Following Darkest Dungeon Page 13

Next Last
  • Duffking 8 Mar 2018 18:18:18 15,588 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had the Shieldbreaker nightmare a couple of times now but the enemies always leave after roughly 2 rounds. Should they be leaving that quickly? I'm worried I won't be able to get the unique items from it at this rate.

Edit: Or when it says each encounter is only fought once, does that mean *won* once?

Edited by Duffking at 18:19:08 08-03-2018
  • Phattso 8 Mar 2018 18:23:55 23,314 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had a Shieldbreaker nightmare last night that went to four rounds, I don't recall them ever having left actually? Only had it three or four times, always survived.
  • cs96and 8 Mar 2018 18:36:46 220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The nightmare ends if the shieldbreaker reaches death's door or has a heart attack. Which is quite easy to do with the massive stress damage she is taking each round.

Edited by cs96and at 18:37:07 08-03-2018
  • cs96and 8 Mar 2018 18:39:53 220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Accidentally enabled the Crimson Court (A/B confusion coming from the Xbox controller) so I have that tempting me in but there doesn't seem any point in engaging with that until I've bested the standard game. Opinions? Should I dip a toe in regardless? :)
    I enabled it after completing the main game, but I actually wish I enabled it earlier now. You still have to enter the old dungeons to get invitations for the epic quests, but so far I've not managed to get any :-( so I am stuck grinding the old levels waiting for a gatekeeper to turn up.
  • docrob 8 Mar 2018 19:01:29 924 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am really shite at this. I only have the base game. I want the two DLC classes - the Shieldbreaker seems to be a standalone, but the Flagellant only comes in the Crimson Court. Do you have to enable all the DLC to use the class?
  • cs96and 8 Mar 2018 20:15:22 220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The are three parts to the crimson court dlc that can all be enabled separately. The flagellant can be enabled separately from everything else. You probably want to enable the districts as well.
  • docrob 8 Mar 2018 20:45:35 924 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers!
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Mar 2018 21:03:15 21,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @cs96and you probably should have been a general with the amount of fighters you have sent off to their deaths 😉

I must have another run at it when my computer is up and running again as I do really like it and I am sure they have improved the game since I last played it.
  • Duffking 8 Mar 2018 21:07:17 15,588 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cs96and wrote:
    The nightmare ends if the shieldbreaker reaches death's door or has a heart attack. Which is quite easy to do with the massive stress damage she is taking each round.
    She was at 2 bars of stress and had plenty of health, that's what I don't understand :/ I'd just killed one enemy and the last would have died on my next turn.
  • cs96and 9 Mar 2018 10:51:52 220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well my first encounter with the Baron didn't go well.
  • Phattso 9 Mar 2018 10:53:45 23,314 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I took my first foray into the Crimson Court yesterday. Houndmaster has a little infection now. Sure it's nothing. Sure he'll be fine.

/twitches
  • Mola_Ram 9 Mar 2018 11:05:40 17,972 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just don't give him holy water.
  • cs96and 9 Mar 2018 11:21:50 220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And don't give The Blood to your un-infected heroes either
  • Dizzy 15 Mar 2018 09:09:31 3,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I did a restart and am doing quite well now.

Just killed the Hag yesterday.... damn

"Into the pot!!!"

I must say the game has an incredible art style.

MY daughter usually watches when I play. She said... "What is in the Darkest Dungeon? Cthulhu?". "Yes probably". I raised her well.
  • StrikeForce 17 Apr 2018 11:36:00 198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, bugger it. I've just deleted this in fury.

Played it on release and for ages but got fed up of the grind preparing for the first DD assault.

Started another game a couple of weeks ago determined to finish it. Got up to second DD assault.

I read a few tips on what to expect for it, as my interest was waning again and I just wanted to power through to completion. However, my first attempt on the second DD was hampered by me forgetting to upgrade all the abilities on my Man-at-Arms. Stupid error. Despite this I still nearly finished the level, but his weak abilities caused a fatal domino-effect on the final battle and I pulled out.

Still, I gritted my teeth and went through another arduous grind of levelling up replacement Abomination and Man-at-Arms that I lost on the mission - and prepared myself for another assault on the second dungeon.

Everything was in place - I knew exactly what to expect, had my route planned, was confident I would succeed on this attempt.

