How to find good books to read?

• twelveways 4 Jun 2015 13:03:06 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm not a big reader but I do like to read, especially when I am travelling. My problem is that I never know which books to read. If I was in the UK I would browse in Waterstones or Borders but I'm not, so I am restricted to buying online and there are just too many books :(

Any good book recommendation blogs/sites that you could recommend? I am not really into fantasy or sci-fi.

Cheers
  • twelveways 4 Jun 2015 13:25:37 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Looks good. Cheers!
  • Fab4 4 Jun 2015 13:25:50 8,924 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You could try Amazon. Search for books you have liked and see what others have bought as well as it.
  • RockyMotion 11 Jun 2015 09:58:15 11,754 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The /r/books subreddit is a good place to start. Every day the sub's banner updates with a new list of books that have been mentioned in the weekly recommendations thread.
  • spindle9988 11 Jun 2015 10:01:07 5,157 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There is a good thread on here (rate the last book you read) which I have found loads of good reads on
  • Dougs 11 Jun 2015 10:03:30 95,487 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    There used to be a reference book I used in the library "who else writes like..." where you could look up a favourite author and they would suggest some similar authors. Found loads like that. Must be an online resource now..
  • MrFlay 11 Jun 2015 11:00:55 4,558 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://www.literature-map.com/
  • Dougs 11 Jun 2015 11:04:45 95,487 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nice, ta.
  • JoelStinty 11 Jun 2015 11:48:06 8,982 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah i found rate the last book thread rather good too.

Also, just talking about books with other people should end up with some recommendations.

Stuff you are interested in. For a while i was really into exploration books and pushing the human body and mind - but i think that started with jack kerouac/hunter s thompson. but that led me on to books like che guevara diaries/into the wild which led on to books about a multi continent escape from gulags (The long walk) or famous expeditions such as Captain scott, and the 1953 everest expedition. All a massive range of different types of books, but similar in some regard.

Also reading books that your favourite authors are influenced by or name drop on social media/interviews etc.

Also classics. Well worth reading and searching for best of lists.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Jun 2015 11:54:10 40,158 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Every time I read or hear (newspapers, colleagues, friends, Eurogamer, whatever) something about a book that sounds interesting, I download a kindle sample. I have about 150 now on the Kindle/mobile. Never been in a situation where I don't know what to read ever since.

So,my recommendation is: keep a list for everything you can't read immediately.

And a specific recommendation: Butcher's Crossing, by John Williams (not the composer).
  • MrFlay 11 Jun 2015 12:27:29 4,558 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Amazon's recommendation algorithm is pretty good. Also they have daily and monthly sales where you can pick up interesting books for 99p. They often have stuff I wouldn't think of buying at full price but I can't refuse for 99p.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2015 12:53:38 29,029 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    http://www.literature-map.com/
    That's cool, I typed in Murakami and I've read and liked half the authors on the map, very helpful.
    Thanks!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.