Nintendo Switch Page 1043

• JoelStinty 13 Jun 2018 09:53:57 6,544 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Played an hour or so of fortnite this morning, managed a 5th place finish too!. I can see why people love it. Especially towards end game.

It's a bit shonky, the shooting ain't great and i can't hit a barn door, but i can see myself dipping in and out of this quite often.
  • monkman76 13 Jun 2018 09:56:02 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @UncleLou Thanks for your concern :) So Dead Cells has procedurally generated levels and only some (or none) of your unlocks are permanent? While Hollow Knight has human-designed levels and unlocks are permanent? I feel like the terms Metroidvania and roguelike are getting less specific the more they are used.

Edited by monkman76 at 09:56:18 13-06-2018
  • THFourteen 13 Jun 2018 09:56:18 48,516 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Like an iphone
    giggity
  • GarlVinland 13 Jun 2018 10:17:19 3,190 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @monkman76 in this case, Metroidvania and roguelite are accurate. Dead Cells has permadeath, but earning items add them to the loot pool for future runs. Not sure if levels themselves are procedurally generated but enemy and item placement are.

Hollow Knight is a traditional Metroidvania mixed with quite a bit of Souls DNA. I've played little of HK and lots of DC, and love both. Can't wait for the DC release.

@Duffking I suppose Fortnite was never the game for me, I hate resource gathering. The first thing my team did when landing was starting chopping down trees. I just wanna kill people!
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Jun 2018 10:20:29 39,509 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @monkman76 Yeah. Dead Cells is a game where you start over when you die, but you keep some permanent unlocks. You can - in theory - finish one run comparatively quickly, if you play like a God. Think Spelunky (er, with unlocks, though).

Hollow Knight is a huge, hand-crafted world you gradually explore. When you die, you lose your souls which you need to buy stuff, with one chance to get them back (heard that before?) and you are back at the last checkpoint.

They are very different games, structurally. Both are beautiful, and in both it's a joy just to control the character.

Edited by UncleLou at 10:21:42 13-06-2018
  • el_pollo_diablo 13 Jun 2018 10:28:24 2,795 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really wasn't expecting much from the conference but I was hoping we might see at least some of the smaller handheld franchises jump over to Switch - I'd love a new Pullblox, Boxboy, or Rhythm Heaven.
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Jun 2018 10:34:06 39,509 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @el_pollo_diablo I'd guess they are the type of games that just pop up in the eshop one day, more or less unannounced.

Anyway, I thought Fire Emblem looked great. Awakening is as close to perfection as any game ever was, and if it's anything like that, and with that massive technical/graphical jump, it might just be my GOTY 2019.

Edited by UncleLou at 10:34:33 13-06-2018
  • rice_sandwich 13 Jun 2018 10:37:32 4,505 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @el_pollo_diablo

Taiko Drum Master is out late July, with an English patch coming late August. It's worth a look if you don't mind importing it (or buying on the JP eshop).

Edited by rice_sandwich at 10:38:14 13-06-2018
  • Mola_Ram 13 Jun 2018 10:42:45 17,941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I loved the look of the battles in Fire Emblem for sure. I don't know if the extra units on the battlefield are just cosmetic or not, but man it looks so much better than the 3ds entries (which I loved, and played the hell out of).
  • jimnastics 13 Jun 2018 10:43:52 1,353 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grim Fandango Remastered coming to Switch:

https://www.vooks.net/grim-fandango-remastered-is-coming-to-the-switch/

Very happy with that! Haven't played it since the original on release, have been meaning to get around to the remaster. Lovely little surprise after yesterday.
  • el_pollo_diablo 13 Jun 2018 10:48:05 2,795 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @el_pollo_diablo

Taiko Drum Master is out late July, with an English patch coming late August. It's worth a look if you don't mind importing it (or buying on the JP eshop).
    Yes! I will be picking this up for sure.
  • monkman76 13 Jun 2018 10:50:45 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @UncleLou @GarlVinland Thanks both, interesting. I think roguelikes may not be for me - your descriptions of DC made me slightly less interested, I must confess! Maybe I'll give HK a go.

Or Yoku, which might be more my level of difficulty :)
  • Pipedream 13 Jun 2018 12:45:58 350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reggie mentioned how well indie games are doing so I expect they’ll be a little indie showcase sometime over the coming weeks.

Hasn’t Nintendo’s E3 always been a bit meh?
  • Pipedream 13 Jun 2018 12:46:02 350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reggie mentioned how well indie games are doing so I expect they’ll be a little indie showcase sometime over the coming weeks.

• MatMan562 13 Jun 2018 12:50:32 3,446 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Pipedream Until last year, yes. But I think that after the success of the Switch and Nintendo's huge increase in amount of games since the Wii U people were expecting that to continue.

