Following Nintendo Switch Page 1149

• neems 5 Nov 2018 16:06:27 4,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @THFourteen

Even more than that, you can put the cartridge in and just play. No installation that I can remember, no patches... just play.
  • quadfather 5 Nov 2018 20:14:56 33,266 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jesus Christ. The necro is unbelievable around level 30
  • Pipedream 5 Nov 2018 20:46:52 419 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What's that Diablo language pack in the eshop for?

I popped into Game on the walk back from work and they didn't have Diablo 3 in stock. How dare they.
  • Lotos8ter 5 Nov 2018 21:16:35 2,634 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @neems thanks for the D3 explanation. Iím not on Switch, Iíve gone back to it on PS4 but that makes a lot more sense now. Iíve rolled a Necromancer for the first time, spiking low level enemies to death and then blowing up their corpses for tougher enemies is showing no signs of getting old....
  • quadfather 5 Nov 2018 21:40:06 33,266 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Lotos8ter

Wait till you get a decent weapon drop and hit level 20-30. I've never seen such carnage!
  • GuybrushFreepwood 5 Nov 2018 21:59:01 338 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Pipedream its a 5gb download for UK English. I selected it thinking I needed it and sat waiting for it to load as the game wouldn't load.

Then I looked at the languages and selected "US English' and the game loaded no problem and the voices were the same as I remembered.

Tldr, ignore them and make sure us English is selected.
  • richardiox 6 Nov 2018 09:14:46 7,371 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've just found another poor example of Nintendos networking ability, or lack thereof.

Unlike every other platform, pre ordered digital games seemingly don't become avaliable to play at 1201am on release date.

Trying to boot up Rogue Legacy, that is listed for release on 6/11 and the error message is telling me the game isn't out yet. /rechecks today's date.
  • THFourteen 6 Nov 2018 09:25:47 50,012 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    @THFourteen you can jump in from the get go it seems.
    Thats so fucking amazing. Game ordered today, arrives tomorrow, straight to the pub, crack it open and play

The world we live in i tell you
    This plan might be kaiboshed, am halfway through a boss fight in Octopath, and unless i can find time to finish it, i don't want to quit as it was a PITA to get as far as i have!
  • rice_sandwich 6 Nov 2018 09:25:57 4,873 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Eshop games are usually available after 2pm. First party games are often available at midnight. It often depends on the publisher.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Nov 2018 09:29:21 18,787 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gotta be honest, "I can't play my games at literally 12:01 on release date" is pretty low on my list of things that Nintendo did bad. Just go to sleep!
  • jimnastics 6 Nov 2018 09:34:41 1,469 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished off Yoku's Island Express yesterday, god damn what a game that is! One of my highlights of the year so far.
  • dominalien 6 Nov 2018 09:38:51 8,844 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Eshop games are usually available after 2pm. First party games are often available at midnight. It often depends on the publisher.
    Theyíre taking care of the economy, making sure people get some work done before they can play.

Reminds me of this here country where at one point shops were forbidden from selling alcohol before 1pm so people would at least start the day more or less sober.
  • richardiox 6 Nov 2018 09:41:31 7,371 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Gotta be honest, "I can't play my games at literally 12:01 on release date" is pretty low on my list of things that Nintendo did bad. Just go to sleep!
    Yeah, it's not a huge deal obviously and there's LOADS of things much higher on my "nintendo did bad" list. Just another illustration of Nintendo being worse than all the other platforms with regard to digital.
  • macmurphy 6 Nov 2018 10:56:56 3,483 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    Finished off Yoku's Island Express yesterday, god damn what a game that is! One of my highlights of the year so far.
    Me too I think. It was utterly lovely.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Nov 2018 11:36:07 4,873 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GOTY for me.
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Nov 2018 12:21:42 39,840 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @richardiox Does every little indie game on PSN launch at midnight now? Thatís definitely not how it used to be.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2018 12:26:29 32,206 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah, it's not a huge deal obviously and there's LOADS of things much higher on my "nintendo did bad" list. Just another illustration of Nintendo being worse than all the other platforms with regard to digital.
    To be fair, this is exactly how it works with the Nintendo games I've downloaded. This begs the question question whether they allow it for third-party publishers and those publishers choose not to do it, or whether Nintendo bar them from doing so and keep that option to themselves for some weird/Nintendo-ish reason.

I've definitely had at least 1 non-Nintendo game that midnight launched, so my gut feeling (with no evidence to support it) is third-parties can do it, but it costs more. Nintendo wouldn't charge themselves to have a staff member flick the button to make something playable at midnight, but maybe they do ask for more money from other publishers? As I say, just guessing, based on almost no evidence, but in games journalism some person on the internet guessing is enough, for some reason.
  • quadfather 6 Nov 2018 12:42:47 33,266 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Am I going mad, or is the cost to combine gems in Diablo 3 ludicrously expensive? I'm sure it wasn't this pricey before.
  • neems 6 Nov 2018 13:26:04 4,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DFawkes

It might depend on whether the publishers wants a simultaneous global launch, or staggered across each time zone.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Nov 2018 13:38:01 338 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Just spent the lunch playing Diablo. It was great to totally zone out and just forget everything except a need to slay demons.

