Games Others Can't Believe you haven't played yet Page 3

• Humperfunk 13 Sep 2015 10:10:54 8,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather

You should definitely try some FFs on your Vita quaddy. FFIX has aged magnificently, and of course there is FFX HD :)
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Sep 2015 10:38:22 15,794 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The recommendation of FFIX above is good but ignore everyone that tries to convince you to buy FFX.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2015 10:40:11
    Ffx is the last decent final fantasy. 11 is great bit is an mmo so doesn't really cpint
  • munki83 13 Sep 2015 10:48:56 1,853 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ffx is boring asballsand has some horrendous voice acting. Tidus is the worst ff protagonist.

I can't think of any major games I've not played excepts Lol and dota 2. Also shame on you folk who haven't played any Mario or Zelda games 😝
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2015 10:50:10 36,597 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Might try 10 out then. Or at least look at it or something
  • Humperfunk 13 Sep 2015 11:00:17 8,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X is superb!
  • RichDC 13 Sep 2015 11:08:01 8,854 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think The Last of Us is my main culprit. First it was because I cheap and hoping it might appear on PS+, and now I keep thinking I'm better off getting the PS4 version as it must be better (I don't know why). Except I don't have a PS4 and am unlikely to get one in the near future.
  • Psiloc 13 Sep 2015 16:05:28 5,486 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @quadfather X is ok and very accessible, both in terms of gameplay and the fact it runs on modern consoles. But VI, VII and IX are really special.

For me the "distrust anyone who recommends THIS Final Fantasy" goes with VIII. It's not bad but it's way below average. It just happens to be the one where they ditched super deformed character design, so what they're really saying is "I value appearance over everything". IMO.
  • Malek86 13 Sep 2015 16:15:06 10,090 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, we are at least cool that nobody will mention Minesweeper, right?
  • beastmaster 13 Sep 2015 16:16:01 20,676 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Last of Us.

Had it on the PS3. Never payed it. Got it on the PS4. Still haven't played it.
  • superdelphinus 13 Sep 2015 16:22:59 10,344 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Any of the metal gear solid games
  • Max_Powers 13 Sep 2015 16:34:06 1,252 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Never played any MMO or MOBA ever
    Minecraft
    Any of the big mobile games as they all look shite.
    Any sports games since International Superstar Soccer on the N64
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Sep 2015 17:07:36 12,727 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm getting in on the Final Fantasy X lovefest. Every Final Fantasy since has smelled like a tramp's wanking sock.
  • Psiloc 13 Sep 2015 17:11:26 5,486 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    XIV is a really, really good MMO to be fair.
  • Abdu@EG 13 Sep 2015 17:27:43 31 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How about handheld gaming? I couldn't care about them, and I missed some games. Namely, Zedlas, Marios on the NDS.

My first handheld is PSvita, I like it but it's dead.

Maybe I'll get a N3DS to play the exclusives.

superdelphinus wrote:
    Any of the metal gear solid games
    You are missing out a great series.
  • JoeBlade 13 Sep 2015 17:40:19 4,932 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Max_Powers wrote:
    Never played any MMO or MOBA ever
    Minecraft
    Any of the big mobile games as they all look shite.
    Any sports games since International Superstar Soccer on the N64
    Almost my list, except I've not played any sports game (simply don't enjoy them) and did play three MMOs for around a year each and briefly dipped into MOBAs only to discover it's not my thing. Never understood the appeal of Minecraft.

And add almost all console games to that; not because I dislike consoles (that wouldn't make much sense) but because I don't get along with controllers + the typical console games and esp. exclusives tend to be of genres I don't particularly enjoy. And I need a powerful PC for work anyway.

Edit: curse you typos, curse you!

Edited by JoeBlade at 17:40:55 13-09-2015
  • drhickman1983 13 Sep 2015 18:13:59 6,677 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried Warcraft 3 and didn't really get into managing both resource collection and deploying units. I can do one or the other, as soon as I was required to keep an eye on both I'd collapse.

As that seems to be the basic template all RTS games share, I've never touched another RTS game since.
  • DrStrangelove 13 Sep 2015 22:32:11 15,150 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I tried Warcraft 3 and didn't really get into managing both resource collection and deploying units. I can do one or the other, as soon as I was required to keep an eye on both I'd collapse.

As that seems to be the basic template all RTS games share, I've never touched another RTS game since.
    It is intimidating, and these games are made for hardcore freaks with the multitasking abilities of a Google server farm. In skirmish or multiplayer, I'm usually dead within 10 seconds, no matter how hard I try. Campaign is manageable though to some extent.

I really wish there was a coop mode where one player takes care about the building and the other one about the fighting.
  • docrob 13 Sep 2015 23:20:07 1,565 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The Last of Us.

