Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection Page 15

Next Last
  • Derblington 28 May 2020 12:59:54 33,438 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kill.Switch is the basis for Gears - it's literally 1:1. It's cited as "inspiration" but they actually hired the dude that worked on the mechanics for the previous game.
    Gears gets all the credit because people don't seem to be very aware of Kill.Switch.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 28 May 2020 13:06:35 25,655 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I replayed a bit of 4 recently to see the sexy graphics on my new telly. Unpopular opinion I suspect, but I think all the Uncharted games are a touch on the overrated side. The set pieces are AMAZING but beyond those parts itís all a bit repetitive and uninspiring.
    I played through 4 recently and found it pretty boring until they got to the island. Things improved greatly from there though. The other ones I can take or leave really. I don't even really understand the plaudits it gets for the characters and the "bants" they have.
  • Ror 28 May 2020 13:06:59 20,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fair point, I had forgotten that the designer from Kill.Switch went to Epic, I do remember reading that years back.

And yeah, I never played it, but I had looked at gameplay around the time it came out. Can you move round, dive out of, or vault cover while you're in it? I don't remember ever seeing that. I always had it in my mind that Gears took inspiration and added to it, whereas Uncharted DF basically plays exactly the same. A Naughty Dog designer even said they changed everything within six months after Gears came out:

"Uncharted 1 was announced, and then Gears [of War] came out," Pope says. "And Gears invented the modern third-person shooter." Naughty Dog had originally begun its work on Uncharted with more of a Tomb Raider control system, Pope says, which meant more auto-rolling and auto-aiming. "Suddenly, Gears came out and showed them how to do it. So we changed everything, six months before release."
  • DUFFMAN5 30 May 2020 07:37:51 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finished 2 this morning. Overall it was ok, however as I said earlier far too many protracted gun fights. Really hurts the flow.
    6.5/10
  • Bichii 30 May 2020 07:44:47 3,179 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I played the games on PS4 as I never had the PS3. Love them all but 2 was a touch over rated. Uc4 is AMAZING and anyone who says different is just wrong!
  • DUFFMAN5 30 May 2020 09:05:50 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Bichii
    Morning revan.
    I played all games on ps3 (well the ones that were on that console) I know 2 gets the most love and maybe that is right, I think I had the most fun with 3 though.

Moving on, 4 is indeed a great game as is the stand alone dlc game.

I think much like Rockstar gets heaps of praise for its worlds but also rightly gets shite for its controls. ND get praise for many aspects of their games including some great and humorous dialog, but only a fool would defend their lack of mastery when it comes to the shooting aspect. All the UC games suffer with this.

Wave upon wave upon wave of "bad guys" and total bullet sponges EVEN on the "easier" skill levels.

Anyway I may jump directly into 3 or leave for a bit!

post script: One thing the UC games (I think other ND game also) gets right is the bonus features. Bravo for that.
  • Nanocrystal 30 May 2020 10:05:46 2,134 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UC4 at least had generous snap-lock targetting on easy, which made the combat somewhat enjoyable.
  • Duffking 30 May 2020 12:35:09 16,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Great for the grand total of 3 combat encounters in the game.

I replayed them all last year and while 3 was originally my least favourite these days I'd say it's the best as despite the story being naff it's the only one that has decent pacing throughout. 2 is particularly tiresome by the end and 4 is just endless walking and climbing with no challenge.

Edited by Duffking at 12:36:25 30-05-2020
  • Ror 30 May 2020 14:35:33 20,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I mentioned earlier in the thread that 2 took me months to get through (I meant it - I'd play a bit then leave it for days, sometimes weeks), but 3 I finished in four days. Pacing was much better.
  • Derblington 30 May 2020 14:40:00 33,438 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I did every game except the first in one sitting on launch day.
    /shrug
  • Phattso 30 May 2020 14:41:25 25,492 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I still think Lost Legacy is the best distillation of the formula the prior four games established. Didnít overstay itís welcome, wasnít short of character, wasnít short on spectacle. Aside from one or two spikes in difficulty, I thought it was amazing end-to-end.
  • Phattso 30 May 2020 14:42:24 25,492 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    /shrug
    Surely there arenít enough hours in one day to do 4?! The walkie talkie bits alone amount to about seven fucking years! :-D
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 May 2020 14:45:18 33,025 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Haven't played Lost Legacy, but from 1-4 I thought they each got progressively worse. 4 just seemed to drag on forever. The first one is a cracking romp.
  • Kay 30 May 2020 15:08:16 20,632 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought the general consensus was that 2 was a massive step-up from the first? I played them back to back a few years ago (on PS3), and it took me ages to get through 1 as it felt so repetitive and shooty. 2 had a lot more variety, with the feel of a globetrotting matinee adventure. It's still shallow as fuck, but was much more of a spectacle.
  • Ror 30 May 2020 15:10:53 20,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I started the Lost Legacy the other day. Only a couple of hours in, but it does feel a bit pacier.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 May 2020 15:11:27 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Kay
    It is still incredibly "shooty" as for the first game, that has aged awfully for me. To be fair I didn't have that much more fun with 2, but it is definitely a step up.

