Following Daredevil on Netflix - from Marvel Studios! Page 24

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 24 Oct 2018 15:25:25 18,389 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yes I picked that up in the first 2 seasons. What do I need to know from all the other shit thats been going on?
  • nickthegun 24 Oct 2018 15:28:52 76,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well.... The Defenders was pretty much Daredevil S3 and it closed off most of the story from S1&2, so quite a lot.

I say quite a lot, he beat up a lot of ninjas, his GF turned evil, she died and he had a building dropped on him.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Oct 2018 21:32:29 17,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really liked S3. Back to the grounded reality of S1 (No Zombie Ninjas). Other points being

- Love the fact he doesn't use his costume. I hated it. This once again adds to a sense of reality and vulnerability.

- Sister Maggie was fantastic foil (and the younger version of her in the flashback was a hotty).

- Fisk once again steals the show. Absolutely dominant presence.

- Dex/Bullseye's "origin" was a nice change and provided extra complexity. You almost feel bad for him at the beginning before his demise.

- Nadeem was another great choice.

- But F*ck me do I hate Karen and Foggy. Karen does just stupid ish. I really get annoyed at characters with high moral standards yet act on impulse.

- Speaking of high moral standards, I find Foggy's positivity and trust in the law almost psychopathic. Doesn't matter how many innocent people die, that dude will still get on his high horse.

- It's an ending whereby you know the makers aren't confident they'll get a S4.
  • BinaryBob101 25 Oct 2018 10:27:15 26,671 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Decks don't bother with that pile o shite The Defenders, it was somehow dull AF. Maybe just watch the last ten minutes of the final episode to have a quick giggle at how shit it really is then see a skyscraper fall on Daredvil's head.
  • nickthegun 25 Oct 2018 20:49:38 76,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    'This series is really picking up, the next episode should be pretty intense'

S03E10 'Karen'

'ffs...'
  • wobbly_Bob 25 Oct 2018 21:35:03 4,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    'This series is really picking up, the next episode should be pretty intense'

S03E10 'Karen'

'ffs...'
    Yeah that was boring. Just pure filler. All in all though I thought it was fantastic. I'll let them off for that small miss.
  • nickthegun 25 Oct 2018 21:43:29 76,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ive skipped the entire first 30 minutes
  • wobbly_Bob 25 Oct 2018 21:45:48 4,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ive skipped the entire first 30 minutes
    Good choice. You miss NOTHING. I kept watching thinking maybe i'll miss something important if I dont but nope. Happily after that bit it picks right back up again and goes on at full speed.
  • Wavey 25 Oct 2018 21:46:04 836 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really enjoyed every episode of the new season. I was honestly not bored once which is a first for the Netflix Marvel offerings. Really hope season 4 gets made.
  • Mola_Ram 28 Oct 2018 08:07:00 19,336 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I feel bad crapping on Karen, because the actress who plays her isn't bad or anything. I just... don't give a shit about anything she does.

Episode 3 puts her on a blind date! Talking about literature! I guess it's a change from getting all self-righteous around authority figures, but I still don't care.
  • Mola_Ram 28 Oct 2018 08:10:42 19,336 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On a more interesting note, I love that Dex's "Oh sure, I have this girl that I tell all my problems to" amounts to being a stalker. So creepy.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Nov 2018 12:22:20 19,336 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Karen (talking at normal volume in public place): Felix Manning, YOU LAUNDERED MONEY FOR WILSON FISK, but if you talk to me off the record I promise that I will keep your name, Felix Manning who laundered money for a crime kingpin, out of the public eye.

Cracking journalism there, Kazza. Does this eventuate in something, or would I just be better off attempting to skip this subplot.

EDIT: ...aaaaaaand in the very next scene she's smugly dressing down an FBI investigator. I shouldn't have asked.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 12:31:36 02-11-2018
  • minky-kong 2 Nov 2018 12:43:23 14,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was anyone else cringing all the way through the "Entire History of Dex" bit in episode 5? Definitely a good idea on paper but the execution was excruciating at times, particular as young Dex is an appalling actor.
  • nickthegun 2 Nov 2018 12:53:26 76,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was too busy wondering how Fisk has the same mutant power as Misty Knight.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Nov 2018 08:51:23 19,336 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Was anyone else cringing all the way through the "Entire History of Dex" bit in episode 5? Definitely a good idea on paper but the execution was excruciating at times, particular as young Dex is an appalling actor.
    I am watching it now. It is not very subtle.

