Following Nintendo Switch Page 4

• Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 20:02:28 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    Interesting to see if nintendo go for a super powered machine.
    Not a chance.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 20:03:11
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    addyb wrote:
    Off topic but what happened to LLbro?
    GIed a couple of months back.
    Gled?
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Mar 2015 20:07:20 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    addyb wrote:
    Gled?
    Global Ignored.
    i.e. Banned.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 20:12:55
    So, fun times ahead. It'll be interesting to see how they pull together a new hardware platform, a unified account system and still manage to produce good quality core games whilst also producing gateway titles for other platforms. I realised a while ago that I'm not going to stop liking core Nintendo franchises and will accept whatever they come up with. A mixed blessing and curse.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2015 20:14:01
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    addyb wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    addyb wrote:
    Gled?
    Global Ignored.
    i.e. Banned.

Ahhh I see.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2015 11:48:00
    I'd much rather own something outright, than subscribe to it. At least when gaming is concerned. I'm hoping the Wii U's virtual console is fleshed out thoroughly before it's officially replaced. I've been gathering plenty of retro goodness and it would be amazing to have a single console in which to play them all on. Having so many controller options helps, too.
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Mar 2015 11:58:01 32,585 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been completely converted through Spotify/Netflix/Marvel Unlimited and I'm all for cheap monthly subscriptions to play games. Pretty much everything I play I swap or sell after anyway, so I don't really care about keeping a collection. Some games sure, I want to have physical copies of if they're my favourites or whatever, but I'd happily stream/subscribe for 99% of games.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2015 12:08:42
    aye the netflix for games is pretty much inevitable at this point. nintendo have done a lot of the groundwork for this with the virtual console - they just need an android app that runs the emulators, and a tv box for the same. they charge ~6.99/month for access to their entire VC library, and there you have it.

what's interesting to me is how far forward they could go. the thing with games is that we're so tied to hardware. you could maybe get N64 emulation happening, but anything later than that is going to need a monster CPU or dedicated chips. early days, but i predict the NX system will have basically a N64, GC, Wii and Wii-U all on-die, and then they just pipe the roms through a subscription service.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2015 12:09:54
    I get what you mean and i'm definitely more than happy to do that with TV shows and films, but when it comes to music and games, I tend to re-listen/play them over and over again, so it's nice to know I can access those whenever I want, regardless of whether or not I have/need an internet connection, and with no fear that it could all disappear at any moment.
  • Widge Moderator 18 Mar 2015 12:12:40 13,858 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

If Nintendo made a console on par with PS4/Xbox one with a regular controller, I don't see why they wouldn't port it across.
    Depends on architecture. Nintendo have kept with a PowerPC structure which has meant backwards compatibility has been rather easy between platforms. If we take that as a business strategy, you'd assume that any new home console would retain that. Plus they tend to introduce a new control mechanism with each hardware in spite of a perceived "agreed best" standard.

The implications is that any new console would be immediately harder to port to and more than likely subject to quick and dirty ports. Couple that with a grand majority using PS4/PC/Xbox as primary console (friends lists, network, digital catalogue, performance) and there is little incentive for a third parties to put a whole host of effort into a Nintendo power platform.

Considering Nintendo's ethos is low power/eco friendly, low cost, break even. It puts them in a really difficult decision where they either a) have to put out a prohibitively priced console, b) take massive hits on hardware with no guarantee of making it back on software.

As I've said before, Nintendo entering the power race is a really bad idea. It would slot them nicely into third place in the scrabble and would pretty much break them.

I think what people have to get hold of is that Nintendo is not on the same path as Sony and Microsoft. They target different demographics. So they don't get the third party titles, so what really? Who would buy them?
  • L0cky 18 Mar 2015 12:22:28 2,041 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    On the other hand, their target demograph has dried up since Wii and now their internal standards on what they're prepared to do and not prepared to do have clearly been snapped by shareholder pressure.

I don't think historical behaviour can be relied upon now as a predictor of what they're going to do next.

x86 console with a standard controller in the same ballpark as the other consoles would allow devs to do a checkbox port, so third party support is a no brainer. Nintendo will still have their major USP - Exclusive Nintendo games.

Sounds too sensible though, come on shareholders, keep shaking this fists!

