Nier: Automata Page 49

• Ror 6 Mar 2020 12:25:54 20,321 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just take your time and realise the saws move in a pattern.

Edited by Ror at 12:26:05 06-03-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Mar 2020 20:03:33 29,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I switched to Easy and made it through so I'm now in the base about to go on the next mission.
    Should I buy anything 1ith my 10,500g?
    Any tips on upgrades/buying/selling?

Cheers
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Mar 2020 20:53:02 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Don't worry too much about buying stuff for now. Advance the plot a bit more then take a look at your gear in a few hours.

That said, any chips that grant you health regen are nice to have as early as possible.
  • Ror 6 Mar 2020 20:58:26 20,321 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pro-tip: remove your OS chip to save on space.

save your game first ;)
  • dominalien 7 Mar 2020 00:00:26 9,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Yeah, health regen and item auto-use are a must and make it much harder to die. I also had an exp boost chip equipped all the time.
  • dominalien 7 Mar 2020 00:02:52 9,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In any case, I did it all tonight. The best game I'd played in a very long time. Combat isn't amazing, but everything else is.

Is it at all possible to get through the final credits on your own? I had to give up after a few dozen tries, I really wasn't getting anywhere.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Mar 2020 00:32:24 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @dominalien Yes, I got through the final credits on my own. Probably right on the try before the prompt appeared.

Probably helped that I'd just been on a massive Bullet Hell shooter spree. A mixture of Cave shooters and Touhou. Compared to those, the sequence in question isn't too bad.
  • dominalien 7 Mar 2020 00:37:45 9,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah, I'm not versed in bullet hell shooters at all. I bow my head humbly in respect of your skill. :-)

That said, just the other day I was talking to someone on another forum I frequent (sacrilege, I know) and they couldn't get past the hacking tower as 9S. Which, while not easy, took me 10 minutes perhaps. So, I'm not the worst. I think.

Edited by dominalien at 00:38:25 07-03-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2020 00:24:48 29,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sigh.
    I thought I was at the end (Religion stuff chapter) but seems not.
    It's very stylish, nice controls, possibly interesting story but it's not a very good video game tbh.
    I'll persevere to finish one play through hopefully but the bullet hell sections nearly had me dumping it.
  • Ror 22 Mar 2020 00:35:50 20,321 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I thought I was at the end...

I'll persevere to finish one play through...
    Oof, not even close.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Mar 2020 00:36:52 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Keep going. Seriously.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2020 00:39:51 29,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck, navigation is shit, the environments are dull and full of invisible wall shit, the only good stuff is the character design and story. Make it end!!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Mar 2020 00:53:59 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear That's more or less how I felt at this point.

This is one of my games of the generation.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2020 17:49:34 29,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, I finished th play through, started the 2nd one playing as 9S but there is no way in hell I'll spend so many hours replaying the game several times when I was so close to rage quitting with one play through, especially one bullet hell section.

I'll watch them on Youtube instead.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Mar 2020 18:02:34 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I'd really stick with it. Route B starts out looking like a straight replay of Route A, but as you get further into it, the divergences get greater. 2B's a combat model and only sees what's in front of her. 9S has a wider perspective.

Then Route C is set after A and B and is different story anyway.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2020 18:07:22 29,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I'd really stick with it. Route B starts out looking like a straight replay of Route A, but as you get further into it, the divergences get greater. 2B's a combat model and only sees what's in front of her. 9S has a wider perspective.

Then Route C is set after A and B and is different story anyway.
    Id happily play Route C but not all the way through B to get to it :(
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Mar 2020 11:59:59 4,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I am surprised no-one has mentioned that it seems Nier Replicant is getting an update for PS4, Xbone and PC. Personally I preferred the idea of the Gestalt version but not played the variant so...

Hopefully this will be followed up by a Drakengard 3 update/all in one version at some point.
  • Humperfunk 29 Mar 2020 14:14:15 8,279 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx phenomenal news. I've played Nier three times through and rate it so highly, I cannot wait for it.

