Sea of Thieves Page 42

• DjFlex52 29 Mar 2018 20:13:35 338 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    DjFlex52 wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Itís not about being positive or negative, Iíd actually like to know.
    But they donít tell us so we have zero idea.
    If they did tell numbers, you'd put a negative spin on that anyway...lol. We know you're not fond of the game so it seems whenever someone says they enjoy it, you're quick to tell them why they shouldn't. ;)
    I do like it, I just want more to do. The core co-op nature is a lot of fun, it's everything around it that needs some work.
    Keep trying though.
    I only had to "try" once since I got you to actually say something positive about the game without a "but", "not", "couldn't", "shouldn't" and "didn't" in your comment. :D
  • Derblington 29 Mar 2018 20:40:02 34,780 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Its ok to like something and be aware of its flaws, you goon.
  • bladdard 29 Mar 2018 20:47:20 1,393 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @barchetta mine did the same but a reboot sorted it, obviously you've rebooted in the last few days so i can't help ... sorry. 😟

If it makes you feel any better I tried solo but it was too hard and I tried a crew of randoms and they were all dicks who didn't play as a crew which was a bit like cat herding.... you're probably better off as you are.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMW8VYb_GE

Edited by bladdard at 20:48:26 29-03-2018
  • DjFlex52 29 Mar 2018 23:35:12 338 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Its ok to like something and be aware of its flaws, you goon.
    Now we resort to name calling...childish at best :(

Edit: With you we have to be aware of its flaws, ad nauseam.

Edited by DjFlex52 at 23:38:17 29-03-2018
  • barchetta 30 Mar 2018 04:01:53 3,174 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @bladdard Finally got it working following online chat and intervention by Msoft. They had to wait for the 19GB d/l but then tidied up my store settings and I just spent the last couple of hours soloing on a sloop. Only saw 1 other ship - a galleon - but kept it at arms length. Returned 4 chests too. Made some quick dashes past the galleon for fun! Bailing out, repairing and steering is quite a handful on your own but lived to sail another day.

Edited by barchetta at 04:03:29 30-03-2018
  • 1Dgaf 2 Apr 2018 01:32:08 5,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Turned off auto-renew on the game pass and don't intend to resubscribe yet. Not enough game underneath the atmosphere.
  • Deleted user 2 April 2018 03:51:15
    First time playing.

A few thoughts. Firstly, loving being liberated from HUDs, more on that later but can't be overstated how integral it is to the experience. It's much more immersive as a result. Graphics are sumptious, it's a great world to be in.

What's with those voice overs? Flies in the face of the overall slickness and professionalism.

Love the little details like being able to extinguish all lanterns. Very cool, very Master And Commander and it seems like it could actually be effective considering the sophistication of the lighting systems. It's all so tactile and rewards fiddling. I'm just messing around in a sloop and having a nice time. Those sunsets! It beats our eternal winter.

So, I'm very won over with regards the broad strokes, it just remains to be seen what game is there once initial impressions turn to 'living with'. This was always my biggest concern and it does seem slight initially but that could mainly be down to lack of preamble. The post release grievances have been pretty loud regarding the lack of things to do. Hopefully they'll build in terms of thinking of a Pirate's day to day rather than just lists of things to collect. It feels like it has the bare necessities of an excellent pirate simulator. It could definitely be built on. All those parley shenigans and not acquiescing art requests need roleplaying the shit out of.

What this game does feel like is the most important Rare game for a good while, and in turn it's suggesting MS are starting to try to diversify and properly invest in titles going forwards. State of Decay is now getting that bigger budget it deserved in the first place, the release list is looking like more than the usual suspects although Crackdown continues to make cynics of us all. This has obviously had money spent on it -voice work nonwithstanding- hopefully they'll pull a Ubisoft and not a Bungie in terms of turning around lack of content post launch.

