Sea of Thieves Page 21

• X201 2 Mar 2018 11:32:13 18,491 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tried it this morning.

Felt like every other online game, no easy introduction and/or explanation for new players, just people running around attacking me and each other for no apparent reason.

I presume itís probably fun if youíve got a clue whatís going on and can stand other people being knobs
  • Blakester 2 Mar 2018 12:47:52 4,442 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's a game that desperately needs a tutorial and/or the option to play with an NPC crew to see what's what.

I've dipped in three time so far and floundered around marvelling at the lovely graphics but feeling completely isolated.
  • LittleSparra 2 Mar 2018 13:04:56 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It definitely does need a tutorial, and one would assume the proper release will have some sort of introduction.

The best way to learn, however, is to get on comms (or text chat) and talk to people. This is not a game for silent players, unless you are experienced at sailing solo, or are in a crew that is at least actively using VGS and emotes, or say everyone listening but only one person talking.

X201, were the people attacking you there when you loaded in? If so, that was your crew. :D

Edited by LittleSparra at 13:10:30 02-03-2018
  • Ror 2 Mar 2018 15:28:54 17,531 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found it all pretty intuitive myself. Not to say there aren't things that are more easily learned from a more experience player (cheers, Sparrows ;D ), but generally, just press buttons, mess around with things, and you'll figure it out. It's not like you can really fuck anything up :)
  • ChiefGB 2 Mar 2018 20:21:37 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it's not very complicated. There's options there but little depth. I want to see what the full game is but it don't think it's much more than what we've seen. All the marketing people can fluff it all up but they haven't convinced me of it's longevity. I think it's a great idea but they haven't quite worked out how to pull it all together yet and give me a reason to stick with it. I'm bored already over the last few tests, although there's different factions, it will all boil down to just a few gameplay elements. I love the style and the graphics are sumptuous on oled with hdr though.
  • ChiefGB 2 Mar 2018 20:35:51 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did see something surprising though. It looks like the beta is not x enhanced.
  • SiroccoJetProp 2 Mar 2018 22:40:35 204 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I did see something surprising though. It looks like the beta is not x enhanced.
    Yea it's not. Will be X enhanced on release.
  • ZuluHero 3 Mar 2018 11:08:50 6,424 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So I'm in the stress test, lovely looking game, but poking around island after island is getting a bit dull. The lady in the tavern said something about showing her any trinkets I find, do other npcs ask you to get stuff for them, are there any kind of quests? Also I've not seen any other players, either in boats or on foot, how does that side of things work?
  • mumtoucher 3 Mar 2018 11:33:44 527 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ZuluHero go to the guy in the tent he is somewhere on every outpost, then place what he gives you on your captains table on your ship. That will generate a treasure map - then use the world map on ship to plot your course using the map you generate. (Lb to bring up treasure maps)

You then level his quests up for better ones as you go

Edited by mumtoucher at 11:36:09 03-03-2018
  • mumtoucher 3 Mar 2018 11:39:06 527 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It really is a lot of fun this game, pulled off a great bit of stealth chest stealing earlier and then high tailed it off in my sloop to victory. Felt great dancing on the beach as the two guys I nicked the crate off caught me up and sailed passed.
  • ZuluHero 3 Mar 2018 12:23:59 6,424 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ahh thats interesting I'll take a look. What about other players, should I see people just running around in the same world?
  • LittleSparra 3 Mar 2018 12:25:38 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yup, but not all the time: more likely to see a ship on the horizon first, and then chaos or cordiality follows...
  • barchetta 3 Mar 2018 18:04:04 1,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Playing on PC with my eldest on his Xbox - really stable job done with no glitches found yet. Hoping there will be quite some variety in full release but the 3hrs played so far have got us interested. Shame it seems to be insider only so can't get younger son into this with us at same time.

Beautiful looking game - playing at legendary visuals - see some drops to 40fps on dense island but generally a smooth 60fps.
  • ZuluHero 3 Mar 2018 23:01:42 6,424 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @mumtoucher thanks for the help, I would have never figured this out.
  • ZuluHero 3 Mar 2018 23:06:50 6,424 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Managed to do 3 voyages, all starter ones. While I had fun, and decent visually, it was starting to get very samey. I was playing in a sloop on my own though. I'd imagine it would give more longevity in a group.

I also think someone sunk me, as I was heading to an island for a voyage, cannon balls shot at me. I thought it was coming from the island I was headed for, but after I recovered my ship and returned, it never happened again.
  • mumtoucher 3 Mar 2018 23:31:16 527 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ZuluHero no worries mate! I keep thinking the same but somehow keep playing on.

