The Anime Appreciation Thread Page 34

• Malek86 4 Jan 2019 17:17:20 8,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So there go the first two episodes of Boogiepop.

I kinda prefer the utter bleakness and existential dread of the old Phantom series. It also seems like they are going for the core of the story this time, whereas Phantom almost always focused on single, self-contained stories connected by a thread that slowly unraveled.

I mean, everything here is so... bright.
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 Jan 2019 11:48:09 6,688 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have it queued up, yet to watch it though (too many ongoing Xmas game events). No idea about it whatsoever so we'll see what impression it gives.

As for best of last year, hmm. I can admire APFTTU, as I could Violet Evergarden from a clinical standpoint even if I didn't totally click with them, but I certainly preferred the not-so-hype stuff, the smaller (hint) shows.

Yuru Camp (comfy), Mitsuboshi Colors (savage af), Happy Sugar Life (so bad it's good) Megalo Box (just for the retro) and Hinamatsuri (laughs but feels) were all solid enough as high points, and Asobi Asobase was certainly in contention for it's perfectly suited comedy, but as a complete package of writing, characters, music and just being fantastic I'd say Hakumei and Mikochi was probably my favourite. The subtlety in the relationship, the ever expanding scope of their world, and how things interconnected even with the ED info cards was superb, moreso coming from Studio Lerche.

As a final aside, tried that Ingress show, and my god, they're really pushing the mobile game aspect of it, something I gathered was years ago and already dead ? The CGI isn't too bad, certainly Ajin/Polygon quality, but the third episode was enough for me.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Jan 2019 22:12:30 5,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Very early thoughts on a few of the new shows (not many aired yet):

Rise of the Shield Hero: The big "controversial" show of the season. For the uninitiated, one of the early plot components involves a false accusation of rape, which has triggered half of the internet. The first episode (which covers that bit of the plot) is double-length. The first fifteen minutes are pretty dull, generic isekai shit. After that, it gets more interesting as the tone goes some very bleak places. Series that court controversy are often awful. This is not yet awful. There are even some faint signs it might be good, but there's plenty of room for it to go wrong yet.

BanG Dream S2: The CG! The CG! MY EYES ARE BLEEDING!

The Price of Smiles: So a cute, widely adored princess (with red eyes) has her big birthday/coming of age ceremony in a seemingly utopian futuristic society which clearly has a lot of bad stuff beneath the surface. Stop me if you've heard this one before. I spent the whole first episode waiting for the other boot to drop, which does indeed happen a few seconds before the end of the episode. At least the main character escapes an anal probe in the first episode. This was actually decent and pretty well made. Promising. Plus it's an anime original, rather than an adaptation, which is usually a good sign.

Clumsy Miss Ueno: Straightforward dirty-joke anime. Not bad, to be honest. Made me laugh a few times. Risked over-stretching a couple of its jokes, but with 12 minute episodes, that's not going to be a huge problem.

Lord El Melloi II Case Files: An episode 0 for one of the spring shows. Set in the Fate universe, 10 years after Fate/Zero, with Waver Velvet as the protagonist. Very, very strong episode 1 with typical UFOtable production values. Just a pity we have to wait 3 months to get more of it.
  • Malek86 7 Jan 2019 11:06:06 8,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sometimes I think the english-speaking internet fails to realize that their controversies barely even touch Japan at all.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Jan 2019 11:41:35 5,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 Yeah, that amuses me too. I can think of a good few of these "controversy" shows over the last few years... The Ultimate Teacher, Cross Ange, Gate, How Not To Summon a Demon Lord and Goblin Slayer, to name just the ones that spring immediately to mind. In each case, the "controversies" in the Western anime press and social media, usually driven by some transgression against US campus-culture morals, has gone completely unnoticed in Japan. Some of those shows have flopped, others have done well in terms of domestic DVD/BD sales, but Western controversies seem to have made no impact at all.
  • FrostPan 9 Jan 2019 22:31:51 1,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First episode for the new season of Mob Psycho is pretty good.
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Jan 2019 23:52:03 6,688 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep, great return for our bowl head saviour. Liked the distortion/beats of the ED, but the full version was disappointing, just the same snippets at each end.

Godzilla finally finished with a very preachy and grandiose finale. Diminishing returns for me, nothing will beat that entrance and the sound design accompanying it from the first film.

Dororo set out it's story in a nutshell, and although I'm not keen on the over-cartoonification of our lead (and that dog), it looks to be good. The demon's statue being damaged is very 'Souls', and given how old the manga is I wonder..... Boogiepop had me confused (girls looking too similar) at first, but cleared up and by god, I'm liking the OST. Kemurikusa was full of potato charm and BAD CG, but still does a great "show-don't-tell" that others could learn from. Sticking with it out of curiosity.