I am intrigued enough to give it some effort. I commited to allocating a slot in THE TEN so I have to. I hope at least it's a sign of games coming that tell you more through world than through hud. Dat is progress gentlemen. HUD is too often a crutch. The discovery is often the game.

Anyway, enough stoned rambling.
  • mangojoe 2 Apr 2018 09:58:36 2,526 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played this last night with a good mate who I don't get to game with very often now due to kids etc. For a game that's not got much content we were on it for 6 hours and not had that much fun since probably the first Crackdown game. I'm sure there is at least another couple of sessions like that in it and I hope they add some decent content . We were in fits of tears playing it.
  • Ror 2 Apr 2018 12:16:38 20,322 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    What's with those voice overs? Flies in the face of the overall slickness and professionalism.
    They're all Rare staffers, I think.
  • ChiefGB 2 Apr 2018 16:22:57 13,611 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So isn't it about time they started announcing what's next, seeing as those 2 weeks testers of gamepass must be subsiding. Be interested to hear how many people are still playing the game?
  • barchetta 3 Apr 2018 11:39:31 3,174 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    They're all Rare staffers, I think.

What surprised/disappointed me more was the fact that most of their responses are text only.... OK for a cartridge game but a few more lines of dialogue were surely worth doing. I know the player interects with text prompts and so it looks consistent, but feels like too much compromise..
  • shamblemonkee 3 Apr 2018 12:38:13 17,967 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I love and hate the purity.

+The simple act of sailing as a team is engaging (to a point)
    +It's great that I can engage in PvP with no risk if my ship is empty. Even if my ship is laden it's only points toward cosmetics lost

-It's infuriating that there's no systems attached to griefing and having a reputation [similar to how EVE does this side of things]
    - it's sometimes hard not to think what's the point - beyond "it was pretty fun"

The flimsy scaffolds definitely need some structure behind them pretty soon and the initial direction will be interesting to see.

Hopefully it is not along the lines of "5 more shantys and now the kraken rewards a random chest" although that would be a start. Whether they go more PvE or PvP.
  • shamblemonkee 3 Apr 2018 13:00:59 17,967 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @H1ggyLTD

of course non-consensual PvP is the core of the game. However it's still possible to move that into griefing;

There are two spawn points on a sloop. behind the wheel and near the prow. it is feasible to spawn camp a sloop. second, once you down an enemy boat they spawn very close by, fully re-stocked - so you enter into an on-going battle until one side gets bored.

Plenty of chat about those two aspects that i'm sure most people will have seen or experienced.

It just sometimes feels that too much framework around PvP was left unstructured / ungoverned or what feel like oversights for a PvP game
  • Peew971 3 Apr 2018 14:53:00 7,268 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    When they used to talk about Skull Forts they were imagining crews teaming up to beat it and share the loot. How naive Rare, you forgot to take human nature into account! Skull Forts are where that endless PvP loop is the most obvious, sink a galleon, wait 5 mins and there it is again fully re-stocked. Rince and repeat until boredom.
  • barchetta 3 Apr 2018 15:36:35 3,174 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Only faced one bout of 'griefing' when playing last week. Though it was six and two threes really, me, missus and the kids crewed a galleon (play anwhere ftw!) and our keystone cops style sailing skills got us into repeated problems with a much more skilled crew.

I've been playing solo sloop too and had a great cat-and-mouse with a galleon - hand brake turns and more nimble steering saved the day until we got bored and parted ways.
  • Daz190uk 3 Apr 2018 17:47:20 451 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iíve not experienced much in the way of griefing but the potential for it is obvious.

The core game is fun and the sense of danger created by the world makes the repetitive tasks much more engaging.

It feels a bit like a great frame at the moment but itís time to start building it out soon or people will move on.

As we saw with Destiny 2, once the crowd moves on itís hard to bring them back which would be a great shame for what is one of the more interesting games so far this generation.
  • Derblington 6 Apr 2018 11:28:13 34,780 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    "We hear and understand that people are keen to understand what our plans are for updating Sea of Thieves, beyond the top experience fixes," Neate concldued. "We are currently in the midst of adjusting our roadmap based on feedback we have received since launch, with a ton of planning meetings continuing through this week.

