Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines powered by Valve engine Page 15

• FabricatedLunatic 6 Apr 2009 12:31:30 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I played through the game last year with the unofficial patch and had no crashes or audio problems. Then again, I never had any crashes when I first played the game in 2004 with only the official patch.

Love the game, even if there's too much bad FPS'ing in the second half.
  • MetalDog 6 Apr 2009 12:34:50 24,076 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    I also can't help but choose the Malkavian bloodline, half the time you don't know what half the dialogue options mean. Which is spot on. They also reek of a confused prescience, hinting at things to come without giving too much away.

Heh, ditto. More than half my playthroughs have been with a malky. So much less up their own arses than the other clans!
  • Whizzo 6 Apr 2009 12:39:02 44,807 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:Love the game, even if there's too much bad FPS'ing in the second half.
    Tell that to my Ventrue, doing great up until the last third or so then it turns into full on combat and he's fucked.

I only finished it by cheating as there's no way you can do it with someone who's supposed to talk and dominate his way out of trouble.
  • Genji 6 Apr 2009 12:41:24 19,682 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    I also can't help but choose the Malkavian bloodline, half the time you don't know what half the dialogue options mean. Which is spot on. They also reek of a confused prescience, hinting at things to come without giving too much away.

Heh, ditto. More than half my playthroughs have been with a malky. So much less up their own arses than the other clans!
    Having a conversation with a stop sign has to be one of my most favorite gaming moments ever.

No, YOU STOP.
  • sirtacos 23 Aug 2009 12:16:03 8,258 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Awesome game. The dialogue is the sharpest of any game I have ever played. More RPGs should have modern-day vampirism as a setting... if done well, it can be brilliant.

The combat's a bit shit though.

I just arrived in Hollywood and supposedly this is where the game takes a turn for the worse. To what extent is this true and is it worth soldiering on even if it gets really crap?
  • sirtacos 23 Aug 2009 12:17:05 8,258 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:Love the game, even if there's too much bad FPS'ing in the second half.
    Tell that to my Ventrue, doing great up until the last third or so then it turns into full on combat and he's fucked.

I only finished it by cheating as there's no way you can do it with someone who's supposed to talk and dominate his way out of trouble.

Shit - that's pretty much my character.
  • psychokitten Moderator 23 Aug 2009 12:20:53 7,795 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Awesome game. The dialogue is the sharpest of any game I have ever played. More RPGs should have modern-day vampirism as a setting... if done well, it can be brilliant.

The combat's a bit shit though.

I just arrived in Hollywood and supposedly this is where the game takes a turn for the worse. To what extent is this true and is it worth soldiering on even if it gets really crap?

Only crap in comparison to some of the fantastic parts earlier on. It's worth playing the whole thing. Several times.
  • Messiac 23 Aug 2009 12:21:58 3,465 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Crap, I lost my install discs for this by the looks of things....

Would love to start playing again now too : (
  • sirtacos 27 Oct 2009 09:17:34 8,258 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd like to finish this, but the cunting game keeps crashing to the desktop every time I try to exit the cemetery after having paid a visit to that underground-dwelling Nosferatu chap, Gorgeous whatshisface. This really is a fucking shame because Bloodlines is brilliant.
  • psychokitten Moderator 27 Oct 2009 09:52:55 7,795 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Did you patch it? It crashes out at certain points if you don't patch it up.
    Or you have to manually load the next level. I'm pretty sure it's at the point when you get in a little boat, probably where you are now.
  • sirtacos 27 Oct 2009 11:19:50 8,258 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I patched it up to the most recent version. I also installed the latest community patch - the one that restores all manners of stuff including background history for your player character. So I'm up to date, I think.

The little boat? If by that you mean the little boat that takes you to the huge ship in Santa Monica to fulfill LaCroix's sarcophagus mission, I'm way past that point.
    I just finished the sewer levels - i.e. the endless dungeon crawl at the end of which you reach the nosferatus' secret underground lair. I spoke to Gorgeous Gary (or whatever his name is) and got the Chinatown mission from him. Then, I left his lair through the passageway that leads to the morgue in the cemetery. Everything's fine until then, but when I try to leave the cemetery to get back to Hollywood, the load screen appears and loads to about 3/4 before crashing. It's the exact same fucking thing every time
  • thesonglessbird 27 Oct 2009 12:30:30 201 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Last time I tried playing through I ended up at a point where to progress I had to talk to some guy about something (it was a while ago so I forget the specifics...) but the game wouldn't let me talk to him. Shame, because it's basically an awesome game. Hope they make a new one one day.
  • Punde 28 Dec 2009 21:26:28 22 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There has been some nice mods released lately, Clan Quest mod adds completely new quests to the game, all with pretty good voice acting. Played about half of the quests, and for a fan mod it's excellent.

There is a Camarilla Edition mod also which changes the game considerably with new disciplines and stuff. Haven't tested yet, but I just finished my sixth play-through so have to take a little pause before the seventh :)
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:50:19
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:50:19
    Post deleted
  • Ziz0u 15 Oct 2012 12:30:28 11,006 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bump

So is Steam the only place to get this digitally? Is it worth $19.99?
  • Deleted user 15 October 2012 12:31:47
    Possibly but it's on sale for 3 every other week.
  • Ziz0u 15 Oct 2012 12:36:25 11,006 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll try wait it out. Thanks.
  • Ranger_Ryu 15 Oct 2012 12:40:05 1,567 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It'll probably go down for Halloween, think I picked it up around this time last year.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Oct 2012 12:52:55 25,403 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh wow, I remember playing this. It feels like such a long time ago now.

I played as the class that had to hide out in the sewers. Nosferatu, I think. That was fantastic. Shame about the last bit of the game, as the first couple of areas were brilliant.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2012 12:57:03
    There were a few innovations in this game that are still very fresh. The class that was insane was...mad...
  • Mola_Ram 15 Oct 2012 12:59:32 25,403 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember something about talking to a stop sign.
  • RedPanda87 15 Oct 2012 13:28:54 2,117 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Love this game, been replaying it recently and the first ten hours or so are masterful. Falls down a bit after that but it's still great fun.
  • Ziz0u 15 Oct 2012 13:30:59 11,006 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So is it simlar to Fallout 3/NV? Is it open-ended? Reading reviews makes it sound like it becomes a FPS in the last 3rd.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Oct 2012 13:34:16 25,403 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's more similar to something like Deus Ex. Especially the new Deus Ex. Where you travel between a series of hubs in which you do sidequests and such. It's not open-world to the extent of Bethesda games, but there is a bit of freedom to do what you want within the hubs.
  • Ziz0u 15 Oct 2012 13:37:53 11,006 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    More convo than combat?
  • Mola_Ram 15 Oct 2012 13:39:02 25,403 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    More convo than combat?
    In the first two thirds, most definitely.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.