Following Nintendo Switch Page 1020

• The_Goon 15 May 2018 12:05:18 897 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    after8ters wrote:
    The awful port of South Park racture But Whole is down to $39.99 on amazon.com, still £43 on .co.uk £29.99 price drop imminent I suppose, due to the buggy overpriced mess it's become.
    Shame. I was tempted to grab that at some point.
  • DangerousDave_87 15 May 2018 12:10:28 4,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It depends on your gaming tastes really. I sold my PS4 partially for that same reason. It actually had plenty of releases, of course, but I wasn't even playing the free games I was accumulating each month. Very little appealed to me at all. It became my Netflix machine, plus Rocket League.

I think you're in the same boat, but perhaps your tastes in gaming are the polar opposite of mine? It's not like it's been a quiet few months for releases. Or should I say re-releases. Obviously platformers aren't your thing and both Nintendo and indies release those by the bucket load. There have also been some niche games like Bayonetta and Warriors, that were never going to appeal to everyone.

I think the summer looks a lot more interesting though. That's before we hear anything from E3.
  • monkman76 15 May 2018 12:10:38 13,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm kind of with THFourteen here. Considering the great first year the Switch had, it seems to have pretty much lost all momentum. I was expecting a lot more, um, you know, NEW games by this point.
  • jimnastics 15 May 2018 12:21:01 1,409 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm drowning in a backlog of Switch games (including indies), and looking forward to plenty of announced games this year (regardless of whether they are ports or not, I don't see why that matters). Far from "dead as a dodo", this is as "alive" a console I've had for a long time.
  • monkman76 15 May 2018 12:24:45 13,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dead as a dodo was obviously an exaggeration, but it's been slow this year, inarguably I'd say. You might well have a backlog, but most of those will be games that released in the Switch's stellar first 9 months.
  • Kay 15 May 2018 12:29:39 19,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It was always going to be hard for the second year to live up the first, tbh - that's why the plan seemed to be to try and keep the momentum going with a few ports and loads of indie releases.

I think Smash Bros. and Pokemon are intended to be the two big releases later this year, but I'm sure there will be some surprise announcements at E3 (like that Star Fox racing game).
  • H1ggyLTD 15 May 2018 12:31:45 9,921 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dead as a dodo.

Christ.
  • rice_sandwich 15 May 2018 12:32:09 4,779 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There are obviously multiple first party and third party games currently in development that we know nothing about. A lot of these projects will only have started within the last few months given that devs were waiting to see how the Switch fared. So it's easy to see why things appear quiet in some people's view in comparison to the chock full launch phase.

I expect big things in 2019 for the Switch.
  • monkman76 15 May 2018 12:36:15 13,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, absolutely. I'm in no way regretting owning one. I do keep checking for interesting new releases though, and it feels like it's been quite a long time.

Even ports of recent indie games, to be honest I expected more of a flood of those considering how well they apparently sell.
  • Load_2.0 15 May 2018 12:40:48 27,329 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Being a Wii U owner the first year was nothing special. Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon... Had them already.

It is their biggest failing. Over and over again, I genuinely have zero interest in Indie games, most of which I could play on my phone. I have limited time free for gaming and would rather invest it in something rewarding rather than a time filler.

Release some new IPs FFS. There are some of us who find Mario dull as dishwater.

They have obscene amounts of money that should be being pumped into the studios.
  • Load_2.0 15 May 2018 12:43:53 27,329 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The only game I have any interest in is a port of Dark Souls.
  • monkman76 15 May 2018 12:45:03 13,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    It is their biggest failing. Over and over again, I genuinely have zero interest in Indie games, most of which I could play on my phone. I have limited time free for gaming and would rather invest it in something rewarding rather than a time filler.
    This is almost THFourteen-level indie game misrepresentation. Congrats!
  • Deleted user 15 May 2018 12:46:28
    Ordered battle chasers earlier. That switch tax though :/
  • Load_2.0 15 May 2018 12:48:41 27,329 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can only relay my point of view.

I find Xenoblade Chronicles far more emmersive and enjoyable than Pong 2018.
  • THFourteen 15 May 2018 12:50:16 49,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that the things i am looking forward to have become vaporware.

Dragon Quest XI? Vaporware.
    Fire Emblem? Vaporware.
    Pokemon? Vaporware.
    Even shitty ports like Titan Quest - what the fuck happened to it.

