Marvel Cinematic Universe Page 53

• ChiefGB 1 May 2019 11:48:25 11,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Derblington didnít say it didnít make sense, but by then it was just piling it all on, and the film was losing me. Iíll buy and watch it again. Maybe free of expectation and with time to reflect and soak it all in Iíll feel differently.
  • Derblington 1 May 2019 12:09:13 31,983 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maybe recap some of the old films - none of your issues are issues with what the films have laid out previously, they're all in keeping with the MCU.
  • themanfromdelmonte 2 May 2019 22:03:08 728 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed Endgame, it's not an outright success, like Infinity War is but I wasn't disappointed.

The thing that's sticking in my craw though, is how nonesensicle it is that the plan was to send Clint and Nat to Vormir. The least powerful pairing, with the least diverse skillset go to the place they have least information about. I only noticed because they chose to try and lampshade it, with the "All they have to do, is not fall out." comment.
  • DasBooter 2 May 2019 22:25:59 420 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep, send the two people with no space travel experience across the galaxy..
  • spurslol 2 May 2019 22:45:19 131 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    They could hardly send a raccoon and a cyborg after the soul stone
  • Farley2k 2 May 2019 23:12:15 205 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So many things I could pick on about the movie but taht isn't one for some reason.

I mean, obviously it was done because they had a personal relationship and one would be sacrificed but you every story has setups so plot points can happen.
  • nickthegun 2 May 2019 23:17:29 78,749 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The problem with Vormir is that Nebula and possibly Tony both know two men enter, one man leaves which makes sending two best buds there a bit sinister.
  • Derblington 2 May 2019 23:50:09 31,983 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't think anyone knows the terms of acquiring the stone other than Thanos though? Nebula knows that he killed Gamora on Vormir, but not why or how.
  • Mola_Ram 3 May 2019 00:04:55 21,486 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Captain America would have had an interesting experience returning the thing.
  • DasBooter 3 May 2019 05:29:24 420 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Haha yeah.

Maybe returning it you get a soul back.. = alive Black Widow again..
  • Mola_Ram 3 May 2019 07:37:46 21,486 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That and Red Skull being the person he's returning it to.
  • Baihu1983 3 May 2019 08:12:35 11,670 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I don't think anyone knows the terms of acquiring the stone other than Thanos though? Nebula knows that he killed Gamora on Vormir, but not why or how.
    They figured it out during infinity war. It's why star lord loses it and attacks Thanos just before they got the glove off
  • binky Moderator 3 May 2019 08:13:48 10,970 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Saw this last night after rewatching IW in the afternoon. It... it's not as good as that, is it?

There's some downright clunky stuff in this one, which feels at odds with what has been laid before. Some of the character development didn't sit particularly well with me (give me a smashy hulk any day of the week) and I felt I'd see the final act already in Ready Player One.

That said, it was still mostly enjoyable and the handling of grief/loss was well done. Solid performances from everyone involved. It certainly wasn't the film I was expecting it to be.
    Where IW is a great standalone film whether your invested in the franchise or not, I can't imagine this one being at all relevant to anyone that's not been enjoying the 11 years of build-up.
  • Derblington 3 May 2019 08:43:21 31,983 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    They figured it out during infinity war. It's why star lord loses it and attacks Thanos just before they got the glove off
    Yeah...
    Quill: Where is she?
    The chick with the antenna: He's in anguish... he mourns!
    Nebula: He took her to Vormir. He came back with the Soul Stone, but she didn't.
    And then Quill loses it.

They know she died there, not why.
  • nickthegun 3 May 2019 08:52:45 78,749 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, a blue space computer and a super genius definitely couldn't have worked out why thanos turned up alone and crying after going after something called 'the soul stone'.
  • minky-kong 3 May 2019 09:28:33 14,396 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Cap returning all the stones doesn't hold up to any scrutiny at all, but that bit in particular raises all sort of awkward questions.
  • Mola_Ram 3 May 2019 09:43:03 21,486 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Cap returning all the stones doesn't hold up to any scrutiny at all, but that bit in particular raises all sort of awkward questions.
    Eh, I'm willing to handwave it, though it did have a whiff of "oh fuck we've been going for 3 hours now... uhhh... Cap returns all the things the end" desperation.

