New Gorillaz Page 3

• Deleted user 10 March 2010 17:57:30
    Bremenacht wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    They are amazing live Brem. All though it was all seated in Manchester and the security wouldn't let people dance, or even stand! Absolutely brilliant night though.

They look set to be on a pretty big world tour though this year, starting with the Coachella festival in the US, then over here later.
    Excellent :)
    What made you think they were a kids band anyway?
  • Deleted user 10 March 2010 22:09:22
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    They are amazing live Brem. All though it was all seated in Manchester and the security wouldn't let people dance, or even stand! Absolutely brilliant night though.

They look set to be on a pretty big world tour though this year, starting with the Coachella festival in the US, then over here later.
    Excellent :)
    What made you think they were a kids band anyway?
    Cartoon characters + lots of kids liking them.

I also thought 'The Simpsons' was a kids programme, for a shamefully long time.

:/
  • mal 10 Mar 2010 22:35:39 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It was, for a long time. Then it started to be more about Homer and it grew up a bit.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Mar 2010 22:37:23 26,671 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rubbish. The Simpsons was never aimed at children alone.
  • TheStylishHobo 10 Mar 2010 23:26:16 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:

+1

Utter bollocks.
  • mal 11 Mar 2010 00:29:20 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TheStylishHobo wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:

+1

Utter bollocks.

Fair enough, but it was marketed as a kids cartoon for the first few years of its life. And the focus of the stories was on Bart in the beginning.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Mar 2010 00:33:45 26,671 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, it wasn't. It started with pretty gritty shorts on The Tracy Ullman Show, which was pretty much aimed at adults.

Anyway, no matter as this is a Goeillaz thread. :)
  • coolbritannia 11 Mar 2010 00:40:20 1,339 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was about 10 when the simpsons took off, I very much remember it being definitely aimed at kids. That's not to say it wasn't aimed at adults too, but there was a lit of merchandise in the early 90's aimed at kids like me. Simpsons NES FTW innit. :)
  • coolbritannia 11 Mar 2010 00:56:47 1,339 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well kids dictate tv habits for many households. Probably how many adults discovered the simpsons in the first place. I preferred it when it was actually about family issues you could recognise, y'know, like when your dad flies into space, or steals a pilots uniform to get in an officers bar.
  • Toonster 11 Mar 2010 01:00:51 6,908 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Superfast Jelly is fargin' brilliant
  • BinaryBob101 11 Mar 2010 15:19:06 26,671 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon it's the next single. It's on the first billboard the car smashes through in Stylo.
  • meggsy 11 Mar 2010 15:20:07 1,627 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Got this album on a loop now, can't get enough of it.
  • Kay 11 Mar 2010 15:40:45 19,929 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    People still care about single releases?

'Broken' is absolutely lovely, my favourite song on the album atm. The album as a whole seems to have more standouts than Demon Days, for me.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Mar 2010 16:31:28 26,671 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    I reckon it's the next single. It's on the first billboard the car smashes through in Stylo.

Sweepstakes is also mentioned.

Yeah, when the cop car crashes, innit. With the phantom thing.

Surely, that can't be a single. It sounds like a psychopathic merry-go-round.

Kay, no they don't, but I think it's interesting picking what could be a single release off this album.
  • Kay 11 Mar 2010 16:34:43 19,929 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    According to the wiki the singles have already been decided - Superfast Jellyfish, and then On Melancholy Hill - so I couldn't understand why it was still up for debate.
  • jellyhead 16 Mar 2010 11:50:34 24,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My 'Experience Edition' turned up over the weekend and i keep forgetting to go to the site and put the code in. Gah :(

Great album, much preferred over Demon Days.
  • mal 16 Mar 2010 12:16:17 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Now I like Electric Avenue as much as the next man, but while Stylo does sound like it's influenced heavily by this, I wouldn't call it plagiarism, and I'm pretty sure you definitely can't call it breach of copyright.
  • Flightrisker 16 Mar 2010 12:22:47 18,139 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It was perhaps aimed at kids by the UK TV networks that aired it (I seem to remember the BBC put it out at 5:30pm on a Saturday night in the early 90s), but it was never produced as a kids show.

