Following Darkest Dungeon Page 2

• yegon 27 Sep 2016 14:37:59 6,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    gamecat wrote:
    Loading seems OK, no complaints about smoothness either. Interface is fiddly as anything though, holding down of the L or R buttons to select is weird, the inventory is a swine to access, and it's missing some button prompts. It also makes zero use of the front touch, while using the back touch. Plus it's all obviously a bit cramped. May stick to playing on the PS4, but shall give another Vita go tonight.
    Eek! Back touch.

I can live with other fiddly elements, but back touch, gah.
  • wobbly_Bob 27 Sep 2016 17:26:11 4,473 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooooh forgot this was out. Thanks thread! Downloading it right now.
  • Trafford 27 Sep 2016 23:34:41 8,039 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone getting crashes to ps4 home screen?
    Happened thrice now as I've started the first quest after reaching the Hamlet.
    Frustrating as I've never had this on any PS4 game.
    I've reported the problem and just started a reinstall...
  • wobbly_Bob 28 Sep 2016 17:58:38 4,473 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is really great! I love it! My only criticism is that it leaves LOADS of stuff unexplained and not in the "not hand holding" good kind of way but more in the "fuck you" kind of way. I had to watch numerous you tube vids and read some pages to know what the fuck is going on and what stuff means. I am still at a loss for some stuff. The one thing that is really bothering me though is...

*drum oll"

Stoppid question #1 (PS4 FOR REFERENCE) How the hell do you pick where to quest???? I just can't figure it. I just know it's going to end up being something stupid that I missed. I just can't seem to pick. It will only pick whatever is closest to the bottom when i move down the screen to the provision text becauses that's the last thing it moved over. I try clicking x and all sorts of things but it does nothing.

EDIT: ok figured it. Press the touch pad. Sigh.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 18:24:21 28-09-2016
  • creepiest-lizard 28 Sep 2016 18:14:41 584 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really like the look of this though I know it will be frustrating beyond measure but What was wondering if is there is any endgame to it or indeed a story with a beginning, middle and end?
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Sep 2016 18:26:43 21,773 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think the principal is to make it to the castle and complete that dungeon to solve the curse that has overcome the family.

I have played this a lot on the PC and I got nowhere near it. There is plot assigned to individual bosses and there is a general plot of sorts, the atmosphere is brilliant though, even without specific plot points.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 18:27:08 28-09-2016
  • creepiest-lizard 28 Sep 2016 19:07:27 584 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds most interesting. think I'll download it tonight
  • SomaticSense 28 Sep 2016 20:00:28 15,112 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just started this. Fuck me, the presentation is outstanding 0_0

It has the atmosphere of a trailer to an early 80s video nasty. I love it!
  • Clart 28 Sep 2016 20:42:02 1,157 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Yes I've been getting this too, usually when completing the Provisioning stage whilst the dungeon is loading. After the game saves now and again, it seems to crash to the ps4 home screen.
  • RelaxedMikki 28 Sep 2016 20:46:27 2,657 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watched some Lets Play. Looks really good.

Super Paper Cthulu and the Thousand Yard Stare?
  • creepiest-lizard 28 Sep 2016 22:19:50 584 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just put a few hours into the start of this. As has been said on here it has outstanding presentation and atmosphere and just pulsates with lovecraftian dread. I have no idea what I'm doing or what all the stats mean but it's been a lot of fun and I've managed to keep all my adventurer's alive so far but I'm sure that'll all change very soon
  • wobbly_Bob 28 Sep 2016 22:52:01 4,473 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Clart wrote:
    Trafford wrote:
    Yes I've been getting this too, usually when completing the Provisioning stage whilst the dungeon is loading. After the game saves now and again, it seems to crash to the ps4 home screen.
    Just what i came here to moan about. The constant crashing is pissing me off. Usually at the provision stage but just had it crash in me after completing a long very difficult quest and i lost everything.
  • gamecat 29 Sep 2016 08:23:21 768 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm holding off playing this more until the crashes are fixed. To date it's the only thing that's ever crashed my Vita, and my PS4 sessions have all ended because it's crashed and I can't be bothered to restart it.

The UI seems deliberately obtuse, cases in point;

GoodForm wrote:
    I'll second the sentiment that I'm unclear about how to select a specific quest over another.
    Dpad then touchpad (that well know selection button?) to confirm

GoodForm wrote:I also don't know how to dismiss hopeless nutcases.
    Found that by accident, but stuffed if I can remember how now!

GoodForm wrote:
    P.S. It feels limited that I can't send multiple characters into the same building for stress relief
    You can, but you have to hold down one of the shoulder buttons, forget which, after selecting your first guy's treatment to treat more people Why, I'm not sure.

