Crackdown 3

First Previous
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 6 Aug 2015 18:12:37 47,495 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I can't find an existing thread for this. Quite surprising really.

Trailer:

Pre-alpha gameplay demo

This GameRadar article says the destruction is MP only:
    http://www.gamesradar.com/crackdown-3-effectively-turns-your-xbox-one-most-powerful-console-ever-made/

While the offline single-player game plays out like the Crackdown of old, it's in multiplayer - set in an entirely separate city - where the game flexes its next-gen muscles. It works off of a startlingly simple conceit - the city is divided into distinct sections, each governed by a single server. When you start destroying things in an area, the physics calculations are sent to its server, and the results are sent back to your Xbox, which resolves that into everything from a single bullethole to a skyscraper tumbling down.
  • RedPanda87 6 Aug 2015 18:18:49 1,858 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The trailer pretty much says the destruction is MP only too, not sure why more publications didn't immediately pick up on that. The game looks seriously promising though either way. I might even have to get an Xbox One at this rate.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 6 Aug 2015 18:24:02 32,208 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The possibility of Crackdown was what swayed me towards an Xbox One, so I'll probably buy this. All I really wanted was a new city. Heck, I could've lived with the old one again. It seems we'll get at least that, so I'm already very happy :)

I do hope they also make the first 2 backwards compatible too. I love those games. It'd be nice to have the full series playable on the console.
  • Deleted user 6 August 2015 18:29:31
    I'd say BC is a given. They may even put them on Games With Gold at some point and/or be a day one/preorder bonus.

And 'probably' Fawkes? You crazy thang.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Aug 2015 18:36:29 24,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I still have the second one to playthrough. If I ever load it up people join with cheats on, so I always chuck. Once and if I had complete then no problem.

Defo buy the new one, first game was brilliant and second was still good. Did I see we have transforming vehicles back :) loved that.
  • Derblington 6 Aug 2015 18:37:37 31,288 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I do hope they also make the first 2 backwards compatible too. I love those games. It'd be nice to have the full series playable on the console.
    Why?

Providing this game is an update and improvement on the first (which it should be!), what benefit is there in playing backwards? There's no story; there're no set-pieces to marvel at; it's all system-based gameplay that this title should reproduce easily.

I'm sure they will though, as they seem to like giving away old titles when you buy the new ones.
  • Keyb0ardasaurus 6 Aug 2015 18:50:51 1,720 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All over this.
  • M83J01P97 6 Aug 2015 18:53:21 7,573 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait what... The destructible environments is only part of multiplayer? Am I hearing/understanding that right?
  • Scimarad 6 Aug 2015 19:08:57 9,540 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yep. Therefore not something I am likely to see.

I'm not sure why it can't be part of the single player game. If they must use the fabulous mystical power of the cloud then just say you can only do this stuff while online.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 6 Aug 2015 19:10:41 32,208 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    Why?
    Because I like playing them. I like the weapons sets, the vehicles, the 2 versions of the city and online PvP in 2 (which there's clear indication will be completely different in 3 for obvious reasons). They're a couple of my favourite games of all time but I don't have a 360 anymore, so why wouldn't I want to play them?
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Aug 2015 19:14:24 24,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does anyone know if when playing a game for example CD2 via backwards on xb1 they will be able to co-op with someone running the game on their 360 ?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 6 Aug 2015 19:30:24 32,208 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, you can. Xbox Live treats them both like 360s so it's cross platform. Current backwards compatible games are too :)
  • dai_bonehead 6 Aug 2015 21:28:31 449 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    The possibility of Crackdown was what swayed me towards an Xbox One, so I'll probably buy this. All I really wanted was a new city. Heck, I could've lived with the old one again. It seems we'll get at least that, so I'm already very happy :)

Number 2 worth a play, Fawkes?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 6 Aug 2015 22:59:35 32,208 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am the very last person to ask to be honest because I rate it far higher than anyone else does.

It's the same overall city layout as the first, but it has been wrecked so anything at ground level feels quite different. There is also a lot more to do, with a few sets of different activities, different sorts of orb, a larger range of vehicles (at the expense of the transforming ones), more weapons including a few cool ones like a gravity gun and4 player online play, as well as a pretty solid set of PvP gamemodes.

Also, there's a day/night cycle where monsters come out at night, along with solar weapons just for them, plus a lot of new Agent abilities like a wingsuit, charge attack, ground pound and some other things I've probably forgotten.

I really love that game :) It is an improvement on the first one in most ways, but you will miss a few things. There is pretty much 1 gang faction and you just clear their checkpoints instead of clearing a gang hierarchy. They've also removed manual sniping and vehicles transforming as you level up (though in real terms this isn't bad as you still unlock awesome vehicles).

If someone was new to them, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it, but if you played 1 to death I might be tempted to suggest you skip to 3.
  • Duffking 6 Aug 2015 23:02:43 15,992 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Yep. Therefore not something I am likely to see.