Probably too late for that anyway...
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 18 Mar 2015 12:29:38 47,497 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, that's been the problem with the Wii U. They have their target audience, and the majority of said audience has gone "meh, we're done with this fad now".
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Mar 2015 12:32:20 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish they would realise what makes Nintendo special isn't their gimmicks, it's their games. Almost no-one makes the games they do and generally if they try, they're nowhere near as good.
    They should concentrate on expanding their development staff and focus on their software, the hardware should be designed to allow their game s be played on, that's it.
    Not to be different for the sake of it, not to be a certain size.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Mar 2015 12:33:50 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The casuals are gone and never coming back, the "traditional" gaming market is what they should concentrate on (plus younger kids) and to a lesser extent, family multiplayer stuff.
  • rock27gr 18 Mar 2015 13:31:12 6,416 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They tried the "as powerful as the competition" route with the GC, and it didn't work; also, their "gimmicks" are not the end game by themselves, they are the means to achieve those games everyone praises them for.

They've been constantly pushing the envelope regarding game control since they started selling those Game and Watch stuff way back in the 80s, and any new control options where always beneficial to their games in very specific ways.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Mar 2015 13:34:07 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rock27gr wrote:
    They tried the "as powerful as the competition" route with the GC, and it didn't work; also, their "gimmicks" are not the end game by themselves, they are the means to achieve those games everyone praises them for.

They've been constantly pushing the envelope regarding game control since they started selling those Game and Watch stuff way back in the 80s, and any new control options where always beneficial to their games in very specific ways.
    Yes but everyone can see that the Wii U Controller has turned out to be just a gimmick, so few games use it in any meaningful way.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 18 Mar 2015 13:39:13 47,497 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Yes but everyone can see that the Wii U Controller has turned out to be just a gimmick, so few games use it in any meaningful way.
    I think it was only Nintendo that didn't see that one coming :D
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Mar 2015 13:44:58 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I think it was only Nintendo that didn't see that one coming :D
    I thought it would be useful but the distance from screen to screen means that it's nowhere near as useful as the DS/3DS.
    Quite the fuck up.

It was half arsed though, the only gimmick they could come up with.
  • JoelStinty 18 Mar 2015 13:45:27 8,074 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    rock27gr wrote:

I don't think its no coincidence that this image popped up in that conference.

Edited by JoelStinty at 13:46:16 18-03-2015
  • rock27gr 18 Mar 2015 13:50:35 6,416 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

That's sort of true, though I know of a few people around here that would beg to differ! ;)

It's true there hasn't yet been a truly killer game that was entirely based on the use of the gamePad (except for ZombiU?), but it does play support role that enhances most games one way or another, similar to how many DS/3DS games utilise the touch screen.

And many people are really making extensive use of the off-TV feature. So, perhaps a miss-fire, but then again, you can't always get everything right, unless you keep everything static.
  • rock27gr 18 Mar 2015 13:53:10 6,416 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    rock27gr wrote:

I don't think its no coincidence that this image popped up in that conference.

Nice one didn't see that before! You can see that they are proud in what they've achieved control-wise all these years! Should have included their portable line-up, though I guess they were focusing on the home consoles.
  • rock27gr 18 Mar 2015 13:56:06 6,416 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Though thinking about it, is that really an official image; for starters the N64 date is wrong.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 18 Mar 2015 14:25:13 8,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rock27gr wrote:
    Though thinking about it, is that really an official image; for starters the N64 date is wrong.
    Not for Europe.
  • Dizzy 18 Mar 2015 14:28:09 3,710 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It probably will be a handheld system that will have a docking station that will be connected to TV.
  • L0cky 18 Mar 2015 15:36:28 2,041 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That would be sensible, already been suggested a lot.

I think the latest phones have as much horse power as the WiiU, or will soon so it's feasible as a console replacement and portable.

Guess the speculating is going to get old fast if they are keeping shtum for another year.
  • JoelStinty 18 Mar 2015 15:55:48 8,074 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im not a techy person, but instead of adopting X86 architecture, do you think it is feasible that they might decide to go with tablet components instead? so it easy to integrate with every day things and run alongside current developments in the general lifestyle trend?

Or just stick with 9 gamecubes stuck together?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 18 Mar 2015 16:17:02 8,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Going with a tablet-esque design will make 40 games hilariously difficult to sell.
  • nickthegun 18 Mar 2015 16:26:30 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I would stick a fiver on it just being wii u and 3ds innards smashed into a portable handset.

Probably with a chromecast style dongle to stick in the back of the telly.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2015 17:11:17
    Where will the hot orange squash come out of Nick?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.