Blade Runner 2049 Page 32

Next Last
  • 1Million_Tons_of_TNT 28 Feb 2018 14:43:59 89 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    FilthyAnimal wrote:
    @1Million_Tons_of_TNT You see the button in the middle of the "Reply" toolbar with a flag? What does it say?

A little hint.
    I've made amends. They were not the biggest of spoilers.

Edited by 1Million_Tons_of_TNT at 14:44:11 28-02-2018
  • 1Million_Tons_of_TNT 28 Feb 2018 14:54:46 89 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    @1Million_Tons_of_TNT i didn't know princess leia was cgi, so they did reasonably well I think for me not to notice.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2018 15:03:26 25,102 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1Million_Tons_of_TNT wrote:
    @1Million_Tons_of_TNT i didn't know princess leia was cgi, so they did reasonably well I think for me not to notice.
    Sorry, thought you meant The Last Jedi

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 15:05:11 28-02-2018
  • drhickman1983 1 Mar 2018 07:03:55 5,651 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rewatched 2049. After the initial disappointment, and knowing what to expect now, I did enjoy it a lot more.

I still think it's too long, and found myself checking my watch with about an hour to go. Leto still annoys the hell out of me. The nascent replicant-uprising plot feels a bit under-developed. And I'm still not entirely sold on the score, still a few moments where I found the soundscape annoying more than foreboding.

Aside from that I actually enjoyed it this time around. One of my original niggles, which relates to what I was expecting to what we got, was that the world felt strangely empty, like a ghost town, vs what I wanted/expected (a claustrophobic, dense city), but even before the rewatch I realised that did make sense in context. Everyone who could has fucked off, and more have died. It's humankind in extinction.

Joi remains the most interesting aspect of the film. Given that we seem to pretty much accept that replicants have real emotions, her character is needed to reframe the question of what makes emotions real.

I still subscribe to cynical notion that she's not unique at all, that any Joi would react to the relationship with K in exactly the same way. Thus, for me, rendering her a simulation rather than something real. But the question of where do simulated emotions become real emotions is a good one.

If my initial viewing would have received a 4/10 it's a good 7 or 8 now. I don't think it's quite as smart as it wants to be, and if it wasn't so stylish it would lose a lot, but the same can be said about the original so in that regard it's very much in line with what's gone before.
  • 1Million_Tons_of_TNT 1 Mar 2018 07:52:37 89 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Rewatched 2049. After the initial disappointment, and knowing what to expect now, I did enjoy it a lot more.

I still think it's too long, and found myself checking my watch with about an hour to go. Leto still annoys the hell out of me. The nascent replicant-uprising plot feels a bit under-developed. And I'm still not entirely sold on the score, still a few moments where I found the soundscape annoying more than foreboding.

Aside from that I actually enjoyed it this time around. One of my original niggles, which relates to what I was expecting to what we got, was that the world felt strangely empty, like a ghost town, vs what I wanted/expected (a claustrophobic, dense city), but even before the rewatch I realised that did make sense in context. Everyone who could has fucked off, and more have died. It's humankind in extinction.

Joi remains the most interesting aspect of the film. Given that we seem to pretty much accept that replicants have real emotions, her character is needed to reframe the question of what makes emotions real.

I still subscribe to cynical notion that she's not unique at all, that any Joi would react to the relationship with K in exactly the same way. Thus, for me, rendering her a simulation rather than something real. But the question of where do simulated emotions become real emotions is a good one.

If my initial viewing would have received a 4/10 it's a good 7 or 8 now. I don't think it's quite as smart as it wants to be, and if it wasn't so stylish it would lose a lot, but the same can be said about the original so in that regard it's very much in line with what's gone before.
    For a 2.5hr film that felt long, boring, there’s an urge to watch it a second time within a week of watching it for the first time. That has to be a good sign.

Putting all the negatives to one side, such as the lack of theme tune, the one area where the story succeeded over the original, was the hitting home of what it is like to be a Replicant. When K meets Deckard, I really thought it was K meeting his father. Then the group explains to K, we’ve all had the same thoughts. Then I began to wonder about K having genuine feelings, not coming close to baseline. A Replicant crossing the line.
  • nickthegun 1 Mar 2018 07:58:40 76,188 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    1Million_Tons_of_TNT wrote:
    At least we now know where they got the bottom half of Henry Cavills Justice League head from.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Mar 2018 08:03:58 17,473 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ha I was watching videos of that the other day. How in the fuck did they think it looked good enough to use?
  • drhickman1983 4 Mar 2018 00:06:52 5,651 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I rewatched the original film.

On the whole I still prefer the first film. It's hard-boiled detective angle is more pronounced, and it's more claustrophobic feeling, which I prefer to the more ethereal and minimal 2049. The city feels more bustling, but it makes perfect in-universe sense for the newer film to feel like a bit like a ghost town at times.

