Following Hollow Knight Page 16

• Deleted user 29 July 2018 16:08:39
    Started this earlier. Not that far in. Beat the first boss and I'm now in greenpath where some character keeps zipping off screen. Also killed a big bird that had another knight in it's mouth and that's it. Found a save point near what I think is the route to the next boss.

Great game though.
  • crashVoodoo 29 Jul 2018 16:33:41 6,016 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

TWO THOUSAND GEO. GONE
    !

😭
  • Phattso 30 Jul 2018 08:32:16 23,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh, maaaan. That sucks. I've somehow not lost a massive Geo haul yet, although I did once panic when I had 500 on my shade and used a certain means to collect it. 500. I hoover that up walking from A to B now, but back then it was an impossible amount. :)

Banged my head up against the wall of Lost Kin, my first Dream Boss target last night, but came to it fresh this morning and managed to succeed. Probably nine or ten attempts in all, most of them with bad charms that on reflection were never gonna work for me. Went all-in face tank in the end and that did the job on the second attempt.

Still can't beat the most traitorous of lords, but thankfully I now have the means to skip the annoying spiky platform trek that precedes it. :)

Edited by Phattso at 08:32:41 30-07-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 30 Jul 2018 08:47:39 4,165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    \o/ It makes it so much better doesnt it :)

sorry to hear about your geo Crash, i think i lost a similar amount a few times. It sucks massive balls.
  • PrivateFloyd 30 Jul 2018 09:10:48 5,156 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm 28 hours in now, think I'm missing one ability the double jump one but no idea where it is, haven't resorted to a guide yet.

Unearthed a huge part of deepnest that i hadnt discovered last night.

Not sure how anything is going to top this as my GOTY.
  • crashVoodoo 30 Jul 2018 12:48:20 6,016 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I think what sucks most of all is I realised I was in over my head so moved out of the way to quit and restart back at the bench. However the sneaky lasers on the rock crystal things still somehow had line of sight and burned me.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 12:48:40 30-07-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 30 Jul 2018 13:13:39 4,165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    ahhh yeah, they suck.

FYI if you can get the simple key it might be worth doing so. It can unlock a door to the right of dirtmouth and in there you have an NPC who, for the price of a rancid egg, will summon your shade to him.
  • Graxlar_v3 30 Jul 2018 13:13:39 4,165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    ahhh yeah, they suck.

FYI if you can get the simple key it might be worth doing so. It can unlock a door to the right of dirtmouth and in there you have an NPC who, for the price of a rancid egg, will summon your shade to him.
  • crashVoodoo 31 Jul 2018 00:25:22 6,016 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This game just keeps on unlocking layers. Found the crystal heart so I've been having fun with that in all the places I can use it.

Bought the lantern so went back to crystal peak and ended up somewhere and now have a dream nail that can tickle trees
  • Phattso 3 Aug 2018 09:57:48 23,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Time for another blog update. :)

Cheesed the hell out of the Traitor. Glad that one's off the books. Turns out, after scouring the lands and a quick look at the wiki, that I'd missed a decent charm early doors that complemented my favoured tactics quite well. Boss went down on the first attempt with that loadout. I love that the right loadout makes an insane challenge doable, but what I love more is that it's only the right loadout for ME. For someone else, with a different play style and different skills, it'd be a different loadout. That's how it feels at any rate.

Finally gained entrance to an area in the lower right that was frustrating me (the Hive) and absolutely steamrollered it. Accidentally stumbled onto the area boss with half health and kicked the shit out of it. \o/

Just one more of the Dreamers to get to (the one atop the tower) and that feels like I'm close to the end. Couple of random bosses left, two of the dream bosses left, and the Grimm Troupe.

Should be done in time for the next DLC!
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Aug 2018 10:00:07 4,165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Phattso have you done the white palace?
  • minky-kong 3 Aug 2018 10:05:12 13,951 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Phattso What was your charm combo for the Traitor Lord? I've still got to kill him, and haven't found the right charm combo yet.
  • Phattso 3 Aug 2018 10:06:32 23,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nope! No idea even what it is. I suspect there's something awaiting me once I have more Essence. Will mop up those guys in due course. :)

From what people have hinted at, it's a challenge I probably won't mess with too much. I'm way over 50hrs with the game now, and have achieved much more than I ever thought I would just to get here. A fully upgraded nail? UNACHIEVABLE! And yet... and yet.