As soon as I started a battle with the first mini-boss I realised something was wrong. Everyone was taking too much damage. I checked my character screens and saw that the trinket spots where I'd equipped the Fire Talisman thingy's was empty on each character.

I know I fucking equipped them, I remember checking and re-checking that I had the right trinkets and I definitely equipped the most fucking important ones.

Is this a known glitch? Or have I too descended into madness?

Either way, it's put me off completely. I can't be arsed with the grind to level up more heroes to take it on again, let alone the two subsequent dungeons. Shame, it's a great game, but it just became too much of a slog for me to continue.
  • Rhaegyr 17 Apr 2018 11:52:18 4,456 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They seriously misjudged the grinding in this game imo.

I loved the game for 10-20 hours (and didn't lose too many characters) but the slow crawl of progress is a real killer.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Apr 2018 12:46:16 3,576 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I enjoyed the first 10-12 hours, but...

Darkest Dungeon combines three elements that should never sit together in a game. Namely:

1) High difficulty
    2) High failure penalties
    3) High RNG

Many great games feature one of the above (Dark Souls, for instance, has high difficulty, but low failure penalties and low RNG) and some even feature two. But put all three together and you have a recipe for unfairness and frustration.

There are some other examples of all three converging in the same game - for instance in an Ironman playthrough of XCom/XCom 2 - but only in optional challenge modes rather than in the core game. Ultimately, I think the Darkest Dungeon devs fell a little bit too much in love with the whole "Prepare to Die" marketing phenomenon without stopping to think about what can make difficult games really good.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Apr 2018 12:55:27 17,972 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I dunno, I think that the "RNG" in it can be mitigated with smart play. I'm currently watching a playthrough of it, and the guy has lost a few people (sometimes through bad luck, mostly through his own mistakes) but has been able to bounce back from it every time.

It's like any roguelike. Sometimes you get a bad couple of rolls, and success depends on how you react to them.
  • Rhaegyr 17 Apr 2018 13:26:26 4,456 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bouncing back in itself isn't the issue, it's more the time taken to actually do it.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Apr 2018 13:33:08 17,972 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess if you're regularly getting party wipes it could be a problem to continually train new people up. But I generally retreat the minute I lose someone, if not before, mission be damned (though yeah, that's more difficult in the Darkest Dungeon itself).

The game isn't perfect, mind. I think that there should be a difficulty level between Veteran and Champion, because the spike is rather large. But I've personally never found it frustrating in a bad way.
  • monkman76 17 Apr 2018 13:55:24 12,852 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought the difficulty levels were Radiant, Darkest and Stygian, or something like that?
  • Phattso 17 Apr 2018 14:09:20 23,314 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think he's referring to the difficulty of the missions in the different areas. Normal, Veteran, and Champion (1,3, and 5 I think).

I also agree. It's a massive step up from 3 to 5, which can mean levelling up occasionally effs you in the A where you get unlucky. I still haven't attempted the Darkest Dungeon. :-(

Game had its hooks into me for a month and a half... but then just didn't so much any more.
  • monkman76 17 Apr 2018 15:47:16 12,852 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah I see, thanks.

Yeah I think my desire to try this has waned a little. Although I note it's currently on sale on Switch, and now Dark Souls has been delayed... hm.
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Apr 2018 15:52:51 39,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Uh, hm, yeah, while I fully agree that it's too frustrating/grindy at some point, and would benefit from a savegame at the start of a dungeon, it still is one of *the* best games of the last few years for me. PC (from early access days on) and Switch version combined, I must have played this for way more than 100 hours now.

I wouldn't let it depend on whether it's too difficult at some point, but if the atmosphere, quotes, etc., appeal to you. It's an extra-ordinary game, warts and all, and deserves to be experienced.

Edited by UncleLou at 15:53:24 17-04-2018
  • cs96and 26 Apr 2018 12:27:53 220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @StrikeForce The second DD quest is the hardest quest in the entire game. Its an absolute bastard. Took me about 3 or 4 attempts to get through it. And yes, the grind after each failure was a pain in the arse.

I think the torch trinkets are gliched. After my first failure I ended up with an extra one from somewhere, so I then had enough to equip one on every person. After I finally completed the quest, the extra one disappeared!

After completeing the main game and the first Crimson Court boss, I've given up on the game for the time being.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.