Following Nintendo Switch Page 1084

• whatfruitlivesagain 8 Aug 2018 16:39:46 1,402 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    I haven't touched my Switch since Mario Odessy released last year.

I've tried to get back into Zelda but the game annoys me like a posh smug twelve year old at a dinner party.
    wet blanket princess doesnt help

GET A GRIP ffs
    My biggest issue is that character advancement is completely divorced from the main gameplay. In the Witcher 3 to gain levels you rode around on your horse killing foul monsters, writing wrongs and seducing ladies with elastic knickers. In Zelda you get forced into a MGS style VR room to complete some crappy puzzle or challenge.

The whole game should have been exploring the giant beasts. I hate being forced on a artificial treadmill to unlock content.

The game was wasting my finite, precious time.

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 16:41:50 08-08-2018
  • DakeyrasUK 8 Aug 2018 16:59:24 2,083 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Holy shit I'm getting Smash bros ultimate day 1!

28 hrs of music and the ability to listen to it with the screen turned off as an mp3 player is very attractive to me!

Also 103 stages is just mental and very much welcomed.

This direct has got me all excited!
  • XtraCheese 8 Aug 2018 17:00:11 116 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    So IGN parted ways with the reviewer who ripped off parts of his Dead Cells review... What a strange story that was.
    Baffles me how someone who you would expect to have at least average levels of intelligence due to securing a role at IGN, would have the stupidity to think he would get anything less than the sack for this behaviour.
  • H1ggyLTD 8 Aug 2018 17:13:04 10,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:

28 hrs of music and the ability to listen to it with the screen turned off as an mp3 player is very attractive to me!

I've never played one but the gameplay looks utterly chaotic. How much is winning down to chance?
  • XtraCheese 8 Aug 2018 17:17:25 116 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Yeah Smash Bros looks rather promising
  • DakeyrasUK 8 Aug 2018 18:03:58 2,083 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    DakeyrasUK wrote:

I've never played one but the gameplay looks utterly chaotic. How much is winning down to chance?
    As a group of newbs completely which is part of the brilliance. When you are somewhat practiced you should be winning easily.
  • Deleted user 8 August 2018 19:38:16
    It has been a bit bare bones this year depending on tastes. It's not really an issue for me as I don't get a great deal of free time for gaming so a game like Octopath will take me most of a year to get through. The Indies are good for when I want a quick session on something.

As for smash bros I really don't like it. I've tried to get into it with each iteration but just can't.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Aug 2018 19:51:39 5,291 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd love to play The Witcher 3, but every cutscenes I saw on Highlight Reel was really cringe worthy, ignoring the glitches they were highlighting obviously. Just give me a game that works without the need of a narrative to prop it up like some old man on crutches.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Aug 2018 20:00:20 4,539 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @H1ggyLTD smash is played at evo... chance has no place in it.
  • H1ggyLTD 8 Aug 2018 20:10:25 10,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    @H1ggyLTD smash is played at evo... chance has no place in it.
    They are pulling moves off with characters behind them.

I'm sure i'm over-egging it but it's hardly pure Street Fighter is it.

I'll probably buy it.

Edited by H1ggyLTD at 20:11:12 08-08-2018
  • Dombat 8 Aug 2018 20:33:54 1,444 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just watched the Direct. Wow, it's living up to the 'Ultimate' part of its name, they're throwing everything at this Smash.

It's funny how much my game tastes have changed. When I was teenager I was forced into playing Melee and didn't like it at all. Back then I wanted to be playing RPGs and stuff. Now I sadly have very little interest in playing Octopath (or any other JRPG for that matter) but Smash Ultimate is my most anticipated game of the year.
  • Kay 8 Aug 2018 20:37:03 19,767 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    I'd love to play The Witcher 3, but every cutscenes I saw on Highlight Reel was really cringe worthy, ignoring the glitches they were highlighting obviously. Just give me a game that works without the need of a narrative to prop it up like some old man on crutches.
    The narrative and cut-scenes are actually the best part of the game.
  • Kay 8 Aug 2018 21:06:01 19,767 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Okami is out on the Switch tomorrow and I've just realised that, weirdly enough, it's now currently the closest thing to a traditional Zelda game available on the console. It has its flaws (and goes on far longer than it needs to), but it's such an incredibly beautiful game, both visually and aurally.

