Following DOOM (2016) Page 80

• GarlVinland 21 Jul 2017 11:29:44 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone tried out the overhauled multiplayer? If the SP is so good, surely the ingredients are there to make MP great too? Haven't tried it myself, it's a huge download...
  • Jim_Dix 21 Jul 2017 11:48:17 442 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @GarlVinland Single player was developed in house at Bethesda. Multiplayer was farmed out. It was a very old school arena shooter compared to what is contemporary today. Though it does use loadouts rather than in-map procurement of weapons. At the time literally everyone was starting with a rocket launcher as I recall and if you didn't choose to you were handicapping yourself massively.

As I read it what they've done is revised the progression system for the (cosmetic) unlocks, and made the content packs free. It isn't a change to the core gameplay, but someone may correct me on that. Of that extra content I haven't played most of it, but I remember the first Demon add-on (Stalker, Crawler, something like that) seemed outrageously OP when I faced it.

And yes it is an enormous download. All the updates for DOOM have been hefty.
  • minky-kong 21 Jul 2017 11:50:48 13,807 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jim_Dix wrote:
    And yes it is an enormous download. All the updates for DOOM have been hefty.
    I think ID are just terrible at compressing files properly. Both Wolfenstein games take up an alarmingly large amount of my hard drive as well.
  • Dombat 21 Jul 2017 13:33:51 1,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I played half of the campaign but traded it in as I hit a wall struggling with the controller.

Decided to pick it up again given the price and the MP overhaul and removal of DLC paywall.

I did like the classic feel of the MP but didn't give it a proper chance. I'm more likely to now all maps are included for everyone.

Maybe the download will finish before the weekend ends.
  • SomaticSense 21 Jul 2017 13:51:52 15,112 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Honestly, I'd be happier if the 'overhauled MP' patch instead just seperated the SP and MP stuff as their own d/l files. 70+gb because of patches and DLC for a mode I'll never touch is ridiculous and unreasonable.

I'd rather that than the free content.

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:53:03 21-07-2017
  • Dombat 21 Jul 2017 14:09:32 1,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SomaticSense Yeah, can't argue with that. Especially on consoles with limited built in storage.
  • Sharz 21 Jul 2017 17:08:43 1,823 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's the size that stops me having it installed. I'm on PC so space isn't an issue but I just don't want 90gb taken up by a single game that I dip into now and then.

Even MMOs arnt that big and I don't mind it when they take up stupid amounts due to the time spent in the worlds. How a shooter can be so big I have no idea.
  • Ror 21 Jul 2017 17:26:14 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Halo 5 is 90-odd GB as well. Crazy.

I nabbed an XBO copy of this last night on ShopTo for a tenner and was looking forward to getting stuck in this weekend - it's been on my to-buy list for a while - but I realised today that it's supposed to receive a One X patch. I might just wait for that now.

It'll probably be about 140GB by then!

Edited by Ror at 17:26:43 21-07-2017
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Jul 2017 18:11:41 31,802 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This game is well worth the 60gbs or so. Best shooter this gen. I speak the truth.
  • Dombat 21 Jul 2017 20:07:29 1,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not a big issue for me personally as I have a 1TB external HDD connected to my Xbox that I haven't yet got close to filling and wouldn't use for anything else.
  • Ror 21 Jul 2017 20:30:34 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got a 2TB external, but I decided to be silly one day and just install fucking everything to it. Because why not.

Because I eventually ran out of space, is why not.
  • JiveHound 21 Jul 2017 21:33:32 9,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have 4.5tb capacity so far and I'm at 90% full.

:o

Edited by JiveHound at 21:33:59 21-07-2017
  • GarlVinland 24 Jul 2017 10:02:21 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played some MP over the weekend, just to try it out. Sad to say it's pretty rubbish. There's no character to it and the maps are uniformly awful. Seriously, who thought making one of them neon pink and green was a good idea?

That's a good chunk of my hard drive I won't get back until I finish the SP.
  • wuntyphyve 24 Jul 2017 10:59:54 10,582 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Weird, I did the same and I fucking loved it. I thought the maps were fantastic with some bloody brilliant design to them - both visually and structurally (or however you spell it). It's also fast as fuck and really good fun. hadn't played it for ages and think I'll go back to it regularly as I don't seem to be completely shite at it.
  • GarlVinland 24 Jul 2017 11:14:33 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting, I may need to give it another go, must have missed something. I did like the old school power-ups and the demon transformations, gives it a little something shooters don't have these days.

To be fair, I'm coming off the back of Titanfall 2, which is as modern as shooters get, this is resolutely the opposite, in a good way.
  • wuntyphyve 24 Jul 2017 11:28:47 10,582 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah man have a few more plays see if it clicks. I wasn't too keen at first but really like it now. The double jumping and mantling really open the levels up. Couple that with demon runes, spawning BFGs, Gauss Rifles etc and glory kills on opponents low on health and it gets really frantic. Just stick to Team Deathmatch or standard Deathmatch. Don't bother with the other modes (although some are not too bad).