Though I guess painting a bullseye on the kid's cap was probably one of the less-stupid ways to hint at the character.
  • richarddavies 3 Nov 2018 08:59:22 6,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was more wondering how the fbi obviously had a file on dex which basically goes in depth about how much of a murdering psychopath he is yet it didnt seem to be any kind of obstacle for him getting a job there.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Nov 2018 10:21:47 19,336 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The way that Fisk is in this season, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd gotten Dex hired at the FBI in the first place. He's just that good.

Like, I get that he's a supervillain. But the 4th-dimensional chess is getting pretty ridiculous, especially compared to how (relatively) grounded the character was in the first season.
  • spindle9988 6 Nov 2018 15:57:40 4,846 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really enjoyed series 3 but I have one issue which is How the fuck did get Dex get to be an FBI agent in the 1st place? Surely he would have gone through some psychiatric test and then told to fuck off.

Unless I missed something? I am getting sleepy in my old age.
  • Scimarad 6 Nov 2018 16:03:51 9,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @spindle9988

That did occur to me the other day as well.
  • nickthegun 6 Nov 2018 16:11:34 76,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I assumed he's high functioning enough to blag it. See also: being an army guy
  • The-Bodybuilder 6 Nov 2018 17:41:29 17,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think your making your assumption that, particularly as a former army guy, there aren't already a few unhinged folks in both the military and FBI already.

And then remember, This is America.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2018 10:25:13 19,336 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait, wtf was that last episode about?

Matt wants to kill Fisk, so he manipulates Dex into going into the reception and take out the guards. But then he stops Dex from killing Fisk (doesn't care about the FBI agents or anyone else though), so... he can go upstairs and kill him himself? And then ultimately decide to not do that?

I guess he changed his mind part-way through the plan or something, because he was all about killing Fisk at the beginning of the episode. But if that's what he wanted, it would have been MUCH easier to just let Dex do it, no weird three-way fight scenes required. Sure there'd be collateral damage, but if you cared about that you wouldn't send a mass-murderer to do the job.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:34:49 09-11-2018
  • RichDC 9 Nov 2018 10:53:23 8,131 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Did he ever stop Dex from killing Fisk? Dex was trying to kill Vanessa.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2018 10:58:51 19,336 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He chucked a microphone or something at him in the dance hall, which Matt blocked.

I mean, I guess he could have been aiming at Vanessa. But that again speaks to the silliness of goading an unhinged killer to kill a guy, and only then worrying about collateral damage. He could have easily killed a bunch of other people too.
  • RGeefe 9 Nov 2018 11:00:25 231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I believe Dex was trying to kill Vanessa out of jealousy. Fisk manipulated him by getting Julia (??) killed so that Dex no longer had that emotional crutch he needed, which was a void Fisk filled so he'd have a trained killer at his beck and call.

Then along comes Vanessa and we have all the childish jealousy issues.

Matt realised that he had more power over Fisk by keeping him under control through threats of Vanessa's safety.

It wasn't ENTIRELY neatly done but it did a solid job and there was way less padding this series than the last one.

Also - I cannot wait to see how ridiculous they make Bullseye look in the next series
  • spindle9988 9 Nov 2018 11:09:57 4,846 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    I believe Dex was trying to kill Vanessa out of jealousy. Fisk manipulated him by getting Julia (??) killed so that Dex no longer had that emotional crutch he needed, which was a void Fisk filled so he'd have a trained killer at his beck and call.

Then along comes Vanessa and we have all the childish jealousy issues.

Matt realised that he had more power over Fisk by keeping him under control through threats of Vanessa's safety.

It wasn't ENTIRELY neatly done but it did a solid job and there was way less padding this series than the last one.

Also - I cannot wait to see how ridiculous they make Bullseye look in the next series

Spoilers fr punisher and DD ahead.

We now have 2 villains being made at the moment with Bullseye from DD and Jigsaw from the punisher. I really hope we get to see these 2 shortly as I#m worried they will just get cancelled.
  • beastmaster 30 Nov 2018 06:14:56 19,064 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Been cancelled by Netflix.
  • Baihu1983 30 Nov 2018 06:33:07 10,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Might as well just announce that all their Marvel stuff is done instead of stringing it out
  • richarddavies 30 Nov 2018 06:48:31 6,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bit wounded about that. Thought DD was the only decent one out of all of them.
  • RichDC 30 Nov 2018 06:50:07 8,131 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Still got one more series of Jessica Jones to come I think. Wonder if they'll do another Defenders to end it all properly.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.