Dark Souls 3 Page 446

• Bichii 19 Sep 2020 09:12:33 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Time for yet another re roll!! \o/ praise thy sun.

I've never done the dlc, any sexy weapons in there that I could focus my build on? How quickly can I access it?
  • Graxlar_v3 19 Sep 2020 09:16:13 10,673 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Time for yet another re roll!! \o/ praise thy sun.

I've never done the dlc, any sexy weapons in there that I could focus my build on? How quickly can I access it?
    There is a lightsaber 👍 dunno how good it is as a weapon though and it is in the first area of the last dlc
  • hedben2013 19 Sep 2020 15:47:47 1,778 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Crap I really need to finish this. Every Souls game's gone the same for me- BEST GAME EVAR until it all gets a bit much and I get sidetracked into something less intense. Only made it as far as Cathedral of the Deep in DS3 but I played about 30 hours, dread to think how long a full playthrough will be
  • docrob 19 Sep 2020 16:31:59 1,683 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Crap I really need to finish this. Every Souls game's gone the same for me- BEST GAME EVAR until it all gets a bit much and I get sidetracked into something less intense. Only made it as far as Cathedral of the Deep in DS3 but I played about 30 hours, dread to think how long a full playthrough will be
    Yep - much my experience too! DS3 was the first one I actually finished. Got nowhere with DeS, got stuck on Capra Demon in DS1 (made it a fair bit further in the Remastered version) and got stuck at the Shadows of Yharnham in BB. Never attempted DS2. My son, on the other hand, beat DS1 aged13 and now literally completes it for fun trying out different builds.
  • hedben2013 19 Sep 2020 17:08:17 1,778 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha, glad I'm not the only one. It's not so much the difficulty, I steamrolled through O&S in DS1 with a fairly high levelled STR build and Tower Shield before abandoning in Demon Ruins. It's the need for concentration- after a few evenings in a row on a Souls game I'm just ready for something I can zone out to, and because I'm such a floozy for games I don't always come back after the break
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Oct 2020 20:18:50 6,873 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Righto, advice sought.

Currently done everything up to Prince Lothric fight, bar DLC. Sitting at Lv69 in Firelink with 160k souls and debating whether to level up further or not. Googled recommended levels state a 70 cap for NG, but I doubt I'll be playing again soon.

Level up (and possibly knacker summons) or stay put at 69 ?
  • wuntyate 27 Oct 2020 21:38:48 16,022 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I always ignore levelling advice and just level to what feels right tbh. The payer base will have dried up a bit regardless but there will still be the odd summon around. Case in point. I'm level 170 in the DS2 DLC, with a souls memory that is, quite frankly, mental, yet there are summons around my range even now.

I was way higher than 70 when I finished DS3 and there were summons everywhere.
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Oct 2020 22:26:50 6,873 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmmm, might just tank up then. Summons have been steady so far, but nobody around for Dragonslayer Armour or Oceiros as the last two bosses. Then again, nobody's been as good as the dual katana fella that rinsed Dancer while I mostly kited.

Never played it at launch because of the Bloodborne influence, and the playthrough I watched (Galm iirc ?) showed a lot of cheese from enemies, but it's been an okay ride so far. Think the gank trio above the Archives has been the most annoying thing so far, countered by my own cheese, when I realised they won't climb ladders......
  • Rodderz 8 Nov 2020 16:20:57 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Some of these areas in Ringed City, whilst looking rather nice, are a complete ballache with the enemies. I've made it to the swamp area and there's loads of nasty shit going on here; giant bugmen literally trying to eat my character for lunch with some sort of magic cutlery, those giant dudes who can summon an entire phantom line of archers, those fat undead knights, the knights with the funky glowing ring armour(I'm using the chest piece myself now!) and weapons that can automagically set on fire, those crawling mages who can summon some sort of damaging sigil wherever you're standing, even outside of line of sight, and finally some giant armoured twat who looks a little like Ornstein but huge and who wields some kind of electrified scythe.....

