Following Darkest Dungeon Page 14

Next Last
  • Bichii 7 May 2020 09:08:57 4,606 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good point :) if one gits gud then the game is more fun!
  • Bichii 15 May 2020 17:06:00 4,606 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pretty good stuff but I feel like the game explains next to sod all. Probably best if I spend ages reading some online guide. Like the jester for example, clearly is very different to the other characters but it is not clear how to use him. How about a in game beast guide!?

Think I'm week12 or 13, I've quit two expeditions but apart from that it's gone pretty well with zero deaths so far. Plenty of mentally ruined adventures though. Got 9 of them to rank 2 and just somehow about the necromancer boss with a rank 0 team. When the winning hit was made my four characters were on 0,1,3&0 health!
  • Mola_Ram 16 May 2020 00:52:20 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are certain classes that only really work when they're in certain ranks of the party, and become useless if an enemy shuffles them around. So if your Leper gets shunted to the back row or your Arbalest to the front, you need some way of getting them back where they belong. The Jester (and Grave Robber too) can help with that, in that a couple of their attacks move them forward or back.

The Jester is also good at causing Bleed, amazing at buffing, and at stress healing. Stress is a really big problem in this game, it's arguably way more serious than physical injuries. Particularly when you start going to longer and harder dungeons.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 08:14:19 16-05-2020
  • Bichii 16 May 2020 12:37:49 4,606 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cool thanks, think I best read up a lot before I try the rank 2 dungeons.
  • Mola_Ram 16 May 2020 15:16:06 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't research too much, half the fun* of this game is finding out for yourself what is Not A Good Idea. Failure in these games is just a part of your story!

*your definition of "fun" may differ
  • Trafford 16 May 2020 15:26:09 9,279 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been playing this a lot the last week, bought it on release and had a number of attempts.
    This time it's going well, starting on the 3rd tier bosses.
    Really lover the Man at Arm's and Highway Man combo in the front ranks. With riposte and the movement between the two positions im smashing through the regular battles.
  • Bichii 25 May 2020 16:20:42 4,606 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not sure how much more I'll play. I do enjoy it but it feels like an endless grind unless I'm doing it wrong. I've won pretty much every week, only lost three heroes and yet it feels like almost no progression. Obviously the goal is to defeat the darkest dungeon which is rank 5. So I need maybe ten heroes at 5 rank ish. Feels like I've played this forever and I've only got maybe 7 at rank 3 and another ten at rank 2. Plus that's with almost never failing! I'd understand the loooong grind if I kept losing all my hero's but I'm not.
  • Mola_Ram 25 May 2020 20:55:46 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you doing Veteran and Champion dungeons yet? You should have been forced to do at least Veteran, unless you're playing on Radiant. They might satisfy your wish to die more.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 21:56:12 25-05-2020
  • damagedinc 10 Nov 2020 13:13:56 3,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thought I would resurrect this thread back from the pit!

Anyone still dabbling in it?

Feel like I'm over a bit of a hump thanks to mola and some advice/videos etc. Obsessed with it at the moment.
  • damagedinc 10 Nov 2020 13:14:36 3,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't get the dlc version stupidly. Might hold out though as by the time I've had my fill with it the 2nd one might be making its appearance on various consoles
  • Mola_Ram 10 Nov 2020 14:40:09 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You probably don't want the DLC anyway if you're still learning the game. It adds complications that make the base game more interesting, but also harder.
  • GloatingSwine 15 Nov 2020 21:05:32 3,914 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Even if you do have the DLC it asks you which ones you want to turn on or off when you start a new game.

Crimson Court is not reccommended for the first time through.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Nov 2020 21:36:25 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not sure if you can add Crimson Court later on in the game, after you've already started it. That might be a good option, once you have a handle on the regular game.

And you can just add the bits of the DLC that don't really change the dungeons. The Flagellent and Shieldbreaker classes, town districts, etc.
  • damagedinc 12 Dec 2020 01:22:25 3,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tackled my first "darkest dungeon" was all set to beat the boss but it summoned a defensive wall after I killed his friend. Probably shouldn't have done that as it then meant i was taking too long to deal damage and had a squad wipe.

Loving this game so much. Just brutal to have 4 level 6 characters wiped out. Doesnt take too long to bring up a new batch but still hurts haha.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Dec 2020 01:28:39 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah yeah, that sucks. It's probably the worst thing about the game, losing people and having to train up others to replace them. At least with the right upgrades, you can get them started at a higher level.
  • damagedinc 11 Jan 2021 09:45:55 3,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    *update*

Got to the 3rd assault, was being teleported left right and centre. Had to eventually abandon. Was so close to doing it first time.

My roster is now shot. Trying to muster up the resolve to build up a new set of cannon fodder to see it through to the end.

Many people here actually finish the 4th/final assault?
  • Bichii 11 Jan 2021 09:54:16 4,606 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Great game but I binned it. Beat a few bosses but I don't have the desire or patience to build up rosters again after a bad run.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jan 2021 09:57:00 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I've done it. Unfortunately, a lot of the gitting gud at this game comes from knowing what to expect, learning through failure (or looking up guides lol), and the requirements for entering the Darkest Dungeon are high enough that failure in it hurts extra hard.

