Nintendo Switch Page 955

  • DangerousDave_87 12 Feb 2018 12:56:12 4,377 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    One thing Dragon Quest games do really well is dialogue. The series as a whole has been so well done since Dragon Quest VIII. Even the DS remakes are great in that respect. Miles above any JRPG I've ever played.
  • Phattso 12 Feb 2018 12:59:29 23,080 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I'm an outlier in this respect. Can't be bothered with acres of dialogues. It nearly ruined I Am Setsuna for me. Just don't dig on that particular genre convention, it was the same with that Advance War wannabe thing. I appreciate I'm in the minority on that, but no matter how well written I just can't be arsed with it.

    Something like Torment: Tides of Numenera though? No probs. Some real depth their characterisations and descriptive prose. Some shallow as fuck RPG stereotypes being a bit cute in a JRPG? Don't give a fuck, Jeff. :)
  • beastmaster 12 Feb 2018 13:01:47 18,177 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bayonetta this week. Played the original to death so will go straight for the sequel
  • the_milkybar_kid 12 Feb 2018 13:07:05 6,861 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got to Vectron on Steamworld Dig 2 last night. Fucking hell fire, I didn't expect to be so on edge and nervy at this game! Completely foreboding.

    Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 13:19:40 12-02-2018
  • monkman76 12 Feb 2018 13:28:13 12,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid Wait, which bit is that? I finished the story but don't remember that part.
  • the_milkybar_kid 12 Feb 2018 13:39:46 6,861 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @monkman76 This bit. Don't want to link the video directly for spoilers.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDptxQx0c6E&t=268s
  • monkman76 12 Feb 2018 14:58:03 12,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah, that bit was cool. I played a lot of it on planes and trains so I think I was a bit tired to really appreciate it.
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Feb 2018 15:04:26 6,861 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nintendo have a sale on some games until the 15th. It's nothing revolutionary but might be something on there someone's interested in. Got Golf Story for a bit over a tenner.
  • Ror 13 Feb 2018 22:35:22 17,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, do I (continue to) shelve Xeno 2 so I can finally play Bayo 2 this weekend?

    I still have the Wii U copy factory sealed /o\
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Feb 2018 23:32:39 1,627 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ror continue to shelve xeno 2? Get on it man. The game is gold!
  • Ror 13 Feb 2018 23:37:55 17,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK I'm only five or six hours in and I was enjoying it. I just took a break for some reason and haven't gone back. I've been re-watching the cutscenes the last few days to refresh my memory as I do want to go back.

    Having another game on the go will make that difficult though!
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Feb 2018 23:43:39 1,627 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ror well bayonetta 2 was one of my highlights on the wiiu... but im now 93ish hrs into xeno 2 and it just reminds me of the experiences i had of first playing ff7-9 as a teenager. As they are 3 of my all time favourite games i feel it a superior game to bayonetta 2. Though on polish, style and tight gameplay bayo 2 is a marvel that is not surpassed by many...
  • Ror 13 Feb 2018 23:55:38 17,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK The first Bayonetta is one of my favourite games on the 360. I bought the First Print Edition for the Wii U, replayed Bayo 1... and then kind of had my fill. As I said above, 2 is still factory sealed :D

    I think I'm going to try and balance the two /o\
  • Ror 14 Feb 2018 00:19:38 17,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Month :D It's going to take me the better part of the year!
  • jimnastics 14 Feb 2018 07:02:01 1,305 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    150+ hours... I can't even get my head around that!
  • THFourteen 14 Feb 2018 08:27:11 48,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had 115 hours when I “finished it”. Sure there’s a lot more collect/fetch quests I could do but I don’t really feel compelled.

    Fantastic game tho. My GOTY 2017 but not for everyone.
  • ghearoid 14 Feb 2018 09:30:31 2,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have 200hrs with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I think I finished it at around 120hrs but I was having such fun that I kept on playing and levelling up etc.

    I would like to replay a NG+ but yeah, I'll wait until there's nothing else out so I can focus on it.
  • JoelStinty 14 Feb 2018 09:57:18 6,314 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I would say that XC2 is a decent game, but i haven't been blown away by it. I have put 50 hours into it and i can play it for a couple of fine without feeling fatigued, but i feel something is missing and i can't quite put my fingers on it.

    But i would say it is worth playing. But i was more charmed by I am Setsuna to be honest.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Feb 2018 10:01:53 22,179 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    I would say that XC2 is a decent game, but i haven't been blown away by it. I have put 50 hours into it and i can play it for a couple of fine without feeling fatigued, but i feel something is missing and i can't quite put my fingers on it.

    But i would say it is worth playing. But i was more charmed by I am Setsuna to be honest.
    Interesting, I've sort of abandoned I am Setsuna as I find it dull (I'm only a few hours in though).