"Enemy ahead, in other words, you bastard!!!"
  • Rodderz 9 Nov 2020 22:31:03 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Darkeater Midir.... Fucking hell. There's two bosses I'm fighting here half the time, one is Midir and the other is the camera. I might have to leave it eventually, it's just so bloody ridiculous. Or perhaps I need something tougher than my Dex build, I dunno?? At least it is optional!
  • puddleduck 10 Nov 2020 02:13:02 1,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rodderz I spent a long time learning Midir's moves and eventually it makes sense.

I respecced and used specific gear just to give myself the best chance and it was also definitely easier solo because you can sort if manage the moves that get used. But fuck me did I die and give up multiple times before I finally did it.
  • wuntyate 10 Nov 2020 06:43:49 16,022 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodderz he's an utter bastard. It took me four solid hours to beat him and I swore I'd never fight him again. Iirc there's one particular attack I tried to bait but can't honestly remember.
  • Lotos8ter 10 Nov 2020 09:24:30 3,036 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I’ve platinum on DS3 and still haven’t beaten Midir. Got it close once and then got killed and never went back to that fight.
    Might fire this up again with a new character. For me it doesn’t hit the heights of DS1 but it avoids the completely shit ‘bed o’ chaos’ type stuff too.
  • Rodderz 10 Nov 2020 11:20:12 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I left Midir for the time being, he's an absolute twat. I got close(r) on one run using my +10 Sharp Washing Pole, but got caught out by the swiping double bite animation which causes the camera to go a bit nuts when locked on to the head, damn 😔. I just wish there was a bonfire in the little Chapel outside the hole down to him, instead of having to run back. Every. damn. time.

I went and did the Halflight Spear of the Church fight instead, which took me 4 tries. It was bloody awesome though, as I realised during the first fight that the boss was another bloody player! Had an epic 10 minute back and forth battle there but unfortunately for me the player controlled bosses can heal that health bar right up again...

The second player controlled fight I totally screwed up myself by getting stun locked and then dying to one of the shrine maiden AI adds, bummer! Still, I was using maxed out 'Sharp' Crow Talons which are glorious, especially when you dual-wield and land the frightening special attack. It was fun to notice the other players backing off a fair bit, as I don't think they see many people using those types of unconventional weapons. On the third and then successful fourth attempt the game just beamed in the AI version of Halflight, so it was way easier whilst not being as much fun.

My character is parked up at the bonfire in the church now and I think I must be a good way through the dlc now.

Edited by Rodderz at 11:20:53 10-11-2020
  • wuntyate 10 Nov 2020 12:12:37 16,022 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodderz You are, yes. Something awesome is just around the corner...
  • Rodderz 10 Nov 2020 12:29:43 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyate

Oh really! Some armour? A weapon perhaps!? Or something less pleasant...? I guess I'll find out 😀
  • Rodderz 11 Nov 2020 22:13:44 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    \o/ Yeeessss, Slave Knight Gael defeated! I was surprised it was him at the very end of it all! That was one tough fight though and I lost count of the number of attempts trying a few different weapons, but it must have been at least 15-20. My heart is in my mouth, that was seriously intense and exhilarating!

I used my 'Sharp' Crow Quills+10 thrusting sword, which did decent damage, plus poison resin which helped in the early part of the fight to chip away at his health. Damn was he aggressive near the end. Great fight! As far as I can tell, that's it for the Ringed City dlc!

Midir is still down in his lair and I'll probably have another crack at him, but he may have to remain where he is as the mechanics and camera of that fight can be annoyingly awkward.
  • wuntyate 11 Nov 2020 22:45:04 16,022 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nine one! He's fucking brilliant isn't he?
  • puddleduck 11 Nov 2020 23:06:02 1,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rodderz it's a fight where at times using lock-on is more trouble than it's worth. I went and respecced so I had enough health to survive and having the fastest roll and most iframes combined with best possible armour resistances for his attacks.