Not played Titanfall 2 so can't compare but it will be quite a different kettle of fish.

Main main gripe initially was the restricted loadouts but weirdly I quite like it now as I'm really learning how to maximise effectiveness with my two chosen weapons.

The main trick is keeping an eye on the runes / special weapons / powerups that spawn in. Either because you can nab one or because everyone makes a beeline when they appear so you can grab some kills around that spot.

It does make me hanker after more SP DLC though. Some of the maps are just bloody beautiful. The gardens one (whatever it's called) in particular. I keep getting gibbed as I take time to gaze off at the prettyness around me.

Oh, and grabbing a rune to become the hunter demon thing and leaping about the map slamming opponents into walls til they become bloodied chunks of stew won't get old fast.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 11:33:06 24-07-2017
  • GarlVinland 24 Jul 2017 13:11:30 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I'll definitely give it another try, had some good moments with it. Had one match where my whole team dropped out, leaving me at 1v3 and the score very lopsided, but then snagged a Baron of Hell rune and managed to use the momentum to drag it almost back to parity. It's definitely old school which takes some getting used to but I can see where there's fun to be had.

But gotta finish SP first. Spoiled for FPS choice this past year, with this, TF2 and Overwatch. The genre is having a moment after finally getting over CoD.
  • wuntyphyve 24 Jul 2017 15:09:56 10,582 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's also bots for practice mode (yay for bots). Which is nice. They are silly but good for learning maps / loadouts etc... And on normal they don't bother going for powerups so you can practice with all the different demons when the runes drop.
  • GarlVinland 14 Aug 2017 09:48:51 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any ideas what this one contains? Couldn't find any information on new patches since the big multiplayer revamp a few weeks ago.

My potato internet is taking a hammering every time they drop one of these, sorely tempted to just uninstall it until I get round to playing the damn thing. 26GB for a nondescript patch is insane!
  • solidsneek 14 Aug 2017 10:55:59 598 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How is dooms multiplayer??
  • GarlVinland 14 Aug 2017 12:39:08 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @solidsneek I played it for an hour after the big overhaul and wasn't keen on it, but it definitely has its own flavour. The demon runes and power ups are interesting, but otherwise I didn't find much else that stood out. Plus some elements of the presentation I thought were poor, like the UI and some of the map design. Mostly because one is neon pink and green, which I found an eyesore. I'll come back to it again at some point though, probably when I get round to playing the SP.

To be fair I was deep into Titanfall 2 MP at the time, which I think is the apex of FPS MP, so that may have skewed my opinion.
  • Dgzter 14 Aug 2017 13:09:16 2,383 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've certainly been a bit more sympathetic to the MP on PC now that they've finally amalgamated both SP and MP clients - used to be you had to start the game in SP, select MP, which would shut that client down and then load a fresh one. Sounds stupid, but this REALLY annoyed me and ultimately put me off giving it any sort of time.

The MP isn't great, but I've had a bit more fun with it recently. Quake Champions beta is scratching that particular itch for me at the moment, however, so no idea if I'll persevere.

The SP is absolutely amazing though - unbelievably cathartic. They did a fantastic job.
  • SomaticSense 14 Aug 2017 14:29:16 15,112 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd still have it on my PS4's HDD just for impromptu demon slaying if they'd have seperated the stupidly storage space hungry MP from it entirely tbh.

Edited by SomaticSense at 14:29:43 14-08-2017
  • FuzzyDucky 14 Aug 2017 14:59:16 3,294 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Any ideas what this one contains? Couldn't find any information on new patches since the big multiplayer revamp a few weeks ago.

My potato internet is taking a hammering every time they drop one of these, sorely tempted to just uninstall it until I get round to playing the damn thing. 26GB for a nondescript patch is insane!
    Yep it's fucking nuts.

I have it up to date with the previous patch, it runs beautifully on PS4 and I have no interest in multiplayer, so I may just leave it as is.

Still, the footprint is something like 75Gb (which is impressive for a game that shipped on a 50Gb Blueray!) on my hard drive, easily the biggest game on there.
  • Duffking 14 Aug 2017 15:39:46 15,748 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky if it's the same as the recent PC patch it might actually end up reducing your install size quite a lot
  • Cath4rsis 14 Aug 2017 15:44:13 123 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did a fresh install last week and the download needed was around 30gb.
  • Dgzter 14 Aug 2017 15:48:25 2,383 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, assuming it's the same as the PC, the patch ended up shaving a considerably amount of GBs off my install.

Well worth it if you are going to bother keeping it installed, I'd say.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Aug 2017 16:46:01 13,002 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it the update that contains the previously paid-for MP DLC? That might explain it
  • GarlVinland 14 Aug 2017 16:51:57 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I downloaded that one last month, so if it's just dropped it must be something different. For 26GB, I would expect some substantial DLC, but if it's shaving the install size down that's good too. Would be nice to get something new though for all that waiting...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.