Following Darkest Dungeon Page 11

• Mola_Ram 22 Feb 2018 11:46:15 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    She's absolutely fantastic with a Flagellant. The "protect me!" skill is great when you have a character who *wants* to take damage.
    Every time I accidentally heal my flagellant - a vestigial videogame reaction to a character's health getting low - I want to punch myself in the balls. :-/
    Nooooooo, let the man suffer! He can heal himself and bleed enemies at the same time!

Or even better, let him suffer enough to get to Death's Door, watch as he automatically heals your entire party for 25% of their health, and *then* have him heal himself and bleed enemies.
  • Phattso 22 Feb 2018 13:16:46 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yup. Dude is a wrecking ball.
  • cs96and 22 Feb 2018 18:30:41 220 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yay! the second Darkest Dungeon quest has finally been brought low and driven into the mud! Confidence surges as the enemy crumbles!

It was my third attempt and went much much better than my previous 2. I guess I had learned from my previous mistakes.

Still not looking forward to the level 5 Siren boss though :(
  • gamecat 22 Feb 2018 18:33:23 768 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Siren is cake, just bring an Antiquarian, she has the lowest stats so gets the charm every time, then proceeds to do stuff all to your guys.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2018 09:46:40 39,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It took me 80 hours or so across two different systems before I realised you can change your abilities IN THE BLOODY DUNGEON.

I am idiot.
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2018 09:52:13 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    30 hours in on Switch and I think I'm hitting a wall. I can't survive any of the Rank 5 runs I've attempted, despite having maxed out characters with maxed out gear, reasonable trinkets, and what I think are decent abilities.

I'm still messing with team combos, and learning the ropes of the various classes, but I must confess that my attention is starting to waver.

I can trounce most Rank 3 runs, even with a group around Resolve 3 or 4, but yet to succeed at Rank 5 with a max level crew and, so it follows, nowhere near to attempting the Darkest Dungeon itself.

My current plan of action is to scope out the trinkets available for quests and target the ones that'll specifically ameliorate the cause of my last defeat. Is that sensible? Or should I keep just hurling bodies at the red quests until the tide of corpses overwhelms the game and I win? :)
  • Mola_Ram 23 Feb 2018 09:54:52 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What, specifically, is getting you killed? I know it might be difficult to pinpoint, but I could maybe offer advice if there was some common thread.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2018 09:58:25 39,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Phattso I am surprised you made it that far so quickly (with maxed out gear etc.) - I spent about the same time and I am still building the hamlet - you're playing without the DLC though, right?

But yeah, you're now in that phase where the game definitely becomes less ... well, fun, if only because it takes bloody ages to max out replacement characters even with a fully upgraded Nomad's Wagon. It's this phase where I'd love to have a savegame before a dungeon run, to soften THE GRIND, and to be able to experiment with the really tough dungeons without having to spend hours again to just get there if things go pear-shaped.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Feb 2018 10:02:39 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    General advice for champion dungeons is to stack stuns and debuffs on enemies. Because they hit really, really hard.

And don't go in there with people already stressed out. It ends badly.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Feb 2018 10:06:08 21,766 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    It took me 80 hours or so across two different systems before I realised you can change your abilities IN THE BLOODY DUNGEON.

I am idiot.
    Oh really? I played loads of this last year and had no idea either. Is it a new feature or just double duncery?
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2018 10:07:07 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, my main issue is just with me team getting utterly creamed within two or three battles. I have tried to be as tactical as I can, debuffs on them, dodge/damage buffs on me, etc. etc. but it seems a mahoosive jump up from the previous tier.

Am I dreaming, or is there no Tier 4 dungeon quest? 1, 3, and 5 (and 6 obv.) is all I recall seeing.

Good to know the game naturally plateaus here, I won't allow myself to get too despondent at my relative lack of progress. :)

And yeah - not playing with all the DLC turned on, just the Shieldbreaker and Flagellant. Haven't even turned on the hamlet expansion.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Feb 2018 10:07:41 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's always been a thing afaik. Though I don't often find that I change them in dungeons, unless I really need different skills for a boss or whatever.
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2018 10:08:29 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

I am idiot.
    Oh really? I played loads of this last year and had no idea either. Is it a new feature or just double duncery?
    *sheepishly raises hand* I was a good half-dozen hours in before I realised you could change the abilities at all. I thought characters came with a 'roll' of abilities, and that's what you had to work with. D'oh! :)

Didn't know you could tweak them in dungeons though - maybe that could aid in my champion quest woes...
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Feb 2018 10:09:50 21,766 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    @Phattso I am surprised you made it that far so quickly (with maxed out gear etc.) - I spent about the same time and I am still building the hamlet - you're playing without the DLC though, right?

