Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines powered by Valve engine Page 14

• Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,735 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd say 7.5, but I'd say no other game had ever even got beyond a 5/10. I'm assuming sapphic means "phwoar!"?
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    /hijack
    nice post on hc.tk Derbs :p
    /hijack off
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    /quietly nods and grins so as not to interupt the thread
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If I ever do get round to playing it again, Malkavian is what the class I'll pick, some of the changes I heard the game makes sound awesome. The TV talking to you, saying the police know that I did and so...freaky. Isnt the nuthouse level a bit "out there" too with a Malky?
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The hotel is a self contained area. Believe me, you'll know it when you get there...its a mission you do for the girls in the club in Santa Monica.
    But yeah, Santa Monica, Downtown, thats what I meant by sectors.
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You have to retrieve an amulet for the "sisters". Maybe its a side quest you can miss? Seemed to be pretty important to me though...
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bertie wrote:
    Which class/race are you, out of interest? :)
    Hot goth asskicking lesboslut vampbabe now that you ask.
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Does anyone know where I can get a CD Key for SWAT 4?

Seriously fellas...
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 23 Jul 2007 18:37:29 47,499 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Has anyone had AVG identify the vampire.exe of this game as a trojan horse? Because it just has for me!

No, I haven't cracked the game. It's the original (patched) version.
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Apr 2009 07:37:10 40,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    big bump

Good interview with one of the writers

This is what Bioware is never getting right:

I don’t like to make the NPC outright say “I need you to do X, then I’ll give you Y” because I see it all the time in games and it shows the writer’s hand - it makes the character into an automated quest kiosk. I like the characters to come off like people actually do - they don’t say “hi” when strangers come knocking, they say “who the hell are you?” or they’re expecting you and know more then they let on, or they don’t care. I don’t like my NPCs to be standing around as if their lives begin when the character starts talking to them and end when the player leaves. Characters are the protagonists of their own game, from their perspective.
  • Scimarad 6 Apr 2009 07:39:04 9,938 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    "automated quest kiosk"

Why did I suddenly think of Oblivion/Morrowind? Except in that case it's more 'automated public information kiosk'.
  • Genji 6 Apr 2009 08:12:47 19,682 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    New patch, huh. Sounds like I should give this another playthrough.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2009 08:14:03
    We need more RPGs like Deus Ex and V:TMB
  • Genji 6 Apr 2009 08:16:02 19,682 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    /hopes for Deus Ex 3 return to form...
  • jellyhead 6 Apr 2009 08:37:32 24,348 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    / lights a candle with Genji
    / hopes
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Apr 2009 10:40:27 33,624 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I like the characters to come off like people actually do - they don't say hi when strangers come knocking, they say who the hell are you? or they're expecting you and know more then they let on, or they don't care.
    Maybe I'm just an overly polite sort of guy, but I have to say that I've never greeted anyone at my door with a "who the hell are you?"

A straight "hi" tends to work quite well.
  • FWB 6 Apr 2009 10:42:22 56,367 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    They should involve the public in writing some of these NPC characters and their dialogue. Could not only come up with some interesting stories and possible quests, but it'd make them a lot more varied and personal.
  • jellyhead 6 Apr 2009 11:06:50 24,348 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I can see where you're going and it sounds ggod but i don't want a videogame equivalent of "Snakes on a Plane" written by an internet committee :)
  • FWB 6 Apr 2009 11:08:49 56,367 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well naturally there needs to be some QA. :) Might take up some time, but I'm sure they could find some trusted people who would run/check it all for a small fee/free. Good way to get something on your CV too. Then you just hand over a list of good scripts to the developers and let them decide what they use.
  • Wastelander 6 Apr 2009 11:12:19 1,848 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can you buy this on a disc still or is it out of print?
    Steam can bugger off.
  • marilena 6 Apr 2009 11:29:54 8,238 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I bought it from a traditional store a few months ago, so it must be still knocking around. But I'm in Romania, I don' know about other countries.

/still hasn't played it
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Apr 2009 11:32:08 40,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I know there's a budget jewelcase version in print here in Germany. Might be the same in the UK.
  • Wastelander 6 Apr 2009 11:36:54 1,848 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cool! I'll have a trawl round the game shops.
    Been meaning to play this for yonks.
  • FWB 6 Apr 2009 11:52:39 56,367 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah pretty buggy. My game was completely ruined during the trial exercises. Hit a bug that wouldn't let me through the next door and it affected every single one of my saves... so I quit.

I've never been a fan of vampires so didn't that involved in the story, but it was a good game.
  • MetalDog 6 Apr 2009 11:55:49 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's a great game that still outstrips many current releases. A lot of games could stand to learn from Bloodlines, even if it was rushed out. Fan patches have made it pretty much all good. Bags of replay value too.
  • Tiger_Walts 6 Apr 2009 12:10:06 16,674 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I reinstalled recently with the v6 Unofficial Patch, still crashes and still has audio bugs and despite some rebalancing, still unbalanced.

As for writing, as plagiaristic... sorry susceptible to homage as he is, RTD made some very good points about scriptwriting on an episode of Screenwipe. He noted far too often people say too much, not letting context fill in the gaps. Good writers pare down the text until only the bare minimum is needed.

You want to go down to the pub?
    Yes, I fancy a pint.
    It's a bit of a walk, I need to use the toilet first.
    That's OK, I need to find my shoes.

becomes...

Pub?
    Pub.
    Piss first.
    Shoes, too.

It's nonsense out of context but acted out in a scene it's far more fluid and actually says more about the characters and their relationship.

Video game scripts are far too heavy on the text and dialogue trees are not exploited enough to provide exposition only when the player demands it. That said, Bioware's Mass Effect did well to let you skip such dialogue. Meaning you didn't have to sit through turgid back-story you already knew from other sources or an earlier play-through.
  • MetalDog 6 Apr 2009 12:15:41 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I can't remember the last time it crashed on me and it's seen some heavy play on several machines. Given you're also getting sound issues, have you tried turning hardware acceleration off? If you're interested, that is - you sound more like you just want to diss it =)
  • FWB 6 Apr 2009 12:23:53 56,367 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Is it worth giving Deus Ex 2 a go?The first is probably my favourite game of all time. It's 3.95 at play for the PC version and 1.95 for the Xbox.
  • Tiger_Walts 6 Apr 2009 12:28:05 16,674 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Heh, I still love it. The sound issue is clipped audio, not the stuttering that was endemic to the early Source engine. I'll check that hardware acceleration setting, though I usually disable such stuff. It was a few hours before it CTD'd, much longer than the first times I played.

I also can't help but choose the Malkavian bloodline, half the time you don't know what half the dialogue options mean. Which is spot on. They also reek of a confused prescience, hinting at things to come without giving too much away.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.