Following Marvel Cinematic Universe Page 96

• Your-Mother 29 Mar 2021 16:07:16 7,393 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He could use it to create some feet for Liefied Cap.
  • neems 29 Mar 2021 17:04:41 5,392 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Can't remember where I found this, but its a intersting read into the background of the Isiah character
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-uncovers-marvels-original-sin

Until it gets to the point about aging, at which point the author seems to have forgotten about Cap being stuck in an iceblock and Bucky having sleepy time.
    Sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind a show / movie based on that storyline.
  • Wayne 2 Apr 2021 19:51:48 3,370 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So did they just completely retcon Zemo?

Edited by Wayne at 19:52:09 02-04-2021
  • captbirdseye 2 Apr 2021 23:13:37 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The show is just full of plot holes now which I can kinda of put with but why the hell is it so fucking boring. It's at the half way point and it's still going on about the fucking boat.

Edited by captbirdseye at 23:13:49 02-04-2021
  • kentmonkey 2 Apr 2021 23:19:32 24,254 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Falcon's only real power is his suit.

He now no longer wears, or uses, his suit.

He is now an Avenger, who's superpowers are a quip and a 'oh you did not just say that' facial expression.

Next episode - Apocalypse turns up and he bests him in man to man combat while Bucky Barnes hunts more marbles and Baron Zemo becomes Sentry.
  • dfunked09 2 Apr 2021 23:51:08 2,001 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I had to laugh at an IMDb list of 24 comic adaptations coming soon that I should be hyped for.

More than half of the list seemed to be Disney+ shows that I can't summon a tiny bit of enthusiasm for. Hawkeye? Ms Marvel?... I can barely be bothered to watch an episode of falcon and Bucky as it is.
  • Your-Mother 2 Apr 2021 23:57:07 7,393 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Falcon's only real power is his suit.

He now no longer wears, or uses, his suit.

He is now an Avenger, who's superpowers are a quip and a 'oh you did not just say that' facial expression.

Next episode - Apocalypse turns up and he bests him in man to man combat while Bucky Barnes hunts more marbles and Baron Zemo becomes Sentry.
    They’ve run into the “too many heroes” problem, in that if everyone is super powered then there’s very little sense of threat. So they’ve deliberately nerfed people (John Walker/Captain America is now just PEAK HUMAN, Falcon is DENIED A BANK LOAN) to add tension to the smaller stories, and yeah, it’s really not working too well at the moment. Who really gives a shit about super soldiers when the good guys have literal gods, many dozens of magic users, and time travel sat in their back pocket?

Edited by Your-Mother at 23:58:17 02-04-2021
  • Technoishmatt 3 Apr 2021 02:09:29 5,163 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's just a bit "meh".
  • neems 3 Apr 2021 08:18:20 5,392 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just find it a bit strange that the new Captain America (and Battlestar lol) despite being career military don't take guns anywhere. We've already established that these super soldiers can be stopped with bullets.
  • PierrePressure 3 Apr 2021 08:23:10 1,404 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He did use a gun in episode 2 but I get your point.

I don't mind this but Wandavision was so much more interesting. Hopefully Loki will embrace a bit more of the weird of the MCU.
  • neems 3 Apr 2021 08:32:03 5,392 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I genuinely don't remember that. I'm quite happy to watch it but I guess I'm not taking it all in.

Invincible on Amazon Prime is really good though.
  • davidfowles 3 Apr 2021 09:17:56 442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I don’t mind it either and I’m glad it’s so much less interesting than WandaVision because I’m not aggravated waiting each week. There’s no mysteries and nothing interesting except for whatever stunt casting they might have done for Power Broker, who’ll probably be Sharon Carter in a move that makes zero sense.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Apr 2021 09:31:39 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @neems is all of Invincible up or is it being drip fed to us?
  • TechnoHippy 3 Apr 2021 09:33:19 19,031 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    PierrePressure wrote:
    I don't mind this but Wandavision was so much more interesting. Hopefully Loki will embrace a bit more of the weird of the MCU.
    Pretty much what I was about to post. I don't dislike it, but it's far from great so far.
  • askew 3 Apr 2021 09:37:53 23,262 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought Power Broker was Annie Lennox. Guess I needed to pay better attention.
  • captbirdseye 3 Apr 2021 09:50:42 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tonally it's all over place and it can't really make up it's mind what it wants to be. One minute they are bickering like a Tucker/Chan, then they make some kind of social commentary and finally shake their heads and make some jokes when the evil guy executes their prisoner.

Not really keen what they've done with the Flag Smashers either.

Sharon Carter's character is also hilariously awful and I have no idea what they were thinking with this backstory - She's probably Skrull.