Just to confirm played both, well all 3 on ps3 and now on ps4.
  • Kay 30 May 2020 15:16:52 20,632 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    To be fair, I think I played them around the time TLOU came out, so I can imagine that they would have dated even more now. But even then the set-pieces of 2 stood out for me.

Anyway, they also both paled in comparison to TLOU, even if it was obviously a completely different tone and style.
  • Derblington 30 May 2020 16:40:21 33,438 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    /shrug
    Surely there arenít enough hours in one day to do 4?! The walkie talkie bits alone amount to about seven fucking years! :-D
    Started at 9am-ish and finished up sometime early morning the next day. Stopped for meals and little breaks but it was about 16 hours I think.
  • Scimarad 30 May 2020 17:00:39 9,756 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Good lord, why would you do that to yourself?! I love the Uncharted games but I couldn't do one of them in one sitting.
  • Derblington 30 May 2020 18:27:19 33,438 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well, because I like them, obviously. Iím not suggesting anyone need do it.
  • Bambot 30 May 2020 19:06:06 1,837 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    Way better cover and shooting mechanics than gears of war though....
    You know the very strong link between this and (the superior) Gears ?

The delicious Claudia Black.
    Also: the fact that Uncharted 1 lifted Gears' cover system wholesale.
    And Gears lifted it wholesale from Kill.Switch.
    Also Kill. Switch lifted that from Operation Winback if we're being really alpha nerd here.
    And that game's creator?

Alfred Einstein.
  • Phattso 30 May 2020 19:08:24 25,492 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Well, because I like them, obviously. Iím not suggesting anyone need do it.
    Aye, to each their own. I did that with Mass Effect 2 and 3. Probably the most hyped I've been for games releases. Fallout 3 before that. Baldur's Gate 2 before that. Nothing else since ME3, though.

I think I enjoy the anticipation too much anyways. Like with RDR2 at the moment (well, until my One X assploded) I'd be thinking about where I could carve a few hours out of my day to get back in that world. :)
  • Bambot 30 May 2020 19:11:34 1,837 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never played an Uncharted game but got this on PS Plus I think. Any good then? Or are the older ones playing a bit dated even if they have got fancier graphics?
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Jun 2020 10:14:38 26,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So I completed Uncharted 3 this morning and thus have replayed the original trilogy for the first time in years.
    Overall I just about had fun. I ranked them in the 52 weeks/games thread as
    1: 5/10
    2: 6.5/10
    3: 8/10

As for 3 I feel it has aged a good deal better than the previous games. However YET AGAIN the volume of enemies you are expected to fight, really hurts the game and progression.
    The story and characters are great, likewise the humour is still spot on and I really enjoyed that part of the game,It is also the most cinematic of the original trilogy.
    What I did not enjoy is repeating sections time and time again due to afore mention issues with bullet sponge enemies, and sheer volume of "set pieces" (that plague the series) especially in the last third of the game.
    As with the previous games I played on Normal and put down to easy just to get to the end. I do not feel I have missed out on anything, (well except trophies and bonus's) accept lots of additional frustration by playing on the easier settings.
  • X201 11 Jun 2020 11:04:04 20,702 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    Never played an Uncharted game but got this on PS Plus I think. Any good then? Or are the older ones playing a bit dated even if they have got fancier graphics?
    There's a big difference between 1 and 2 & 3
    Play 1 so that you understand the story, but don't let it cloud your judgment of the later games; they are when they've refined everything and got it together.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.