Much like Madhouse could learn from 8bit & Slime, who are just pissing in their cornflakes with the attention lavished on it. Puts those goats and goblins to absolute shame. Ueno-san was okay, a few chuckles, but not as awkward as Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita, full of uncomfortable child obsession ! Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue was a tad too twee, and I'll see if they continue this human/cat split of the episode which felt lazy/obvious.

As for mecha, Price of Smiles took a turn (but the broad politics were unexpected), and Revisions fell neatly into the Netflix Originals genre - bland, cliched, bad cg, and dropped at the first. Schoolkids getting absolutely wrecked wasn't even enough to save it.....

Oh, and the mic drop from The Promised Neverland. Best closing shot ever ?
  • Rivuzu 11 Jan 2019 10:13:31 18,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Feel the same about the latest Godzilla as oldschoolsoviet. It was ok, but felt a bit running on fumes.

It's been an enjoyable romp though.
  • Malek86 12 Jan 2019 23:37:16 8,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not much I can say. Boogiepop was boring me, so I dropped it. Might as well rewatch the original Phantom if I want some proper horror/mystery vibes.

On the other hand, the first episode of Kaguya-sama delivered the laughs... well, or at least the smiles. I could see it getting stale, but I've been told that the focus changes quickly, so it probably won't be a problem. I'll keep following it for now.

And of course, there are the usual hold-outs from last season. I suppose that's my Winter 2019 sorted, while waiting for the more promising Spring season (already I look forward to Ace of Diamond 2, One Punch Man 2, and Bungou Stray Dogs S3, plus whatever else they can muster).

Edited by Malek86 at 23:39:36 12-01-2019
  • RyanDS 13 Jan 2019 15:46:11 12,760 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any Netflix recommendations? I read manga occasionally but only series I have watched is Tokyo ghoul.

Any suggestions on a good “starting” anime?
  • nickthegun 13 Jan 2019 15:47:28 77,889 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Devilman Crybaby
  • Spectral 13 Jan 2019 15:48:03 6,197 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Of the anime on Netflix I'd say Death Note. Make sure you pick watch the right one though, there is a really bad live action movie of it too.

Edited by Spectral at 15:49:49 13-01-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jan 2019 15:51:29 5,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Death Note is fine, but there is a very, very obvious point at which to stop watching (where the main story wraps up and the show then dives off a cliff).

Of the other stuff on Netflix, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is excellent and, Sword Art Online, Little Witch Academia and Violet Evergarden are all decent enough.
  • RyanDS 13 Jan 2019 16:01:43 12,760 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have read death note. Given that I know the arc is the show still worth watching?
  • Spectral 13 Jan 2019 16:06:06 6,197 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    I have read death note. Given that I know the arc is the show still worth watching?
    Not knowing the differences between the two I'd have to say probably not. Its not like something like Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball,etc where it would be fun to see the fights you know animated. Its all in the characters/plot and you know all that already.
  • Globbits 13 Jan 2019 16:16:55 159 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, One Punch Man, Samurai Champloo, Steins Gate and Erased are all on UK Netflix and well-worth watching imo
  • Nazo 13 Jan 2019 16:19:06 980 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My wife read the Manga first and said the anime wasn’t as good, apparently the (shit) ending was quite different though. Never understood the praise myself, the first few episodes were intriguing then it settled into a tedious and ridiculous cat and mouse thing.

Cowboy Bebop, Erased, One Punch Man and Steins;Gate are all worth watching on Netflix
  • oldschoolsoviet 13 Jan 2019 21:33:34 6,688 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, featuring five bits of dialogue in around 15mins of dogfighting in Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai certainly plays to the target audience, just a shame it's going to revert back to the CGDCT after this.....

It's why I'm happy to watch the action compilations of GuP on Youtube, but not the series itself, just doesn't do anything for us at all.

And Domestic na Kanojo is every ounce of awful it was remarked to be. Fun times ahead.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Jan 2019 19:15:46 5,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Quick thoughts on the new season shows.

The Promised Neverland is the big hyped show this time around and - so far - seems to be living up to its billing. Tense, dark and scary, with top-tier direction that knows how to wring out the horror from seemingly mundane scenes.

Rise of the Shield Hero seems reasonably good, despite triggering half of the internet. It's not great - it's very much an isekai genre piece - but its tone does set it apart a little bit. I actually prefer it so far to Reincarnated as a Slime, which seems to get an incomprehensibly good press.

The Magnificent Kotobuki has been fun so far, despite the odd CGI. Some of the best dogfighting choreography I've seen in years - probably since Simoun. Setting is basically Crimson Skies, with the odd dash of Strike Commander. That's a good thing.

Girly Air Force had a decent ep 1, which implied a darker show than the name would suggest. Ep 2 blew things with more typical romcom bollocks.

The Price of Smiles seems very solid. Interesting perspective-flip for episode three. Still not sure where they're going with it. Probably a good thing, provided they do actually have a sensible destination in mind.

The Quintessential Quintuplets is a straightforward harem comedy. God almighty, I thought they stopped making those things years ago. Weirdly, the fact that the concept's so dated makes it kinda novel. I don't hate it.

