Following DOOM (2016) Page 81

• Darth_Flibble 14 Aug 2017 19:32:19 3,215 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In MP mode its crap how so much is locked behind levels because "call of duty does it".
  • DrStrangelove 14 Aug 2017 22:52:11 13,346 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My logic tells me that to make the game smaller, you would have to upload data, not download
  • Duffking 14 Aug 2017 23:10:21 15,937 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, nah. You're generally just replacing files, so they're just better optimised and compressed versions of what's already there. Replace 100 1mb files with 100 0.9mb files and you've saved 10mb.
  • SomaticSense 15 Aug 2017 08:52:09 15,062 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wait. Is this shaving of the install size just the PC version, or all versions?
  • Deleted user 15 August 2017 09:45:15
    I didn't get an update yesterday, on PS4. Didn't check the install size though, not sure if it might be the same update as a few weeks back? Haven't seen mention of a big update incoming otherwise.
  • solidsneek 16 Aug 2017 09:24:43 763 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thinking of getting this tonight I hear its incredibly hard?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 16 Aug 2017 09:31:12 17,134 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You hear wrong.
  • solidsneek 16 Aug 2017 09:32:02 763 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    You hear wrong.
    Ah ok.

Will pick it up tonight does it have a story line per say or more of an arcade feel?
  • minky-kong 16 Aug 2017 09:34:22 14,045 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not particularly hard, you just have to play it with a different mindset to most other modern shooters, i.e. when low on health you can't hide behind a waist high wall until it recharges, you need to keep moving and get in close to execute dazed enemies to top up your health.
  • solidsneek 16 Aug 2017 09:43:29 763 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    does it have a story or more arcade waves?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 16 Aug 2017 09:46:31 17,134 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yes
  • Deleted user 16 August 2017 10:37:28
    @solidsneek At the first sign of story Doomguy punches the screen trying to talk to him, and that's as much as I remember getting.
  • Mekanik 16 Aug 2017 18:06:02 4,677 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    solidsneek wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    You hear wrong.
    Ah ok.

Will pick it up tonight does it have a story line per say or more of an arcade feel?
    You can set it from easy (like, piddling easy) to super hard (which I would call just a bit tough, once you've played it through once and got used to the weapons).

Regardless its great. Think ive finished the story mode 4 or 5 times now and had a wee dabble with arcade modes as well.
  • DrStrangelove 16 Aug 2017 18:12:39 13,346 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can always set your difficulty. I found ultra-violence needlessly frustrating in later stages, but on lower difficulties it's well doable.
  • ChiefGB 21 Aug 2017 17:51:44 9,752 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Here's a strange thing, just attempted to reinstall this on PS4 (it is a harddrive hog inc it's regular early patches, saw me uninstall for space, anyway). I put the disc in, it spins up to install inc trigger of patch download, then I get "an error has occurred" popup, the machine acts like it's not in the drive (thumbnail disappears) and the patch disappears from my notifications. It's now done this twice and not much else.

Anyone else had this happen? I have 127gb free on my hard drive (although I know On PS4 that counts for little) is it just shitting the bed because it's become even more of a hd hog? Incidentally how much is the imprint for this game these days?
  • ChiefGB 21 Aug 2017 18:36:52 9,752 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I rebooted and it installed from the disc but not the patch. Closer inspection of the fail notification this time told me I needed another 13gb. Removed disc and deleted. A friend did suggest two things though. I'm on beta 5.0 so maybe it's a placeholder warning. Also does the fail notification usually tell you how much you need? Seem to remember that was something that disappeared. Maybe it's back?
  • Bichii 28 Aug 2017 21:44:10 820 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've got to say this is one of the best games I've owned on ps4. Just playing through on nightmare after not playing it since last year. It's fps bliss.
  • Skirlasvoud 29 Sep 2017 14:00:50 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just finished the campaign. Have to admit that I thought the action was a slog at times (I'm just not much for shooters), but I really enjoyed the storyline in unexpected ways. Not only is DOOM-guy a pretty enjoyable character, but I like the mythos they painted of an aeon old unstoppable wrecking ball for demons.

Also, VEGA was pretty cool, wasn't he?

The moment Hayden talked about shutting down VEGA, I spend the entire level expecting the AI to turn on us, like any good dystopian AI would. I felt a pang of sadness destroying his cooling, but I'd though that was just setting me up towards the inevitable twist. His circuitry overheating: THAT'S the step that'll cause him to go haywire on me.

Up until the VERY last minute, stuck in the creepy AI core, I kept watching my back for a giant metal arm to come in, or for VEGA to release a horde of cyberdemons.

In the end, nope. VEGA really was the most helpful, reliable and trustworthy character in the entire game, going as far as being willing to sacrifice himself to stop the demons. I felt a genuine pang of regret.

I was SO psyched that Doom-Guy thought the same and downloaded a VEGA back-up in the last minute. Next DOOM will have VEGA be Doom-Guy's Cortana and release him from his prison. I could go for a side-kick who is just as single-minded and practical towards stopping demons.

More games could learn from DOOM's fun-loving, minimalistic take on world building and character introduction.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 14:51:23 29-09-2017
  • DrStrangelove 29 Sep 2017 14:30:32 13,346 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You enjoyed Doom not for action, but for story...? That sounds almost as weird as not inverting Y
  • Ror 29 Sep 2017 14:32:43 17,877 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well that all seems very spoilery.
  • Skirlasvoud 29 Sep 2017 14:43:14 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ror

Right you are! Put up the spoiler tags now.
  • Ror 29 Sep 2017 14:45:10 17,877 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good man :)

I know that Doom kind of makes a point of putting its story to the background and letting the action speak for itself (well, so far as I know - I've only played the opening level, then decided to wait for the One X patch), but I'd prefer to go in as blind as possible. Thanks!
  • Skirlasvoud 29 Sep 2017 14:50:47 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Not the story per say, but the atmosphere. It's kinda hard to explain.

I wouldn't play it JUST for the action, no. I think killing zone after killing zone, interspersed by bland corridors wouldn't do it for me. I've begun to realize with Mass Effect's take on shooting, that I need a little more brains in the affair. I consider fighting just an obstacle.
    For doom, the story itself also isn't good enough either.

The entire world - as a narrative in itself - is what's enjoyable to me. It's the action COMBINED with the setting, the attitude, the gaming mechanics, the ye-olde cheese, the spelunking, the toys and the tension.

I'd be able to ramble on how cool I thought the Siege Gun and mini-gun too, or how the challenges are little puzzles, but I just thought that part of the story was a slightly more memorable stand-out moment in the game.

It all came together just SO well, despite me not immediately taking to the old-fashioned shooter part.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 14:55:51 29-09-2017
  • urban 9 Oct 2017 11:51:39 13,052 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Has anyone posted this? It's amazing! properly clever way of doing the visualiser
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Mar 2018 11:46:16 5,844 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just seen this listed as ‘Xbox One X Enhanced’ on the Xbox Store......no updates when I check the game itself though?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 28 Mar 2018 11:55:35 32,207 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not enhanced yet, but is due an update "soon", which hopefully means it'll actually be soon.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.