Had it on the PS3. Never payed it. Got it on the PS4. Still haven't played it.
    LOL. Thought it was just me. Had it on PS3, barely played it, got it on PS4 as one of the two games I got with the console. Haven't opened it.
  • FatSternKikwi 14 Sep 2015 02:59:57 1,713 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DFawkes

What on earth? Play Mario Galaxy!

And everyone else. Play the Last of Us!

Edited by FatSternKikwi at 03:01:56 14-09-2015
  • Technoishmatt 14 Sep 2015 03:43:48 4,126 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DrStrangelove 15 or so years ago I remember playing a (free) PC game where one player did the building, RTS style, and all the other players did the fighting, FPS style. Big teams.

Was good fun - but I am pretty sure some people had to do stuff like hack down trees.
  • Khanivor 14 Sep 2015 04:30:56 44,427 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Seeing as I didn't own a console till Rallisport Chalkenge 2 came out on the original Xbox, I missed loads of games. Never played Super Mario passed the first couple of levels.

I've never played The Sentinel.
  • Deleted user 14 September 2015 06:50:16
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:

It is intimidating, and these games are made for hardcore freaks with the multitasking abilities of a Google server farm. In skirmish or multiplayer, I'm usually dead within 10 seconds, no matter how hard I try. Campaign is manageable though to some extent.

I really wish there was a coop mode where one player takes care about the building and the other one about the fighting.
    But who would want to be the builder??? Its why I enjoyed the early total wars before the over world become too much. You would build an army conquer a city which meant you can build a bigger army etc etc
  • DrStrangelove 14 Sep 2015 07:22:33 15,150 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would. Always found the base building more enjoyable than the fighting.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Sep 2015 08:01:03 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I generally collapse under the pressure when it comes to building or controlling anything in real time. I just cannot keep up, and invariably get wiped out.

My friends always say "oh, it becomes much easier if you practice". But, unlike some other kinds of games that I'm bad at, I don't get any fun from RTS games whatsoever. If a learning curve isn't enjoyable for me, I generally don't bother.
  • drhickman1983 14 Sep 2015 09:49:00 6,677 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    ...unlike some other kinds of games that I'm bad at, I don't get any fun from RTS games whatsoever. If a learning curve isn't enjoyable for me, I generally don't bother.
    That's the crux of it. I don't mind a difficulty curve as long as I'm enjoying learning.
  • Rivuzu 14 Sep 2015 10:00:13 18,381 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Minecraft, Terarria (Terraria? Teraria? TERRRRRARRRRRIARRRR? sp?), any of those sort of lego-styled games.
    Any Zelda game, ever. Ever.
    Any game done by Tim Schafer, oddly, but never by design. Just never happened.
    Any racing game that wasn't a kart racer since the PSOne.
    Any jumpscare game, like Amnesia, because I'm a big wuss with dickthumbs.
    Any Donkey Kong game (unless Mario Kart/Smash Bros counts?).
    Any Rayman game.
    Any Resident Evil game (after ten minutes of the first Resi where I went right instead of left and got the poop scared out of me, putting me off it for life).
    MGS1, 3, 4 and 5. Did play 2 though, for some reason.
    Dark Souls beyond the Undead Berg because I was an incompetent buffoon at the time.
  • Psiloc 14 Sep 2015 10:44:50 5,486 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Surprised to hear how many people never played MGS1. I was under the impression it was this seminal moment in gaming that blew everyone's mind, now I hear that most of you reprobates have never bothered with it.

I can understand the sequels being a matter of taste (the ridiculously long cutscenes started with two) but the first one I'd recommend to everybody to this day.
  • Rivuzu 14 Sep 2015 11:24:56 18,381 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Surprised to hear how many people never played MGS1. I was under the impression it was this seminal moment in gaming that blew everyone's mind, now I hear that most of you reprobates have never bothered with it.
    It probably should have been, but having heard my friends playing it and discussing it I just wasn't interested at the time. Cool, a boss can read your memory card and you need to plug your controller into the other port. Sounds pretty gimmicky. But once you'd heard about someone else doing it, the interest of doing it yourself just... wanes.

Plus, any money I had then was being spent in arcades on the local FGC. Far too much money went on that!
  • Psiloc 14 Sep 2015 11:59:03 5,486 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, there are better things to sell it on than the Psycho Mantis fight, especially now that everyone knows about it. It was a surprising game all around though, from the relatively unexplored stealth angle at the time to actually having a decent script and voice acting plus cinematic directing; it eclipsed everything that came before it in it's delivery if nothing else.

It's probably one of those games that seems less special than it should if you played it today because it inspired so many future works. But it certainly stands up if you ask me.

Anyway I can vouch for it having a place in this thread if nothing else, I wish some of you would give it a go.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.