Following Nintendo Switch Page 1173

• nickthegun 6 Dec 2018 13:17:03 75,878 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sample review: 'The Wii U game but with one completely unbalanced character that ruins everything'

Edited by nickthegun at 13:17:29 06-12-2018
  • AddyJB 6 Dec 2018 13:31:04 545 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    yegon wrote:
    Edge gave it a 9.

I wish I was even slightly interested in Smash, I love the look of it, but the gameplay leaves me stone cold unfortunately.
    I'm the same. I'm always baffled by the love for it as the gameplay is shallow as fuck and really repetitive. For me anyway.
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2018 13:35:50 9,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Wii U Smash Bros game was the first one I played and I loved it, even though I'm not a fan of fighting games normally. I hope this one doesn't have as much lag though, and some kind of way to play with friends against randomers online.

I'm close to giving up on Octopath Traveller. It looks lovely but the gameplay is as generic as JRPGs can get, and the writing is cringe worthy. No idea how it reviewed so well.
  • macmurphy 6 Dec 2018 13:38:15 3,586 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh dear. It seems like Smash is rather good.

Thatís going to cost me.
  • Kay 6 Dec 2018 13:51:18 19,771 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    @Kay Audio seems fine to me, but I've not played any other version. I'm more referring to controls, camera, hit detection and such. It's perfectly playable, though.
    Ah ok. I'm sure certain aspects of it have aged, but I just wondered how the Switch version held up to the original 360/PS3 release.
  • Slikz 6 Dec 2018 14:21:44 292 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As always Simply Games have come good and my copy of Smash is waiting for me! Just a few hours left of work....
  • The_Goon 6 Dec 2018 14:26:40 1,122 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never played Smash but I'm tempted merely because of the hype and it's really annoying me. Wish there was a demo of it before I dump cash into it.

Also, are there any people who want to share a family subscription to the online service?
  • whatfruitlivesagain 6 Dec 2018 14:45:53 1,443 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @andytheadequate Because JRPGS are horrible to play for anyone over 13 review sites enlist the JRPG resident nerd who has the mental age of 13.
  • macmurphy 6 Dec 2018 15:17:56 3,586 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know you have to be a bit of a wanker to moan about a free site, but does anybody else think itís a bit of a shit show that thereís nothing about Smash?

One of the biggest (arguably the biggest) Switch releases of the year and not even a mention on the front page? They donít have to give a score (Nintendolife held back waiting on net code) but youíd think it would merit an impressions piece or even just an acknowledgement that the review embargo has lifted and something about it is on the way?
  • Phattso 6 Dec 2018 15:18:59 24,144 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Didnít they publish a big article a couple of weeks ago based on a press preview of the single player? Just go read that! :)
  • Phattso 6 Dec 2018 15:19:20 24,144 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For my part Iím happy they donít waste too much time reviewing ports.
  • macmurphy 6 Dec 2018 15:20:58 3,586 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    For my part Iím happy they donít waste too much time reviewing ports.
    Wow. Shots fired...
  • THFourteen 6 Dec 2018 15:23:18 50,250 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I'm close to giving up on Octopath Traveller. It looks lovely but the gameplay is as generic as JRPGs can get, and the writing is cringe worthy. No idea how it reviewed so well.
    Mines already been sold on ebay (£33 delivered if you want a benchmark)

I don't get it either, its nothing like as good as even older games like DQ VIII that i played this year on 3DS.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Dec 2018 15:52:31 13,987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Mines already been sold on ebay (£33 delivered if you want a benchmark)

I don't get it either, its nothing like as good as even older games like DQ VIII that i played this year on 3DS.
    I thought Octopath was great. True it does not compare well to DQ8 but DQ8 was one of the best games of the PS2 generation.
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2018 16:13:07 9,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    @andytheadequate Because JRPGS are horrible to play for anyone over 13 review sites enlist the JRPG resident nerd who has the mental age of 13.
    It could have been released at the same time as Chrono Trigger and you wouldnt have noticed, apart from the graphics. I'm not sure it had any unique features apart from being able to start as any of the characters, but even this doesnt seem like a massive deal.

Same with other retro genres, especially point and click games. They appeal to a certain kind of gamer due to their nostalgia, and they're always reviewed by someone who loves them.
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2018 16:14:35 9,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    Oh dear. It seems like Smash is rather good.

Thatís going to cost me.
    If you do end up buying it then you'll have to add me, although I'll have to figure out what my friend's code is first. I don't have the game yet but will be soon.
  • macmurphy 6 Dec 2018 16:29:54 3,586 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @andytheadequate

I think I will. I remember I bought it on the Wii U and I was really uninspired when I bought it, thinking it would be same old smash which isnít great now Iím old and almost never do local MP.

