Following Nintendo Switch Page 1370

  • The_Goon 7 Oct 2019 13:10:37 1,396 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can we get a Skate game whilst we're at it? I loved those games on my 360 - surely a Switch could handle them?
  • macmurphy 7 Oct 2019 13:17:28 3,987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen

    I would say I did this a lot and thought it was shit. As soon as you beat him though you get a bit of kit which lets you skip him next time. And then the runs get longer, more varied and more enjoyable.

    I only went back to it to give it one last chance and lately Iíve been hooked and I really rate the game now. Itís worth persevering.
  • Malek86 7 Oct 2019 13:21:08 8,926 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They showed Skater XL during one of the recent Directs. Not sure how it will compare to the EA series (my experience with skating games ended years ago with one of the earliest Tony Hawks on the 360).

    Until then, I'll just bust out the old Pro Skater 2 when I need a quick fix.
  • Kay 7 Oct 2019 16:31:29 20,205 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Still think we should see some kind of more arcade racer eventually. I know they have fallen by the wayside, but the Xbox has Forza Horizon and the PS4 can somewhat get a surrogate in Need for Speed.
    I was actually wondering if there was a chance of Forza Horizon 1 ever coming to the Switch - it would be a great fit (analogue triggers aside), and maybe a good way for MS to get a few extra fans before the proper new entry comes out? Still unlikely, but you never know.
  • THFourteen 7 Oct 2019 16:33:07 53,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My mclassic adaptor is on itís way from HK. Hope it gets through customs without being a pain in the ass.
  • Addy__ 7 Oct 2019 16:52:58 1,609 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:
    I'll continue to gush about Yooka. The overworld itself is great fun. Some clever hidden stuff and variations to chapters meaning a revisit is a totally different playthrough. Some interesting potions have been unlocked so far, ranging from collectable bonuses to mods that bump up the difficulty.
    I'm really tempted to grab it as all the reviews keep name checking Donkey Kong Country in comparison.

    Do you have it early as a review copy or did you just get lucky with an early delivery?
    Yeah it definitely plays like a dkc game. Tis very very good. Let's go with an early review copy as well ;)
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Oct 2019 17:02:26 7,936 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:
    I'll continue to gush about Yooka. The overworld itself is great fun. Some clever hidden stuff and variations to chapters meaning a revisit is a totally different playthrough. Some interesting potions have been unlocked so far, ranging from collectable bonuses to mods that bump up the difficulty.
    I'm really tempted to grab it as all the reviews keep name checking Donkey Kong Country in comparison.

    Do you have it early as a review copy or did you just get lucky with an early delivery?
    Yeah it definitely plays like a dkc game. Tis very very good. Let's go with an early review copy as well ;)
    ...

    Argghhhh, thats right m'hearty. A review copy under the X.
  • Addy__ 7 Oct 2019 17:08:07 1,609 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:
    I'll continue to gush about Yooka. The overworld itself is great fun. Some clever hidden stuff and variations to chapters meaning a revisit is a totally different playthrough. Some interesting potions have been unlocked so far, ranging from collectable bonuses to mods that bump up the difficulty.
    I'm really tempted to grab it as all the reviews keep name checking Donkey Kong Country in comparison.

    Do you have it early as a review copy or did you just get lucky with an early delivery?
    Yeah it definitely plays like a dkc game. Tis very very good. Let's go with an early review copy as well ;)
    ...

    Argghhhh, thats right m'hearty. A review copy under the X.
    Lmao
  • THFourteen 7 Oct 2019 17:16:23 53,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @macmurphy

    Yep defo enjoying it. Itís nice to play for 15 minutes here and there Altho last night that quickly turned into 1hr...
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Oct 2019 17:20:14 7,936 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Balders gate 1 & 2 Enhanced edition... for the low low price of £40...

    fuck right off!
  • Tomo 7 Oct 2019 19:17:44 16,778 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Brilliant. Isn't it like a fiver on the Apple Store?
  • HairyArse 7 Oct 2019 19:40:46 1,313 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How isnít Life Is Strange on switch yet?
  • Malek86 7 Oct 2019 21:08:24 8,926 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    How isnít Life Is Strange on switch yet?
    Life is strange.
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Oct 2019 21:08:49 6,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Because the Switch has quality control. :o
  • macmurphy 7 Oct 2019 21:08:53 3,987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BOOM BOOM!
  • macmurphy 7 Oct 2019 21:09:35 3,987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Because the Switch has quality control. :o
    Fuckís sake Dave. Canít believe you fucked up Basil.
  • rice_sandwich 8 Oct 2019 07:40:33 5,640 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My wife is away on a trip at the moment, so what did I do? Stay up until 1am playing video games of course! Then fell asleep agains after turning off the alarm this morning and had to super rush for the train. A slippery slope, I wonder where it ends?