Ive had some hilarious moments involving ramming galleons full of players with a sloop and watching them frantically swimming around grabbing chests while their boat sinks. One time I actually managed to steal a captains chest (most expensive one I've seen) and swim off with it - I didn't get it but stopped them from having it.

Sometimes just outmaneuvering people and getting off with your hoard is fun enough.. The game falls flat when it's just you alone grinding treasure maps I think.

I found a message in a bottle which gave me a map to 5 chests one one island. The sail back with those was bloody tense. 2500 gold reward in total too.

Edited by mumtoucher at 23:45:06 03-03-2018

Edited by mumtoucher at 23:45:33 03-03-2018
  • Ror 4 Mar 2018 22:11:39 17,531 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Made a video last night showing a mate the basics. It's quite fun walking someone new through the game.

Then he wanted to go to the edge of the world...

• blimeyguvnor87 5 Mar 2018 16:48:02 405 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh my this game looks completely different from when I last played it, I'd say it's been about a year or so since I was in one of the closed tests.

Still not sure I have enough regulars on my friends list to make this a staple of my weekly gaming but I think it has serious (sea) legs.

If there's still a solid playerbase from EG after a couple of weeks I might look to jump in then.
  • KD 5 Mar 2018 18:16:30 1,973 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @blimeyguvnor87 I am in same boat for buying it later on, but only because I snagged some game pass month code for somewhere then had a extra month when I applied it. All set til April 4th then I'll worry about buying it.
  • blimeyguvnor87 5 Mar 2018 18:23:15 405 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @KD ah yes, I forgot about the Game Pass thing, I still have my month trial, so may use that around launch to see how it is!
  • Pierre2k 5 Mar 2018 20:53:14 1,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't currently have game pass, but I intend to get it for this. Still have my 14 day trial, but if any of you currently have a mobile phone with Three, download their WunTu (yep, as in "wun" "tu" three)rewards app. Its free and has weekly offers. This week (until the offers refresh at 8am on Wednesday), one of the offers is a free month of Xbox Game Pass. They can also be stacked. In my case:

14 days free trial
    plus
    One month free through WunTu
    plus
    Another month free through WunTu (both me and my wife have a Three phone)
    plus
    Another month free for switching on auto-renew (then switching it back off again)

3.5 months gratis so plenty of time to stuck into Sea of Thieves. Don't see my sticking with Game Pass to be honest as I already own most of the games I'd want to play on it, but for something like Sea of Thieves where I've got a real interest, but am yet to be wholly convinced, its perfect.
  • ChiefGB 6 Mar 2018 10:16:38 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I assume the game will be discounted fairly quickly like many first party Xbox games end up, the game pass stuff is going to mean fewer physical copies shifted the first month or so. And retailers will have stock to shift, there's a reason many of them are pissed off with the announcement.
  • Vortex808 6 Mar 2018 10:21:36 12,364 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Getting a cheap physical copy would be pretty nice, but I think I am going to have to go digital, cos I hoped the boy and I would do some co-op on this. However, I get ditched on Rocket League now, so he can hang out with his mates on Fortnite, so maybe it wouldn't matter too much and we could just pass the disc back and forth.

Which means it probably depends on how large the EG pirate crew roaming the waves are so I can get some company to sail the seven seas. :(
  • Graxlar_v3 6 Mar 2018 11:27:22 2,789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Vortex808 have you thought about using game pass?

#readhigheryounumptygrax

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 11:28:16 06-03-2018
  • Blakester 6 Mar 2018 11:54:32 4,442 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Getting a cheap physical copy would be pretty nice, but I think I am going to have to go digital, cos I hoped the boy and I would do some co-op on this. However, I get ditched on Rocket League now, so he can hang out with his mates on Fortnite, so maybe it wouldn't matter too much and we could just pass the disc back and forth.

Which means it probably depends on how large the EG pirate crew roaming the waves are so I can get some company to sail the seven seas. :(
    I'm trying to convince my son to give this a go but he's too consumed with Fortnite and Overwatch to even give this a glance.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Sea of Thieves will be mainly populated by crews of Dads who aren't cool or fast enough to play competitive FPS' anymore.
  • LittleSparra 6 Mar 2018 11:56:55 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha, you may be right. It will be a pleasanter place for it, too :D
  • Vortex808 6 Mar 2018 12:36:07 12,364 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blakester

Sea of ditched dads? Yarr. :(
  • Blakester 6 Mar 2018 12:46:39 4,442 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    @Blakester

Sea of ditched dads? Yarr. :(
    I have visions of ignoring the main gameplay mechanics entirely and just hanging out at the tavern chatting nonsense and drinking imaginary pints. /sad

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.