Following Hollow Knight Page 3

• Graxlar_v3 19 Jun 2018 10:20:02 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @monkman76 I have never used it to be honest, you can buy other markers that automatically update your map with a lot of the stuff you come across (shops, stag stations etc) so i just use them.
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Jun 2018 10:22:25 39,860 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Fungal Wastes

@monkman76 It is! It's a shame because I love everything else about the game, really. The character controls so well, the music is fantastic, the combat is fun, but it just takes too long to get to the good bits.

I guess I enjoy the mechanics of a game like this more in a linear game or a Roguelike.
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Jun 2018 10:24:16 39,860 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @monkman76 I've used the markers, but it's not that helpful for me. I guess I could do screenshots of (currently) inaccessible areas, together with a screenshot of the map, but I guess am too lazy to do that, to be honest.
  • Graxlar_v3 19 Jun 2018 10:26:38 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @UncleLou ahhh yeah, that bit sucks massive balls, i got lost for ages (not much further to be honest)

have you been to mantis village/ and got the ability there? also have you been to queens station?

i you have the new ability there should be a route slightly above you that unlocks an area below mantis village (and the area boss - though you get directed to go to another area first)

I cant quite remember where the map guy is sorry, but you can usually find him by following the pieces of paper and the humming.
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Jun 2018 10:30:16 39,860 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Cheers! I've been to the station you mention, but not to the village yet I think?

Will make an effort to get further tonight!
  • Switch024 19 Jun 2018 13:27:45 3,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is this worth getting then guys? I've been after a 2D platformer I can just pick up and play in short bursts, was looking at Celeste but this has caught my eye.
  • Graxlar_v3 19 Jun 2018 13:30:11 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Switch024 i am loving it, spent my lunch hour exploring a new area but not sure i would call this a 2d platformer.

This is a dark souls inspired metroidvania. It is really good but may not be to your tastes.
  • Frogofdoom 19 Jun 2018 13:33:21 10,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can definitely pick up and play in short bursts, however there is something occasionally wrong with the input. It's not enough to drive you mental but it will irritate you if you are sensitive to such things. I have stopped playing hoping they fix it with a patch. The other downside is the crazy amount of backtracking.

The pluses are great gameplay, a lovely visual + audio style and interesting combat. It's also very cheap for the amount of game you get.
  • Switch024 19 Jun 2018 13:40:13 3,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers, think I will give it a go, I've got some gold points to use up before June so it works out at around 8 quid.

How does the Dark Souls stuff work?
  • Graxlar_v3 19 Jun 2018 13:43:22 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Its a few things, its dark and foreboding - you feel a weight to the atmosphere, you cannot take any enemy lightly and if you die you respawn at the last bench (bonfire) you rested at and need to get back to your 'shade' to retrieve your shells.

There is no levelling etc but it is very dark soul-sy, you are constantly worried about whats around the next corner and hoping for a bench or a fast travel point.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 13:44:20 19-06-2018
  • Switch024 19 Jun 2018 13:57:48 3,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That all sounds great, thanks Grax definitely think I'll pick it up.
  • Switch024 20 Jun 2018 14:03:57 3,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only put in around an hour but so far so good, have beaten my first boss, got the map and compass and have just met some crafty snail shaman who's given me a spell but also locked me in a dungeon.

Great atmosphere and a lot of interesting NPCs that really add some colour to the game. Can see this becoming very addictive, I brought my Switch to work so I can have a quick go on my lunch.
  • Switch024 21 Jun 2018 10:20:34 3,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm surprised this thread is so quiet, especially considering how popular the Switch is on here.

I played a little more last night and got my first proper new ability which allows me to dash so should be able to access a couple of new areas. I think there's one right at the beginning.

Didn't find the Cartographer for the 3rd area so it's hard to remember my way around, got all the gear from the map shop but it seems to do nothing without the actual map.
  • Graxlar_v3 21 Jun 2018 10:26:41 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    i am about 12 hours in right now :)

I have faced (and eventually defeated) some rather tough bosses... last night nearly broke me though. I had been through a rather difficult area and had managed to get myself into an area so far away from civilization and no stags in sight. I was doing a boss run (broken vessel) which lead me down some rather torturous route. I eventually (on like the 5th attempt) managed to fuck up and lost the 1,500 shells i was carryng and had to turn the game off. 5 minutes later i turned it back on free from any weight (from carrying such a haul) i thought i would explore... only to find a shortcut that would have meant i did not have to do the horrible run to the boss every time and didn't need to lose all those shells.