Also hope for a Drakengard collection!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Mar 2020 14:24:10 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Replicant's the version we didn't get in the West previously, isn't it?
  • Ror 29 Mar 2020 14:27:14 20,321 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, Brother NieR.

Sounds like they're changing quite a bit though, almost sounds like a remake/reimagining.

Also, A-tomato is coming to Game Pass.
  • JonFE 3 Aug 2020 11:42:22 2,024 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Started this over the weekend, courtesy of GamePass.

Loving it so far! I enjoy traveling around the world, the changing perspectives and game styles keep things fresh and challenging, the music is absolutely gorgeous and the story is bonkers enough to be interesting :)

Still a long way to go, just opened up free transportation and haven't experimented with any weapons, pods, chips and whatnot :)
  • JoeBlade 3 Aug 2020 11:48:27 5,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I should go back to this really but goodness do I hate the map. Trying to find out where the next quest objective is puts me right off.

A great shame really as I love the style, atmosphere and story.
  • Trafford 3 Aug 2020 11:53:26 8,665 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye the map's a bit unintuitive. The best way is to learn the overworld by heart. It's not that big really and as the game progresses you can slot chips to increase movement speed.
    I do love it, played through the 3 scenarios 3 times now. Keep meaning to go back to mine all the other endings.
  • JoeBlade 3 Aug 2020 12:05:46 5,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Aye the map's a bit unintuitive. The best way is to learn the overworld by heart.
    I have this weird thing whereby I'm either superb at spatial awareness or absolutely terrible (both in games and real life, fortunately I'm usually excellent in the latter case)
    Nier happens to be one I'm horrible at so I'm completely lost without a functional map :(
  • Trafford 3 Aug 2020 13:16:01 8,665 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Trafford wrote:
    Aye the map's a bit unintuitive. The best way is to learn the overworld by heart.
    I have this weird thing whereby I'm either superb at spatial awareness or absolutely terrible (both in games and real life, fortunately I'm usually excellent in the latter case)
    Nier happens to be one I'm horrible at so I'm completely lost without a functional map :(
    No denying it is a turkey of a map. Much like the recent God of War's which I just didn't get along with despite it being pretty, and me spending a lot of time looking at it trying to make sense.

I'm a big cartography fan. I collect maps IRL and agree that a good in game map can make or break a game.
  • JonFE 3 Aug 2020 14:11:59 2,024 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    I'm about to turn 50 and often get pathetically lost at game worlds (wife would argue same for the real world as well), but I'm not getting lost in Nier's world... so far that is :) Hope the trend continues...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Aug 2020 14:31:25 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nier Automata's game world is actually pretty compact. There's a fairly tight core loop, with most of the big areas branching off it. Unfortunately, the map screen is mostly useless and, in particular, doesn't show which routes are navigable. But the only area where you can get seriously off-track is the desert and you don't spend all that much time there.
  • Trafford 3 Aug 2020 14:41:23 8,665 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Red dots/waypoints on the mini map are pretty faithful as well. I always followed them when in doubt.

Having said that, I got terribly lost on the factory level. At one point I managed to simply turn around and head back to the beginning of the level 🙃
  • JoeBlade 3 Aug 2020 14:59:59 5,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Unfortunately, the map screen is mostly useless and, in particular, doesn't show which routes are navigable.
    That's probably where my brain goes off track. I'm used to crisp and clear maps from games like KotOR, Divinity: OS or even Baldur's Gate's where it was pretty obvious where you could and could not go at a glance. I reckon I'm hard-wired to switching between a map and the game proper to get around.

In Nier I find myself running into walls all the time. And don't get me started on the underground bits (which don't show at all on the map)
  • JonFE 8 Aug 2020 14:59:27 2,024 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Quick question to the experts here: is it crucial to upgrade my weapons/pod or even get new ones? Just finished the castle in the forest and so far I've only upgraded one weapon once...

Edited by JonFE at 15:00:00 08-08-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.