Following Rocket League

First Previous
  • Quintumply 24 Apr 2015 19:44:41 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone else remember Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars? Me and my brother used to have an absolute blast with it.

It's getting a sequel on PS4, more simply called Rocket League.

If you are unaware, it's basically football only with RC style cars that can boost and jump around.

Here's a trailer:

I'm awful at the game, but it's mega fun. There's a beta test going on at the moment. Is there anyone else on the forums involved?

Here's the link to the sign-up page.
  • SolidSCB 25 Apr 2015 01:18:58 11,130 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow. This game is a LOT of fun. Cheers for the heads up OP.

They are still giving out codes if anyone's interested.
  • Quintumply 5 May 2015 11:03:26 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The PS4 beta has now come to an end, but anyone who's played it should keep it installed, as they're hosting another beta later this month.

Another chance for those yet to discover the joys of Rocket League to get a taster!

This is a seriously awesome little game, and I would urge all who read this to give the next beta test a try. Hit the sign up link in the OP and get yourself a code ready for the end of May :)

Edit: Here's a link to a preview of the beta.

Edited by Quintumply at 11:07:19 05-05-2015
  • Quintumply 6 Jul 2015 09:50:45 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry for the bump, but with Rocket League releasing on PS Plus tomorrow I thought it was justified :)

Anyone else catch a glimpse of this at E3? If you watch interviews or search online, you'll likely only be able to find positive opinions of this game. I played both betas on PS4 and I had more fun with that than many full retail games.

Rocket League will be well worth a download tomorrow, could be the next great party game. I know I'll be playing this a lot with a few of the guys on the weekend! :)
  • kadooosh 6 Jul 2015 10:11:15 3,220 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's actually being release at midnight which is ahead of the ps store update :) great game!
  • IronGiant 6 Jul 2015 11:07:46 5,910 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm definitely going to grab this :)
  • HisDudness 6 Jul 2015 11:41:07 1,658 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The beta caused me to drop every game I was playing at the time - including Bloodborne! Amazing that this will be included with the PS+ games this month. So excited to get back into it.
  • SolidSCB 6 Jul 2015 13:48:24 11,130 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, this really got me playing the PS4 again at a time when I was going through a bit of a lull. Even playing on my own with randoms, it was so, so much fun. Absolutely fantastic PS+ title.
  • elephantjuice 6 Jul 2015 14:38:02 1,070 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really looking forward to trying this after all the positive feedback.
  • KRadiation 6 Jul 2015 14:41:33 1,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tried the ps3 game and thought it was shite. I just seemed to be chasing the ball for most of the match and when i did find and hit the ball it would ping off anywhere except where id want
  • HisDudness 6 Jul 2015 14:57:04 1,658 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KRadiation wrote:
    I tried the ps3 game and thought it was shite. I just seemed to be chasing the ball for most of the match and when i did find and hit the ball it would ping off anywhere except where id want
    Well now you can do that in glorious 1080p!
  • Quintumply 6 Jul 2015 15:06:17 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kadooosh wrote:
    It's actually being release at midnight which is ahead of the ps store update :) great game!
    Ah, did not know this! Brilliant!

Another cool thing is that this game is cross playable with the PC version, which is also out tomorrow! :)
  • Angry_Man_Dan 7 Jul 2015 10:39:54 695 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I stayed up to download it last night, had a couple of games and didn't get to bed till 1am. Really really good fun, I'd have happily paid for it.

Had to be up at ten to 5 this morning. I am shattered. Damn you Rocket League!
  • ChiefGB 7 Jul 2015 12:02:08 10,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surely a 1.4 GB game can't sensibly have a1.6gb patch? That's like a whole new game and more. Also, day one? Why not just make it a 3gb or whatever game. Still all points leading to this being good (not watched any vids) but the word of text ;) around these parts is good.

Not sure what rocket league my fan noise is in though ;) (yes it's another one of those games, going by the menu)

Servers are down from the look of it.

Hmmm going on the two games of season mode I've just played, I'd classify this as "ok" a neat little game but one that I'll likely play just once or twice.
    Edited by ChiefGB at 12:55:16 07-07-2015

Edited by ChiefGB at 13:13:49 07-07-2015

Edited by ChiefGB at 13:33:13 07-07-2015
  • Deleted user 7 July 2015 13:49:47
    Is this online multiplayer only or is there some single player worth getting into?
  • MrMattAdz 7 Jul 2015 13:53:54 3,671 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's 4 player split screen as well apparently, empty spaces can be filled by bots.

Edited by MrMattAdz at 13:55:24 07-07-2015
  • ChiefGB 7 Jul 2015 14:02:56 10,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It has a season mode, currently the servers have gone tits up so that and local is the only option atm. I'm not sure if it's much more than knockabout fun really, there is a depth to the controls but it all seems so manic and not very nuanced so I get the feeling it would be very difficult to make real use of much of them.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 7 Jul 2015 14:11:20 6,489 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is fantastic. Teammate AI is mixed though!
  • SolidSCB 7 Jul 2015 14:27:54 11,130 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What I did during the Beta mainly, was play as the guy taking care of defence while the other players chased the ball up the other end of the field. Then when it broke free, I'd make a 'late run into the box' as it were and make the tap-in if I could. I had games where I scored like 5-6 goals doing that. It also puts you on the front foot defensively when it breaks your way, too.

It is a really tactical game when you get into it a bit.

Oh, and one more thing! Press triangle if you haven't already so ball cam is active. Makes things about a million times easier.
  • SomaticSense 7 Jul 2015 14:32:11 15,062 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My favourite tactic so far, is to hang around midfield when the ball's in the opposing half, and then make a bolt forward when ball inevitably flys across the goal.

Basically Lamparding it up.
  • HisDudness 7 Jul 2015 14:36:06 1,658 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    What I did during the Beta mainly, was play as the guy taking care of defence while the other players chased the ball up the other end of the field...
    This is also what I did. A lot of the randoms you will be matched with will just want to smack the ball as much as possible, so it's best to choose a complementary role. There is little value to all three players trying to play the ball all the time.

Another good role is to hang around the opponents box, poaching poor clearances or centering attempts from your team mates.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 7 Jul 2015 15:02:17 6,489 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Scored a bicycle!!!!!

No trophy for it!!!! ;(
  • Deleted user 7 July 2015 15:06:51
    Why is this in the PS4 section?
  • ChiefGB 7 Jul 2015 15:39:43 10,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok well clearly there's joy and tactics to be had here from the posts. Still not sure if it's for me though and it was free so everyone should at least give it a go. Mouse craft captured my attention for longer though.
  • SolidSCB 7 Jul 2015 15:48:20 11,130 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest, the game truly comes to life online. I've played a couple of games of season now waiting for the servers to come back on and the AI is about as mindless as it gets. They just chase the ball around forever and get in the way of you most of the time. It's a whole different kettle of fish with actual people. The offline is good practice for now though, my timing has gone to shit again.

Maybe we could get an EG game together sometime soon if we have enough interest?
  • TheMayorOfJugs 7 Jul 2015 16:15:38 6,489 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would love to play you twats at this. It's great.
  • BeebleB 7 Jul 2015 16:26:28 1,302 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played the beta and will grabbing this later on. Am totally rubbish though...
  • quadfather 7 Jul 2015 16:27:49 34,500 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs

Haha, I've bought it so there's your first twat :)
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.