Following Hollow Knight Page 52

• Murbs 10 Mar 2020 08:48:45 24,746 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @ZuluHero erm... In Dirtmouth? I'm not sure - probably not then!

I did have a wander round some areas I couldn't previously reach and collect some bits and bobs yesterday so it wasn't all wasted.

Edited by Murbs at 08:49:43 10-03-2020
  • askew 10 Mar 2020 09:48:15 21,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Enjoying Murbs' and Docrobs' experiences here. I need to get back into it. I believe I was fighting Wasp, but continually dying (which is cool), but when trying to get back to my corpse through the jungle got killed again, so lost a decent amount of coin :(
  • ZuluHero 10 Mar 2020 13:49:37 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    @ZuluHero erm... In Dirtmouth? I'm not sure - probably not then!

I did have a wander round some areas I couldn't previously reach and collect some bits and bobs yesterday so it wasn't all wasted.
    There are a couple (4 I think?) , but the easiest one to get is Sly's one.

Some people say to save it and go the roundabout way into the Waterways, but I think for you it's not worth it. Better to make progress :)
  • ZuluHero 10 Mar 2020 13:50:19 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BTW It's something like 900 geo.
  • Murbs 10 Mar 2020 13:56:13 24,746 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @ZuluHero but I was saving up for the lantern! 🙁
  • Murbs 10 Mar 2020 13:57:01 24,746 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'll have to check now much I left in the bank.
  • ZuluHero 10 Mar 2020 14:03:14 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just have a session of geo-farming. Do a couple of loops of somewhere, resting at a bench in between to reset the enemies.

If you've found any relics, you can sell them to the vendor in CoT.
  • docrob 10 Mar 2020 18:38:19 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whenever I need Geo, thereís an easy loop I do. From the Forgotten Crossroads stag station bench, go one screen right and up a bit. Thereís an exit on the right of the screen. Thereís a false wall opposite it with a bird enemy behind it that drops 6 geo. Above there there are two more enemies that drop 3 each. With Gathering Swarm and Fragile Greed, I get 12-15 geo each time and it takes me about 10 seconds. Then I exit stage right, they all respawn, rinse and repeat. Remarkable how fast it mounts up.
  • docrob 10 Mar 2020 18:38:20 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • docrob 10 Mar 2020 18:51:03 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Right now I could power through to the standard ending, or prolong things by going for the Ďgoodí ending. (Donít judge me, Iíve explored each area without help, but I probably only have time for one playthrough and Iíve not been above a little web research to make sure I get the full experience).

Not sure which to do - Iíve really enjoyed the game, but I would like to play something different now!
  • ZuluHero 10 Mar 2020 19:37:04 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was going to suggest that crossroads loop, but when you have access to the CoT there are much better options.

You can go for whichever ending you like as there is a bench right outside the boss that you reload from after the game ends.
  • ZuluHero 10 Mar 2020 19:37:51 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I actually quite like the first ending, suits the tone of the game well.
  • Murbs 10 Mar 2020 23:21:31 24,746 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Found my way into the waterways; bought the key as suggested.

Died.

Saved and quit.
  • ZuluHero 10 Mar 2020 23:38:30 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aww, sorry dude
  • docrob 11 Mar 2020 00:50:03 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Found my way into the waterways; bought the key as suggested.

Died.

Saved and quit.
    When I first went down there, I didn't realise you could climb back out again. You can - it's just a bit tricky. The bench is pretty close (you have beaten the Soul Master, so you have Desolate Dive).

Took down Nosk this evening. Had a tilt at the Hive Knight as well, but died on my first shot and couldn't face the boss run again.
  • Murbs 11 Mar 2020 10:47:32 24,746 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob yup, I went straight back down there shortly after posting and had a rummage around. Found the bench (actually, I'm *really* starting to come round on the signposting side of things - this was cleverly done), found Cornifer, found a mask shard, and found the Dung Defender. Not a difficult fight - I'd even say it was fun!

I see there's a long horizontal dash section in the far right that appears to cross over a different part of the map, but after jumping across I got cold feet and jumped back ;-)

Those grubs in the waterways though - the ones with different forms - they're a pain!
  • docrob 12 Mar 2020 17:50:19 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Beat the Watcher Knights! \o/

They really are a massive pain in the arse.

Tried various strategies that didnít work - including various combinations of AoE charms (someone said there is one that makes the fight trivial - WHICH ONE?)