But yeah, you're now in that phase where the game definitely becomes less ... well, fun, if only because it takes bloody ages to max out replacement characters even with a fully upgraded Nomad's Wagon. It's this phase where I'd love to have a savegame before a dungeon run, to soften THE GRIND, and to be able to experiment with the really tough dungeons without having to spend hours again to just get there if things go pear-shaped.
    Aye, this is pretty much where I stopped playing the game as I run out of steam with the grind.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2018 10:10:34 39,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    (Stage coach, not Nomad's Wagon.)
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2018 10:11:59 39,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

I am idiot.
    I am not ... sure. My excuse is that it probably wasn't there during early access so I never realised they added it at some point...
  • Mola_Ram 23 Feb 2018 10:14:31 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Yeah, my main issue is just with me team getting utterly creamed within two or three battles. I have tried to be as tactical as I can, debuffs on them, dodge/damage buffs on me, etc. etc. but it seems a mahoosive jump up from the previous tier.

Am I dreaming, or is there no Tier 4 dungeon quest? 1, 3, and 5 (and 6 obv.) is all I recall seeing.

Good to know the game naturally plateaus here, I won't allow myself to get too despondent at my relative lack of progress. :)

And yeah - not playing with all the DLC turned on, just the Shieldbreaker and Flagellant. Haven't even turned on the hamlet expansion.
    A lot depends on preparation. So if you're going to the Ruins, don't take heroes or abilities that inflict Bleed. A lot of the skill comes from knowing the sorts of things you're likely to encounter, and planning for those before you even embark.

Also (and this should go without saying), make sure that your equipment is upgraded. And your skills. In fact, upgrading your Hamlet is probably even more important than upgrading your team.
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2018 10:21:41 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, all my Resolve 6 heroes have max weapon, armour, and all of their skills. I'm aware of Bleed being good against people, Holy being good against Cthulhu's lot, etc. and balance my teams accordingly.

Might just be a matter of having at it again and again and again until some insight strikes. :)
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2018 10:22:58 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    (I basically spent all my gaming time on one weekend doing Antiquarian runs to amass cash and trinkets, upgrading the Hamlet as I went. It's not quite maxed out - I don't have all the price reducing upgrades - but I can get to maximum skills for the heroes at least, and I have Resolve 4 dudes coming in on the wagon.)

Edited by Phattso at 10:23:15 23-02-2018
  • Mola_Ram 23 Feb 2018 10:24:18 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Be sure to have stress healers around. So like a Houndmaster, Jester, etc. Stress is a bigger problem than regular wounding, particularly in high level dungeons.
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2018 10:43:02 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, Jester is my go-to for Rank 2 in the lineup. Although he does dart around a lot. :)
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2018 11:46:09 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OK, I just tried another level 5 quest in the Ruins. Picked the easiest I could: explore 90% of rooms, and it was Short so a complete blessing. Lost a Resolve 6 Crusader to a Heart Attack, and everyone else had their resolve tested. Didn't really leave there with much to show for the effort: a so-so- trinket, not much cash, not many heirlooms, down one dude, and a massive therapy bill for the rest.

Won't be rushing back. :)
  • Mola_Ram 23 Feb 2018 11:55:48 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also (and I know this is probably not helpful), but I'd imagine that playing on Radiant has probably not helped you prepare for dungeons that you can't really be overleveled for.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:56:59 23-02-2018
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2018 11:58:47 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    While I know I've definitely had an easy ride so far, my issue is that I can't see what I could be doing vastly differently to have a better outcome. That said, today's run was easily the best I've had so I guess I'm making more progress than I thought. Just doesn't feel it - and I'd imagine a boss fight at the end of a Long quest is quite far out of reach right now.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2018 12:29:08 39,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Currently love playing with a shieldbreaker and a highwayman switching positions to and fro. With the shieldbreaker's insane blight abilites and the highwayman's riposte, the game almost plays itself.

Shieldbreakers seem to be bloody rare though, and always appear at level 0 in my coach.
  • timur 23 Feb 2018 13:20:42 28 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought this on the Switch now (thanks for the advice) and the atmosphere is lovely. So far I've started with all the DLC enabled except for the Crimson Court and I'm playing on Radiant. Is that what people would suggest?

At the moment I've not really got very much to go on in terms of choosing one attack over another but I imagine that'll become more familiar soon.

Those controls really are pretty special though - and not in a good way, sadly. The two analogue sticks are used very confusingly and even basic navigation is opaque. At the end of a corridor, do I press the direction I want to go in on the right analogue stick? It's about as counterintuitive as it gets.
  • Phattso 23 Feb 2018 13:25:12 23,313 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yep, right analogue stick to choose your next passageway. It's all a bit... eclectic. After a while you just accept it, get used to it, and don't even notice it. Promise. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2018 14:03:58 39,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Occasionally you *will* accidentally sell your rarest trinket though.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Feb 2018 16:20:47 21,766 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

I am idiot.
    I am not ... sure. My excuse is that it probably wasn't there during early access so I never realised they added it at some point...
    I also played it early access so that must be it, clearly no other explanation 😃
  • Mola_Ram 24 Feb 2018 09:37:56 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Argh, note to self: challenge the Shambler AFTER you kill the boss in a boss run, not before. I lost a good Plague Doctor to the flesh, mostly because he was still all stressed out from the Shambler fight.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.