fighting spirit and shouting.
  • Rivuzu 28 Nov 2018 14:55:48 17,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Code Geass R2 does not exist.

Why are you telling lies?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Nov 2018 15:01:18 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Code Geass R2 does not exist.

Why are you telling lies?
    Hah. In fairness, awful though it is, the story of the trainwreck behind its production (not as well known as some others in the industry) is entertaining. The late change of timeslot (pitching for a different audience to the first season), the ridiculous orders from the studio top-brass, the director steadily going off the rails as it all spiralled out of control...
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Nov 2018 18:28:40 5,452 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok I like goblin Slayer , quite a bit

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 18:53:36 28-11-2018
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Nov 2018 18:44:17 6,668 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So much so, you're speaking goblin. :)
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Nov 2018 18:53:16 5,452 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lol, typing whilst walking in the rain is bad
  • FrostPan 28 Nov 2018 19:23:51 1,562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished Mob Psycho now. Solid stuff. Nothing like what I'd expected it to be, so happy that I finally decided to watch it after all this time. The trailer for season 2 has got me very much hyped.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Nov 2018 23:40:02 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Goblin Slayer is good. It got some flak from the desperate-to-be-offended crowd, but it's a decent show.

Not without its flaws. The "nobody has a name" trick is a bit tiresome. This isn't the first show to have done it, but it doesn't really feel necessary here. The art quality has also been patchy in places.

But I like the realistic-take-on-fantasy tone. I like the conceit of a fantasy universe where the biggest threat to the average villager comes from the lowest tier trash mob. I like the Witcher-y approach to monster slaying, which prizes careful preparation and dispassionate brutality over flashy theatrics. And even without names, the characters are mostly fun and have decent chemistry. It's not a top-tier show, but it's highly watchable.
  • Ror 29 Nov 2018 12:46:13 18,265 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After taking a bit of a break to watch Plastic Memories, I've gone back to Fate, this time watching the Ufotable UBW version. I'm glad it's quite a bit different from the Studio DEEN take (I know they're different routes in the original VN, but I didn't know how big the differences would be), and thankfully Shirou is a much more likeable protagonist in this version, too.

Has there been any word on when we might start getting the Heaven's Feel films in the UK?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Nov 2018 14:30:47 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Ror From what I hear, Heaven's Feel is caught up in licensing shenanigans at the moment. Occasionally happens with high-profile high-budget franchises, when expectations on the Japanese side start getting unrealistic.

If you're desperate for more Fate, then Fate/Apocrypha is on Netflix (I'd rate it higher than F/SN and UBW, but lower than F/Zero).

There's also Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, which sometimes gets overlooked because people think it's nothing more than a silly gag-based magical girl spin-off. In fairness, it is at times (particularly in its first season and in the Hertz mini-season), but the further you get through it, the more it starts bringing in familiar Fate concepts and storylines. All of that's available on Crunchyroll.

There's also Fate/Extra: Last Encore, available on Netflix. That one's a total mess. Leave it alone.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Nov 2018 14:36:23 5,452 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Which is the weird one where they make it a team thing?
  • Malek86 29 Nov 2018 14:44:16 8,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fate Extra, maybe? That one was based on a videogame, so whatever.

At this point, Fate is pretty much just a mobage series as an excuse to have as many new servant girls as possible, so I guess it might as well be dead.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Nov 2018 14:46:08 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 That's Apocrypha. I wasn't sold on it for the first few eps (which are indeed a bit weird), but it really picks up. It has to deal with the challenge of having a very large ensemble cast, which gives it a slightly disjointed narrative early on. As that cast starts getting killed off (which doesn't take long), it becomes a lot easier to follow.

As much as anything, I like the fact that it's set in Central Europe rather than Japan and that they make such good use of the setting.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Nov 2018 14:48:55 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    At this point, Fate is pretty much just a mobage series as an excuse to have as many new servant girls as possible, so I guess it might as well be dead.
    Not sure I agree when it comes to Apocrypha, not least because in general the male servants are far more memorable than the female ones (though Mordred does have her moments).

Certainly, the actual mobage property, Fate/Grand Order is pretty much exactly what you describe. But of the TV series, it's only really Fate/Extra that's a total mess, and that was more due to a ludicrously over-complicated plot and some outright bad storytelling than it was due to mobage influences.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.