Staying in front of him and trying to do as much damage to his head as possible is key. If it helps, the last bit of his health bar is actually just a free visceral attack you get once you've done enough head damage.

And if you have a weapon that either does pure physical or lightning that's a good start. But fuck me that was many hours of pain before I realised I was getting him learnt.

Edited by puddleduck at 23:07:30 11-11-2020
  • Rodderz 11 Nov 2020 23:16:52 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @puddleduck

Gawd, I'm getting my arse handed to me by Midir, bloody hell. Absolute c-nut. I'm hitting that head of his, but he's sneaky as he doesn't telegraph his moves all that well. One minute he charges forward, or does a side swipe, or a double swiping bite attack and its all massive damage.

I've at least got a Dragon Crest Shield with high fire resistance, plus Flash Sweat pyro skill, so that helps! That's useful info about the health bar, there's just the small problem that I haven't got close to the lower scale of it yet 😀
  • puddleduck 11 Nov 2020 23:30:10 1,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rodderz So it's mostly one or two hits and backing up to just in front of him to bait his bites and swipes. His flying fire attack is a shit but running away from him diagonally will eventually become second nature and you basically can be ready to hit him again. His fire attack where he nukes the floor, just run back then come in for a running leaping attack.

Genuinely one of the hardest bosses I've ever killed and required me watching a video of someone who destroys him for me to use as a template. Safe to say my version isn't as smooth as theirs 😂

Edited by puddleduck at 23:31:53 11-11-2020
  • puddleduck 11 Nov 2020 23:39:02 1,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is the video that at least told me it was possible 😂

https://youtu.be/H-Ksf8_rW38
  • Rodderz 12 Nov 2020 00:40:15 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @puddleduck

Thanks for the vid. I've tried and tried and tried but I'm getting no luck 😵, so I've given up for now.

Even if I'm doing ok, I always reach the point where the camera goes haywire and I lose track of his attacks, which is when I get wiped out. Dammit! Might have to admit defeat on this one...
  • Ddanno 12 Nov 2020 07:32:30 1,724 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rodderz Are you locking onto him? Don't.
  • wuntyate 12 Nov 2020 09:46:14 16,022 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodderz I'm not honestly sure he's worth killing... He's far to much grief for what he drops.

Yeah, also, don't lock on. Never lock on to the big boys, it's not worth it.

Edited by wuntyate at 09:46:44 12-11-2020
  • wuntyate 12 Nov 2020 09:47:40 16,022 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, my Dark Souls obsessed offspring has now as of last night just battered the Pontiff. First try. He's at bloody Aldrich now and he's only 12 hours in. I feel so inadequate.
  • Rodderz 12 Nov 2020 11:06:25 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Ddanno @wuntyate

Yep, I've done both locked and unlocked, the git still wastes me in the end 😂. As wunty says, it ultimately may not be worth it but that'd be the only boss I've never defeated. Hell, even Sword Saint Isshin from Sekiro went down in the end thanks to the run-o-matic5000™ technique.
  • wuntyate 12 Nov 2020 11:28:12 16,022 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodderz Yeah I can understand you wanting to do him in. He is, for me, one of the hardest bosses in the whole soulsbornekiro series. Orphan of Kos went down quicker, as did Isshin and Demon of Hatred. He is a massive fanny basically.
  • Rodderz 13 Nov 2020 23:20:16 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I've finally beat that fire breathing, dark laser spewing fucker Midir. I can hardly type my hands are shaking so much. I almost, almost fucked it up right near the end, I was absolutely bricking it.

Praise the goddam sun \o/
  • wuntyate 13 Nov 2020 23:32:48 16,022 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha ha. Fucking good one man. I know that feeling!! The "Midir's fucking dead" feeling!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.