The most glaring thing for me in terms of wrapping stuff up, was the lack of any sort of funeral for Black Widow. Like, she's been in the movies almost since the beginning, and she's barely even mentioned after she dies.

Though I guess they might be bringing her back somehow.
  • Technoishmatt 3 May 2019 09:55:53 3,543 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a comic book story. She is coming back.
  • Baihu1983 3 May 2019 10:06:29 11,670 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Eh, I'm willing to handwave it, though it did have a whiff of "oh fuck we've been going for 3 hours now... uhhh... Cap returns all the things the end" desperation.

The most glaring thing for me in terms of wrapping stuff up, was the lack of any sort of funeral for Black Widow. Like, she's been in the movies almost since the beginning, and she's barely even mentioned after she dies.

Though I guess they might be bringing her back somehow.
    The writers response to this was,

How do you know it didn't happen off screen?
  • Mola_Ram 3 May 2019 10:11:02 21,486 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    The writers response to this was,

How do you know it didn't happen off screen?
    Uh huh. And my response to that is, generally if something is important you want to show it on the screen. Like it's a movie.

I dunno... without wanting to get all culture war in here, I think these movies in general have been pretty iffy to most of their female characters. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
  • Alan_Wakes_Torch 3 May 2019 10:47:14 19 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Uh huh. And my response to that is, generally if something is important you want to show it on the screen. Like it's a movie.
    Scarlet Johannson has at least 1 more movie left on her contract though its likely to be two. In a movie thats already pushing 3 hours you don't really need to say goodbye to a character that will be back. For all we know the Black Widow movie could be her funereal with eulogies being flashbacks to events in her past
  • Mola_Ram 3 May 2019 10:48:43 21,486 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess, but it feels pretty weird. The other characters presumably don't know that she's contracted for another movie.
  • Rivuzu 3 May 2019 10:50:25 18,220 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doctor Strange saw 14,600,005 possible futures, and in only 1 did ScarJo get another movie.
  • nickthegun 3 May 2019 11:02:50 78,749 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Her most interesting story would be a pre-superhero spy caper. The problem is, they already made Red Sparrow so.... yeah... who gives a fuck?
  • Derblington 3 May 2019 11:06:16 31,983 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    It's a comic book story. She is coming back.
    She may, but that excuse isn't going to hold up.

In comicbooks its easy to redraw the same character over and over for decades. It's a bit harder with ageing actors and movie contracts. Death is going to be permanent more often here by necessity.
  • SnackPlissken 3 May 2019 11:12:48 1,199 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Her most interesting story would be a pre-superhero spy caper. The problem is, they already made Red Sparrow so.... yeah... who gives a fuck?
    We need more female lead marvel things. So said the studio exec.
  • Fleming569 4 May 2019 05:45:19 1 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a shared universe created by Marvel Studios, designated as Earth-199999 within Marvel's multiverse system walgreenslistens

Edited by Fleming569 at 05:09:12 13-05-2019
  • JamboWayOh 4 May 2019 09:11:04 15,064 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fleming569 wrote:
    The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a shared universe created by Marvel Studios, designated as Earth-199999 within Marvel's multiverse system
    Interesting, I want to know more.
  • drhickman1983 4 May 2019 10:17:23 6,071 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think having another funeral scene in the film for Black Widow might have just been a shit in terms of pacing.

We could have a funeral scene immediately after, maybe, but having a formal funeral then would really slam the brakes on. We get to see Hulk and co mourn though. It's enough.

Alternatively, we could have two funerals at the end, which would also be shit for pacing. It would literally be another shot of people wearing black with a slow camera pan, and it'd be too similar.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 10:17:38 04-05-2019
  • thelzdking 4 May 2019 10:35:40 9,567 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They could have given the funerals their own film.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.