Nintendo Switch Page 1544

• PazJohnMitch 19 Feb 2021 14:59:45 16,751 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Of course I want more games. I just never expected Nintendo to deliver more.
  • Derblington 19 Feb 2021 15:06:18 34,538 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I doubt anyone wouldn't like more. It's a second console for me (because as much as I enjoy the 1st party they will never cover the breadth of stuff I want to play) and I never expected Nintendo to be rolling out all the major titles yearly. There's been at least a couple of games per year that I do have interest in, even if some are ports (with additional content). This year it's Mario 3D World, Mario Golf, and Skyward Sword so far. That's not bad considering we're in Feb, with more events and Directs planned throughout the year.

But when they release a thing that's pretty captivating for specific audiences - younger kids, families, and nerds that like toys - "lol, barely a game" isn't really valid criticism. There's a fuck ton of R&D that would be needed for Home Circuit. It's a different game, yeah, but it's a game. It's not something I have any interest in either but it exists. Same with Labo, not for me but cool all the same.

Edited by Derblington at 15:08:55 19-02-2021
  • DakeyrasUK 19 Feb 2021 15:07:17 4,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Struggle to believe anyone who likes nintendo games is happy
    Last year they released animal crossing which has sold like no other game? The attach rate is huge. I put 200hrs into that game before eventually moving onto other games.

The switch got plenty of use by me. Though if it was my sole console I probably would have been left wanting - that or onto 600hrs on animal crossing by now.

I also put 70hrs I to xenoblade, a fair bit of time into mario 3d all stars. Yet to start hyrule warriors and havent yet got Luigi's mansion or paper mario.

These are all games "nintendo fans" are very much happy to play. So that is 6 (8 if including triple pack) games all released from xmas period 19 to xmas 20.

Yet I'm still one of the people who complained about the direct the other day. But things arent all that bad for me as I have game pass and ps5 to juggle my time with.
  • mikew1985 19 Feb 2021 15:30:59 15,299 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I doubt anyone wouldn't like more. It's a second console for me (because as much as I enjoy the 1st party they will never cover the breadth of stuff I want to play) and I never expected Nintendo to be rolling out all the major titles yearly. There's been at least a couple of games per year that I do have interest in, even if some are ports (with additional content). This year it's Mario 3D World, Mario Golf, and Skyward Sword so far. That's not bad considering we're in Feb, with more events and Directs planned throughout the year.

But when they release a thing that's pretty captivating for specific audiences - younger kids, families, and nerds that like toys - "lol, barely a game" isn't really valid criticism. There's a fuck ton of R&D that would be needed for Home Circuit. It's a different game, yeah, but it's a game. It's not something I have any interest in either but it exists. Same with Labo, not for me but cool all the same.
    It's a cool concept but it's hardly taken significant development resources and wasn't it done by a third party studio anyway?

...Yep, some crowd in Upstate New York. It's a valid criticism to say "barely a game" because it's a toy and isn't realistically the reason that another Nintendo game didn't come out.

I think this direct was frustrating after the last year being fairly light and now looking like nothing other than 3D world as a major first party title for some time.
  • mikew1985 19 Feb 2021 15:33:29 15,299 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    Struggle to believe anyone who likes nintendo games is happy
    Last year they released animal crossing which has sold like no other game? The attach rate is huge. I put 200hrs into that game before eventually moving onto other games.

The switch got plenty of use by me. Though if it was my sole console I probably would have been left wanting - that or onto 600hrs on animal crossing by now.

I also put 70hrs I to xenoblade, a fair bit of time into mario 3d all stars. Yet to start hyrule warriors and havent yet got Luigi's mansion or paper mario.

These are all games "nintendo fans" are very much happy to play. So that is 6 (8 if including triple pack) games all released from xmas period 19 to xmas 20.

Yet I'm still one of the people who complained about the direct the other day. But things arent all that bad for me as I have game pass and ps5 to juggle my time with.
    I'm in a very similar boat except I don't have any love for AC, conversely I really enjoyed Paper Mario and I nailed 3D all stars and now 3D world. I have game pass and all that too.