It's also a rock-solid port at native res with touchscreen controls, so no excuse really if anyone is remotely interested in action-adventure games and has never played it before.
  • Deleted user 8 August 2018 21:11:21
    I've never played it. Just seems pointless buying it yet though when I've got Octopath and ys 8 on the go.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Aug 2018 22:48:10 5,291 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's not really much like those two games. Its mow an adventure game than an RPG.

In other news, Nintendo managed to make Smash Bros look more exciting than they did at E3.
  • vyseofhr 9 Aug 2018 07:07:39 1,163 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it was much better. They got too bogged down in the minutae at E3 whereas this Direct was just slapping you around the face with new (exciting) information, not shit about a given characterís hit box being half a pixel wider.

For me, the E3 presentation and the Direct should have been the other way around - the game itself is so slick by this point that itís the characters, stages and music that everyone wants to know about and that will get people talking, with the deeper look saved until closer to release.
  • nickthegun 9 Aug 2018 07:18:12 75,771 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wade_Garrett wrote:
    As for smash bros I really don't like it. I've tried to get into it with each iteration but just can't.
    Its one of those games you either play for five minutes or become completely addicted to.

Im the same as you, I keep buying it, expecting it to click but it never does. My brain just cant cope with that much happening on the screen.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Aug 2018 07:23:55 10,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It doesn't help that it all goes so bloody small when there are more than 2 players on a level.
  • mangojoe 9 Aug 2018 08:01:04 2,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    It doesn't help that it all goes so bloody small when there are more than 2 players on a level.
    That's enough about your orgies!

I'm the same though. I want to like this game but never holds my interest . No doubt I'll buy this though
  • jimnastics 9 Aug 2018 10:14:03 1,475 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems like they've nailed it with Okami... I did have it on the Wii but only played it a bit, life got in the way back then. Seems like a great time to try again on the Switch!
  • Load_2.0 9 Aug 2018 10:52:14 28,275 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I am sure there is a really strong mechanic with the game and I have watched few of the competitive/tournament matches on Youtube but it's never grabbed me.

It would be a fun game with a few mated every now and again but it doesn't grab me as an online or single player option.
  • DangerousDave_87 9 Aug 2018 16:25:09 5,291 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not that big a fan of fighting games in general, but Smash Bros is about as accessible and as generous as they come. It appreciate that moves aren't complicated to pull of and so you can get straight into strategies when fighting. Or you can adjust the settings and deal with the random carnage with some friends.

I'm not sure I'll be picking it up this side of Christmas, however. Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Pokemon will be top of the shopping list.
  • DangerousDave_87 9 Aug 2018 17:34:19 5,291 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Valkyria Chronicles 4 Demo was very enjoyable, by the way. I'd definitely recommend it to any Fire Emblem fans. Its the first time I've played one and it seems to have a similar(ish) set up with just as much depth to it. Its also a very nice looking game.
  • timur 9 Aug 2018 18:37:09 32 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Minit is out on the eshop today and it seems like a perfect fit.

Unfortunately it's also £8.99 - it's £6.99 on Steam. No idea why but that's made it go from a day one purchase to a 'wait for sale' one.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2018 18:56:32
    timur wrote:
    Minit is out on the eshop today and it seems like a perfect fit.

Unfortunately it's also £8.99 - it's £6.99 on Steam. No idea why but that's made it go from a day one purchase to a 'wait for sale' one.
    £7.53 from those bleddy sarf afrikaans.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2018 19:00:06
    nickthegun wrote:
    Wade_Garrett wrote:
    Its one of those games you either play for five minutes or become completely addicted to.

Im the same as you, I keep buying it, expecting it to click but it never does. My brain just cant cope with that much happening on the screen.
    Yep. It's that highly regarded I keep thinking I'm missing something or just wasn't in the mood for the last version, but yeah I think you've nailed it with the overload of onscreen antics. I've no fucking idea what's happening.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Aug 2018 19:01:02 4,539 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I like it as a you get to play as your favourite characters and beat up mario but never stuck with it.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2018 19:22:00
    Flipping death looks pretty cool. Might get that.
  • Rufus 9 Aug 2018 19:26:18 1,840 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What sites do you use for eShop voucher codes, aside from Shopto (need to wait until the following day) and Amazon (sold out). Trying to buy a voucher as a gift for someone...

EDIT: trying to surprise someone with a gift tonight

Edited by Rufus at 19:27:09 09-08-2018

Edited by Rufus at 19:28:31 09-08-2018
  • ghearoid 9 Aug 2018 19:44:53 3,111 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rufus

I use PayPal digital gifts. You pay, they email you a code for the eShop.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.