Nintendo Switch Page 1545

• BigOrkWaaagh 20 Feb 2021 19:18:56 10,233 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spent a little bit of time with the lad today building the VR kit. Blaster took frigging ages but Labo never ceases to amaze me with the amazing contraptions you can build with just bits of cardboard. It's pump action and everything! I only had a quick go because that's all I was allowed (!) but it seems to work pretty well, I was expecting a bit of a disaster to be honest and although it's a bit pixelly it doesn't really seem any worse than PS VR. You get an impressive amount of miningames with just the visor too, although they really are just 5 minute piss about it's more than I was expecting. We've got the whole set so still got more to build, I'm not really expecting any of it to be better than what we've already built but we'll see how it goes.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2021 20:49:33 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Diablo 3 felt like a game you could write a relatively simple piece of code to play for you. There was not much player interaction beyond:
    Click on enemy
    Click on skill once timer runs out
    Click on loot to collect
    Select loot with highest stats (and often price tag) to wear.

There did not seem to be any tactics to understand, strategies to master or any real skill at all. Or if there was they were either:
    So simple I did them without realising
    Completely unnecessary as I played through the campaign without any need to use them in its highest available difficulty.

There is the argument that the first 90 hours is a tutorial but that is far to long for a tutorial. 90 minutes is too long for a tutorial. Hell 90s is often too long!
    I wouldn't say that it's a "tutorial", just that the real meat of the game comes after you reach level 70 and have finished the main story. It's about building the best character you can, pushing further and further, and yes it gets really fucking hard.

And it's about trying out fun new build ideas. I had one where I was running around at superspeed as a giant exploding chicken, another one where I had a little army of giant dogs and other animals, and another one where I didn't do any damage at all but could hold most enemies basically indefinitely (this was a MP support build). There's all sorts of stuff you can try.

It really shouldn't take 90 hours to get to 70 though. I don't know who told you that. By yourself it shouldn't be any longer than 15-20. Hell, if you have someone to help you, you can get to 70 in 30 minutes tops.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 21:23:48 20-02-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Feb 2021 21:40:56 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I couldnít remember how long it took. Was probably about 60 hours solo. I reached the prestige level a few hours before finishing the story.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2021 21:46:44 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dunno, to me 60 hours is the length of a sizeable JRPG, and the D3 story just ain't that long. Though I guess for me it's been ages since I did the story for the first time (it's mostly adventure mode after that), so maybe I don't remember how long it was.
  • Steifybobbins 20 Feb 2021 22:41:12 772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't understand all of the talk about the switch software library. I was as disappointed as the next person with the direct in a sense that there were no real big surprises but there were some good games across a range of genre's. I own nothing but a switch and even if there were no surprises before we see in 2022 there would still be enough to see me through with staples like Rocket League and Fifa to sit alongside some indie game or Nintendo release. Previous Nintendo consoles have required a second system for me to fill the gaps but there are more good games on Switch than I could ever play. For the first time ever I didn't even glance at the new consoles, I just wouldn't have time. Horses for courses obviously, but to claim the Switch doesn't have enough games is just daft. Not enough games for You doesn't mean not enough games full stop. I actually enjoy picking up more interesting smaller experiences as big budget games get more bloated and repetitive like most Ubisoft games.

The Direct was pretty shit though if like me you were hoping for Zelda 35th stuff and maybe Metroid etc. Like many, despite loving Splatoon that was not the sequel I wanted either.
  • Syrette 20 Feb 2021 22:50:00 51,045 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You don't understand why people might have a different opinion to you?
  • YYDeckard 20 Feb 2021 22:52:50 229 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah We like different opinions here but actual sales figures aren't opinions so the masses think the software library is more than enough obviously.....
  • Steifybobbins 20 Feb 2021 22:56:14 772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    You don't understand why people might have a different opinion to you?
    Not at all. But wether something has a lot of software or not is a factual argument. I said in my post not enough games for You doesn't mean not enough games. I'm not arguing that there may not be enough games for some folks but many of those people are flat out suggesting there aren't enough games full stop which is not the case.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2021 23:17:42 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, I guess when someone says "x doesn't have enough games", the thing being implied is "x doesn't have enough games that appeal to me".

Which is not an opinion I share - there's ever so much I like on the system, and I haven't even got through a tiny fraction of it - but it is an opinion. I don't think anyone could ever say that the Switch doesn't have a lot of games in an objective sense, because what would be the point of that.
  • Steifybobbins 20 Feb 2021 23:31:55 772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Speaking of good games available on Switch, does anyone have any tips for Undermine? The big sand worm thing keeps taking me out....
  • Saul_Iscariot 20 Feb 2021 23:36:04 4,157 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buy it flowers and chocolates, but donít put out until the fourth date.
  • Zippity-zap 21 Feb 2021 03:16:59 610 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Steifybobbins wrote:
    Speaking of good games available on Switch, does anyone have any tips for Undermine? The big sand worm thing keeps taking me out....
    Hit it in the futhermucking tail!
  • Zippity-zap 21 Feb 2021 03:31:14 610 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iíve been holding off on recommending something that I think is absolutely fucking great.