    Anyway, said reason is that it turns out that Celeste is the perfect game for revealing any problems with joycons. I must have died 50+ times on a multi room section. Managed it without too much hassle once I switched to the pro controller.

    Despite being quite difficult I'm very impressed by Celeste's ability to teach you how to improve and learn new moves. Rooms that look impossible at first glance can be passed. I feel as if I'm teaching myself how to play the game and that the satisfaction of doing so is the main joy of the game.

    As for Hollow Knight, I think it was a mistake. Yes, very lovely but I'm just not a fan of long boss battles. Failure feels frustrating rather than rewarding. I knew all this before buying it, mind.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Oct 2019 07:58:49 14,720 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For me Hollow Knight only gets going after you beat Hornet the first time. From then on the game opens out and lets you explore much more. You also have access to multiple bosses, so you can leave the harder ones until later.
  • rice_sandwich 8 Oct 2019 08:25:17 5,640 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

    I see. I can't beat the False Knight. I'll give it a couple more tries then it's uninstall time
  • Red_Bool 8 Oct 2019 09:00:44 1,862 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @PazJohnMitch

    I see. I can't beat the False Knight. I'll give it a couple more tries then it's uninstall time
    Persevere! It's totally worth it. I put more than 70 hours into it.
  • rice_sandwich 8 Oct 2019 09:09:05 5,640 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @PazJohnMitch

    I see. I can't beat the False Knight. I'll give it a couple more tries then it's uninstall time
    Persevere! It's totally worth it. I put more than 70 hours into it.
    Ok, I'll give it half a dozen more goes when I get home. If I can't beat it after that many tries then that's that.
  • The_Goon 8 Oct 2019 09:17:14 1,396 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got bored with Hollow Knight. Give me Guacamelee over it any day.
  • Malek86 8 Oct 2019 09:24:50 8,926 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do you like Dark Souls? If so, stick with Hollow Knight. If not, you might as well drop it now because it's effectively aimed at the same type of audience, and it won't get any different later on.

    Edited by Malek86 at 09:25:07 08-10-2019
  • rice_sandwich 8 Oct 2019 09:32:47 5,640 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86

    Dark Souls is the perfect example of almost everything I hate in video games rolled into one. I do not enjoy spending time hitting my head against huge roadblocks over and over again. I think it's because boss battles usually involve a repetitive choreography of moves that have to be repeated with little room for error. I just don't find it fun.
  • monkman76 8 Oct 2019 09:36:17 15,117 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hate boss battles but I love Dark Souls and Hollow Knight. So there must be more to both.
  • Malek86 8 Oct 2019 09:53:42 8,926 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @rice_sandwich you said that you knew what you were getting into... didn't you see all the Souls comparisons before buying it? :-)
  • rice_sandwich 8 Oct 2019 10:07:30 5,640 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86

    No, I didn't hear about that aspect. To be fair I repeatedly put off buying HK due to concerns about its level of difficulty. I wonder what my reluctance to persevere in the face of great adversity (at least in video game terms) means? Am I just lazy, not very good at video games or is mastering that sort of problem not what I'm looking for?

    While video game challenge is meaningless in terms of 'real life' achievement, it must be doing something for me if I've been pursuing it for 30 odd years. Hmmm...
  • Duffking 8 Oct 2019 10:14:44 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Did anyone grab Dragon Quest? I'm playing through with Super Strong monsters on as the demo was really easy. It's... hard. Just got past the second boss and it's the weird loop of grinding being hard because the monsters are hard and the monsters being hard unless you grind a bit.

    It's not toooo bad so far though, just that the game's combat is utterly braindead unless you turn this on. Need to keep lots of healing items spare though.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Oct 2019 10:18:14 21,494 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm playing it, with that setting enabled also. I'd say I'm about 2/3 through the game at the moment.

    I agree that it gets pretty rough, particularly in the boss fights. But it is much, much easier if you use buffs and debuffs.
  • Derblington 8 Oct 2019 10:41:40 31,987 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @Malek86

    No, I didn't hear about that aspect. To be fair I repeatedly put off buying HK due to concerns about its level of difficulty. I wonder what my reluctance to persevere in the face of great adversity (at least in video game terms) means? Am I just lazy, not very good at video games or is mastering that sort of problem not what I'm looking for?

    While video game challenge is meaningless in terms of 'real life' achievement, it must be doing something for me if I've been pursuing it for 30 odd years. Hmmm...
    I go through phases. Most of the time I'm not looking for that kind of challenge - I play games for the design and the narrative and the art. I'm not particularly competitive but I like some MP shooters too.

    But every now and again I just get an itch for punishment and I really enjoy banging my head against a Soulslike wall. Can totally understand why you wouldn't be after that.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.