American Impotence?

• Deleted user 20 November 2002 20:42:06
    Faced by energetic competition from ESA (European Space Agency) the Americans have resorted to the desperate strategy of giving themselves a rocket extension. After this difficult and expensive process the public unveling of their rocket is being delayed due to technical difficulties.

While it's possible that a successful modification operation would allow the Americans to launch as big a load as the Europeans, lack of launch experience with this younger model is beginning to show. If the first flight of the Delta 4 ends in a big bang without delivery, it's certain to undermine the relationship between it and the fickle customer.

Customers are always interested in giving virgin equipment a spin, failure to satisfy will doubtless drive them back into the arms of rockets with a proven delivery history, if they want their satellites to arrive on time and intact. This could undermine confidence in the American rocket programme and render it impotent for anything other than satisfying its own market needs.

Source: BBC News Online
  • ssuellid 20 Nov 2002 20:48:24 19,141 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "While it's possible that a successful modification operation would allow the Americans to launch as big a load as the Europeans"

The Lockheed Martin Atlas 5 mentioned in the same article is also American and its capable of launching similar loads to the Arianne 5.
  • Praise-Jesus 20 Nov 2002 21:05:00 41 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    I take the BBC and similar biased 'news' sites with a grain of salt, thank you.
  • Deleted user 20 November 2002 21:21:36
    Ahab wrote:
    your words are ... an interpretation of the article.

It seems everyone's missing the implicit double entendre.
  • ssuellid 20 Nov 2002 21:30:33 19,141 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Not obvious enough for this time in the evening - must be time for a drink.
  • Deleted user 20 November 2002 21:34:32
    ssuellid wrote:
    Not obvious enough for this time in the evening - must be time for a drink.

*snort*

Rocket extensions? Younger model? Big bang? Relationship? Virgin? Satisfying its own market needs?

*snicker*
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 Nov 2002 21:44:29 40,158 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hey, I thought Errol is on your ignore list...
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 20 Nov 2002 21:58:52 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ah more stupid bigotry.
  • Deleted user 20 November 2002 22:11:30
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    ah more stupid bigotry.

Since when has a double entendre been bigotry?

It's not my fault the Americans can't get it up...
  • Praise-Jesus 20 Nov 2002 22:36:09 41 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    feersum, You overdue the europe vs american stuff in your posts...its gettin repetitive.
  • sam_spade 20 Nov 2002 22:49:51 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It is getting a bit wearisome.
  • Fozzie's_bird 21 Nov 2002 09:45:51 81 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    I got the double entendre FB, but then i have a dirty mind.

As for bigotry, don't i seem to recall a certain american having a pop at europeans over the amount of time they have sex a year on this forum?
  • Deleted user 21 November 2002 19:31:31
    Fozzie's_bird wrote:
    I got the double entendre FB, but then i have a dirty mind.

I'm glad you did. It helps prove girls can have a laugh about such things as well as the boys, and they tend to be more observant of subtle things.
  • Khab 21 Nov 2002 20:02:44 6,583 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Geez, guys, he's 'aving a laff, can't you tell? I thought it was great fun... but I AM swedish.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.