Thankfully I'm a massive fan of Smash so still really, really enjoyed the Direct but with Fire Emblem and Yoshi being delayed until 2019 the end of 2018 is looking a little barebones if you're not hugely into Smash and Pokemon.
  • The_Goon 13 Jun 2018 12:50:41 893 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:

Very happy with that! Haven't played it since the original on release, have been meaning to get around to the remaster. Lovely little surprise after yesterday.
    Surely, it will be far more expensive than a mobile/tablet version and offer little in the way of improved user experience? Why bother? Not trying to be snarky - genuinely interested in hearing why one would want this for the Switch.
  • mad_caddy 13 Jun 2018 13:18:09 3,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Grim Fandango is the one game I never played. I moved from PC gaming at the time. So it'll be a welcome addition to the switch for me.
  • JoelStinty 13 Jun 2018 13:23:08 6,544 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pipedream wrote:

They've had good ones and bad ones. But they've always done it to the beat of their own drum. They don't really see it like the fans do. Just a few directs through the year. I guess if you combined all directs into one thing it'll mostly impress every year, but the internet doesn't work like that. The regular drip feed of information works better in the long term for them.

They maybe should put in a little more effort at E3 though, they know them selves in recent years (metroid announcement /ridley announcement) how people get whipped up into a craze and its a good thing for them.
  • THFourteen 13 Jun 2018 13:29:42 48,516 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Love how 2 days ago i was being lambasted for being "tiresome" and now everyones moaning there's fuck all to play ;-)

DLC for Rabbids (doesnt count as a game @Phattso) and octopath will keep me going till august easily.

TBH i moan a lot but all i really need is one meaty game a month or even less than that to keep me going.

Fire Emblem trailer did look really good.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Jun 2018 13:34:50 17,941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think people just generally like to moan a bit. Shocking, I know. :)
  • Kay 13 Jun 2018 13:36:47 19,599 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    jimnastics wrote:

Surely, it will be far more expensive than a mobile/tablet version and offer little in the way of improved user experience? Why bother? Not trying to be snarky - genuinely interested in hearing why one would want this for the Switch.
    Because you have the option of both touch and button control options, and you can also play it on a big screen... that was my reasoning when I got the Switch version of Thimbleweed Park over the mobile/tablet versions.
  • The_Goon 13 Jun 2018 14:06:08 893 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    The_Goon wrote:
    jimnastics wrote:

Because you have the option of both touch and button control options, and you can also play it on a big screen... that was my reasoning when I got the Switch version of Thimbleweed Park over the mobile/tablet versions.
    Fair play. Each to their own. Wouldn't want to play with button control personally so having it on big screen would be a waste of time for me. Would be just getting it on Switch for the sake of having a Switch game, which, obviously, is pointless.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Jun 2018 14:24:15 2,750 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Love how 2 days ago i was being lambasted for being "tiresome" and now everyones moaning there's fuck all to play ;-)

DLC for Rabbids (doesnt count as a game @Phattso) and octopath will keep me going till august easily.

TBH i moan a lot but all i really need is one meaty game a month or even less than that to keep me going.

Fire Emblem trailer did look really good.
    I kinda agree with this, it is something Nintendo did well last year but this year it has fallen by the wayside a bit, I am looking forward to Mario Tennis next week and surprisingly Fifa 18 plays really well.

also we have Octopath traveller next month which looks decent :) and a fair chunk of third party support.

Lastly, Fire emblem did look really good yes, It is something i cant wait to get my hands on.
  • SmokingKipper 13 Jun 2018 14:40:24 147 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JoelStinty Apparently it gets much easier on console if you change your control scheme to Builder Pro. This assigns each of the triggers to a building type (ramp, wall, etc.) - so you can spam ZR to build a floor.

It makes building much easier for controller users - it doesn't help with my shit aim though!
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Jun 2018 15:17:30 1,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All releases with (I think) up to date dates!

Edited by DakeyrasUK at 15:18:04 13-06-2018
  • BigOrkWaaagh 13 Jun 2018 15:20:24 7,603 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /squints
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Jun 2018 15:21:25 1,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A bit small... Link to image

Certainly looking light in November and December. But I'm happy with Mario Tennis, Mario rabbids dlc, Octopath traveller, Okami HD, xenoblade dlc, mario party, star link, pokemon, smash bros. To provide something each month.

Not that I will by any means be getting them all, but there is something each month for me.
  • Kay 13 Jun 2018 15:24:49 19,599 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    The_Goon wrote:
    jimnastics wrote:

Fair play. Each to their own. Wouldn't want to play with button control personally so having it on big screen would be a waste of time for me. Would be just getting it on Switch for the sake of having a Switch game, which, obviously, is pointless.
    I didn't use touch controls at all for TP, I find them quite fiddly for point and click games. I much prefer using a traditional controller, as odd as it may sound. Being able to sit back and play on the big screen was just a nice bonus. It's the versatility of Switch ports that makes them the definitive versions of most games, imo.
  • monkman76 13 Jun 2018 15:28:30 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    A bit small... Link to image

Certainly looking light in November and December. But I'm happy with Mario Tennis, Mario rabbids dlc, Octopath traveller, Okami HD, xenoblade dlc, mario party, star link, pokemon, smash bros. To provide something each month.

Not that I will by any means be getting them all, but there is something each month for me.
    Can't see Firewatch on those lists. Thought that was supposed to be released in Spring?!
  • yegon 13 Jun 2018 15:40:13 6,215 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lousy E3 for the Switch for my tastes, nothing appeals at all. Not fussed, got a healthy backlog of Switch games to plough through and there always seems to be a quick announce and release of something I like every month or two.

The Nintendo stuff I hunger for is F Zero, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Galaxy Collection, another Mario Maker.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.