Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection Page 14

• Malek86 6 Feb 2016 19:28:01 10,179 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd argue that UC3 is much worse than UC2.5. That would imply it's actually an improvement on UC2, which it isn't. Floatier gunplay, crappy platforming where you can't understand what jump you are supposed to do next, still almost endless enemy waves, the story and new characters are terrible, and the final levels are beyond anticlimax. And don't get me started on the real annoying set pieces (who thought up the ship and desert combat sections? They are terrible).

Even Sullivan's banter with Drake starts to get old by that point. For UC4 they better shake things up a lot. At this point, even UC2.5 wouldn't cut it anymore.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:31:08 06-02-2016
  • SomaticSense 6 Feb 2016 19:46:15 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    UC3 felt to me like UC2 but with more archaic level design when it wasn't throwing set pieces at you, and a bigger reliance on old third-person shooter tropes (armoured shotty guys, sniper alleys, and respawning waves).

Less Uncharted 2.5, and more Uncharted 2003 PS2 Retro Edition.
  • eshy76 8 Feb 2016 23:40:29 190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played through all 3 in the last month for the first time since my PS3 days. UC1 is vastly improved at 60 fps and UC2 is still sublime and one of my favourite games ever (even though the gunplay and cover mechanics have definitely aged).

I remember not liking UC3 anywhere near as much as UC2 all those years ago, but could not put my finger on why. UC3 is graphically a step up, with some great set pieces...but the difference between UC3 and UC2 was clear to me this time around - it is definitely the writing.

UC3's dialogue just played it way too straight compared to UC2, which I thought was genuinely funny with some great banter between Drake and whoever his companion was at the time. This banter was entirely missing in UC3 and as a result it was just a technically accomplished A to B cover shooter, rather than a fun adventure like number 2 was. Also the story seemed to hang together better in 2 than in 3, where set pieces seemed to be more shoehorned in.

The clincher for me was the final cutscene in UC3 which I thought was dull and unengaging. Compare this to the lovely piece of dialogue at the end of UC2 which was just one of my favourite ever endings. I could watch so many of the UC2 cutscenes over again, but there is not really one memorable one from UC3 to my mind.

I think the ND team behind UC4 is the one behind UC2 (they skipped UC3 to work on TLOU), so my hopes are very high for a return to form.

Sorry for the lengthy post...

Edited by eshy76 at 23:41:16 08-02-2016

Edited by eshy76 at 00:16:55 09-02-2016
  • Paulanator 23 Feb 2016 00:51:18 618 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have finally gotten around to starting this and I honestly don't remember UC1 being so combat heavy. About three quaters of the way through and there have been precious few puzzles but endless waves of goons to deal with. You enter a room/courtyard, see a selection of guns and crates to take cover behind and away you go with another firefight, sometimes mere seconds from the last such encounter.

Not to say that I'm not enjoying it up to a point mind you, and it looks/plays very nicely indeed thanks to the folks at Bluepoint. Definitely looking forward to revisiting 2.

Edited by Paulanator at 00:52:04 23-02-2016
  • jamesi 23 Feb 2016 23:16:56 308 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having loved uncharted on vita thought i would give this a go, and have to say it's a really incredible remaster, and i've only played first one so far, and even that seems amazing.It's so fluid and those vids/streams i seen beforehand don't really do it justice.

Edited by jamesi at 23:17:59 23-02-2016
  • killersrquiet 23 Feb 2016 23:26:25 3,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've finished all 3 recently and I can get why it's a highly regarded series. Bluepoint did an excellent job as per usual.
  • greg_wha 25 Apr 2016 16:18:29 1,382 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ControlledChaos Hard frustrated the hell out of me, so Crushing must be bad.
  • X201 25 Apr 2016 17:05:29 20,702 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ControlledChaos Crushing on 1 is far harder than Crushing on the other two.

