Han Solo Spin-Off Movie to Be Directed By ĎThe Lego Movieí Directors Page 19

• Rhaegyr 3 May 2018 16:59:21 4,607 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Fuck, didn't know there were that many films in the pipeline.

I hate the over saturation of SW/Marvel and the like - it makes every consequent film feel a little less special.
    Dunno. For those of you who hated The Last Jedi, would it have been more Ďspecialí if you had to wait another 3 years or so to see it? I donít mind seeing one a year at all. If itís pants, then you know you may get a good one the following year. Unless they move to get two a year out.
    I quite liked Last Jedi :)

It's more to do with Jambo's post - the content of all these spin-off films takes away the mystery of the characters/world and seeing so much of them makes them less special when they come round again.

Rogue One is the prime example of this for me - who honestly gave a fuck where the Death Star plans came from? It's one of the most inconsequential films I've seen in a fair few years.
  • Khanivor 3 May 2018 17:08:13 43,915 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogue One is close to bring my favorite ever SW film. Love it.

Itís not so much whether the particular basis of the story needs to be told. Itís whether itís told well and is exciting/entertaining. Thatís what movies are about.
  • GarlVinland 3 May 2018 17:11:22 3,662 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rhaegyr Ironically I really liked Rogue One. :) It was truly standalone though, there's like a single line of dialogue in the original film linking it.

A Solo film though, I'm not so sure. We have the prequel trilogy to show how demystifying such a beloved character can do more harm than good. I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy it the same way I would with Rogue One, but it has Lando so I'm giving it a shot regardless.

I don't mind standalone films that are completely removed, but they jump the shark the moment they release a Boba Fett origin story (still not cancelled iirc).
  • JoeBlade 3 May 2018 18:11:02 4,270 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm a very big fan of the SW films (other than the prequels obviously) including the recent ones, but this leaves me absolutely stone cold. No idea why either, there's just nothing about this I'm excited to see.
  • Zyrr 3 May 2018 18:38:13 297 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same. I have absolutely no enthusiasm for this. It really feels like the studio is trying way too hard to appeal to fans of the original trilogy and is now just obsessively scouring the original scripts for the tiniest threads with which to make more 'origin story' films.

Looking forward to the inevitable Luke and Biggs teen drama, the Jawa sitcom and the 'day in the life of a Mousedroid' arthouse film.
  • Khanivor 3 May 2018 18:46:10 43,915 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That last one legit is a solid concept.
  • Deleted user 3 May 2018 18:48:14
    the continuing adventures of boba fett and his dad's head
  • Lotos8ter 3 May 2018 19:27:39 2,618 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Rogue One is the prime example of this for me - who honestly gave a fuck where the Death Star plans came from? It's one of the most inconsequential films I've seen in a fair few years.
    Me. Itís a story I always wanted to be told since I saw the original as a kid. The resulting film was superb, loved the darker tone and the Rebels doing questionable things for a greater good. Itís all about sacrifice. The ending sequence is one of my all time favourites.
  • Rhaegyr 4 May 2018 09:40:45 4,607 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks like I'm in the minority with Rogue One :p

I can barely remember anything about the film - can't recall a single characters name (though I've only seen it once). I also remember really disliking the end sequence as it was just characters who I had built no attachment to dying left, right and centre.

Khanivor is right in saying it doesn't matter that it didn't need to be told as long as it was exciting and entertaining; for me the film failed to do even that.
  • thelzdking 4 May 2018 09:46:50 8,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogue One was okay, decent action sequences and I suppose the ending is brave for Star Wars, if a little cheesy.

Edited by thelzdking at 09:49:02 04-05-2018
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 May 2018 10:09:44 31,857 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The last half hour or so of Rogue One was great. The rest was pretty forgettable, interspersed with a bunch of tiresome "HEY! REMEMBER THIS GUY/LINE/THING!?" moments.
  • beastmaster 4 May 2018 10:23:52 18,691 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tickets are on sale now.