Started a new character, a crusader. Pretty good fun so far and starting to look like a walking tin can which is good.
  • Malek86 6 Nov 2018 13:52:37 7,660 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @quadfather the cost for the best gems goes from 200k up to 500k for the flawless royal ones. And of course, in order to combine the flawless royal gems, you first have to combine all of the required lower levels.

When I had to replace my four Imperial gems (the highest rank you'll find as a drop) with Flawless Royal ones, I had to scrounge up something like 50 millions gold total. All in order to increase my elemental resistances by 36 and my critical damage by 15%.

In retrospect, it would have probably been a terrible investment, if I didn't have like 600 millions stashed away.

Edit: and now that I think about it, if what they said about the Goblin Amiibo is true, Switch players might be able to get tons of gold very quickly anyway.

Edited by Malek86 at 14:13:24 06-11-2018
  • THFourteen 6 Nov 2018 13:58:21 50,012 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    I'm still playing Octopath but I find it really difficult to play in short bursts, I enjoy the dialogue but it can go on for ages at times.
    I am starting to see what you mean. I think i literally went through one loooooong dialog scene all the way home last night.
  • RyanDS 6 Nov 2018 14:08:04 12,175 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am tempted to drop Octopath. Loved it for a while... then suddenly need to grind about 10 levels to get to the second tier of quests. On each character individually.

Not sure I have that much time to waste.
  • THFourteen 6 Nov 2018 14:10:13 50,012 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    I am tempted to drop Octopath. Loved it for a while... then suddenly need to grind about 10 levels to get to the second tier of quests. On each character individually.

I'm assuming that the best way to play this would be to make a save after getting all 8 characters, then play through the game once with 4 and another time with the other 4 if you want to see all 8 endings?

I have 4 characters at the moment, one is level 12 the lowest is level 4, bit stupid IMO.

I have Oberon, Cyrus, Ophilia and Tessa - someone tell me if my party is IMBA pls

Edited by THFourteen at 14:10:53 06-11-2018
  • quadfather 6 Nov 2018 14:24:30 33,266 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @quadfather the cost for the best gems goes from 200k up to 500k for the flawless royal ones. And of course, in order to combine the flawless royal gems, you first have to combine all of the required lower levels.

When I had to replace my four Imperial gems (the highest rank you'll find as a drop) with Flawless Royal ones, I had to scrounge up something like 50 millions gold total. All in order to increase my elemental resistances by 36 and my critical damage by 15%.

In retrospect, it would have probably been a terrible investment, if I didn't have like 600 millions stashed away.

Edit: and now that I think about it, if what they said about the Goblin Amiibo is true, Switch players might be able to get tons of gold very quickly anyway.
    Nice one, thanks. I think it might be because I played the majority of it on the pc and like you say, I had a fuckton stashed. Now that I'm on the ps4 I have no deposits, so to speak.

Bugger!

Ah well, I'll get there again and it's another reason to keep going :)

Just hit act 5
  • RyanDS 6 Nov 2018 14:33:37 12,175 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:

I'm assuming that the best way to play this would be to make a save after getting all 8 characters, then play through the game once with 4 and another time with the other 4 if you want to see all 8 endings?

I have 4 characters at the moment, one is level 12 the lowest is level 4, bit stupid IMO.

I have Oberon, Cyrus, Ophilia and Tessa - someone tell me if my party is IMBA pls
    Looking around the best way is to get 4 up to level 30 or whatever, then do one quest. Swap in a new character (so you have 3 @ 30, 1 @ 12) and let the 3 pick up the slack during the next quest and hopefully he catches up. Then swap in another.
    The grind is silly though, way too much.
  • Murbs 6 Nov 2018 14:40:17 24,017 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

Not too bad imho.

Cyrus for hit all spells is great (especially the hit twice powered up versions) plus ability to identify weaknesses. Olberic a bit of a tank, ophilia for the heals and Tessa has a great donate BP skill, not to mention weapon flexibility with bow and spear.
  • GloatingSwine 6 Nov 2018 15:04:17 3,772 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't rate Ophilia as a permanent party member. Can get by with cleric as a secondary job for someone. I tend to roll with Primrose, H'aanit (beasts can be super hard hitting), and Therion as a core three then swap the fourth for whoevers chapter I'm on, and distribute secondary jobs to fill in weapon and element gaps.
  • The_Goon 6 Nov 2018 16:26:45 1,071 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My soup for lunch leaked in my bag a bit. Back of Switch covered in a light film of minestrone. Pray for me. (Seems to be working ok for now in fairness...; don't think any got inside the device.)
  • Phattso 6 Nov 2018 16:30:32 24,010 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There was talk of Nintendo releasing a souped-up Switch in the next year or so, so you're ahead of the game.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.