Mafia III Page 19

• Deleted user 24 December 2016 13:04:57
    @DUFFMAN5 No worries went with a cheap Watchdogs 2 to add to the backlog lol Maybe in the Jan sales hehe.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jan 2017 07:59:30 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Completed this earlier today (4:00ish) overall really enjoyed. It certainly has its faults, repetition being a major one. But there is also much to enjoy. The star of the show is Donovan as your CIA insider, just excellent especially his cut scenes.

It is the weakest of the trilogy but this does not make it a bad game. The cars handled excellently, arcadie of course. Good variety of locations, good perks as you unlock new things. The soundtrack is SUBLIME and the adverts and speaking bits on the radio are fine.

It is a good jobs the soundtrack is so good as you will be doing a lot of driving, no fast travel here!

Loads of side missions, this is no short game if you wish to 100% it. These unfortunately fall into the same repetitive trap as the mains but it does give you other things to do outside the story.

As others have said the motion capture voice and acting is as good as you are going to see. Top notch.

If 2K take note of the criticism as well as the praise Mafia IV could be excellent.
  • Baihu1983 1 Jan 2017 09:05:51 12,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Died while doing one of the I.R.A don't ask side missions and now is not showing up?

Never mind but I have to get the 3 cars again

Edited by Baihu1983 at 12:07:21 01-01-2017
  • Baihu1983 6 Jan 2017 12:04:16 12,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished the main story which was great but the game really needed to mix it up as well as needing more side quests
  • up_the_ante 8 Jan 2017 06:11:50 1,287 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    After a poor start I am now 20 hours into this game and really enjoying it. I'm so glad I persevered. Some were saying the graphics were mediocre, but there are dozens of times I've thought it looks absolutely stunning (running it 1440p and max settings). I'm really appreciating the work that's gone into making this a period piece with the environment. I'm quite happy to drive around the city, instead of fast travel, just to soak in the details.

One baffling omission is the penalty fine option for driving offences that was present in the previous two. I just lightly tapped the rear end of a police car coming up to a junction and both policemen immediately jump out and shoot me to death!?!
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Jan 2017 06:52:40 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    up_the_ante wrote:
    I just lightly tapped the rear end of a police car coming up to a junction and both policemen immediately jump out and shoot me to death!?!
    Sensible policies for a happier Britain (well usa) ;)
  • Baihu1983 8 Jan 2017 09:33:41 12,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got shot at in a retaliation attack and the near by police simply joined in and attacked me despite not even having a weapon....
  • Deleted user 8 January 2017 14:20:30
    Any one else notice the shocking physic engine going mental? Had cars run into each other then launch into the sky from a standing start lol This game is very odd graphics wise some times it looks stunning other times it looks last gen, the faces are amazing though.
  • Juz 26 Jul 2017 11:06:49 3,399 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just FYI - nice slomo shooting mechanic added to this.

Makes the already satisfying gunplay even more scrummy.
  • solidsneek 26 Jul 2017 11:14:21 763 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How is this game

I was thinking about picking it up on pc?
  • Frogofdoom 26 Jul 2017 11:27:16 16,215 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Repetitive as hell with some decent stuff. A 6/10 game sums it up quite well.
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Jul 2017 11:27:32 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @solidsneek
    I really enjoyed as have lots on this very thread. It is not perfect but the good far outweighs the bad, for me at least.

I gave my verdict a few posts above yours :)

I did enjoy the 70's but want ItalianAmericans in the 1940/50's next time please.
  • welshben1982 26 Jul 2017 12:08:59 1,312 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @solidsneek
    I really enjoyed as have lots on this very thread. It is not perfect but the good far outweighs the bad, for me at least.

I did enjoy the 70's but want ItalianAmericans in the 1940/50's next time please.
    Did you play Mafia II? That was set in the 1940s and 50s & was a much, much better game imo.
  • Ziz0u 26 Jul 2017 12:26:43 11,006 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gave the demo a go and although not great, I'm still curious if anyone knows if I purchase the actual game, does it just download the difference?

And on a similar note, does anyone know if it works like that with the Watch Dogs 2 demo?
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Jul 2017 13:30:15 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    welshben1982 wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @solidsneek

Did you play Mafia II? That was set in the 1940s and 50s & was a much, much better game imo.
    Yes mate played and completed :)
  • Juz 26 Jul 2017 13:36:26 3,399 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They've definitely improved it with every patch..and needed to.