"We plan to release a video next week updating everyone on how we plan to evolve Sea of Thieves moving forward. We totally understand that people want to see this ASAP, but the critical thing here is to have the right plan that allows Sea of Thieves to grow in the right way."
    I'm not convinced this isn't them actually working out a road map for the first time but it'll be interesting to see what they're planning.
  • TPReview 6 Apr 2018 11:49:25 1,380 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When your ship sinks I think it should kick you to a new server.
  • Crea 6 Apr 2018 11:58:12 47 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think the launch shows us a few things about Rare.

Pre-launch, they were stupendously naive about likely player behaviour (players mostly shoot on sight, very little to zero cooperation between crews). Their designs are a mixture of genius, idealism and naivety.

They're eager to please and seem to be keen to get feedback. They are, I think, listening, based on what they've said and done post-launch.

I think we'll find, though, that their development iteration time is too long to make meaningful change to the game on a reasonable timescale. They are not set up to move quickly. I infer this from a number of things:

1. The dev time of the game. 4 years is a massive amount of time for this to come out the other end, and shows that their design process is very experimental. If you specced this out up front for a solid engineering team you'd build this a lot more quickly.

2. They are *extremely* coy about content plans. I partly take at face value their explanation that they want to adapt as they go according to player feedback, I also think it indicates a bit of design 'purism', in that they clearly felt this total dearth of systems / content was adequate in the context of the emergent "stories" it would generate.

3. Key variables in the game (e.g spawn distance) require client-side changes. Slows everything down. Also, the hacks that are emerging on PC show a lot of key data is client-side authoritative. This is fine for Xbox, but they'll get bogged down now in a running battle with hackers, which will detract from what they should be doing - adding content.
  • Peew971 6 Apr 2018 12:25:56 7,268 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The new spawn distances still aren't good enough, I did a Skull Fort with a crew last night and we had to fight off the same galleon 3 times, then 2 more times on sea when the fort was done. Obviously they came back with full resources every time so it took some magnificent work from our captain for us to manage to get the loot and then deliver it to an outpost. I wouldn't have expected this to happen after the last update.
  • robthehermit 6 Apr 2018 15:39:12 8,331 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's not a game yet, it's a glorified tech demo with things to do. They've put it out in the wild with the basic tools and told people to make their own games. It's like an artist selling a blank canvas and telling the buyer to imagine their own picture.

The game will arrive in due course once they start making it based around what people are doing in the game, no point in working on a feature nobody uses after all. Fuck knows what they've been doing for the 4 years if this is the result.

Having said all that, I'm still enjoying it and spend a few hours everyday sailing around minding my own business.
  • Peew971 10 Apr 2018 13:50:04 7,268 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Did a skull fort with a full EG crew, we killed the boss, sailed away with the key then I got a console update before getting the loot! :eek:
  • Peew971 10 Apr 2018 17:10:01 7,268 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Update on the above post, update took 20ish minutes but the game never replaced me. Pure luck. Joined the crew back after they had fought off another Galleon, then we got attacked by a Kraken on the way to the outpost. Ended up making it safely with all the loot :)
  • Phanger 27 Apr 2018 15:19:29 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone interested in buying the Ferryman Clothing set?
    (the one which comes with the Sea of Thieves controller exclusively)

Have one for sale, I've seen 'em go for as much as $100 .
  • Phattso 27 Apr 2018 15:26:11 27,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You played the long game, my friend. You almost deserve your scalp cash for that much time biding.
  • Ror 27 Apr 2018 19:42:33 20,322 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Holy cow.
  • POPTONES 5 May 2018 12:20:38 465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @robthehermit some good stuff dropping very soon. Keep the faith with this one.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.