I remember the early Simpsons (with the awful animation) having some pretty dark/realistic stories. Marge considering having an affair with the bowler guy - LOLzzzzzzz kids love that shit.

If anything it started dark but kids watched it cos it was a cartoon, went clever and was appreciated by all while being marketed (outside of the show itself) as kids and then just became pandering common denominator comedy.

But yeah Gorillaz is pretty good.
  • BinaryBob101 16 Mar 2010 13:28:31 26,671 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Eddy Grant is not happy

Here is the song. I can see where he's coming from, but they're not similar enough to be considered plagiarism. Perhaps an influence though.

Screw Eddy Grant! That is a great tune though.
  • BinaryBob101 16 Mar 2010 14:46:50 26,671 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As their album sits at the top of the ITunes chart in the UK and the USA Gorillaz have announced they will open up rehearsals to audiences around the UK.

The band will be performing in a handful of small venues. Obviously these venues cant fit in the full Gorillaz production... but the lucky few with tickets will see the band rehearse ahead of their headline show at Coachella in April.

The Dates
    21st March - Portsmouth Wedgwood
    22nd March - Bristol Trinity
    23rd March - Cambridge Junction
    25th March - Brighton Old Market
    26th March- Birmingham Irish Centre
    27th March - Lincoln Engine Shed

Tickets are available to G Club members and selling fast. To find out how to join and for all the latest news go to http://www.gorillaz.com

These smaller venues will be awesome. It costs to join the club though. Looks like they'll be touring larger sheds this time, maybe stadiums?
  • HarryPalmer 16 Mar 2010 14:52:07 5,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The bristol tickets can be bought by anyone, don't have to be a member of G Club.
  • kincaide 16 Mar 2010 14:57:30 5,067 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bah - Portsmouth already sold out ....
  • Toonster 17 Mar 2010 10:03:26 6,908 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Superfast Jellyfish is probably my favorite song on the album. Not usually a huge fan of rap, but I just love how upbeat it is (though ironically, the underlying message is incredibly satirical).

White Flag is also great; orchestra starts it off and then all of a sudden, there's the insane calypso-beat. It's a very unusual but satisfying combination.

Album does slow down in the second half a little though. Broken, Sweepstakes and Glitter Freeze are, IMO, quite forgettable. I was also disappointed by the Lou Reed track. It's good, but I wish the song was a little more fleshed out.

Stylo, Up on Melancholy, Empire Ants, Cloud of Unknowing and the title track are all very good. Rhinstone Eyes is an unusual track, but strangely addictive.
  • localnotail 22 Mar 2010 14:23:43 23,072 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plastic Beach is set to arrive in Camden as the music of Gorillaz is performed over two nights at London's Roundhouse on Thursday 29th and Friday 30th April.

These are the first Gorillaz shows in London since the Forum show in 2001 and the first full UK performance since Demon Days Live at the Manchester Opera House in 2005.

The music of Gorillaz will be played by Damon Albarn, Bashy, De La Soul, Mick Jones, Kano, Little Dragon, Mos Def, National Orchestra for Arabic Music, Gruff Rhys, Shaun Ryder, Paul Simonon and Bobby Womack.

With songs from all 3 albums (Gorillaz, Demon Days and Plastic Beach) the Roundhouse dates will include full production, featuring video animation, artwork and film by Jamie Hewlett.

Damon Albarn, Paul Simonon and Mick Jones, amongst others are currently playing live rehearsals to members of the Gorillaz fan club. The first show was in Portsmouth last night they also play Bristol, Trinity, Cambridge, Brighton, Birmingham and Lincoln.

The announced dates are as follows:

Thu 29 April Roundhouse, London
    Fri 30 April Roundhouse, London

Tickets are 45 and will be on sale in-person at the Roundhouse from 9am on Friday, 26th March.
  • LockeTribal 22 Mar 2010 14:25:52 4,708 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Toonster wrote:
    Rhinstone Eyes is an unusual track, but strangely addictive.

I was thinking this myself! Didn't really like it after the first listen, but it gets better every time you hear it and I've had it stuck in my head for the last week.

Really good album overall though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.