True Detective Page 21

• RichieTenenbaum 19 Aug 2015 14:53:26 2,771 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The puddle was his fuel line being cut so he couldn't get far.
  • convz 19 Aug 2015 15:12:42 1,099 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Speaks volumes that the tragic ending left me feeling nothing, so little did I care for any of the characters. For reference, had the characters and story been written well, I would have felt a twinge, I'm far from a heartless brute.
    Same here. I felt like they overdid pretty much everything in this show. The writers don't seem to grasp the concept of 'more is less' .

Probably the best example is the character flaws, it's like they heaped as many 'quirks' onto each character as possible. Someone fighting against their homosexuality, using a girl as cover, questionable military history, celebrity scandals, suffering from ptsd, has some sort of weird thing going on with his mum, still caught up with a very shady military organisation, suicidal etc etc.

I enjoyed the season and managed to follow it for the most part (though some parts were a leap, i.e. "Oh it must be the photographer from earlier!") but season 1 was so much better.

Edited by convz at 15:13:29 19-08-2015
  • beastmaster 19 Aug 2015 15:37:08 18,904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just finished series 1 and it was amazing.

What's so bad about series 2? Is the acting, plot or dialogue? Is it all a bit surreal too (not that it's a problem for me at all).
  • Juz 19 Aug 2015 15:42:41 3,262 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Just finished series 1 and it was amazing.

What's so bad about series 2? Is the acting, plot or dialogue? Is it all a bit surreal too (not that it's a problem for me at all).
    The only thing surreal about it will be the dreamlike sense of deja-vu you'll experience with the introduction of every cliched character.
  • iancognito 19 Aug 2015 15:43:00 2,476 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Is the acting, plot or dialogue?
    Yes, yes and yes.

Acting isn't too bad in places. Plot is told in a very complicated way and confuses most people when it's actually quite a simple story. The dialogue is terrible. It gave me blue balls in my ears.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Aug 2015 15:48:02 19,049 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not particularly surreal, unfortunately (aside from a couple of cool dream sequences). Dialogue is all over the shop, acting too, and the plot was way more confusing and meandering than it needed to be.

It's watchable, and has some high points, but most here seem to be in agreement that it's a bit of a step down from S1.
  • Kichijoten 23 Aug 2015 22:46:33 4,555 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just finished it. Great series, thoroughly depressing end for the most part.
  • chopsen 23 Aug 2015 22:57:48 20,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I quite liked it, haters be damned.

The thing about it was that allthough superficially it looked like it might be a gritty realistic drama, it really was anything but. A high profile informer show up dead, and the only people who turn up are 4 off duty police who are *all* pissed? Bloke gets shot up by an intruder in a giant crow mask and just gets up and goes back to work? A massive conspiracy involving everybody ever and *litterally* a bus load of whores on drugs turns up and it's somehow kept a secret from everybody? Cop woman walks around with more knives than professional kitchen and nobody bats an eye?

It's completely OTT and mental. The mistake is to take it seriously.

Edited by chopsen at 22:58:19 23-08-2015
  • Syrette 23 Aug 2015 23:58:29 50,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I didn't hate it, I was able to enjoy it for what it is, but it wasn't great by any means in my humble opinion.

It suffers from being the second season of an anthology series, in which the first season was superior to it in every possible way. Had it not been compared so much it would probably have attracted far less scathing criticism (and far less viewers to start with).
  • chopsen 24 Aug 2015 00:45:46 20,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes and more generally we're also spoiled by some really consistently amazing TV series over the last 10 years or so. If something like this had been made in 2002 or whatever we'd be blown away by it.

However, it really has come in for a pasting that I think it didn't really deserve.

It's as if TV these days has to be either utterly amazing or it's dreadful.
  • yegon 24 Aug 2015 08:46:39 6,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wouldn't have liked it 15 years ago. I thought it was pretty awful for a long list of reasons, not because my critical faculties are limited to binary judgements of good/bad.

It's nice that some people enjoyed it, but saying it was unjustifiably panned ignores the wealth of explanations of WHY a lot of people think it was pants.
  • chopsen 24 Aug 2015 08:56:33 20,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No I agree that there are valid reasons for criticising it. It is a bit over complicated and I don't think I would have bothered sticking with it if I'd watched it as a weekly broadcast because it would have lost me. It had a "and previously" bit on a lot of episodes which is something that normally HBO don't seem the need to do.

I think it being *universally* panned by everyone is a bit unfair. It's hardly the worst thing I've seen on TV recently.
  • Tuffty 24 Aug 2015 09:06:39 4,254 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    I think it being *universally* panned by everyone is a bit unfair. It's hardly the worst thing I've seen on TV recently.
    Certainly not, have you seen If Katie Hopkins Ruled The World?
  • Syrette 24 Aug 2015 09:09:58 50,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    chopsen wrote:
    Certainly not, have you seen If Katie Hopkins Ruled The World?
    Truer words have never been spoken.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Aug 2015 09:22:06 19,049 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It wasn't universally panned. There was that charming article a few pages ago that suggested the viewers who didn't like it were the problem, not the show.

But more seriously, a few episodes got a bit of praise in many quarters, including from critics/viewers (even people on here!) who were down on the season as a whole. Sure, the general consensus was that it was a disappointment overall, but it's often a little more nuanced than "the whole thing was shit" or whatever.
  • convz 24 Aug 2015 12:31:18 1,099 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That "overweight, meek ginger kid that may not even be his" was the only thing that was good in his life.
  • Tonka 24 Aug 2015 15:59:29 28,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    People without children imaging what parenting is like.

We've all been there.
  • Benno 24 Aug 2015 16:03:19 11,716 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also: people who have limited communication with women imagining what women are like
  • Tonka 24 Aug 2015 19:21:57 28,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oddly enough Pizzalatte has a wife.
  • Darth_Flibble 24 Aug 2015 20:05:32 3,243 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If it had the kid from family Guy with the upside down head instead of the ginger kid then would of been much better!.
  • M83J01P97 6 Jan 2016 20:13:45 7,571 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    An HBO executive explains why True Detective season 2 kind of sucked

No shit Sherlock.

The lack of confirmation on a third season for this year suggests they either haven't commissioned one at all or they are doing the right thing and letting Pizzolatto take his time to write the next season now.
  • Salaman 6 Jan 2016 21:59:15 23,371 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I never got around to finishing season 2 actually.
  • THFourteen 30 Mar 2016 08:37:41 50,549 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This isn't bad but Jesus Christ they should call it Miserable Detective.

Is anyone in the whole season 2 not fucking miserable?
  • convz 30 Mar 2016 15:13:44 1,099 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope. I like dark/gritty shows but I feel like the writers tried way too hard to make everyone overly broken/damaged
  • Baihu1983 1 Jul 2017 05:43:57 10,611 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mahershala Ali to play the main character for season 3 apparently

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.