Well done for getting past the plane crash, I couldn't :(
  • cs96and 9 Jun 2016 13:13:56 222 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished the pirate boat section on U3 last night. Jesus, some of the combat in that was a slog. I don't know why anyone would bother to play these games on Hard or Crushing, I find them hard enough on Normal most of the time.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2020 11:56:59 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Playing UC2 from the collection at the moment. I had completed all the games years ago on ps3. While not thinking they were the second coming I always thought they were fine.

But Jebus I forgot how much of a slog the shooting gallery sections are. They are totally over the top and drawn out, even on normal.

Why on earth anyone would get any enjoyment out of "crushing" mode, I will never know.

I will say it has very good writing and humour, which is the main reason I'm continuing on. It has aged better than the original (which I didn't really enjoy revisiting) but not by a great deal.

I'm at chapter 21 so nearing the end.
  • Bichii 28 May 2020 11:59:47 3,179 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Way better cover and shooting mechanics than gears of war though....
  • Ror 28 May 2020 12:02:21 20,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    But Jebus I forgot how much of a slog the shooting gallery sections are. They are totally over the top and drawn out, even on normal.
    This is my abiding memory of Uncharted 2. Combat arenas where they send wave after wave after wave of enemies at you. Then, when you think the game designers are actually insane, they send another couple of waves. And then some shotgun goons.

It took me three months to finish 2.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2020 12:02:59 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Bichii

Behave revan
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2020 12:08:38 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    This is my abiding memory of Uncharted 2. Combat arenas where they send wave after wave after wave of enemies at you. Then, when you think the game designers are actually insane, they send another couple of waves. And then some shotgun goons.

Indeed mate
    What should give the game away is that so many Trophies are weapon based and none apart from a couple of Speed ones are based around the campaign, most peculiar.
  • smoothpete 28 May 2020 12:12:19 37,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's a lot more fun on Easy for this reason.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2020 12:14:26 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @smoothpete
    Agree, I will likely do so (from normal) just to see the game (story)out.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2020 12:16:07 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    You know the very strong link between this and (the superior) Gears ?

The delicious Claudia Black.
  • Ror 28 May 2020 12:16:43 20,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

Also: the fact that Uncharted 1 lifted Gears' cover system wholesale.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2020 12:18:38 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Ror
    That is a given mate, also MF biceps are wider than Drake's waist ;)
  • Ror 28 May 2020 12:25:28 20,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 And Marcus would tuck his shirt fully in.
  • Derblington 28 May 2020 12:36:55 33,438 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:

Indeed mate
    What should give the game away is that so many Trophies are weapon based and none apart from a couple of Speed ones are based around the campaign, most peculiar.
    There are trophies for every difficulty in the Uncharted games, so it's entirely possible to play multiple runs with different weapon foci. Players tend to min/max though.
  • Derblington 28 May 2020 12:37:48 33,438 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

And Gears lifted it wholesale from Kill.Switch.
  • JamboWayOh 28 May 2020 12:44:46 20,059 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FIGHT FIGHT
  • JamboWayOh 28 May 2020 12:47:45 20,059 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

And Gears lifted it wholesale from Kill.Switch.
    Also Kill. Switch lifted that from Operation Winback if we're being really alpha nerd here.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 May 2020 12:53:00 20,087 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I replayed a bit of 4 recently to see the sexy graphics on my new telly. Unpopular opinion I suspect, but I think all the Uncharted games are a touch on the overrated side. The set pieces are AMAZING but beyond those parts itís all a bit repetitive and uninspiring.
  • Derblington 28 May 2020 12:54:58 33,438 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JamboWayOh Nope. Other games had used cover shooting but Kill.Switch was the first to build the game around it, and it introduced the blind-fire.
  • Ror 28 May 2020 12:55:47 20,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure Kill.Switch was a big inspiration on Gears, but Uncharted 1's cover system works identically to Gears 1.

I'm not saying they need to be raked over the coals for it or anything - games are all very iterative, after all - it just stood out very obviously at the time.
  • Derblington 28 May 2020 12:56:38 33,438 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal I don't think it's that unpopular in terms of gameplay structure alone, the exact conversation is happening in the TLoUPt2 thread.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.