It's probably the worst thing about the game, really, that you have to grind quite a bit if you lose important adventurers. Hopefully they can tweak it a bit in the sequel.
  • damagedinc 11 Jan 2021 12:29:31 3,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah it's annoying as I've got so far with it, giving up now niggles. 60-70 hours in though I feel my time is coming to an end.

Absolutely loved it though. Might try and at least finish the 3rd assault then maybe chip in here and there to see it to the end.

I think some rethink of the consequences for a lost adventure for the second one is needed. Feel like I've earnt my right to keep fighting for the 3rd assault but I will now have to go back and level up some characters to 6 to go again.

Albeit with various trinkets and completed party bonuses for previous assaults it wouldnt take that long. Just dont have the will to work through a few long dungeons to get them there.

That said though I've bloody loved my time with it.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jan 2021 12:37:16 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it helps, the final DD run is quite a bit easier imo.
  • damagedinc 11 Jan 2021 14:45:23 3,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sigh....once more unto the breach
  • Rogueywon 11 Jan 2021 14:54:11 11,973 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It was incidents like the ones described above that bounced me off this game three times, once at a pretty late stage. I just don't like the combination of heavy RNG and serious long-term consequences.
  • Cappy 11 Jan 2021 15:40:57 14,312 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The game can be a bit harsh sometimes but it's all part of it's particular charm. It's definitely one of the standout RPGs of the generation and definite proof that blockbuster budgets and massive dev teams are not strictly necessary.

Square Enix pissed away a decade and a half (and an absolute fortune) with little to show for it when it comes to compelling games, all it takes is a couple of people with an idea and the determination to see it through.
  • ThrowingTuba 11 Jan 2021 20:37:48 268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iíd love a slightly easier version of this, I know thatís not really the point but I put in 40+ hours grinding out two or three teams only for the crazy penalties on the Darkest levels to fuck them all over. Difficulty in souls games is one thing, where you have to bang your head against a wall for a bit, but this is something else.

As a result itís left me with an overall negative impression of the game despite all hours of enjoyment I had with it. Just IMHO of course!
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jan 2021 21:36:55 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    It was incidents like the ones described above that bounced me off this game three times, once at a pretty late stage. I just don't like the combination of heavy RNG and serious long-term consequences.
    Plenty of people have finished this game consistently with low or zero casualties, so I really don't think RNG is as important as you make it out to be. It's more about how you respond to the RNG, which is the case for just about every roguelike or roguelite.

It's fine if you don't like that, but it sounds like an issue you have with the genre, not this game in particular.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 21:42:01 11-01-2021
  • Rogueywon 11 Jan 2021 22:20:49 11,973 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Mola_Ram It's a combination of RNG and consequences. Slay the Spire has high RNG, but it's fine there because even a successful run is over and done in 45 minutes. Darkest Dungeon is emphatically not a roguelike. Consequences persist between missions and can take many hours to recover from.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Jan 2021 22:25:04 40,632 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I absolutely adore DD, but I've never finished it. The game desperately needs a reloadable checkpoint before dungeons. Optional, for all I care. I've started it often, and always gave up at some point, because leveling up new characters becomes a chore.

Obviously it's meant to raise the stakes and make the game more thrilling to play, but it's just too much after a while.
  • damagedinc 11 Jan 2021 23:16:36 3,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As much as I've been a victim of it I just dont think they can change it. Maybe offer up a better levelling up trinket for each completed assault. Increasing in virtue with each assault done.

As mola has pointed out, plenty of people can get through the game virtually unscathed. So it is possible, just means that most people might bounce of it. If they were to lose it completly though the whole usp of the game would be lost.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jan 2021 23:59:35 25,904 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think they had the right idea when they introduced Radiant difficulty. Keep the mechanics basically the same, but make it easier to level people up.

Also, I'm not sure if this is possible on Switch, but on the PC there are a whole lot of config options that you can fiddle with if you don't like a particular game mechanic. Might be worth a look if you're bouncing off it.
  • Cappy 12 Jan 2021 12:16:35 14,312 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I absolutely adore DD, but I've never finished it. The game desperately needs a reloadable checkpoint before dungeons. Optional, for all I care. I've started it often, and always gave up at some point, because leveling up new characters becomes a chore.

Obviously it's meant to raise the stakes and make the game more thrilling to play, but it's just too much after a while.
    The game does constantly checkpoint progress.

If a fight goes badly, before progressing past the outcome screen just quit to the main menu and reload. You'll be back at the beginning of the fight, giving you a chance to either run away if it's a non-boss fight or a chance at a do-over with what you learned from the first attempt.

Any run where you come back with your veteran dungeon crawlers in reasonable condition with some loot is a success, fortunately Darkest Dungeon doesn't also impose time limits on objectives. Sometimes you do need to retreat and assemble the right party before going back to complete the objective. After a certain point, unless you're playing using a guide you're relying on slim odds so you need to take every opportunity to scout out areas and prepare for bosses.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.