Following Bloodstained - Ritual Of The Night Page 12

Next Last
  • nickthegun 10 Jan 2020 10:40:00 79,779 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I cant remember exactly how long it took me to get the perfect ending but it was definitely over 15 hours, maybe over 20 because I spent a while grinding for materials, but you will now get the bad ending, reload and spend a while wandering around, thinking wtf do I do now?.

Its fair to say you have just scratched the surface.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jan 2020 10:42:10 7,407 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyate Yes, you have a fair bit to go and there are multiple endings.

There is a bad-end that you are not far from. You can actually access the final boss pretty early. Beating him, however, results in the bad-end and dumps you back to the title-screen. Fortunately, you can just continue from your last save right before that fight. Rather than fighting the last boss, you should instead be looking for other areas you can explore. You've still got at least half the game, if not more, to go before you can reach the normal/true endings.
  • wuntyate 10 Jan 2020 11:13:05 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, I had a funny feeling it was going to pan out like that. I'll carry on and see what happens before going back to my save point and go for a wander about. I figured there was probably a whole load of obtuse stuff I needed to do. I have to admit to looking up a guide purely to find out what to do with my photo, I wouldn't have dreamed of going back to the librarian.

I've also yet to find enough ingredients to actually make any food.

Edited by wuntyate at 11:13:13 10-01-2020
  • nickthegun 10 Jan 2020 11:20:15 79,779 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That was the most annoying part of the game, for me. I know they were making something to be played through multiple times but having a million items to make and then being ridiculously stingy with the ingredients is just a pain in the arse.

Quite a lot of things require ingredients that can only be found in literally the last section of the game, so they just sit there, greyed out, taunting you for the entire fucking play through.
  • Youthist 10 Jan 2020 11:25:17 13,994 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did they launch DLC with the second playable character on PS4 yet? I havent looked since I completed it pretty shortly after launch (great game too).
  • wuntyate 10 Jan 2020 11:43:33 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun Yeah it's bizarre. Everything is greyed out and I've barely thought of making anything as there's no point in trying. Some things don't get explained very well at all either. Unless I missed some info, I didn't realise having multiple instances of the same shard made it stronger. I kept selling all my duplicates until I found that out.
  • Youthist 10 Jan 2020 11:50:51 13,994 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Getting the yellow shards to level 9 then creates that skill as a permanant skill that can be turned on, freeing you up to engage another yellow skill shard.

And yes getting any shard levelled up (both rank and grade) makes a huge differnce to certain shards.
  • wuntyate 10 Jan 2020 12:59:56 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's the rank / upgrade thing that still confuses me as well tbh... Does paying to level them up increase the damage and collecting more increase the duration / whatever it says in the shard description? Or the other way around?
  • richarddavies 10 Jan 2020 15:04:42 7,012 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Funnily enough I started playing this again yesterday and I'm just coming up to the train now. Hard to come back to at first. I made the mistake of playing about 5 hours worth 3 months ago then got distracted and did other things. By the time I've come back I couldn't remember where anything was on the map or what abilities I had and where they were useful. Still if you like the Metroidvania type games theres not alot to grumble about with this really.
  • nickthegun 10 Jan 2020 15:07:31 79,779 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    It's the rank / upgrade thing that still confuses me as well tbh... Does paying to level them up increase the damage and collecting more increase the duration / whatever it says in the shard description? Or the other way around?
    It depends. I used the throwing knives shard for a lot of the game and upgrades increase damage and number of knives thrown.

If you upgrade familiars, they do more damage and gain more moves.
  • richarddavies 10 Jan 2020 15:13:52 7,012 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh and cant believe I've only just clicked Zangetsu is David Hayter/Solid snake!
  • nickthegun 10 Jan 2020 15:17:19 79,779 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Zangetsu really should have been the main guy.

Stupid anime waifus
  • wuntyate 11 Jan 2020 11:47:46 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ended up not even meeting the last boss as I wandered towards the cathedral and noticed a place I could mirror bounce to. Just killed bloodless and have a shard that, if my hunch is right, may allow me to drain that fountain.