Touchpad exits a dungeon, you get a confirm screen if you've not completed the quest, but no screen if you have.
    You can sort your party with l1/r1, by some conditions shown by some incredibly small icons that I haven't a hope of telling what they are.
    I quite often get confused as to where I am on the map, the whole always going left to right on the main screen, but using the right stick to select your direction is weird.

Also, trinkets, not sure what I do with them, or they just do their own thing?

Edited by gamecat at 08:24:48 29-09-2016
  • wobbly_Bob 29 Sep 2016 08:46:34 4,473 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @gamecat

The UI is fucking torturous.

To dismiss a party member: it's top left where you can change the characters name.

The trinkets: you can equip trinkets to characters. Have the character screen and trinket screen open and transfer it across.
  • Gregolution 29 Sep 2016 09:05:34 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Just started this. Fuck me, the presentation is outstanding 0_0

It has the atmosphere of a trailer to an early 80s video nasty. I love it!
    +1. So much so. And best narration ever :)
  • Gregolution 29 Sep 2016 09:08:18 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Starting to slowly get to grips with this but damn it's hard. I've had 1 complete wipe already and exited the last dungeon without finishing cause I could see it happening again.

Only just worked out to hold L1 and check the light + top it up to help stress levels. Very useful that!

Don't really see the strategy in moving people around in the party yet, but I'm sure that will come.
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Sep 2016 09:16:37 21,773 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:

Don't really see the strategy in moving people around in the party yet, but I'm sure that will come.
    Certain enemies will push or pull specific characters, some characters cannot function at all if they are on the back rank
  • gamecat 29 Sep 2016 09:18:39 768 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers for the trinket thing, would never have used them otherwise.

They all have preferred party positions if you check the character detail page (square).
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Sep 2016 09:21:32 21,773 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In regards of stress, I found it crucial to focus on the enemies that cause stress, the mage, healer and highwayman all have long-range attacks that are hanfy for this. The Hellion also has a good long range attack.

One feature that is worth noting, assuming it is on the Ps4 version, is that you can purchase new skills and switch them around in the training area, or workshop, i cant quite remember which. Not every skill is quite as powerful or tactically useful.
  • Gregolution 29 Sep 2016 09:30:28 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:

Certain enemies will push or pull specific characters, some characters cannot function at all if they are on the back rank
    I realize there are attacks that can only be used at certain ranges, but how would I know to pull one enemy to the front so he can't attack for example? Is there a way to see what their attacks are?
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Sep 2016 09:43:15 21,773 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution There wasn't a way to do that on the PC. The enemies are always a mystery but you learn them pretty quickly. In the first area it is mostly panic inducing enemies in the back row, in the bog it is poison etc.

I think it is safe to assume that shuffling their pack around is always of benefit. It also allows you to use your melee fighters to quickly deal with their casters.
  • Rivuzu 29 Sep 2016 11:26:58 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I might have overlooked this. Is it worth the 18 on the store?
  • wobbly_Bob 29 Sep 2016 11:38:08 4,473 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rivuzu

I would say it most definitely is. As unmentioned in this thread, it has some problems: the occasional crashing and fiddly obtuse ui but i can live with those things.
  • RelaxedMikki 29 Sep 2016 14:37:53 2,657 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the UI is OK once you get used to it.

It doesn't take too many inputs to getthings done, it is just a bit random with what controls are used for what action... (like right touchpad to start a quest, or triangle in the inventory section to equip trinkets...).

I really like the game. No crashes yet. Lost our key Palladin fellah to a couple of brutal criticals and then had to flee the woods. We had dumped all our supplies to carry loot and were on the verge of starvation...
  • Baddamobs 29 Sep 2016 14:45:17 136 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki "Packs laden with loot, are often low on supplies."
  • Baddamobs 29 Sep 2016 14:46:27 136 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Rivuzu Can't speak for the Vita version, but the game itself is pretty damn good: unforgiving as hell, but I imagine that more of a point of attraction than anything else.
  • SomaticSense 30 Sep 2016 14:48:36 15,112 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Christ this game is brutal, but so, so good.

Question for the PC vets: Is it normal to abandon 90% of the quests I undertake? As soon as shit looks like it's about to go bad, like every member at -50% and are breaking via stress, I bail out with the takings I've accrued up until then.

Is that a viable way to play? Or am I going to get caught in an unmanageable situation where all my members have built up too much stress via slinking back to town with their tails between their legs? Should I be throwing members into death more often in order to clear the quests?
  • SomaticSense 30 Sep 2016 14:50:19 15,112 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    I might have overlooked this. Is it worth the 18 on the store?
    Yes. You especially will fucking adore it :)

edit: Also I'll echo what Mikki said. It's clear that it's a PC-centric dev with no console experience porting a heavily mouse-driven PC game. At first the UI looks and feels garbage, but over time and once you memorise the button shortcuts and combos it gets better and starts to make more sense.

Edited by SomaticSense at 14:56:46 30-09-2016

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.