But actually getting all the trophies and the game unlocks and the mini games and the fan service was a lot of fun. Even as a one player game it kept me going for a really long time.

I can understand people who say the central mechanics leave them unmoved, but I always found it quite good fun and if you can get local multiplayer games with likeminded friends itís a thing of wonder.

So yeah, I think Iíll pick it up. I almost certainly would have done at some quiet point in the release schedule anyway. Sounds like thereís a lot of decent single player content and thatís all I was after.
  • Duffking 6 Dec 2018 16:49:44 15,938 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @andytheadequate the actual turn based battle mechanics are pretty unique, with the BP system. Not totally, but only because it's based on Bravely Default's system where it was unique.
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2018 17:10:09 9,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Duffking - it feel a pretty similar to a lot of other games to me, with enemies having weaknesses and hitting them until they "break". The battle system was ok, but it didn't feel that different to any other JRPG to me.
  • richyroo 6 Dec 2018 17:29:23 283 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    The Wii U Smash Bros game was the first one I played and I loved it, even though I'm not a fan of fighting games normally. I hope this one doesn't have as much lag though, and some kind of way to play with friends against randomers online.

I thought Octopath featured some of the best turn based gameplay that I have ever played. There was so much depth and ways you could approach battle, yet the systems were so simple to learn.

One of my favourite games of the year. It was only the lack of an overarching and epic plot which let it down for me.
  • Duffking 6 Dec 2018 17:29:55 15,938 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well yeah, that's the genre. That's a bit like saying that any two FPS games are the same because you shoot things until they die. The difference is that I'm fairly sure the weakness/break mechanic hasn't be utilised that way before, with enemies essentially having that second health bar which prevents them from taking major damage until the first is broken. It's almost like giving enemies a halo-style shield system. The BP system where you can power up attacks by potentially losing a future turn or saving for future turns by not attacking is an evolution of the Brave system from Bravely Default.

Beyond that, yeah. It's a very much a traditional JRPG to a fault but that was rather the point of it in the first place, and what it was sold as.
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2018 17:43:58 9,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    @andytheadequate

I think I will. I remember I bought it on the Wii U and I was really uninspired when I bought it, thinking it would be same old smash which isnít great now Iím old and almost never do local MP.

But actually getting all the trophies and the game unlocks and the mini games and the fan service was a lot of fun. Even as a one player game it kept me going for a really long time.

I can understand people who say the central mechanics leave them unmoved, but I always found it quite good fun and if you can get local multiplayer games with likeminded friends itís a thing of wonder.

So yeah, I think Iíll pick it up. I almost certainly would have done at some quiet point in the release schedule anyway. Sounds like thereís a lot of decent single player content and thatís all I was after.
    Smash is great fun in multiplayer, even online. I find it one of those games that's even fun if you're a bit shit at it, which I think partly is due to the concept of it (losing isn't quite as binary when it's 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 v 1).
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2018 17:46:20 9,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Duffking But the nuances of the system are only relevant for the tougher boss fights, which I guess is the general issue with all JRPGs. The majority of fights just end up being a smash the attack button until you win.
  • GloatingSwine 6 Dec 2018 18:04:31 3,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didnít find that in Octopath at all.

Even normal areas have quite damaging fights where using the break system to shut down their turns is super useful.

You have to be super over levelled to get to the point you can mash through fights.

Itís one of my favourite battle systems.
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2018 18:10:42 9,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, by mashing attack I mean picking the attack that one of the enemies had a weakness to. Never really had an issue with any battle in the first 9 hours or so, apart from the boss fights. The boss fights require more strategy and it felt pretty tactical to be fair.

The writing was still cringy though.
  • richyroo 6 Dec 2018 19:29:51 283 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree the writing was a little cringy, it is what stops it being an all time classic for me.

Like GloatingSwine, it is also one of my favourite battle systems, especially as you get further into the game and have to think a bit more.
  • prettyvacant 6 Dec 2018 19:32:45 188 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sorry if it's already been posted but Diablo Switch is on sale 35 quid , 30 quid S.A store , that is all . =)
  • Singularity 6 Dec 2018 20:02:40 2,958 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @prettyvacant I was just going to say that! Iíve taken the plunge, despite having loads else on the go.
  • prettyvacant 6 Dec 2018 20:17:17 188 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Katamari Reroll to be released tomorrow as well I think .
  • richyroo 6 Dec 2018 20:32:56 283 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I downloaded Horizon Chase Turbo yesterday. It's a great little racing game similar to the old Top Gears from the SNES era. It even features the same composer and a stellar soundtrack.

If anyone else has it and wants to add me as a friend for the leaderboards then just PM me your friend code.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.