Look I just want Mario Odyssey 2 ok :_(
  • ghearoid 19 Feb 2021 15:38:40 3,705 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I like Nintendo games and I'm happy with the Switch. I put 1,000+ hours into Animal Crossing, it depends on what you like. I bought my Switch primarily for Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, don't give a fuck about Metroid or bloody F Zero.

Besides, New Pokťmon Snap is out in April, buy that you sour bastards. :)
  • nickthegun 19 Feb 2021 15:40:38 85,079 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The mitigation is that, for once, third parties are propping the software library up. First party releases have been more pathetic than usual but I have played quite a lot of games from other studios, so it hasn't become the paperweight it easily could have.
  • mikew1985 19 Feb 2021 15:51:17 15,299 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yea I agree somewhat. Thankfully it is just a second console for me but Hades was the reason the console got any use at all from the end of September through to November. It lay dormant again from then until 3D world and generally I'm fine with that.

I guess what feels a little different with this years line up is that there isn't anything in the pipeline, port or otherwise that tickles my fancy. I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 games between now and the end of the year which will be of interest.
  • Kay 19 Feb 2021 16:15:50 20,991 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, for all the talk about the amount of first-party games released, the truth is that aside from the major Mario and Zelda games I have very little interest in any of them. But the Switch has still been by far my most played console of the last few years, because it also has the likes of Hollow Knight, Into the Breach, Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, and pretty much every other recent indie game of note. So the relative lack of first-party games is nowhere near the issue it was with their other consoles.
  • Rogueywon 19 Feb 2021 17:01:51 11,038 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My Switch has justified its purchase price mostly on the basis of some of the more niche, but non-indie, exclusives. I put way more hours than I care to think of into Fire Emblem: Three Houses and another big chunk into Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive edition. Also had a good time with the Rabbids Kingdom Battle game.

Nintendo's marquee offerings don't really do much for me - I dislike Zelda and find Mario a bit meh and I'd rather play the indies on PC. But those RPGs have been enough for me that the Switch has felt like a decent secondary console.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Feb 2021 18:14:20 6,866 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Having moved in with my girlfriend this summer, I've had access to an Xbox series X with Gamepass and a PS4 again, but the Switch has remained my primary console this whole time. Animal Crossing has definitely helped, but I do prefer the indie games on my Switch. I bought Wargroove recently even though it was available on Gamepass, just so I could play it in bed. I stopped a playthrough of Carto on Gamepass too, so I could play on Switch.

I'm even tempted to double dip on Streets of Rage 4, even though I've beaten that countless times on Xbox. It's completely irrational and illogical. It's not like I need to fight for the TV at the moment. I think I just prefer the some games on the small screen. Like curling up with a book or something.
  • el_pollo_diablo 19 Feb 2021 20:08:27 3,092 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That Direct was pretty empty but clearly first party Nintendo studios have their eyes now on whatever hardware is coming after the Switch.
  • erniewhatbert 19 Feb 2021 20:08:54 3,092 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Can I just pipe up to say how good the Hori Switch Pad Pro is. Iíll never got back to joy-con again when playing handheld.
  • mikew1985 19 Feb 2021 20:22:05 15,299 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    That Direct was pretty empty but clearly first party Nintendo studios have their eyes now on whatever hardware is coming after the Switch.
    I would agree that most first party titles are probably being optimised for new hardware but I've no doubt that Nintendo are absolutely not going to break compatibility with the current switch. It would be madness for them to do that.
  • Kay 19 Feb 2021 20:42:22 20,991 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It'll most likely be the same as what they did with the DS and 3DS - an incremental upgrade with a bit of extra power to help with more intensive games. A proper Switch successor is probably still a good while away.
  • THFourteen 20 Feb 2021 06:48:58 53,952 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Diablo 2 is coming to Switch this year at least.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Feb 2021 09:08:29 16,751 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Diablo 2 is coming to Switch this year at least.
    Is that a more interesting game to play than 3?
  • monkman76 20 Feb 2021 09:55:15 18,034 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It couldn't be less interesting, so I'll go for yes.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2021 10:14:48 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You hit things, then use the shiny loot you get from that to hit more things more better.