I finally beat broken vessel and got the new upgrade and upped my nail another level and am back on exploring mode again :)
  • Graxlar_v3 21 Jun 2018 10:28:01 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Switch024 what is the third area again? if you beat the boss of the area before finding the map's you can pick it up from the shop keeper (which i have had to do few tmes)
  • Switch024 21 Jun 2018 10:37:18 3,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Good to know, I'm right near a Stag so will go and do just that. The 3rd area (for me at least) is Greenpath.

I actually had a similar experience (although the area isn't too difficult) where I stumbled into the boss fight with 700ish shells and very little health without finding a shortcut. Died straight away. Eventually worked my way back and released that all I needed to do was cut down a block to create a platform and you could get there in seconds.
  • Duffking 21 Jun 2018 10:39:44 15,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've made reasonably quick progress on my Switch playthrough, 11 hours in and I'm not far off where I got to on the PC.

Just got the King's Brand and have a huge number of charms, unlocked the Grimm Troupe DLC content, got all the nail artes and currently have 8 masks. Next trip is to the Abyss probably.
  • Graxlar_v3 21 Jun 2018 10:47:26 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Christ, i am on 6 masks (with half a 7th filled in) and i dont have any of the arts :/
  • monkman76 21 Jun 2018 11:38:48 13,742 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How bad is the issue where button presses don't register? Sounds unpleasant in this sort of game!
  • Graxlar_v3 21 Jun 2018 11:42:38 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    it hasnt bothered me that much to be honest. It is a minor annoyance but the ability to regain your health by collecting souls means it has never caused me great harm.
  • Rivuzu 21 Jun 2018 15:07:23 17,585 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've just started this, blind, and have no idea where I'm going.

But I am loving it.

I'll wait till I find a dead end, or something that needs gear, and explore more.
  • Rivuzu 21 Jun 2018 15:07:48 17,585 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've just started this, blind, and have no idea where I'm going.

But I am loving it.

I'll wait till I find a dead end, or something that needs gear, and explore more.
  • Graxlar_v3 21 Jun 2018 15:08:47 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Pretty much what i am doing, it is at points making me very nervous but i am loving it.
  • Skirlasvoud 21 Jun 2018 15:12:10 4,039 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    i am about 12 hours in right now :)

I have faced (and eventually defeated) some rather tough bosses... last night nearly broke me though. I had been through a rather difficult area and had managed to get myself into an area so far away from civilization and no stags in sight. I was doing a boss run (broken vessel) which lead me down some rather torturous route. I eventually (on like the 5th attempt) managed to fuck up and lost the 1,500 shells i was carryng and had to turn the game off. 5 minutes later i turned it back on free from any weight (from carrying such a haul) i thought i would explore... only to find a shortcut that would have meant i did not have to do the horrible run to the boss every time and didn't need to lose all those shells.

I finally beat broken vessel and got the new upgrade and upped my nail another level and am back on exploring mode again :)
    Mind that this is a game that doesn't sign post its zones and their difficulty very well.

I haven't played yet (though VERY tempted to do so), but I've seen several videos now of players being free to get themselves stuck in zones, several leagues above their mean and stubbornly persisting.

Sounds to me you've done just that.

• Graxlar_v3 21 Jun 2018 15:14:08 4,539 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    He was difficult because i was crap as opposed to being difficult because i was under levelled. I managed to beat him on the tenth or so go and moved on.
  • Switch024 21 Jun 2018 15:44:12 3,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I now have no idea where I'm going, reached a couple of currently inaccessible areas in Greenpath and Forgotten Crossroads. One area looks like I need a torch and a few others are locked gates so I'll probably have to go the long way round before I can get them open.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2018 18:21:56
    33hrs in and the endgame has arrived. Utterly magnificent, no other game has gripped me as much since Dark Souls. Also, no game has pissed me off so much for losing hundreds of credits stupidly since DS.
  • Duffking 21 Jun 2018 18:39:49 15,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Switch024 have you done the boss in Greenpath? You should be staying there until you've done that the minimum!
  • Switch024 21 Jun 2018 19:10:58 3,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Duffking Yeah done that and have a new ability just not sure where I'm off to next. Seems to be a lot places I still can't quite reach.
  • Duffking 21 Jun 2018 20:32:06 15,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Switch024 if you look in the lower parts of greenpath and the crossroads (bottom right of the former, bottom leftish of the latter) you should find some routes open to you, they'll both lead to the same area iirc

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.