Following DOOM (2016) Page 85

• Bichii 12 Mar 2020 08:57:06 2,876 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jesus, wunty aren't you the weirdo who prefers ds2 and now you saying doom was boring. :). I can only assume you played it on too low a difficulty. The game is a beautiful ballet of violence and blood on the hardest setting.
  • wuntyate 12 Mar 2020 09:07:19 14,501 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pfff please. I don't do shit on easy. Did it on hard. Like I say I quite liked it first time around but then it was really dull. It plays too much like a string of arena encounters with platforming inbetween. I've seen nothing from Eternal that makes me think it will engage me any more so it's one to grab when cheap.

I prefer Doom 3.
  • Bichii 12 Mar 2020 09:08:30 2,876 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Doom 3 was immense, why anyone would use the patch that kept the torch on is a mystery to me.
  • wuntyate 12 Mar 2020 09:11:30 14,501 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I loved that you had to swap between the torch and your weapon.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Mar 2020 09:12:22 12,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The really long and boring audio disks made it for me.
  • wuntyate 12 Mar 2020 09:15:39 14,501 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That was the fashion at the time. Every damn game was doing it. Tedious to say the least. Even replaying System Shock 2 these days I can't be arsed listening to the audio logs.
  • creepiest-lizard 12 Mar 2020 09:41:06 1,169 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got Doom 3 recently as it was a couple of quid. I genuinely hated it. Enemies that spawn out of nowhere and hit before you have a chance to react? No bloody thanks.
  • HookJaw 12 Mar 2020 09:45:47 298 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    That was the fashion at the time. Every damn game was doing it. Tedious to say the least. Even replaying System Shock 2 these days I can't be arsed listening to the audio logs.
    Bioshock Infinite takes the idea to foolish extremes. There's over 80 to collect and they're hidden. After listening to the first few my mind just switches off. They're too short to be truly informative, and they're too far apart and sporadic to be memorable in terms of story continuity.

The idea of audio logs needs to die a death - unless they're impactful or meaningful- ie if they're in TLOU2 where you find one or two voice recordings of someone's last words who perished in the fungal outbreak then that could be impactful. If there are over 80 recordings to collect, each within a different context then it can do one. Ain't nobody got time for that.

PS As a side note, if this virus really kicks off and most of us perish then I can assure you that my own voice recording will be worth listening to. Please mourn me :(
  • wuntyate 12 Mar 2020 09:52:23 14,501 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Got Doom 3 recently as it was a couple of quid. I genuinely hated it. Enemies that spawn out of nowhere and hit before you have a chance to react? No bloody thanks.
    Yeah it wasn't for everyone, hence it's reputation. I loved the atmosphere of it though.
  • creepiest-lizard 12 Mar 2020 09:57:24 1,169 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wuntyate
    The atmosphere was great. It was just the combat that was annoying for me. Enemies just popping out of cupboards or appearing from dead ends I was just in. I think that was alot to do with its age though.
  • HookJaw 13 Mar 2020 11:19:04 298 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    @wuntyate
    The atmosphere was great. It was just the combat that was annoying for me. Enemies just popping out of cupboards or appearing from dead ends I was just in. I think that was alot to do with its age though.
    I just started it this morning. 1hr15 in...and it's....fucking terrible. Like....one of the worst games you'll ever play kind of terrible.
    Negatives:
    - terrible gun play (older games were far better: Medal of Honor, Rainbow Six, Half Life, to name a few)
    - inconsistent weapon damage: the shotgun will take anywhere from 1-3 shots to kill the same enemy types
    - Enemy AI amounts to running at you and firing point blank at you until one of you dies
    - Level design: so far, it's just one giant series of tight corridors. Gone are the open and varied levels of the original Doom games. It leaves no room for any approach to combat beyond point and shoot until the enemy drops. No strafing, no super fast circling of swarms of enemies. Nope, just stand and shoot. Rinse and repeat.
    - No consistency to how enemies appear. They literally just pop up at random places and start trying the kill you. This is unforgivable. It's genuinely the absolute nadir of game design. Appallingly bad.
    - The story is largely told through audio logs. This can fuck off.
    - The game is dark. Too dark to know where the fuck you are half the time. You have a torch that lasts maybe 20 seconds before you need to recharge it. This doesn't create tension or fear. It simply slows the game down so you advance a few paces, stop to recharge and then advance some more. Rinse and repeat.
    - The sound effects are shit. We're talking 16bit era crap. Enemies sounds laughably bad with their "too-weak-to-fart" groans. The guns sound shit.

Pros.
    - The graphics were probably pretty good for the time.
    - The lighting effects were obviously pretty good for the time.

Overall.... it's awful.

Edited by HookJaw at 11:20:04 13-03-2020
  • Bichii 13 Mar 2020 11:22:38 2,876 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jesus Christ can we G.I?