What eventually worked was this: I equipped Quick Slash, Stalwart Shell, Thorns of Agony and Lifeblood Heart. And then I tanked them. Barely even tried to dodge. If you just stand there and hit them they die quite fast, and you can sometimes hit both at once. It was the Lifeblood Heart that made the difference in the end - I needed the extra two masks in order to get through to the end of the fight.

Next stop: back to Kingdomís Edge...
  • docrob 12 Mar 2020 19:10:20 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Beat the Enraged Guardian. He was also really annoying, and I died in the process of killing him (so no Geo!) I only did it to upgrade my masks (I have 8 now!) and my soul vessels (2) before moving on to find Hornet.
  • Tomo 12 Mar 2020 19:48:22 17,630 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @docrob

Think that was basically my strategy for the Watcher Knights too. Did a fairly loud cheer when I finally did them.
  • docrob 12 Mar 2020 19:54:33 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Because you get two on the screen at once and they attack independently, it is ridiculously hard (even by HK standards) to dodge their attacks. I actually adopted pretty much the same strategy with the Enraged Guardian, for similar reasons.
  • Tomo 12 Mar 2020 21:55:18 17,630 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah that fight taught me you need to be aggressive for some of the bosses, which I found quite tricky because I naturally take a cautious, patient approach with bosses in games.
  • docrob 13 Mar 2020 13:11:06 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Yeah that fight taught me you need to be aggressive for some of the bosses, which I found quite tricky because I naturally take a cautious, patient approach with bosses in games.
    Make that a hat-trick - turns out the exact same strategy worked very nicely on Hornet in Kingdomís Edge!

Had several unsuccessful attempts before trying it again (once again, Quick Slash and Stalwart Shell are essential). Worked so well that after I won, it took me a couple of seconds to realise!

Home stretch now. Have reached the boss in Fog Canyon and figured out what you are supposed to do. Time for work!
  • ZuluHero 13 Mar 2020 22:03:25 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Keep at it! The end is in sight! You've learned so much and overcome a lot, and such a change in attitude over the past couple of weeks.

You can do it!

And so can you too Murbs!
  • docrob 14 Mar 2020 16:05:00 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fog Canyon done. Only the last boss to do. Of course, now I am tooling around in Queens Gardens trying to bag the last Stag Station.
  • docrob 14 Mar 2020 16:56:18 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And Iím done! Or I got to an ending, anyway.

Old HK was a lot less difficult than I expected. I beat him on my second try. Having Shade Soul makes bosses a whole lot easier - I-frames for the win!

Genuinely delighted. Finishing an arcade game this difficult is a rare feat for me. Canít recall the last time I managed it (DS3 doesnít count - it doesnít require the same degree of manual dexterity). Have a proper sense of achievement, because I didnít give up on it when I was tempted to and pushed on to the end,

81% complete - but with 47.5 hours played! (I told you I was really slow).

Going to take a break for a bit. May come back in a few days to do some of the optional bosses and try some of the more horrendous platforming. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I have had a blast.
  • RichDC 14 Mar 2020 17:09:52 8,815 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Hollow Knight isn't the last boss. :p
  • docrob 14 Mar 2020 17:14:19 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    The Hollow Knight isn't the last boss. :p
    I know - but heíll do me for just now. I have at least half a dozen in the body of the game I havenít fought in any case.
  • Murbs 14 Mar 2020 17:27:49 24,746 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nice one! I must be so far behind. Got to a section in the waterways where it suggested only a true warrior should continue.

I went the other way.
  • ZuluHero 14 Mar 2020 19:08:50 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DocRob wanted to give up and look where he is now.

Now he's chuffed that he's finished it with a sense of accomplishment and a new found respect for the game. Hopefully he can now see why we liked it so much.

I'm certain you can do it to. Use a guide if you have to, I won't judge :)
  • docrob 14 Mar 2020 19:18:37 1,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    DocRob wanted to give up and look where he is now.

Now he's chuffed that he's finished it with a sense of accomplishment and a new found respect for the game. Hopefully he can now see why we liked it so much.

I'm certain you can do it to. Use a guide if you have to, I won't judge :)
    I am! And I do. It took a long time to really get under my skin, but it really did. TBH I donít think you are as far from the end as you think. And I did use a guide intermittently, though I tried to explore each area Ďcoldí first without using it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.