The love story in the original really is crap, though, and frankly Wallace's musings that they were designed to fall in love is about the only way it can make any sense. The relationship in 2049 was more interesting, even if it's not entirely clear how genuine it is... Though if Wallace is correct and Rachel and Deckard were designed to fall in love, how different would that be to Joi?

Deckard is a bit of a dick, really, what with the questionable seduction technique, and using what he thought was his last breath to spit in the face of Batty.

Roy Batty is still the most interesting character in any of the films, and I find his final moments far more moving than K's. I like to think the tenderness he shows Pris is supposed to contrast ol' rapey Deckard, but wonder if that was entirely intentional. His dying monologue is just awesome. Techno-gibberish but poetic and delivered beautifully.
  • anephric 4 Mar 2018 00:39:25 3,030 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Deckard is a bit of a dick, really, what with the questionable seduction technique, and using what he thought was his last breath to spit in the face of Batty.
    For years I thought that was just rain and spit coming out of Deckard's mouth as he exhales in panic as he's falling but according to Ridley Scott, nope he's spitting at Roy.

Odd moment.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Mar 2018 01:15:29 19,064 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait, what's wrong with demanding "say you love me" as a seduction technique?
  • nickthegun 4 Mar 2018 07:57:11 76,188 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Try it and get back to us with the results
  • Mola_Ram 4 Mar 2018 08:02:57 19,064 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll go into more detail later, but the officers really want to take my phone now.
  • Boriska 4 Mar 2018 08:19:55 825 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deckard being a dick is part of why the original is an excellent film. By the end of it you should feel conflicted about both Deckard and Batty.
  • drhickman1983 4 Mar 2018 09:29:37 5,651 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Absolutely, it's one of the reasons why I like the original, it's quite morally grey. The "bad" guys don't seem that bad and the "good" guy is a dick.

I do think 2049 was a bit more clear cut on who was good and bad. Not helped by Leto's performance, which only just fell short of moustache-twirling villainy.
  • Dougs 10 Mar 2018 06:06:07 87,631 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finally watched this last night, loved it. Villneauve nails the tone and atmosphere, and the score is fantastic. Not quite as good as Vangelis but it's pretty close imo. It's probably about 20 mins too long but otherwise I thought it was a great sequel. And as someone else said, I'm already wanting to watch it again (perhaps when I'm not fighting tiredness after 4 hours sleep the night before...),and that speaks volumes.
  • GoatApocalypse 10 Mar 2018 12:04:17 5,137 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was in the worst possible game of mind when I rented this and found it overly long, sparse, ponderous, and with borderline incoherent exposition.

I was also utterly compelled to watch it again, so the Bloodoovd is on its way.

It's an incredibly brave film that's clearly a labour of love, and one that demands a lot from its audience. I have total respect for that, and I'm hoping a second viewing (over one sitting) with a clearer head will help.
  • askew 10 Mar 2018 12:36:14 18,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love it. I think Villeneuve is on a real streak right now: 2049, Arrival, and Sicario are all some of my favourite films from the past few years.
  • GoatApocalypse 10 Mar 2018 19:14:10 5,137 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WITHIN CELLS INTERLINKED

I've become obsessed with this film.
  • ChiefGB 11 Mar 2018 15:58:37 9,908 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, it's a weird one isn't it. I wasn't blown away but since watching and talking about it I've been saying I'll have to watch it again as well. I don't imagine it will be better though and that length is holding me back a little though.
  • neilka 11 Mar 2018 16:45:39 22,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
  • drhickman1983 11 Mar 2018 17:01:42 5,651 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Yes, it's a weird one isn't it. I wasn't blown away but since watching and talking about it I've been saying I'll have to watch it again as well. I don't imagine it will be better though and that length is holding me back a little though.
    I would say it's worth a rewatch.

I really didn't like it on first viewing, but once my expectations had been tempered I enjoyed it a lot, lot more.
  • neilka 29 Nov 2018 20:11:39 22,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's a 13 episode anime series on the way, set between the films in 2032.
    https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/blade-runner-anime-series-adult-swim-crunchyroll-1203047083/
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Nov 2018 20:23:44 17,473 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Get it in me.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 29 Nov 2018 21:12:44 13,371 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wish these things didn’t always have to be anime style. It just doesn’t do anything for me.
  • ZuluHero 29 Nov 2018 21:16:37 6,923 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Could be stylish though, any preview shots?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Nov 2018 21:18:48 17,473 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anime can do cyberpunk well with the right style. Make it look like Ghost in the Shell and it should be great.
  • nickthegun 29 Nov 2018 21:21:00 76,188 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's good and cheap and people tend to lower their expectations for it
  • neilka 29 Nov 2018 21:34:32 22,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's being made by some of the people who worked on the Black Out 2022 short so it's likely to look similar to that.

• Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.