Where's the follow up games to things like Xenoblade 2. It's like they've set the standard high and now have nothing left.
  • Kay 15 May 2018 12:52:02 19,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Release some new IPs FFS. There are some of us who find Mario dull as dishwater.
    Honest question - how many more new IPs do you expect them to make? Even aside from Mario (and its various spin-offs), you have Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Fire Emblem just off the top of my head. That's significantly more than any other developer out there.

And in the last few years they've created Splatoon and Arms, so they are creating new IPs, and not always just relying on decades-old franchises...

Edited by Kay at 12:52:20 15-05-2018
  • Load_2.0 15 May 2018 12:53:30 27,329 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There is very little original content coming out when you remove all the ports.
  • Kay 15 May 2018 12:53:52 19,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fire Emblem? Vaporware.
    Pokemon? Vaporware.
    Wait, what? Those two are the very opposite of vapourware!
  • THFourteen 15 May 2018 12:55:23 49,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fire Emblem? Vaporware.
    Pokemon? Vaporware.
    Oh right, when are they coming out? Where are the screenshots? What will the games be like?
  • Mola_Ram 15 May 2018 12:55:45 18,250 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have zero interest in playing most Indie games on my phone. And I've played some tremendously rewarding ones, so I don't know where this perception of them being "time fillers" comes from. Do you think that they're all like Flappy Bird or something?

As for the Switch, I am more than satisfied. I never owned a WiiU, so ports from that are like new games for me. I imagine my feelings would be more mixed if I'd had time to play this treasure trove of fantastic ports in their original forms, but... I didn't.

I will be more concerned if the relatively slow schedule continues, but right now it's more than a bit ridiculous to call the thing "dead" or whatever.
  • Load_2.0 15 May 2018 12:57:21 27,329 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Zelda, Metroid and Mario are over 30 years old. Pokemon must be 20 years plus.

They have the time and money to produce new games.
  • Kay 15 May 2018 12:58:33 19,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fire Emblem? Vaporware.
    Pokemon? Vaporware.
    Oh right, when are they coming out? Where are the screenshots? What will the games be like?
    By your definition, the new Smash Bros. and MP4 are vapourware.

Apparently the new Pokemon is being revealed this month, and out in Q4.
  • Help_me 15 May 2018 13:00:01 1,029 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seen a couple of youtube vids that infer there are around twelve new games on the E3 schedule. Guess we'll have to wait a month to find out.
  • THFourteen 15 May 2018 13:01:03 49,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fire Emblem? Vaporware.
    Pokemon? Vaporware.
    By your definition, the new Smash Bros. and MP4 are vapourware.

Apparently the new Pokemon is being revealed this month, and out in Q4.
    Smash and MP4 ARE vaporware, its just i have no interest in them.

THere is nothing official on pokemon at all.
  • captain-Snufkin 15 May 2018 13:05:28 419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Zelda, Metroid and Mario are over 30 years old. Pokemon must be 20 years plus.

They have the time and money to produce new games.
    They've spent loads on cardboard boxes. Next they're sinking millions into R and D for Papier-mâché.

Edited by captain-Snufkin at 13:05:56 15-05-2018
  • The_Goon 15 May 2018 13:09:03 897 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just give me fucking Golden Sun FFS. I could do with fewer ports though. I've either already played them or have no interest in them (otherwise I would have already played them...). They don't have to be Switch exclusives but give us something new. I appreciate the portability factor admittedly and almost exclusively play on my commute but it would be nice to see my investment has some legs.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2018 13:11:45
    I should get garage polished off tonight (preparing for final battle I think) great game though.
  • DangerousDave_87 15 May 2018 13:15:18 4,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If I wasn't part of this 10 game challenge, i'd have soaked up more games than I'd ever have time for. Runner 3, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Ikaruga and Pixeljunk Monsters 2 are all out this month.
  • Mola_Ram 15 May 2018 13:16:11 18,250 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Just give me fucking Golden Sun FFS. I could do with fewer ports though. I've either already played them or have no interest in them (otherwise I would have already played them...). They don't have to be Switch exclusives but give us something new. I appreciate the portability factor admittedly and almost exclusively play on my commute but it would be nice to see my investment has some legs.
    Actually yeah, I would really like a lot more RPGs to come out for it. New stuff is preferable, but even some ports/remakes would be alright (can't wait until TWEWY remix comes out). Those 100+ hour JRPGs will be a lot more doable for me if I can play them on the train.
  • Dave_McCoy 15 May 2018 13:23:09 3,098 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My order for Octopath Traveller at Argos has just been cancelled too. £5 off something as an apology. To be fair, that's OK.. I can use it towards Dark Souls or Xenoblade Chronicles or something.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.