Nintendo Switch Page 1243

• drhickman1983 10 Mar 2019 21:01:34 5,860 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a ton of games I want to play on my watch list, but as I don't have the time it seems pointless getting anything. More games I want to play on the switch than anything else.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Mar 2019 22:40:38 19,865 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah there's heaps and heaps of stuff I'm interested in, and I'm getting through things slowly. So even if there is a current lull in new releases, I've still got plenty to play.
  • Ienjoysquid 10 Mar 2019 23:14:55 268 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have so little time for gaming. It's the only console I would ever have time to play.

Still die hard Splatoon fan. Currently playing playing Resi Revelations, LA Noire and Stardew Valley.

Realistically that'll prolly keep me going for another 12 months.
  • Kay 10 Mar 2019 23:43:18 19,997 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finally finished all the B-side levels in Celeste.

Now playing Undertale which seems a bit odd, to say the least. But definitely intriguing.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Mar 2019 00:33:44 26,456 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a go at a few demos, Daemon X Machina looks much better than I expected visually and it's not bad but I won't be buying it, so much better stuff.
    Yoshi is gorgeous and relaxing, I'll be picking it up at some point.
    I had a go at Tetris 99 too, only got to 40th so got my arse kicked :(
    Back to Xenoblade 2, about to pass the 100 hour barrier.
  • andytheadequate 11 Mar 2019 01:08:32 9,050 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't remember who it was who recommended Yoku Island Express, but thank you. Bought it on Saturday and really enjoyed it so far, I love both the exploration and the core pinball mechanics.
  • macmurphy 11 Mar 2019 06:42:53 3,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @andytheadequate

I think almost everyone. A few werenít keen but it was almost my GOTY. To anyone on the fence, buy it.
  • Phattso 11 Mar 2019 06:55:35 24,573 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    While I was glad to have played Yoku I think a lot of its annoyances have been swept under the carpet due to the novel genre mashup and generally gleeful presentation. Itís pinball. It has the pluses and minuses from that. Staggeringly linear too - and much too quick for the metroidvania aspects to do much of anything.

Credits rolled at 5hrs for me and time will tell if I bother mopping up the remaining content.

But for sure itís something very novel and very new and I did grin at a lot of the setups. Worth a play, but I think it could only be GotY for a handful of people somehow starved of all the other amazing games out there. :)
  • Mola_Ram 11 Mar 2019 07:06:47 19,865 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought it was lovely. It's one of the few games that I don't really have anything negative to say about it. The only thing I can say is that I wanted more, but that's not really a criticism - hell, it's a really nice change from all the games that wear out their welcome a dozen hours before they actually finish.

I guess if you really hate pinball or something, you wouldn't get on with it. I'm personally not that big on irl pinball (and I'm rubbish at it), but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the game in the slightest.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 07:07:31 11-03-2019
  • Murbs 11 Mar 2019 07:24:08 24,207 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yoku was a super little game, but up against the likes of Dead Cells, ITB, and Celeste it's at best the fourth best eshop game of last year.
  • macmurphy 11 Mar 2019 07:34:10 3,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think with Yoku, even though it was brief I absolutely loved it. I loved the aesthetic, the music and the gameplay.

The quality was through the roof. As I get older I tend to enjoy these games that are short and sweet (and dare I say, quite easy?). The Steamworld games are another good example. I prefer that to a more repetitive roguelike such as Dead Cells which I didnít get on with. I prefer something like Yoku with a sense of progression. Horses for courses and all that.

I thought Smash was my GOTY in the end, but Yoku was a close second. Still got ITB to play though.

Edited by macmurphy at 07:35:02 11-03-2019
  • monkman76 11 Mar 2019 07:59:57 14,656 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't have any specific criticisms of Yoku - there were no low lows - but the highs just weren't that high for me. It was nice, and the pinball aspect was fun, but nothing more than that for me.
  • Phattso 11 Mar 2019 08:10:51 24,573 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It was about to outstay itís welcome at five hours for me. I did like it, and it was absolutely the most gleeful thing Iíve played in a while, but it was so brief thereís barely any time to appreciate the world. Plus I t was so easy that when it boiled down to the usual ďyay, you figured it out... now do the same thing twice moreĒ trappings it rather undersold itís own imaginative potential.