I don't know what's meant by "interesting". Do you want more plot? Complex characters? Branching quest lines or something? It's fine if you do want those things, but the Diablo series isn't going to give it to you.
  • askew 20 Feb 2021 10:21:11 22,837 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When is Tony Hawks coming out? 🥺
  • ghearoid 20 Feb 2021 11:29:22 3,705 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Tony Hawk is gay????!!

;)
  • SnackPlissken 20 Feb 2021 11:30:28 2,759 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Look I'm not up at night about any of this I just think the number of apologists in here is strange. Derbs I get that you understand the development cycle in greater detail than I but I struggle to believe you or indeed anyone who likes Nintendo games is happy with recent output.

For the record the first 2.5 years I was really rather happy with.
    Apologist? Haha. Literally just said there are plenty of games announced on the switch that perhaps arenít what you guys are into.

And if I was sad enough Iíd come back here when Skyward Sword is released and read all the comments about how amazing it is.

Edited by SnackPlissken at 11:31:14 20-02-2021
  • ZuluHero 20 Feb 2021 11:45:47 9,756 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    askew wrote:
    Tony Hawk is gay????!!

;)
    Always seems really happy to me?
  • monkman76 20 Feb 2021 12:37:21 18,034 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    You hit things, then use the shiny loot you get from that to hit more things more better.

I don't know what's meant by "interesting". Do you want more plot? Complex characters? Branching quest lines or something? It's fine if you do want those things, but the Diablo series isn't going to give it to you.
    It's one of the most boring games I've ever played. It's certainly the most boring well regarded game I've ever played. There has to be some sort of Stockholm Syndrome thing going on with it.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Feb 2021 12:50:42 16,751 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Diablo 3 felt like a game you could write a relatively simple piece of code to play for you. There was not much player interaction beyond:
    Click on enemy
    Click on skill once timer runs out
    Click on loot to collect
    Select loot with highest stats (and often price tag) to wear.

There did not seem to be any tactics to understand, strategies to master or any real skill at all. Or if there was they were either:
    So simple I did them without realising
    Completely unnecessary as I played through the campaign without any need to use them in its highest available difficulty.

There is the argument that the first 90 hours is a tutorial but that is far to long for a tutorial. 90 minutes is too long for a tutorial. Hell 90s is often too long!

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 12:51:43 20-02-2021
  • Malek86 20 Feb 2021 12:52:41 11,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Even though Diablo 2 is more well regarded than 3, it's actually much worse once you hit the post-game content. There was no random generated Grifts or bounties or anything, you were literally always running the final act over and over again for that 1% chance of getting better loot than what you had.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:53:00 20-02-2021
  • Kay 20 Feb 2021 14:27:38 20,991 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gave Capcom Arcade Stadium a try, as both 1943 and Ghosts n' Goblins are both free. As much as I like the idea of the collection, the frame stutters are pretty jarring tbh. Plus bizarrely there's no option to scale to full screen whilst keeping the aspect ratio. Hopefully these are things that can be patched out.
  • ChiefGB 20 Feb 2021 18:26:52 13,415 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Currently picked luigis mansion back up, right at the last two bosses, this is very frustrating. The controls arenít quite good enough when Under this kind of pressure, in game and the spotty ignoring ďaĒ button presses due to the wireless joycons. I hope this is something that is sorted in any hardware revision as in general they just arenít tight enough for precise stuff
    One down but this is spoiling an otherwise great romp 😖

Finished now.

/puts dummy back in

Edited by ChiefGB at 19:02:21 20-02-2021
  • askew 20 Feb 2021 19:10:41 22,837 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Haha - I remember that fight. Well done ;)
  • ChiefGB 20 Feb 2021 19:17:56 13,415 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whilst Iím having a bit of a sesh, Iíve finally booted up the first bravely default 2 demo. Should have got to it before now really, looks absolutely lovely. This has got gold written all over it I reckon.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.