Edited by wuntyate at 11:48:06 11-01-2020
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2020 12:46:34 79,779 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Congrats. Im genuinely embarrassed at how long it took me to figure that out.
  • wuntyate 11 Jan 2020 13:15:31 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's rare for me. Honestly.
  • wuntyate 11 Jan 2020 15:05:00 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bludgeoned Alfred so I can walk underwater and now I'm in another secret lab! Still only done 66%!! Mental.
  • wuntyate 14 Jan 2020 09:41:53 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nearly done. I must confess to quickly looking at a guide at one point to see how to access other parts of the map. I wouldn't have figured out the aegis armour or attacking the moon with a certain sword myself so I'm glad I checked. Just at what I presume to be the final boss now Dominique but I've left the optional ones alone. Just crafted Durandal so that coupled with the fact I've maxed out my greatsword into a constant passive skill means I hope I can make relatively short work of her as my attack rating is around 200 now. My tactics with bosses has basically been to tank them with potions and a million paintings circling me. We'll see. Think I'm on about 98% of the map. I should probably have a better attempt at the optional bosses and finish the 8-bit area but don't know if I can actually be arsed. It's been great but I'm pretty much at the done stage.

I did enjoy the ninja race though.
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2020 09:48:07 79,779 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shes probably easier than zangetsu. I resorted to hiding on the ceiling, spraying him with acid and running around until the effect wore off. I tried not to tank any boss because the cost of healing items is ridiculous.

Took about 10 minutes to chip his health away in probably the cheesiest fashion ever.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:49:14 14-01-2020
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2020 09:48:31 79,779 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I also cheesed the butcher, to be fair.
  • wuntyate 14 Jan 2020 10:01:13 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bizarrely I managed to defeat Zangetsu first go but I was jumping about like an idiot not quite knowing what I was doing.
  • quadfather 14 Jan 2020 10:12:23 35,503 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's good going. I struggled like fuck with the twat.

And it took me ages to do the fountain too :)
  • wuntyate 14 Jan 2020 10:15:28 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dragons and the bloody Doppelganger took me ages. My familiar is quite strong and with all the paintings and my levelled up lightning blast thing I can inflict quite a bit of damage quickly so it seems to get me buy if I can stay alive long enough. Plus the aforementioned greatsword shard coupled with the library book that makes me attack faster means I'm swinging this greatsword about like a maniac.
  • richarddavies 14 Jan 2020 14:28:41 7,012 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just did the Doppleganger myself, but it took me quite a few tries. Tried going straight into the inferno caves but getting my arse kicked and don't have any potions or food. Think I need to teleport back and re stock.
  • wuntyate 14 Jan 2020 14:42:01 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aye the inferno caves are a bit painful.

Just finished it off on my lunchbreak. May go back at a later date and finish off the optional bosses and get the last few % of map but I'm done for now as was starting to get a bit of fatigue.

All in all, great. Really enjoyed it and a nice updated SotN. Some really good boss fights and locations.
  • richarddavies 16 Jan 2020 16:19:38 7,012 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bloodstained is making me its bitch a bit. I'm working my way through the oriental sorcery lab and I'm just scraping through, begging for a save spot or teleport. I cant even get through a room or two without needing a high potion and it's not like you can stock many to begin with.
  • wuntyate 16 Jan 2020 16:22:31 13,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @richarddavies That's probably one of the hardest areas in the game tbh. I was the same the few times I went through. Only two other areas I found to be just as or more difficult.
  • Youthist 16 Jan 2020 17:14:12 13,994 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It can be a tricky area but if you have some high level defensive shards it protects you massively. The stone hydra heads are really strong as are the spinning books. It might be that you need to come back out and focus on grinding a bit.
  • richarddavies 18 Jan 2020 11:59:32 7,012 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finished it this morning. Thought it was a fantastic game overall. Shame it didn't sell better than it did.
    Don't feel like I'm quite finished with it either, still need to beat the 8 bit boss and try and initiate the OD (Dracule) boss. Only just found out as well, the voice actor for OD is the guy who voiced Alucard in Symphony of the night. So many great little touches.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.