Grey Prince was hilarious, by the way. That was quite the treat. :)
  • Phattso 3 Aug 2018 10:08:25 23,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    @Phattso What was your charm combo for the Traitor Lord? I've still got to kill him, and haven't found the right charm combo yet.
    I equipped: Sharp Shadow, Weaversong, Womb Thing, Defender's Crest, Spore Shroom, Thorns of Agony and then split my time between dashing through his attacks and letting the charms do the rest. I found that climbing the walls at either side let me reach relative safety whilst chipping away at the boss' hit points. The odd downward dive/swipe thrown in for good measure.
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Aug 2018 10:10:11 4,165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Phattso ahhh ok, its the area you have to go to get the second half of the charm you got from the traitor lord .

its an area you need to do to get access to the final boss
  • Deleted user 3 August 2018 10:16:14
    I got to a place called city of tears last night. I think it was called that. Not before I came across some triple boss fight down below.
  • Phattso 3 Aug 2018 14:27:27 23,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    its an area you need to do to get access to the final boss
    Weeeelllll shiiiit. Guess Iím gonna have to face it at some point. :)

Watcher Knights are next on my list. Come within a gnatís hairís breadth twice but canít quite nail the landing.
  • minky-kong 3 Aug 2018 14:49:01 13,951 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    I equipped: Sharp Shadow, Weaversong, Womb Thing, Defender's Crest, Spore Shroom, Thorns of Agony and then split my time between dashing through his attacks and letting the charms do the rest. I found that climbing the walls at either side let me reach relative safety whilst chipping away at the boss' hit points. The odd downward dive/swipe thrown in for good measure.
    Nice, sounds fairly similar to what I'm using now, so will give the twunt another attempt.
  • Deleted user 4 August 2018 00:14:46
    Meh, I can't beat that soul master boss and the trek back each time is getting on my tits. Love the game but hit a wall and an annoyance so might just abandon the fucker. Shame.
  • crashVoodoo 4 Aug 2018 01:04:34 6,016 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wade_Garrett wrote:
    Meh, I can't beat that soul master boss and the trek back each time is getting on my tits. Love the game but hit a wall and an annoyance so might just abandon the fucker. Shame.
    don't let him beat you down, this is a spike but you should have a nail upgrade by now and maybe an xtra life point. i've recently done this boss. His attack pattern is really simple if you pay attention. Also, look at your charms, you mmight be better mixing them up.

when he zooms across, dash jump over, land right behind and stab twice if you can.
    if he drops, jump out over the wave and then straight back and stab
    if he flys at you spinnin his balls, get under neath him and stab up while leaping the balls.

the section after this is quite therapeutic as you get to smash some shit up.
  • Deleted user 4 August 2018 01:39:34
    @crashVoodoo

Thanks for that. I'll have another do tomorrow. It's more the trek back that's starting to annoy. Just wish I was a bit closer.
  • WoodenSpoon 4 Aug 2018 07:26:19 12,346 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I stopped playing out of frustration with Soul Master but returned and beat him a few weeks later.

The bench placement is awful but I think there's a breakable wall nearby that makes the route to him very slightly quicker.
  • Phattso 4 Aug 2018 10:56:56 23,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @UncleLou there's a useful nugget of info in the post above this one - not sure if you've already located said 'shortcut'? Might make the Run of Infinite Rage slightly more palatable?

I might go back a few dozen pages and find what my own enraged posts were at this point in the game, because I felt exactly the same. :D

If it's any consolation, this was by far the most egregious boss run - but afterwards I really felt like anything was possible, because if I could beat *this* fucker, what else could phase me? Answer: a nearby boss, with the shortest run from a bench in the whole game, and a RIDONCULOUS challenge. :)
  • monkman76 4 Aug 2018 23:36:49 13,537 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Faze
  • Phattso 5 Aug 2018 09:16:46 23,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I could be talking about stepping out of sync with this corporeal reality. You donít know.
  • Lukree 5 Aug 2018 10:04:44 447 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What a game! Love the style and the overall design is really something. Controls are great. Demanding and sooooo rewarding once you can finally take a boss down. There is always a surprise around a corner. Perfect with Switch.
  • Deleted user 5 August 2018 20:38:30
    I am sooo close to beating soul master. I can feel it in me bones.
  • Deleted user 5 August 2018 21:35:22
    Annd the mother fucker is deaded!!
  • crashVoodoo 5 Aug 2018 22:04:32 6,016 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wade_Garrett wrote:
    Top work mate well done.

it's so satisfying finally taking down a challenge
  • Graxlar_v3 6 Aug 2018 08:22:16 4,165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Wade_Garrett wrote:
    \o/

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.