Not broken the internet. No surprise really. Going Thursday morning. No need for the midnight shows anymore.
  • JamboWayOh 4 May 2018 10:27:53 9,536 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's almost as if people have figured out that cinema tickets aren't a finite resource. Also I think this film is going to get drowned out by Infinity War.
  • TPReview 4 May 2018 10:30:01 1,303 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not a film buff but wasn't Rogue One meant to be a Seven Samurai style film, just in the Star Wars universe. I liked the film and like that concept. I'm hoping Solo will be a heist film and maybe we'll even get a Star Wars horror one day, like that Ewok mode in the new Battlefront
  • Lotos8ter 4 May 2018 10:38:39 2,618 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TPReview I think it was a war film, Seven Samurai kind of theme, yes. Itís also worth remembering that the film we saw is apparently very different to the Directorís original vision. What changes were made weíll probably never know.
    If Solo ends up like a SW Firefly then itíll be worth a cinema visit. Iím personally hoping that itís low on japes and that Solo is quite a ruthless, dark sort of character. I get the feeling it might be a bit Benny Hill smirky though which will piss me off.
  • Dirtbox 4 May 2018 10:38:58 90,864 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I liked rogue one, but I'm hard pressed to remember a single character.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 May 2018 10:42:33 16,312 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Darth Vader.
  • beastmaster 4 May 2018 10:43:05 18,691 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    It's almost as if people have figured out that cinema tickets aren't a finite resource. Also I think this film is going to get drowned out by Infinity War.
    Infinity War is going to dominate. This film is going to get a lot of repeat viewings. Mind you, in the US, Black Panther got a huge boost in numbers as well.

With this one, itís still Star Wars so itíll probably break some kind of record etc. But as people have said, best you can hope for as a fun ride.

It does look extremely polished. With all that happened, Iím amazed it looks thar good. Which, of course, 99% of the film going public donít even know about.
  • thelzdking 4 May 2018 10:47:16 8,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TPReview wrote:
    I'm not a film buff but wasn't Rogue One meant to be a Seven Samurai style film, just in the Star Wars universe. I liked the film and like that concept. I'm hoping Solo will be a heist film and maybe we'll even get a Star Wars horror one day, like that Ewok mode in the new Battlefront
    I want to see a Fifty Shades-style S&M erotic thriller between a Twilek and C3P0.
  • thelzdking 4 May 2018 10:47:44 8,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It could be called Fifty Shades of Pompous Golden Busybody.
  • thelzdking 4 May 2018 10:49:46 8,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Infinity War is going to dominate. This film is going to get a lot of repeat viewings. Mind you, in the US, Black Panther got a huge boost in numbers as well.

With this one, itís still Star Wars so itíll probably break some kind of record etc. But as people have said, best you can hope for as a fun ride.

It does look extremely polished. With all that happened, Iím amazed it looks thar good. Which, of course, 99% of the film going public donít even know about.
    Yep. Infinity War is the culmination of a decade of Marvel stuff, whereas this is just a add-on.
  • JamboWayOh 4 May 2018 10:49:58 9,536 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm thinking more Eyes Wide Shut starring Palpatine and Vader.
  • Mola_Ram 4 May 2018 10:55:58 18,683 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The "best you can hope for is a fun ride"? Is that not good enough? Do people want religious epiphanies from their Star Wars movies or something?

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:59:06 04-05-2018
  • thelzdking 4 May 2018 11:04:14 8,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some people do seem to take them far too seriously.
  • JamboWayOh 4 May 2018 11:07:02 9,536 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Some people do seem to take them far too seriously.
    How dare you! Star Wars devotees are amongst the most mentally balanced, erudite and level headed of all the fans.
  • thelzdking 4 May 2018 11:11:42 8,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's the Pirates of the Caribbean fanboys that are the worst.
  • Mola_Ram 4 May 2018 11:15:23 18,683 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Whenever I encounter one of those, I just tell them that Space Mountain was better.
  • Tricky 4 May 2018 14:04:42 4,868 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Whenever I encounter one of those, I just tell them that Space Mountain was better.
    Or It's A Small World After All.

/still can't erase that fucking tune from my head, even 20 years later
  • beastmaster 5 May 2018 08:23:47 18,691 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Never. Ever. Underestimate the power of the Star Wars brand. Ron Howard appeared on Good Morning America and they showed a clip from the film and then said ticket sales were now available.

Tickets sales for the opening Friday are already double that of Black Panther. Some people even suggesting it could do Infinity War type numbers. Could easily be a $200 million opening weekend. Which seems utterly ridiculous. That very vocal minority who said theyíre done with Star Wars after they hated on The Last Jedi and seemingly want this film to fail will be very upset about all this. I do suspect they are the ones which are going to the midnight showings. Because thatís what they do.

It has itís premier in LA on the 10th and reviews will be out not long after. Itís also showing in Cannes (out of competition) so they must have a lot of confidence in this film.

Who knows. They may have made a decent film here.

Edited by beastmaster at 08:24:26 05-05-2018
  • Derblington 5 May 2018 10:45:22 31,146 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm not fussed about opening night but I'll definitely see it in the cinema. There's something about the Star Wars on the big screen that always makes me feel a bit like a kid, regardless of the quality of the film.

Will be buying the tickets to this and JP soon.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.