It's still a bit rough and ready, but the story-driven cutscenes are genuinely good.

Remy Duvall is a cocksucker.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 31 Jul 2017 21:18:23 3,889 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I grabbed the deluxe version of this (with season pass) on sale at game as liked the look of the setting. I do enjoy the setting but the combat controls are clunky. Still enjoying it enough despite that so far (still early on though). The loading times on death are awful though (PS4) First game in the series I have played ao it doean't suffer in comparison to prequels. I have PS3 Mafia 2 on PSus I think though...
  • Humperfunk 16 Aug 2017 22:54:31 8,117 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wank, I need to talk to this lady to advance the plot and every time I hold square, nothing happens. If I speak to someone else, it let's me try again but still nothing. Fuck sake.
  • Juz 16 Aug 2017 23:43:07 3,399 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Wank, I need to talk to this lady to advance the plot and every time I hold square, nothing happens. If I speak to someone else, it let's me try again but still nothing. Fuck sake.
    This happened to me recently. Stopped, exited to main screen, went back and it was fine. Assuming you did all this and no luck? Sucks.
  • Humperfunk 16 Aug 2017 23:45:29 8,117 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah good stuff - nah I turned it off at that point so will try again tomorrow!
  • Humperfunk 24 Aug 2017 14:21:12 8,117 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very much enjoying this and think I am potentially about 3/4s of the way through. One thing I hate about games is DLC as I can never be arsed to go back to it, so literally spunked 25 on the season pass so I can play it all in one. Got the game for cheap anyway so have basically paid what would have been full price for the full lot. Shame as the deluxe version was in sale recently but balls to it, quality game.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Aug 2017 14:47:06 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Humperfunk
    I know what you mean mate. I really enjoyed the game, but sold months ago.
    My plan is to get the GOTY when it releases and gets a discount likewise with WD2. Another game I loved, well almost but never played any dlc.

I have got that again though so if season pass comes up on PS4 cheap enough, I will buy.
  • Humperfunk 24 Aug 2017 22:45:22 8,117 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 haha mate I ended up getting to what I think is the final mission and finishing one of the DLCs and on the final mission of another. Shame I have to go away tomorrow afternoon as could easily polish off the whole game before the weekend otherwise!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 24 Aug 2017 23:06:35 3,889 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Deluxe Edition (I paid 22.99 as was oddly cheaper than the standard edition in Game) was basically one of those Game of the Year editions with a DLC code rather than on disc. I grabbed that. Still not too far through it though as haven't been able to access the DLC yet.

I enjoy the game but it can easily frustrate when the context sensitive stuff goes wrong in a gunfight costing you half of your money (only one safe so far which is a pain too) which happens a little too frequently. Loading times are horrible on PS4 too. Overall I am happy with the game and need to get back to it and finish it. Hopefully won't take too long if I resist all of the icons on the map ;)
  • Bichii 25 Aug 2017 00:06:58 2,869 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I wanna go back to this, got about half way through and dumped it for some other new release. Loved the setting and characters.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Nov 2017 14:27:21 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This time last year I was playing and really enjoying Mafia 3 (and Gears), fast forward to now and I'm playing and really enjoying Mafia 3 (and Gears) it is as though the year never happened.

The reason for my return to it after 10 odd months off is due to buying the GOTY (deluxe) version in the Xbox sale. I have started the Faster Baby one first and it is excellent, going after and killing a lot of Klan. I almost forgot how wonderful the soundtrack is as well.

Looking forward to playing through the other two dlc missions, I loved Donavon in the main campaign, so hopefully his dlc should be good.

Has anyone else played the dlc ?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 Nov 2017 15:31:37 3,889 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I still haven't played far enough to access the DLC. I keep going back to the gane but it hasn't been a 'main' for me. I will get through it all eventually ;)
  • Humperfunk 21 Nov 2017 16:41:49 8,117 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 yep I did all the DLC at the same time as the main game which I played through August this year. Fucking great stuff, excellent game all round.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Nov 2017 16:48:05 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Humperfunk
    Good to know :)
    I wonder what time period they will go for in the forth game.

I would not be surprised if we got a full remake + addition content of the original Mafia.
  • Baihu1983 21 Nov 2017 17:08:30 12,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got the season pass so I'm going to restart the game with the dlc and of course 4k

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.