Just everything about the post is face palm, especially inconsistent damage. Durr, maybe take into account distance to target and the four damage zones on the target.
  • HookJaw 13 Mar 2020 11:31:40 298 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Jesus Christ can we G.I?

Just everything about the post is face palm, especially inconsistent damage. Durr, maybe take into account distance to target and the four damage zones on the target.
    It's shite! Like, literally has no redeeming features. The shotgun spread is wholly unrealistic. I shot my reflection in the mirror from a couple of feet away and some of the spread was outside of my reflection. The shotgun is central to Doom, yet in Doom 3 they have made it a misery to use beyond 10 feet.

Conversely, I'm also playing Duke Nukem 3D and it's a vastly more enjoyable game in terms of gunplay and level design.

Doom 3 just fails on so many levels. It needs to be incised from the legacy and sent back to Hell where it firmly belongs :lol:
  • Bichii 13 Mar 2020 11:34:46 2,876 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You are talking about 3? I thought doom 2016?

Doom 3 is still amazing though and I'm not sure doom is the correct game to worry about realistic shotgun spread.
  • HookJaw 13 Mar 2020 11:42:33 298 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Bichii wrote:
    You are talking about 3? I thought doom 2016?

Doom 3 is still amazing though and I'm not sure doom is the correct game to worry about realistic shotgun spread.
    No, Doom 3. Doom 2016 is an absolute masterpiece by comparison.
    In terms of realism of weapons, you would at least expect something as generic as a shotgun (especially with it being central to the early Doom games) to follow a sense of consistency. Nerfing it to the point of being almost unusable from beyond 10-15 feet is disappointing. In the original Doom games it was a beast, a joy to use. Doom 3 removed that sense of fun.
  • wuntyate 13 Mar 2020 11:58:50 14,501 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @HookJaw See the funny thing is it's hard to argue with your list of negatives. Yet I still think it's just fabby.
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2020 11:59:37 81,347 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I hated Doom 3, too. It would have been OKish if you could keep your torch up all the time but it was just survival horror made by people who didnt understand what made survival horror fun.
  • HookJaw 13 Mar 2020 12:58:27 298 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @HookJaw See the funny thing is it's hard to argue with your list of negatives. Yet I still think it's just fabby.
    That's fair enough, man. We like what we like. When did you first play it and on what platform?
  • wuntyate 13 Mar 2020 13:07:51 14,501 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @HookJaw PC on release, then Xbox, then 360, then PS4. :p

As I say. I can't argue with it's detractors, just that ultimately I feel differently and still prefer it to 2016 Doom. Hell, I love Raven's Quake 4 as well.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Mar 2020 13:13:04 18,791 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I hated Doom 3, too. It would have been OKish if you could keep your torch up all the time but it was just survival horror made by people who didnt understand what made survival horror fun.
    Have to agree with this. I was so excited for this and remember buying more memory for it with my copy. I got pissed off by the umpteen time an imp appeared from behind me in a secret wall.
  • cov 13 Mar 2020 13:15:14 2,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Im with wunt and i also prefer it to last doom and i also liked q4

Played d3 on pc, xbox and mac version multiple times

Luv it - particularly original flashlight

I can see why others might not - but they are wrong.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Mar 2020 13:17:18 18,791 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your face is wrong.

Edit: fucking autocorrect

Edited by JamboWayOh at 13:23:08 13-03-2020
  • wuntyate 13 Mar 2020 13:20:07 14,501 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Your you're is wrong
  • Malek86 13 Mar 2020 13:44:50 10,025 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @HookJaw PC on release, then Xbox, then 360, then PS4. :p

As I say. I can't argue with it's detractors, just that ultimately I feel differently and still prefer it to 2016 Doom. Hell, I love Raven's Quake 4 as well.
    You lost me
  • cov 13 Mar 2020 13:45:07 2,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well to be fair we are living in an age where down is up and everything is wrong
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Mar 2020 13:48:52 8,401 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hey, I liked Quake 4! A couple of the later levels turned into a bit of a chore, but it was a good, fun singleplayer campaign overall.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Mar 2020 13:49:47 18,791 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was alright. Last boss can do one though.
  • Malek86 13 Mar 2020 14:10:47 10,025 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hold Raven's Quake 4 on more or less the same regard as Raven's Wolfenstein, which is to say "forgettingly average".

In many ways, that's even worse than a bad game. At least I remember bad games. I forgot all about Quake 4 and Wolfenstein 2009 already.

Edited by Malek86 at 14:11:00 13-03-2020
  • wuntyate 13 Mar 2020 14:12:55 14,501 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oooh I loved their Wolfenstein.

And singularity. Dammit i wish they'd get it off that CoD shit and go back to doing these types of games.

Edited by wuntyate at 14:15:09 13-03-2020
  • TechnoHippy 13 Mar 2020 14:17:40 17,011 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I replayed Doom 3 recently and while I enjoyed it, it felt more like a survival horror game than the frenzied action of the original games. Great atmosphere though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.