Date A Live S3 looks like another series of a solid middle-tier franchise. It's fine, I guess.

Magical Girl Special Ops Asuka makes me very sad. The manga is apparently very well regarded and the concept of PTSDed post-saving-the-world magical girls is solid. So why was the adaptation given to a bottom-tier studio? The show looks bargain-basement territory with art and animation falling apart from the opening episode.

BanG Dream S2 can fuck off. I didn't like the first series. Going for weird, crappy CG for everything was not the way to improve things.

How Clumsy You Are Miss Ueno kinda works as a short gag show. It's not fantastic, but the humour is bad-taste enough that it does make me chuckle in a kind-of guilty way.

Endro basically seems like Konosuba without the mean streak (mostly). That's not necessarily a bad thing and I liked the first ep. But not sure how long it can string out the concept.

Not tried Domestic Girlfriend or a few of the other major shows and not sure I will. I have enough to be getting on with.
  • FrostPan 20 Jan 2019 21:25:21 1,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I recently finished the first season of 3D Kanajo: Real Girl. I have no idea how I managed to watch it through. Some unbearable characters, and overall just a really dull Shoujo show. Skipping the current airing season 2 for sure.

A few seasonal anime I'm watching at the moment:

Mob Psycho 2

Really great so far. Already some great character development with Mob, and the animation has been really lovely. I can see it being better than the first season.

The Quintessential Quintuplets

Not as bad I expected it to be, it being a harem after all. All the girls seem likeable and the main character is tolerable, so far anyway. I'm enjoying it and I'm looking forward to the next episodes.

My Roommate is a cat

Really cute show. I'm a sucker for these sort of shows so waiting weekly for the next episode is killing me.

Edited by FrostPan at 21:26:42 20-01-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Jan 2019 21:27:14 5,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @FrostPan Yeah, I thought the first season of 3D Kanojo went well, but rapidly swirled down the genre toilet-bowl-of-doom. One of those shows which just puts endless and increasingly ludicrous roadblocks in the way of a relationship. Pity, because there was a decent concept buried in there somewhere.

Interesting that Quintuplets seems to be pretty well received all-round. Did not expect that for an old-fashioned harem show. As you say, the main character actually being a character, rather than a viewer-insert, does help.
  • FrostPan 20 Jan 2019 21:51:32 1,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Yeah, I agree with Kanojo. I thought it was somewhat refreshing that they started a relationship right from episode 1, but man it really wasn't enjoyable to watch the nonsense that happen between them, as you said. It's a shame.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Jan 2019 22:02:33 5,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also, forgot to mention in my post earlier... I've also tried 2 eps of Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai. It's a fairly entertaining show, but my god it has the best OP I've heard in quite some time.
  • The-Bodybuilder 21 Jan 2019 09:21:56 17,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Feel the same about the latest Godzilla as oldschoolsoviet. It was ok, but felt a bit running on fumes.

It's been an enjoyable romp though.
    I thought it was utterly wank and seemed to get worse with each installment; descending into pseaudo-religious babble.

The first is the best of all 3; largely due to the entrance of the big G.
  • The-Bodybuilder 21 Jan 2019 09:24:45 17,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Death Note is fine, but there is a very, very obvious point at which to stop watching (where the main story wraps up and the show then dives off a cliff).

Of the other stuff on Netflix, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is excellent and, Sword Art Online, Little Witch Academia and Violet Evergarden are all decent enough.
    best Netflix anime (and what got me back into anime);
    - FMA: Brotherhood
    - Attack on Titan (but only has S1)
    - One Punch Man

There's others like Samurai Shampoo, and I hear good things about Tokyo Ghoul, but for some reason I can't seem to get into it.

I'd generally leave the Netflix originals till last.
  • Poorandugly 21 Jan 2019 17:07:04 599 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hi score girl is excellent if you also want some early 90s gaming nostalgia. First episode is a bit shouty, but it gets better after that.
  • Malek86 21 Jan 2019 17:38:38 8,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kaguya-sama is walking the thin line between repetitive and fun, which is not that easy. It works so far, but the fact that it already feels repetitive after two episodes is kinda concerning.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Jan 2019 09:54:41 17,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Poorandugly wrote:
    Hi score girl is excellent if you also want some early 90s gaming nostalgia. First episode is a bit shouty, but it gets better after that.
    Funnily enough, I've got that on my list, but wasn't sure as its a Netflix original, but the premise had me intrigued that's for sure.
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Jan 2019 12:02:10 6,688 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hate the 'Netflix Original' tag, panning off existing shows as something they've financed, when it's a catch-all for shows they've licensed too. And that most of the stuff they licencse is awful.

AICO, thon Hero/Mask mentioned last page and the latest travesty of Last Hope.....https://cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/fit400x1000/cms/this-week-in-anime/142149/s4.png.jpg

Anyway, what's this Samurai Shampoo show ? :D champloo - mixed up/stirred together

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.