But, again, absolutely worth playing.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Mar 2019 08:14:13 5,353 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I liked Yoku as it was joyful, had fun mechanics and didn't outstay its welcome at all. I'm not big on games that become a repetitive slog or are overly long for the sake of saying they have x hours of 'content'. I have 25 or so games in my Switch wishlist atm. Though it's true that the first half of the year looks fairly quiet in terms of tentpole games.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 08:16:53 11-03-2019
  • Frogofdoom 11 Mar 2019 08:21:47 12,901 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I much preferred Yoku to Celeste which I thought was shit. Dead cells was my favourite of the above games though.
  • Phattso 11 Mar 2019 08:22:14 24,573 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A Yoku thatís 15 hours long rather than 5 might be able to properly thread those metroidvania skills through an otherwise underused world. Iíd play the shit out of that. As it was it might as well have been a mission select screen!

Wonder if theyíll do a sequel?
  • rice_sandwich 11 Mar 2019 08:27:19 5,353 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The one thing I hate about metroidvania is backtracking. It was a big problem in the Shantae game that I played - and it had a couple of very frustrating tiny collapsing platform sections, though perhaps it's more of a platform game.
  • Phattso 11 Mar 2019 08:28:45 24,573 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yoku was replete with backtracking though! At least one of the five hours was that. :-D
  • Frogofdoom 11 Mar 2019 08:30:21 12,901 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's an art to make the backtracking relevant, it has to have a good payoff or it's just not respecting your time. I thought hollow knight did a terrible job with it and it put me off the game where as in legacy of Kain it never bothered me as it was purposeful.
  • Youthist 11 Mar 2019 08:32:26 13,750 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Again with the not respecting your time
  • Frogofdoom 11 Mar 2019 08:34:07 12,901 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry do you have a point or are you just being a cunt as usual?
  • Youthist 11 Mar 2019 08:44:06 13,750 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Perma-ban plz
  • Youthist 11 Mar 2019 08:45:19 13,750 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Sorry do you have a point or are you just being a cunt as usual?
    My point is accusing video games of not respecting peopleís time is absurd.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Mar 2019 08:49:48 12,901 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No it's not, it you are doing something for fun it should be more enjoyable than sitting in traffic.
  • Youthist 11 Mar 2019 08:52:02 13,750 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So - any game you donít enjoy playing for whatever reason can have the same comment targeted to it then by that definition ?
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Mar 2019 08:56:31 6,451 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    any sort of filler (such as Anthems mid story jaunt to unlock the tombs) is disrespecting peoples time.

Any amount of back tracking where the game is exactly the same one way as it is the other (i am looking at you FF12) is bad.

Axiom Verge is a particularly bad example of a game wasting the time of its player.

Yes, if you are enjoying yourself it is technically not a waste of time, but time is a limit recourse, if you have to replay sections of a game in order to increase its length, that isn't good.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Mar 2019 08:57:22 12,901 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No I would just describe them as being bad games. You can have a game that is good but the experience is spoiled for you by needless backtracking in order to provide the game out. Yoku was guilty of it at times but not enough to wreck the experience.
  • macmurphy 11 Mar 2019 08:57:34 3,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    So - any game you donít enjoy playing for whatever reason can have the same comment targeted to it then by that definition ?
    It's always going to be subjective, but there are some games that are arguably more prone to that criticism than others.

Games that enforce a lot of repetitive actions can easily be described this way. It might be poor design or purposefully trying to pad out a meagre gaming experience.

I've certainly given up on games that I thought were too grindy and repetitive. I think the criticism that games don't respect your time can be made, it's just always going to be a very subjective opinion.

Edited by macmurphy at 08:59:13 11-03-2019
  • Phattso 11 Mar 2019 08:59:16 24,573 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hollow Knight is a game I could navigate from any point to any point from memory alone. You could drop me anywhere in Yoku and Iíd have NFI where I was. Iím sure thereís a middle ground between the dozens of hours of HK and the fifteen minutes of Yoku. Iíd like to see Ďem take a crack at it.

As for not respecting my time... HK instead presumed I had an attention span longer than a gnat, and trusted me to figure shit out. Not to all tastes for sure, but hardly time wasting.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Mar 2019 09:07:12 5,353 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Achievements and trophies can also pad out games to an unhealthy extent. Some people love them but I don't count myself amongst them. Of course there are good ones that are fun or challenging and bad ones which are cynically designed to keep the player engaged with the platform or to encourage spending (gambling) on loot boxes.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.