I'm not sure why it can't be part of the single player game. If they must use the fabulous mystical power of the cloud then just say you can only do this stuff while online.
    Probably because it's pretty hard to design a story and campaign around a game where if the player gets bored at any point they could literally raze the entire city to the ground.

Imagine if you could just nuke Los Santos in GTA 5 so there were no buildings left.
  • Vortex808 6 Aug 2015 23:03:26 13,017 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved the first 1, 2 was entertaining enough, but somehow nothing like as much fun as the first.

I preferred plugging away at the gangs I guess.

I think i digitally 'own' crackdown, so can at least revisit it before 3 with luck.
  • Ror 6 Aug 2015 23:05:29 18,126 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 6 Aug 2015 23:06:24 32,208 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That video looks great. Should be some fairly ridiculous multiplayer :) Way to busy for single player though, I'm so glad they aren't doing the same there. that said, I do hope you can mess about in the destructible city on your own if you like.

Vortex808 wrote:
    I loved the first 1, 2 was entertaining enough, but somehow nothing like as much fun as the first.

I preferred plugging away at the gangs I guess.
    Yeah, the whole gang system was pretty cool. I was sort of hoping they might rip off the Shadow of Mordor system and have all sorts of sub-leaders and maybe undercover agents so you can take the gangs over from the inside. Maybe they have, for all I know.

Edited by DFawkes at 23:11:45 06-08-2015
  • Ror 6 Aug 2015 23:27:47 18,126 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Yeah, the whole gang system was pretty cool. I was sort of hoping they might rip off the Shadow of Mordor system and have all sorts of sub-leaders and maybe undercover agents so you can take the gangs over from the inside. Maybe they have, for all I know.
    Between this and your earlier Blast Corps idea, why aren't you working at MS as an "Ideas Guy"?
  • Ror 7 Aug 2015 17:03:52 18,126 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sumo Digital are working on this as well as ReAgent.
  • RedPanda87 7 Aug 2015 18:32:37 1,858 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I'm glad there's no destruction in single player. Or at least none in the campaign mode. It would be nice if there was a separate mode with it or the ability to toggle it on and off in single player but in general I suspect I'd rather play with destruction off actually.
  • Britesparc 12 Aug 2015 17:45:15 2,021 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    David Jones (think that's him in the video, right?) mentions "if there's a kingpin on top of the building" in that demo of the multiplayer, so it sounds like there will be objectives of some kind, or NPCs in the multiplayer.

I'm wondering if it's going to be something similar to Spartan Ops; missions designed to be played with several people, but that you can also tackle yourself? Hope that's the case; I tend not to play too much competitive multiplayer, and this level of destruction is something I've been hankering after for years.

Imagine driving a tank through the ground floor of a building in order to send it crashing to the ground...
  • reggy72 12 Aug 2015 19:44:21 693 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Britesparc

I know what you mean, the endless possibilities for mayhem are very appealing, for me this was the best title displayed/demo'ed at Gamescon, very hyped for Crackdown so fingers crossed it turns out well.
  • Vice.Destroyer 5 Jan 2016 01:57:49 7,223 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, just read the story on the front page of EG regarding Crackdown 3.

Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) - Multiplayer in summer 2016
    After reading through this thread (for the first time), am I to understand that we are going to have a GTA V/GTA Online scenario, where the 1 player game gets released first and the online portion a lot later? I don't actually mind that, but am I correct in reading it like that?
  • Andee 5 Jan 2016 05:03:08 1,025 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    So, just read the story on the front page of EG regarding Crackdown 3.

Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) - Multiplayer in summer 2016
    After reading through this thread (for the first time), am I to understand that we are going to have a GTA V/GTA Online scenario, where the 1 player game gets released first and the online portion a lot later? I don't actually mind that, but am I correct in reading it like that?
    I thought they just missed a 'beta' in the sentence.

While it was originally suggested to be an early 2016 release, everything recently points to 3rd quarter.
  • fletch7100 5 Jan 2016 05:49:59 8,372 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just the testing for MP and all those servers. Game is bound to be a Christmas holiday release along side Gears, possibly Sea of thieves and Halo Wars 2. Also will there be a Forza Horizon game this year? If true another solid line up of 1st party games for Christmas.

2 exclusive games early in the year Recore and Quatum break. Save Crackdown for the holidays.

Edited by fletch7100 at 05:53:59 05-01-2016
  • Deleted user 5 January 2016 05:57:08
    Recore won't be early. All we've seen of it is a concept video.
  • Vortex808 5 Jan 2016 08:14:37 13,017 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If Gears and Crackdown are the xmas exclusives, then my end of year gaming will mostly be on the xbone again like this year.
  • Vice.Destroyer 5 Jan 2016 09:38:11 7,223 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hope that Crackdown is not a game for the 2016 christmas season. I am ready for Crackdown at easter! I know this is such a first world problem, seeing as TomB Raider, Fallout 4 and a few other games would probably take me until christams to finish, but I do fancy a bit of Mayhem now!

Just Cause 3 was ok. Mayhem was awesome, game was repetitive, unfortunately.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.