Synthetik Ultimate

Now, when this first released a while back, it was a disaster. The game crashed 99% of the time upon defeating the second boss, and 100% of the time on the level directly after. It was straight up broken. However, it has recently been patched, and crashes have been noticeably reduced. Iíve had very few since the patch.

ďBut...but...what type of game is it?Ē I hear you whine, grotesquely. How dare you rush me!

Well, itís the best top-down tactical shooter Iíve ever played. Itís lightning in a bottle, with an awesome array of weaponry and randomised combat encounters. Superbly tactile and visceral, with high replay value. And it feels great in handheld mode. Also, itís cheap. I can see it becoming a little cult classic on switch (it already enjoys that status on pc), especially if the two-man development team continues to patch and polish it. In a word, whoah.
  • tadejpogacar 21 Feb 2021 08:01:29 498 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Nice - will check that out. Literally never heard of this game - looks cool as hell.

Edited by tadejpogacar at 08:05:22 21-02-2021
  • dfunked09 21 Feb 2021 09:47:09 1,613 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Steam reviews are pretty incredible... I might have to give it a go too.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Feb 2021 09:48:39 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone played Forager? 40% off at present.
  • dfunked09 21 Feb 2021 09:49:29 1,613 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Am I right in thinking the switch itself is fine to be charged with any old charger that does PD, you just need to be careful with the dock?

Moved house and can't find the charger for the dock anywhere :(
  • addybV3 21 Feb 2021 10:15:32 104 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @PazJohnMitch

Yes. It's very good. This was before the big update it had, so i guess it's even better now.
  • THFourteen 21 Feb 2021 10:30:05 53,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @dfunked09

Yeah i think its fine, i've charged mine with all sorts.
  • addybV3 21 Feb 2021 10:55:59 104 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Zippity-zap

That does look sweet.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Feb 2021 10:58:46 10,233 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @dfunked09

Yeah i think its fine, i've charged mine with all sorts.
    Me too
  • damagedinc 21 Feb 2021 14:47:27 3,017 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone played rollercoaster tycoon 3 ultimate on the switch..really fancy it just wondered if it ports well
  • Pipedream 21 Feb 2021 15:47:26 606 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @damagedinc great port, no performance issues. Controls are tricky at first, like most of these games on consoles, but are fine once you get used to them
  • damagedinc 21 Feb 2021 19:10:53 3,017 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Pipedream

Ah brilliant might pick it up then.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Feb 2021 20:08:50 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @addybV3

Thanks. Bought it and spent most of this afternoon playing it.
  • addybV3 22 Feb 2021 16:10:45 104 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Zippity-zap wrote:
    Iíve been holding off on recommending something that I think is absolutely fucking great.

Synthetik Ultimate

Now, when this first released a while back, it was a disaster. The game crashed 99% of the time upon defeating the second boss, and 100% of the time on the level directly after. It was straight up broken. However, it has recently been patched, and crashes have been noticeably reduced. Iíve had very few since the patch.

ďBut...but...what type of game is it?Ē I hear you whine, grotesquely. How dare you rush me!

Well, itís the best top-down tactical shooter Iíve ever played. Itís lightning in a bottle, with an awesome array of weaponry and randomised combat encounters. Superbly tactile and visceral, with high replay value. And it feels great in handheld mode. Also, itís cheap. I can see it becoming a little cult classic on switch (it already enjoys that status on pc), especially if the two-man development team continues to patch and polish it. In a word, whoah.
    I fucking hate you. In a nice way. Bought this on pc and already sunk 10 hours in.
  • el_pollo_diablo 22 Feb 2021 22:51:07 3,092 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My Switch has started to complain that itís overheating, and is switching itself off. Havenít moved it. Itís out in the open, next to the tv. Vents donít seem to be blocked with dust, although have just given them a blast of compressed air.

Anyone else had this?
  • Pedrolot 22 Feb 2021 22:56:07 1,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Pedrolot 22 Feb 2021 22:56:07 1,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Never had this although there is a fan inside the unit. Can you hear it ticking over?

Edited by Pedrolot at 22:56:16 22-02-2021
  • Zippity-zap 23 Feb 2021 05:33:47 610 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @addybV3 Itís a little ripper, isnít it?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.