    XC2 seems so far to have similar strengths to the original XC which I adored, although the battle system is way more complicated.

    The only thing I'm disappointed with is the technical side, the dodgy framerate and low resolution does detract from the experience, 900p/stable 30fps would be a huge improvement.
  • JoelStinty 14 Feb 2018 10:15:06 6,314 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    I would say that XC2 is a decent game, but i haven't been blown away by it. I have put 50 hours into it and i can play it for a couple of fine without feeling fatigued, but i feel something is missing and i can't quite put my fingers on it.

    But i would say it is worth playing. But i was more charmed by I am Setsuna to be honest.
    Interesting, I've sort of abandoned I am Setsuna as I find it dull (I'm only a few hours in though).

    XC2 seems so far to have similar strengths to the original XC which I adored, although the battle system is way more complicated.

    The only thing I'm disappointed with is the technical side, the dodgy framerate and low resolution does detract from the experience, 900p/stable 30fps would be a huge improvement.
    I think it may be XC2 window dressing that hasn't convinced me yet. I like the general story set up, some of the characters are great, but at the moment it feels like a typical JRPG where you move on to the next town do a bit of battling, levelling up, story stuff and on to the next one. I can see the game design, and everything together hasn't quite drawn me out of seeing that. Perhaps i'm expecting too much after seeing the praise for the original, but as i said i actually get into it when playing the game i like it. Just not love it. Yet.

    I think that it probably needed a bit more development in terms of finessing everything to make everything fit together. It's almost there, but not quite.

    Whereas I am setusuna was pretty basic, but it was a whole package? if that makes sense, the story was interesting, the characters affable and the systems in place worked, and the presentation was great. I can see why people would be disappointed by it, but it it was effective nod back to my childhood.
  • Derblington 14 Feb 2018 10:25:27 30,766 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How long do I have to wait for Wave Race 3, Nintendo?
    And 1080 Snowboarding 2, please.

    Edited by Derblington at 10:25:48 14-02-2018
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Feb 2018 10:30:18 22,179 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    I would say that XC2 is a decent game, but i haven't been blown away by it. I have put 50 hours into it and i can play it for a couple of fine without feeling fatigued, but i feel something is missing and i can't quite put my fingers on it.

    But i would say it is worth playing. But i was more charmed by I am Setsuna to be honest.
    Interesting, I've sort of abandoned I am Setsuna as I find it dull (I'm only a few hours in though).

    XC2 seems so far to have similar strengths to the original XC which I adored, although the battle system is way more complicated.

    The only thing I'm disappointed with is the technical side, the dodgy framerate and low resolution does detract from the experience, 900p/stable 30fps would be a huge improvement.
    I think it may be XC2 window dressing that hasn't convinced me yet. I like the general story set up, some of the characters are great, but at the moment it feels like a typical JRPG where you move on to the next town do a bit of battling, levelling up, story stuff and on to the next one. I can see the game design, and everything together hasn't quite drawn me out of seeing that. Perhaps i'm expecting too much after seeing the praise for the original, but as i said i actually get into it when playing the game i like it. Just not love it. Yet.

    I think that it probably needed a bit more development in terms of finessing everything to make everything fit together. It's almost there, but not quite.

    Whereas I am setusuna was pretty basic, but it was a whole package? if that makes sense, the story was interesting, the characters affable and the systems in place worked, and the presentation was great. I can see why people would be disappointed by it, but it it was effective nod back to my childhood.
    I never played any of the 16 bit RPGs so don't have the nostalgia factor that you have, I'll try and continue a bit more with it when I get the chance.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Feb 2018 10:31:03 22,179 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    How long do I have to wait for Wave Race 3, Nintendo?
    And 1080 Snowboarding 2, please.
    I doubt you'll see Wave Race 3 ever tbh.
    1080 looks much more likely, especially as they recently did something with the patent.
  • Phattso 14 Feb 2018 10:39:17 23,080 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The best thing about I Am Setsuna is that it's done in under 30 hours. 50 if you want to do all the post-endgame stuff (I didn't, I ran, screaming, for the hills).

    That made it more palatable to me. Also not a player of 16bit RPGs, also had no nostalgia, had to push through two grind spikes, but it was basically worth the effort to get to the end... and confirm that JRPG as a genre absolutely still isn't my thing.
  • YYDeckard 14 Feb 2018 14:35:43 76 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Anyone know any deals on Bayonetta 2 with the digital download code for 1 as I see Amazon UK is out of stock :(
  • GarlVinland 14 Feb 2018 14:40:21 3,028 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Simply Games has it for £43. My preorder from Amazon was for £40 so only a few quid cheaper. And you'd probably get it before me too. :)
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 Feb 2018 15:11:05 7,514 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Someone on HUKD started a nasty rumour that it will be £35 at Argos on Friday.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.