Following Hollow Knight Page 53

Next Last
  • docrob 14 Mar 2020 19:20:56 1,540 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BTW, I am very much with whoever it was that said earlier in the thread Ďif I can do it then anyone caní. I was never that good at platform games in the first place, and I am 46.
  • Tomo 14 Mar 2020 19:53:44 17,630 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    docrob wrote:

I did use a guide intermittently, though I tried to explore each area Ďcoldí first without using it.

It's a gargantuan game to explore unassisted. I looked online initially when I was stuck, and that first look exposed me to a whole world of stuff I didn't realise. I think I mainly sought help when I wanted certain charms and I could've sworn I'd searched EVERYWHERE. There are little pockets here and there which can be very easy to miss, which is also a huge part of why the exploration can be so satisfying. It's doubled-edged. I managed to miss Quick Slash for most of the game and when I looked up where it was, I was quite annoyed at how I'd missed it.

When I 'finished' the game and read up everything, I was staggered at how much other stuff there was, and how hidden it is - some of it is nigh on impossible to find yourself. I've still not done everything and I won't bother with it all, but I got to a point where I was happy with my lot. Never managed to do the final challenge in the Colosseum though... grrrrrr.

I do intend to play Silksong completely blind though, to see if I can piece together the lore myself. Absolutely can't wait.

Edited by Tomo at 19:54:19 14-03-2020
  • docrob 14 Mar 2020 21:44:49 1,540 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thatís why I used a guide too. I donít have the time for second playthroughs of games, so I wanted to make sure I was getting as much as possible out of the first playthrough.
  • Murbs 15 Mar 2020 15:18:02 24,746 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So I finally found the dream nail! Guess that means Iím making progress. There was something of a monster closet up from Kingís Station that was giving me a headache too, though I finally beat it and got a soul upgrade for my trouble.
  • ZuluHero 15 Mar 2020 15:21:49 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Technically only a handful of bosses to the end! Doing well :)
  • Murbs 15 Mar 2020 15:51:17 24,746 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíve no doubt now that itís a fantastic game. It is just so frustrating at times. I took a glance at a guide (it seems to be acceptable) and that tells me to head now to Crystal Peak. But Iíve been there already! I guess thatís good game design.
  • Murbs 15 Mar 2020 15:53:02 24,746 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    BTW, I am very much with whoever it was that said earlier in the thread Ďif I can do it then anyone caní. I was never that good at platform games in the first place, and I am 46.
    Missed this. Iím 46 too! Old guys ftw

Edit: but not in a pervy way

Edited by Murbs at 15:53:30 15-03-2020
  • ZuluHero 15 Mar 2020 16:04:36 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wow, I'm glad I'm 5 years younger than you guys, otherwise my reflexes would have struggled like yours ;)
  • Murbs 15 Mar 2020 16:22:49 24,746 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    :p
  • docrob 15 Mar 2020 21:35:23 1,540 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    docrob wrote:

I think this could probably have been guessed from our avatars :D
  • docrob 15 Mar 2020 21:35:24 1,540 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    docrob wrote:

I think this could probably have been guessed from our avatars :D
  • Murbs 15 Mar 2020 22:37:50 24,746 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't see avatars here...

/old school EG
  • docrob 15 Mar 2020 22:48:40 1,540 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mine is Miner Willy. Is yours Fred?

EDIT: did a web search to refresh my memory. Itís not Fred - Iím guessing Sir Fred, but with Indiana Jones additions? Fred, the thought occurs, was a precursor of Spelunky.

Edited by docrob at 23:03:19 15-03-2020
  • docrob 15 Mar 2020 22:54:50 1,540 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In terms of what you do next, the guide I looked at did things in a completely different order from what I did. There are at least two new places I think you could go from here, maybe three.

Have you fought the Mantis Lords yet? (I delayed doing that for ages)
    Have you found any other ways out of the Royal Waterways?
    Thereís a route from Kingís Station you may not have considered (not the one youíve already used).
  • whatthefu 15 Mar 2020 23:49:15 1,322 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I completed it, then went back to the Mantis Lords and gave up all over again. Still found them really difficult, as with a lot of the bosses.
    Overall I was happy to only fight the bosses I had to, so I settled on the bad ending and moved on.
  • Red_Bool 16 Mar 2020 07:35:31 1,954 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Mantis Lords weren't that bad once you get the attack patterns.
    But yeah, I postponed that a couple of times as well...

Also, it's nice to see all the "old guys" enjoying this so much.
    I'm 47 myself and absolutely loved this, especially the mystery and exploration (so I did not use a guide until after the first (bad) ending).

Also, I'm not particularly "good" at these kind of games, but what I lack in skills I make up for with perseverance :) (see also Celeste and Dead Cells).
  • docrob 16 Mar 2020 08:55:16 1,540 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Going back to the Mantis Lords, I actually found them a lot easier than I expected. Probably because I had more health, a better nail and better charms than first time around. I had a bit of a problem with the double spinning discs attack, but once I figured out whether to stand still or jump, it was relatively straightforward.

At least when there are two of them they donít both attack at the same time. Thatís what makes the Watcher Knights such a nightmare.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.