Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection Page 3

• the_milkybar_kid 8 Jun 2015 07:52:02 8,274 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Golden Abyss was pish anyway. Just about as bland as you could get get.
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2015 07:57:24 25,492 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It was nice for diving in and out of with the Vita, but I agree with the poster on the previous page that says it would be shown up on a home console.

I'm not anti-remakes/remasters, and do find myself tempted to play through these again, but if there's nothing better to choose from in the Christmas rush then fuck the PS4 basically. I'd only buy this collection in the absence of anything better and newer.

Edited by Phattso at 07:57:41 08-06-2015
  • mrpon 8 Jun 2015 08:32:43 36,286 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought GA was fabulous. Uncharted in your pocket, basically.
  • dominalien 8 Jun 2015 08:53:53 9,667 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    That's exactly it, though. It was glorious in your pocket. On the PS4... I can already hear the whining how bad it looks in comparison, etc.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 8 Jun 2015 09:05:53 47,498 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I thought it was great, as I was full of anticipation over what other big name games could make the jump over.

That went well :D
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 8 Jun 2015 09:07:51 47,498 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    That's exactly it, though. It was glorious in your pocket. On the PS4... I can already hear the whining how bad it looks in comparison, etc.
    Uncharted's selling point and popularity is 90% it's looks (I mean, who really is playing primarily for it's gameplay or story? :)) so this would definitely happen.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Jun 2015 09:10:44 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @MrTomFTW But GA *looks* fantastic on the Vita, but story and gameplay are a bit shit. :p
  • Sharz 8 Jun 2015 09:57:21 1,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GA is a solid game in my view, sure graphics were one of its selling points on the Vita but so was it's full uncharted gameplay. It very much was more uncharted.

I think it would come off badly when directly compared to Uncharted 2 thourgh, but then again alot of games do.

Edited by Sharz at 09:58:00 08-06-2015
  • Deleted user 8 June 2015 11:43:35
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Uncharted's selling point and popularity is 90% it's looks (I mean, who really is playing primarily for it's gameplay or story? :)) so this would definitely happen.
    I think that's a bit of a disservice to it. Sure, the locales, graphics, characters, etc., are what elevated it, but it was still a great game underneath it.

I think the amount of multiplayer I played (especially on Uncharted 2) is a testament to that fact.
  • nickthegun 8 Jun 2015 11:57:38 82,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    @MrTomFTW But GA *looks* fantastic on the Vita, but story and gameplay are a bit shit. :p
    This, basically. The story is turd, the qte's are awful and murdering the same three people for several hours gets a bit boring.
  • nickthegun 8 Jun 2015 12:01:07 82,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But then, I can't really see why you would want to play through them again if you already had.

UC wasn't that great, UC2 was fantastic but at least an hour and a dozen gun fights too long and UC3 was just a warmed over UC2 but not as good in any department.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 8 Jun 2015 12:01:53 47,498 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @UncleLou That's my point really. It was a "ooh shiny" showcase for the Vita but if they were to put it on the PS4 as part of this collection it would lose that. Especially next to the rest of the games, and with graphics being the main selling point of those games... It would be better if they just temporarily forgot that it exists and leave it out :)
  • minky-kong 8 Jun 2015 12:20:31 14,598 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • minky-kong 8 Jun 2015 12:20:31 14,598 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Golden Abyss was great, the second best Uncharted IMO.
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2015 12:21:01 25,492 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    But then, I can't really see why you would want to play through them again if you already had.
    That's where the word "remaster" makes a little more sense. In the UC games, more than most others, there's an analogue to watching a favourite old movie on Bluray.

In this case, despite thinking UC3 was wank, I think I'd enjoy just pottering through at least the first two games again in HD at 60fps.

But, as I say, literally only if there's fuck all else to be had on the thing this Christmas.
  • nickthegun 8 Jun 2015 12:28:30 82,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's an appropriate comparison because, for me, UC is all about the story and set pieces. Once I've seen them, I'm not really that arsed about seeing them again, even with a fresh lick of paint.

Like.... I dunno... Armageddon. I watched it on VHS and haven't seen it since because even on BR, it's still a bunch of idiots shouting at each other on an asteroid (replace with you least favourite 90s CGI movie).
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2015 12:35:42 25,492 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have the memory of a drink-addled octogenarian, so chances are I've forgotten the set pieces already anyways.
  • LittleSparra 8 Jun 2015 13:03:20 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you loved the games, I guess you'll get it. Like the MCC: I had to have it, even as it turned out to be so borked. I'd played H1 and 3 to death especially, but I still love going through them.

It also turns up little treats: ODST's campaign is less fixed in my memory, so replaying it was fun.
  • nickthegun 8 Jun 2015 13:08:31 82,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For me, Halo would have been one to get if it had worked. The levels are a bit more open, co-op lets you blast through them in different ways and you kind of make your own fun.

UC is *so* cinematic and you are so funnelled, there's just no replay value there for me.
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2015 13:21:34 25,492 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Horses for courses though. I pretty much solely play Destiny on the PS4, so clearly I have no issue with doing exactly the same thing again and again and again and again and again and...
  • Deleted user 8 June 2015 13:27:23
    I've completed each of the (3 main) Uncharted games at least twice. First run of each is like getting to see them in the cinema, second playtrhough was renting when it came out on DVD to watch with mates.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Jun 2015 13:27:26 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I am more or less agreeing with nick as I don't tend to replay this kind of game, but I might not be able to resist if it's a real step up, graphically. I did only ever play them once, mind, and it's been a while...

As I said earlier in this thread, it's particularly the first UC I think I'd like to replay with updated tech.
  • nickthegun 8 Jun 2015 13:29:10 82,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well, yeah, that's kind of my point. It hasn't even got a story!

Anyway, yes, this is definitely a 'for me' qualifier. I can see why people would be all over it.
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2015 13:31:38 25,492 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I doubt it'll unify the engines, although you never know. The first one will still have pish shooting. The second one will still have pish hand to hand. And the third one will still be pish full stop. :)

But I would love to play through the whole story with the iterated-on shooting and fisticuffs will nice visual bells and whistles. I guess that's what Uncharted 4 will be.
  • SomaticSense 8 Jun 2015 13:58:13 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm kind of inbetween the two sentiments tbh.

There's no way this interests me on it's full price launch, but as a 15-20 sale offering in a year's time I'll be all over it.
  • Kichijoten 22 Jul 2015 07:51:59 4,555 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just pre ordered after watching that uc2 video on front page. Do you think that 1 will still be playable? I'm thinking it might be a bit shite now although I believe they are making gameplay tweaks.
  • Malek86 22 Jul 2015 07:59:02 10,179 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I expect to pick this up for half price or something, like the MCC. If they improve the shooting, maybe this time I will actually enjoy UC1.
  • Humperfunk 22 Jul 2015 08:26:30 8,207 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    If they improve the shooting, maybe this time I will actually enjoy UC1.
    Well said. Took me five years of on/off game time to finish it. 2 and 3, amazing but that first game was absolute shite.
  • Derblington 22 Jul 2015 08:50:35 33,438 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    None of them are anything close to "absolute shite". They all sit between 'very good' and 'great'.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Jul 2015 08:55:09 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I can't even remember there was any major difference between the first one and the others in the shooting mechanics, and I played the first two back to back. Can hardly be dramatic.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.