Edited by captbirdseye at 09:51:18 03-04-2021

Edited by captbirdseye at 09:53:05 03-04-2021
  • Load_2.0 3 Apr 2021 11:35:09 33,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Haven't seen it yet but really hoping they delve into the bank loans conundrum.

Hoping it's a theme that comes up again in Eternals or the wider universe.
  • captbirdseye 3 Apr 2021 11:48:41 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mcguffinboatface
  • kentmonkey 3 Apr 2021 19:32:44 24,254 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Invincible is fantastic (Amazon Prime - as has been mentioned on this page) if anyone hasn't seen it yet. Only the first 3-4 episodes up but it's brilliant. Can't recommend it enough.

Falcon and Winter Soldier is...I dunno. It's not awful so I can't muster the passion to get really angry at it, but then it's also so utterly dull that I can't really muster much desire to watch any more of it.

With Wanda, despite me hating what they did with Agatha Harkness, generally I quite liked what they did. I didn't think it was great, and I wouldn't watch it again, but I like that they tried something a little different. I do honestly think had they not tried to do a left turn with Agatha, and had her character as she should have been and her being there to get the best out of Wanda to defeat an even more powerful villain, it could have been a lot more interesting. But her character aside, it tried stuff. It didn't always land, but it tried.

This...it's tonally like an 80s/90s US police sitcom, trying to be an edgy drama. Turning already fairly dull characters into even duller characters.

I do think the race/social issues it very, very briefly touches on could have made for an interesting show in the Marvel Universe. But whether it's poor directing or really poor casting (and I guess they were stuck with the cast from the films, who maybe may have been fine for their limited film roles but not to carry 50mins of TV each week) it doesn't work.
  • davidfowles 3 Apr 2021 22:06:57 442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    One thing I’ll say about this episode, the script is very poor. The “Zemo is rich now” retcon feels ridiculous against his Civil War story. But the actual stuff people are saying and the lack of originality and believability in the plot (they work with Zemo? Seriously?) all show a lack of polish that is highly unusual for MCU projects.

The stuff with Sharon Carter is pretty cringey.

They were right to lead with WandaVision, this stuff is okay but if it were cancelled tomorrow I wouldn’t lay awake even a moment wondering about what I was missing.
  • Technoishmatt 4 Apr 2021 01:05:36 5,163 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Karli Morgenthau and crew are also fairly terrible.
  • neems 4 Apr 2021 02:08:23 5,392 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Sorry maybe, I was at work. Like the man said, it has four episodes up - three dropped week one and then one every Friday from then on.
  • Load_2.0 4 Apr 2021 08:03:02 33,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I like it. It has Marvels £££ production values and I'm curious enough to see where it goes.

It's on a par with Wandavision for me. The trapped in TV land trope wasn't particularly new or original so I was frustrated that they wasted episodes, where as (aside from boat chat) this has dived straight in which I appreciate. Especially as there's plenty of existing backstory for most of the characters.

As with all Marvel stuff the quality of acting varies across the cast but it's pretty to look at and easily to devour.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 08:07:12 04-04-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Apr 2021 08:22:42 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Starting Wandavision today after catching up with Endgame last night. Get the feeling the Pleasantville stuff might benefit from binge watching rather than a weekly release from what everyone says
  • davidfowles 4 Apr 2021 11:12:44 442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The weekly release was excruciating, especially as there’s no other reason to have Disney+
  • johnnyrocketfingers 4 Apr 2021 12:24:07 373 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Zemo was not retconned. He was formerly an elite paramilitary intelligence dude and almost every time a character is like that they've always had a network of blah blah as well as being multilingual expert tacticians, hackers, engineers, combatants.
  • nickthegun 4 Apr 2021 12:49:19 86,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They have given him a bit of a personality transplant, though. He’s not Sad Dad anymore, really.
  • Wayne 4 Apr 2021 13:59:11 3,370 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    johnnyrocketfingers wrote:
    Zemo was not retconned. He was formerly an elite paramilitary intelligence dude and almost every time a character is like that they've always had a network of blah blah as well as being multilingual expert tacticians, hackers, engineers, combatants.
    Can you point me to a scene in any of the movies prior to FaTWS that shows this?
  • Raiftel 4 Apr 2021 14:09:56 268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Wayne https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/EKO_Scorpion

From CIVIL WAR. They discuss it just before everyone goes to the Winter Soldir base.

Edited by Raiftel at 14:10:47 04-04-2021
  • Wayne 4 Apr 2021 15:06:11 3,370 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Raiftel I don’t know, there’s a vast chasm between soldier in special ops, and having your own jet and butler.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.