Sea of Thieves Page 43

• Ror 23 May 2018 17:57:36 20,322 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hungering Deep details
  • ChiefGB 23 May 2018 21:42:39 13,611 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It Better be worth the wait or they are fucked.
  • M83J01P97 5 Jun 2018 22:26:33 7,607 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Took advantage of the free XBox Games Pass that's going around and gave this a go...

It really is a shower of tedious shit isn't it? Why is there no clear explanation about what you need to do and so on? I get they were going for the whole 'work out the game yourself by playing with friends!' vibe, but it's really poorly done in my mind.

Very bland experience overall.
  • Carlo 16 Jun 2018 08:04:37 21,640 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've done a couple of runs now, it's strangely compelling, but I can't see what the long term goal is for this game... Is there a larger story to it or something?
  • Derblington 16 Jun 2018 09:04:07 34,780 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No, that's the problem. It's about playing purely for enjoyment of the base mechanics because they offer no upgrades of any kind at any time, with no long term goals other than wanting a cosmetic appearance change.
  • Carlo 16 Jun 2018 12:30:11 21,640 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Is it safe to delete this then?
    I'd leave it on unless you're out of space. Feel bad for anyone caught up in the hype for this, and bought a console bundle on the strength of it.

Good game don't get me wrong, but it remininds me of "no mans sky" in the sense that there's something fundamentally missing from it.
  • Lukree 18 Apr 2019 07:49:22 574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Holy hell, that MS store is still so much shit I cannot believe it. I purchased Gears 4 years ago and remember it being painful.

Now - thought that I give it a chance. Perhpas it's great now. It is not, actually. Three tries with "buy" button and all gave different error messages varying from "no internet" (everything working great everywhere) to different error codes. Ok - fourth try goes through, linking paypal payment via regular browser (looks like a total hack) and then I can download the game! 10 gigs from 30 later and Windows Store client loses my hard drive! Yeah, let's try again later...

And from a PC users perspective, I have no idea what's the difference with "Xbox Live Gold" and "Xbox game pass". You get some games "Free" with Gold and some other with Game pass?! It is just so badly explained in client and you cannot find any info about those mechanisms.

Rant over.
  • MatMan562 18 Apr 2019 14:51:48 3,470 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Lukree Yeah, the Windows Store definitely isnt great, can't say I've ever had problems as bad as that though!

Regarding Live and Game Pass; Xbox Live is the subscription you need to play games online on Xbox (you don't need it for PC gaming at all) and you get a few Xbox games per month for free to keep (no PC games ever), Xbox Game Pass is Microsoft's Netflix-like subscription service for games where you have unlimited access to every game on the service whilst you are a subscriber, as a PC user you can play any game on that service that is playable through the Windows Store which is mostly just the MS exclusive ones. Personally, I don't think Game Pass is worth it for PC only users but seems a fairly good deal for Xbox users.
  • Lukree 18 Apr 2019 15:32:58 574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @MatMan562 woah you did better job than the whole MS marketing dept, thanks! That was something which I kinda figured out inbetween lines. I guess gold account gives you opportunity to buy games cheaper on pc.
  • Lukree 23 Apr 2019 08:20:53 574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tested yesterday for the first time, the graphics and general feeling of the game is fantastic! Bumbed to one one-legged gentleman pirate who taught me the basics. Managed to sail the ship just by myself before that, too - but how to get a task going on was a bit of a head scratcher. Slaughtered a few skeletons, but we didn't bumb to other ships - saw some on the horizon, though.

This needs a bit of rhum and a free friday night!
  • ChiefGB 23 Apr 2019 09:40:18 13,611 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thing is after an hour youíve sampled all it has to offer. Nice to come back to every once in a while for new additions but it always ends up the same way.
  • Derblington 23 Apr 2019 10:43:38 34,780 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I follow the updates a bit as a workmate seems to play it a lot. I'm definitely interesting in the new narrative structured stuff but I fear that I'll end up the same way after a couple of hours too.
  • Baihu1983 24 Jul 2019 15:15:09 13,717 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pets will be the games first micro transactions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t43w7jP1cY
  • Xerx3s 30 Jul 2019 13:11:51 23,969 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So instead of actually fleshing out the content (let's be honest, most is random generated identikit), they add the option for players to pay for a game that they already paid full price for. I love the game (trolling other players) but the vast majority of the game is grinding with no real reason.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Nov 2019 10:26:29 26,586 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Looking at the front page, I will be downloading Sea of Thieves later today. ;)
  • DFawkes 14 Nov 2019 11:15:30 32,752 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Downloading a game just because of pretty cosmetics from another franchise is very shallow! Please ignore the part where I only downloaded it when they did a Halo set.

I have to admit I really like the look of the Gears set. Will have to pop online and see it for myself :)
  • urban 9 Jun 2020 10:38:50 13,125 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wow, this game has GROWN - I've jumped back in and I'm loving it!

Completed a skullfort them got ambushed and lost about 70,000 worth of loot. yay!

(genuinely was an impressive ambush though, that tactic will be used at a later date)
  • magicpanda 15 Jun 2020 17:38:57 15,123 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm really enjoying this more second time around, such a good game. Solo Slooping is mostly a chilled out affair and I've managed to shift the mindset that loot is worth anything. Que sera, sera and all that.

If anyone is up for a game give me a shout. magicpanda2210

Edited by magicpanda at 17:41:59 15-06-2020
  • Cadence 15 Jun 2020 18:28:49 2,575 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I tried this out the other day for the first time with game pass and found it a bit dull. The graphics are nice especially the water effects but it seems to have no structure. Maybe I just need some friends to play with instead of random people then you go off and make your own fun. I picked up a quest to deliver some chickens then spent about an hour searching for an island that might have said chickens, only to give up and do some fishing instead.

Edited by Cadence at 18:29:09 15-06-2020
  • Derblington 15 Jun 2020 18:43:42 34,780 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Itís very much a Ďmake your own funí thing. You need a crew that you can just talk shit with while doing the odd quest or griefing others.

Itís basically the kid friendly version of GTA/Read Dead online, teaching them to be the worst players that gaming has once they grow up a bit :/
  • Anthony_UK 15 Jun 2020 20:58:00 3,069 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They've added loads since release, with new content or feature dropping each month (ghost ships coming in a few days I believe).

As a solo slooper, I wouldn't bother with cargo runs and just stick to chests & skulls. Even then it can be hard work on your own, but not impossible.

The game transforms massively with a few friends, but there's loads of videos out there to help solo players.

Still my game of choice at the moment, absolutely love it.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 20:58:25 15-06-2020

Edited by Anthony_UK at 20:59:20 15-06-2020
  • magicpanda 16 Jun 2020 12:15:02 15,123 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Cadence Happy to show you what little ropes I know if you wanted to give it another go. You probably picked the worst possible mission to start the game. Did you do the maiden voyage?

There are also Tall Tales which are proper pirate adventures with a goonies vibe which now have checkpoints so you can dip in for an hour or so and it saves progress.

That said, I think it's best to think of the game first and foremost as a PVP game. There will be around 6 player ships on the sea at any one time and they can sink you and take everything you own and you can do the same to them. If that doesn't appeal then it's probably a game to avoid.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Jun 2020 12:34:20 18,913 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'd love a decent single player pirate game - I remember the old PoTC game on the original Xbox being pretty good, although it had little to do with the films.
  • magicpanda 16 Jun 2020 14:28:21 15,123 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh god they would make a killing if they did a proper story version of this game.
  • freddymercurystwin 17 Jun 2020 00:03:26 2,554 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @magicpanda yes I really want to play it, those ocean waves look gorgeous but online games just don't fit into my gaming, maybe there'll be a sequel with a decent campaign.
  • boo 4 Mar 2021 16:19:11 13,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Clearly I am so late to the party that even the so-drunk-they-passed-out-in-the-flowerbed types have woken up, gone home, cleaned themselves up and are now watching Antiques Roadshow, but a mate and I were looking for something to replace the Division / Div 2 as our Wednesday night game and we settled on this.

We just spend four or five hours mucking about on the boat and wandering round islands carving up skeletons and trying to figure out where the treasure is, with a map that has so little detail it's next to useless.

And we're having a riot doing it.

Love the working together malarkey of actually sailing the ship, and the island exploration is so untaxing that we get to have a good natter while we're doing it.

Haven't had any griefing so far, but presumably that's because all the dickheads have moved on to games anew.

As far as I can tell, the game's not persistent (certainly the chests we left on board our ship weren't there this week, and neither were all the patched up holes), so what do people do with all the money they earn, other than buy new clothes?
  • barchetta 4 Mar 2021 16:45:43 3,174 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @boo - I must get to look at this again on the XSX - was pretty as a picture on the OneX and also on my aging PC.

With regards spending - I guess it is all about the cosmetics? Certainly didnít seem to be any pay to win or Ďupgradedí kit back when I played a bit.

I see it more as a gloriously social type of game, Yes, might not be as deep as many but it is a great game to dip into. Must admit, Iíve lost track of the lore and the newer season stuff.

Best times weíre playing with the family - wife on OneX in the lounge, me on PC and my 2 kids on their boxes in their bedrooms. We were micíd up but to be honest the shouting from room to room was more authentic an approximation of a hapless crew navigating a storm!
  • AcidSnake 4 Mar 2021 17:00:34 8,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I tried this the other day, hoping for a smooth introduction and then maybe crewing up with randoms but I haven't seen anyone so far...

Also on my first voyage I got treated to the Kraken, don't know if that's deliberate or hugely unlucky...

Anyone for crewing up? I've done two whole missions so far so would be pretty useless...
  • triarii 4 Mar 2021 17:14:34 456 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @AcidSnake

I haven't played it in a long time but I'd be up for a few games.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.